Forums46
Topics537,798
Posts9,729,262
Members87,042
Most Online25,604
Feb 12th, 2024
Print Thread
Page 2 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Re: Why we wear masks (and wash our hands) [Re: Texas buckeye] #7894411 07/08/20 05:21 PM
D
ducknbass Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
D
I love how the left yes the left has thrown hand washing in the mix. Now if I don't want to wear a mask I'm a neanderthal. Don't wash hands.

It's a typical leftist tactic. If you have guns you're a violent murderer, if you're white your racist etc.

Good job buckeye.

Re: Why we wear masks (and wash our hands) [Re: Texas buckeye] #7894412 07/08/20 05:21 PM
B
Bullfrog Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
B
MAN there is almost nothing worse than someone who's a spitter when they talk! bolt

[Linked Image]
Originally Posted by machinist
Man if I knew what Oxner knows I could throw away what I know
Re: Why we wear masks (and wash our hands) [Re: Texas buckeye] #7894413 07/08/20 05:22 PM
P
pegasaurus Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
P
Interesting thesis.

What studies have you found that show how it is possible for people to be infected and not show symptoms?

What is the percentage of people that are infected but don’t show symptoms and are still capable of shedding virus?

What statistical analysis have you found that shows the probability of a healthy person contracting the virus from a person that is infected but is asymptomatic?

What statistical analysis have you found that shows the probability of a healthy people becoming infected while wearing a mask versus not wearing a mask?

What studies have you found that shows the smallest media particle that can host a virus and still be spread. ie. vaping, smoking, aerosolized fluids such as saliva, sputum or other fluid from a sneeze or cough?

Funny thing about getting older:
Your eyesight starts getting weaker but your ability to
see through people's BS gets much better.
Re: Why we wear masks (and wash our hands) [Re: BradyBuck] #7894419 07/08/20 05:26 PM
T
Texas buckeye Online Content OP
THF Celebrity
OP Online Content
THF Celebrity
T
Originally Posted by BradyBuck
Problem with masks is that literally nobody wears them appropriately.

They touch their face nose and mouth more with a mask on and then touch everything else around them.

Not to mention usually a spit, snot and sweat soaked cloth mask.

Interestingly, studies have show people touch their face less when wearing a mask than when not. You might be confusing touching the mask with touching the face. You aren't going to transmit virus to your mouth, nose, or eyes, by simply touching a cloth over your face (as long as you don't then rub your eyes, nose or mouth with those same dirty hands). I think thats the important issue that is being neglected in all this talk.

Re: Why we wear masks (and wash our hands) [Re: ducknbass] #7894430 07/08/20 05:31 PM
T
THF Celebrity
OP Online Content
THF Celebrity
T
Originally Posted by ducknbass
I love how the left yes the left has thrown hand washing in the mix. Now if I don't want to wear a mask I'm a neanderthal. Don't wash hands.

It's a typical leftist tactic. If you have guns you're a violent murderer, if you're white your racist etc.

Good job buckeye.

Glad you are keeping your eye on the prize man. Where did that come from? Hand washing has beena staple in the health world for such a long time I can't even think of when it wasn't....so now all of the sudden it is a lefist tactic to tell people to wash their hands? What hermit world have you lived in the last century? From as early as the civil war, medics realized doing amputations with clean hands gave a better outcome, and since then hand sanitation has been a "thing"

Re: Why we wear masks (and wash our hands) [Re: pegasaurus] #7894432 07/08/20 05:34 PM
T
THF Celebrity
OP Online Content
THF Celebrity
T
Originally Posted by pegasaurus
Interesting thesis.

What studies have you found that show how it is possible for people to be infected and not show symptoms?

What is the percentage of people that are infected but don’t show symptoms and are still capable of shedding virus?

What statistical analysis have you found that shows the probability of a healthy person contracting the virus from a person that is infected but is asymptomatic?

What statistical analysis have you found that shows the probability of a healthy people becoming infected while wearing a mask versus not wearing a mask?

What studies have you found that shows the smallest media particle that can host a virus and still be spread. ie. vaping, smoking, aerosolized fluids such as saliva, sputum or other fluid from a sneeze or cough?

I have not looked at any of those specific questions, so I don't have an answer. If you would like to find some stuff I would be happy to discuss. I think a lot of it is unknown with COVID-19, since it is such a new virus. I am sure info is available for things like influenze and cold, but you can't simply extrapolate data from this viruses to COVID since it is a different virus.

Re: Why we wear masks (and wash our hands) [Re: Texas buckeye] #7894436 07/08/20 05:35 PM
Mike W Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Originally Posted by Texas buckeye
I dealt with the mask size vs virus size already. If you can show me how a free single virus survives outside media and can float in air, then I will give you that point....but I don't think you will ever be able to do that. If you have evidence the virus is free floating in the air, please share it. This point is another example of how you talk about stuff you don't know anything about.

I know these guys probably have no clue.. but here it is:

https://academic.oup.com/cid/article/doi/10.1093/cid/ciaa939/5867798?searchresult=1

You aren't going to transmit virus to your mouth, nose, or eyes, by simply touching a cloth over your face (as long as you don't then rub your eyes, nose or mouth with those same dirty hands).

Why would rubbing the eyes be a problem?

This cannot be fixed at the voting booth.. Wake Up You Morons!
Re: Why we wear masks (and wash our hands) [Re: Texas buckeye] #7894439 07/08/20 05:39 PM
D
ducknbass Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
D

Good job buckeye.

Glad you are keeping your eye on the prize man. Where did that come from? Hand washing has beena staple in the health world for such a long time I can't even think of when it wasn't....so now all of the sudden it is a lefist tactic to tell people to wash their hands? What hermit world have you lived in the last century? From as early as the civil war, medics realized doing amputations with clean hands gave a better outcome, and since then hand sanitation has been a "thing"

up not today Bois d arc not to day.

Re: Why we wear masks (and wash our hands) [Re: Texas buckeye] #7894442 07/08/20 05:42 PM
B
Bullfrog Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
B
Never have I felt a stronger urge to rub my face and eyes than this very second! lol

[Linked Image]
Originally Posted by machinist
Man if I knew what Oxner knows I could throw away what I know
Re: Why we wear masks (and wash our hands) [Re: Mike W] #7894453 07/08/20 05:48 PM
T
THF Celebrity
OP Online Content
THF Celebrity
T
Originally Posted by Mike W
I dealt with the mask size vs virus size already. If you can show me how a free single virus survives outside media and can float in air, then I will give you that point....but I don't think you will ever be able to do that. If you have evidence the virus is free floating in the air, please share it. This point is another example of how you talk about stuff you don't know anything about.

I know these guys probably have no clue.. but here it is:

https://academic.oup.com/cid/article/doi/10.1093/cid/ciaa939/5867798?searchresult=1

You aren't going to transmit virus to your mouth, nose, or eyes, by simply touching a cloth over your face (as long as you don't then rub your eyes, nose or mouth with those same dirty hands).

Why would rubbing the eyes be a problem?

Rubbing ones mucosal surfaces with infected hands is a leading cause of infecting yourself with a disease. The eyes being a mucosal surface could be a site where if virus was actively introduced, could lead to an infection. But that would be self inflicted, as this stuff isn't just floating in the air. A person with contaminated hands who rubs their eyes is not going to be protected by wearing facemask or goggles and more than a person rubbing their mouth or nose is protected by wearing a mask. Wash your hands. Thats your answer.

Regarding the link, I am not sure what your point was. the article talks about virus living inside micro-droplets from known infected people....it isn't anything about free virus floating in the air. It also says the route of "air" is not fully understood or accepted, but the measures they give are essentially cost free, easy, and should pose no problem to help stem the tide. If you see where it says free virus was floating int he air, please quote it and show me. I didn't see anywhere it discussed free virus floating by itself.

Re: Why we wear masks (and wash our hands) [Re: Texas buckeye] #7894472 07/08/20 06:01 PM
P
pegasaurus Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
P
Originally Posted by pegasaurus
Interesting thesis.

I have not looked at any of those specific questions, so I don't have an answer. If you would like to find some stuff I would be happy to discuss. I think a lot of it is unknown with COVID-19, since it is such a new virus. I am sure info is available for things like influenze and cold, but you can't simply extrapolate data from this viruses to COVID since it is a different virus.

So your supposition is that masks can be effective against this virus but you have no data to support your case.
confused2

How can this be a serious conversation?

Funny thing about getting older:
Your eyesight starts getting weaker but your ability to
see through people's BS gets much better.
Re: Why we wear masks (and wash our hands) [Re: Texas buckeye] #7894473 07/08/20 06:02 PM
Mike W Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Rubbing ones mucosal surfaces with infected hands is a leading cause of infecting yourself with a disease. The eyes being a mucosal surface could be a site where if virus was actively introduced, could lead to an infection. But that would be self inflicted, as this stuff isn't just floating in the air. A person with contaminated hands who rubs their eyes is not going to be protected by wearing facemask or goggles and more than a person rubbing their mouth or nose is protected by wearing a mask. Wash your hands. Thats your answer.

Thanks for the answer, I have read that it can enter through the eyes much the same way it enters through the nose.

https://www.ucsf.edu/news/2020/06/4...es-science-behind-how-face-masks-prevent

Regarding the link, I am not sure what your point was. the article talks about virus living inside micro-droplets from known infected people....it isn't anything about free virus floating in the air. It also says the route of "air" is not fully understood or accepted, but the measures they give are essentially cost free, easy, and should pose no problem to help stem the tide. If you see where it says free virus was floating int he air, please quote it and show me. I didn't see anywhere it discussed free virus floating by itself.

But wouldn't it float in the air if a person infected with CV19 enters a room and coughs? I believe that is what's meant by "It is Time to Address Airborne Transmission of COVID-19". I did not intend for it to sound like the virus just floats around lol.

Re: Why we wear masks (and wash our hands) [Re: Texas buckeye] #7894478 07/08/20 06:09 PM
texasag93 Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Scientifically, TB is correct.

He is not addressing the control, overreach of power, and all the other stuff.

Re: Why we wear masks (and wash our hands) [Re: texasag93] #7894480 07/08/20 06:11 PM
Mike W Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Originally Posted by texasag93

He makes perfect sense, as long as we aren't talking about creatures with eyes, or airborne droplets, or the viral susceptibility of masks in general.

Re: Why we wear masks (and wash our hands) [Re: Mike W] #7894481 07/08/20 06:12 PM
T
THF Celebrity
OP Online Content
THF Celebrity
T

Thanks for the answer, I have read that it can enter through the eyes much the same way it enters through the nose.

But wouldn't it float in the air if a person infected with CV19 enters a room and coughs? I believe that is what's meant by "It is Time to Address Airborne Transmission of COVID-19". I did not intend for it to sound like the virus just floats around lol.

Yes, the droplets do travel through the air, but they don't just float around, they go out and gravity affects them so they eventually settle.
Thats what I said at the beginning of this thread, a mask can prevent the droplets from going anywhere from a infected person, that sneeze or cough and the droplets are contained for the most part in the mask. And the little that is remaining doesn't have the force or power to travel far, and if it does, the person wearing the mask on the other end will help filter some of this out. And then, what little remains, can be dealt with by the intact immune system. The little that gets out and falls onto counters or whatever then gets dealt with by hand washing.

We are trying to minimize the mass of innoculant in people being sneezed on, coughed on, etc...small amounts are able to be dealt with. Large amounts are where the problem lies. Also why I said masks can be effective, but not preventative. The only thing that can prevent someone from getting any illness is to not come in contact with anyone or anything anyone has touched.

Does that make sense?

Re: Why we wear masks (and wash our hands) [Re: Texas buckeye] #7894483 07/08/20 06:13 PM
S
S.A. hunter Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
S
I hope what he posted didnt blow people away...... that would be sad.

All this hoopla about mask doesn't do anything to stop the virus. It will spead until it can spread no more......

Re: Why we wear masks (and wash our hands) [Re: BradyBuck] #7894486 07/08/20 06:18 PM
Txhunter65 Online Content
Veteran Tracker
Online Content
Veteran Tracker
Originally Posted by BradyBuck
Problem with masks is that literally nobody wears them appropriately.

They touch their face nose and mouth more with a mask on and then touch everything else around them.

Not to mention usually a spit, snot and sweat soaked cloth mask.

To BradyBucks point, I do touch my nose/mouth area more when I wear a mask, its hard not to. Have there ever been any studies to document how often a person touches there nose/mouth area when they aren't wearing a mask compared to when they are? In the OP it seems the major reason for wearing a mask is to avoid medium from leaving your body via a sneeze or a cough. Couldn't the sneezer/cougher simply raise their shirt over their nose and sneeze/cough into their shirt?

Re: Why we wear masks (and wash our hands) [Re: Texas buckeye] #7894488 07/08/20 06:20 PM
Superduty Online Content
"The Regulator"
Online Content
"The Regulator"

Yes, the droplets do travel through the air, but they don't just float around, they go out and gravity affects them so they eventually settle.
Thats what I said at the beginning of this thread, a mask can prevent the droplets from going anywhere from a infected person, that sneeze or cough and the droplets are contained for the most part in the mask. And the little that is remaining doesn't have the force or power to travel far, and if it does, the person wearing the mask on the other end will help filter some of this out. And then, what little remains, can be dealt with by the intact immune system. The little that gets out and falls onto counters or whatever then gets dealt with by hand washing.

We are trying to minimize the mass of innoculant in people being sneezed on, coughed on, etc...small amounts are able to be dealt with. Large amounts are where the problem lies. Also why I said masks can be effective, but not preventative. The only thing that can prevent someone from getting any illness is to not come in contact with anyone or anything anyone has touched.

Does that make sense?

Who sneezes in their mask?

'It's Only Treason if You Lose."
Re: Why we wear masks (and wash our hands) [Re: Texas buckeye] #7894493 07/08/20 06:22 PM
cbump Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Why does TB feel the need to constantly talk about this? Constantly.

Re: Why we wear masks (and wash our hands) [Re: Mike W] #7894495 07/08/20 06:22 PM
T
THF Celebrity
OP Online Content
THF Celebrity
T
Originally Posted by texasag93

He makes perfect sense, as long as we aren't talking about creatures with eyes, or airborne droplets, or the viral susceptibility of masks in general.

Think of it this way MIke, if someone sick with the wuhan was in front of you and sneezed, and you were unprotected from a mask and face shiedl, you would get smattered with all kinds of spittle, droplets, etc...disgusting yes. Possible to pass covid, yes. How often has that happened to people? To me never. Yuck!

Same situation, and a mask is worn on the person sneezing, where does all that spittle and drolet go? In their mask, not on your face. Risk of transmitting infection drops precipitously.

Now if you are wearing a mask and a person wearing a mask sneezes, you risk goes even lower yet. It isn't 100% protective, as I have said from the get go, but it reduces your risk considerably. Thats the reason. If you cant see that, I don't know what to tell you. We aren't trying to filter viruses by mask use, we are trying to mitigate the droplet and spittle transmission from infected people(because that is how the virus transmits). Wearing a mask when you aren't sick is a double layer of protection. Heck, we all know about how doubling up can give a little extra protection now don't we? banana

Re: Why we wear masks (and wash our hands) [Re: ducknbass] #7894496 07/08/20 06:23 PM
T
TXHOGSLAYER Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
T

Good job buckeye.

up not today Bois d arc not to day.

roflmao Nailed it! roflmao

LETS GO BRANDON
Re: Why we wear masks (and wash our hands) [Re: cbump] #7894502 07/08/20 06:26 PM
T
THF Celebrity
OP Online Content
THF Celebrity
T
Originally Posted by cbump
Why does TB feel the need to constantly talk about this? Constantly.

Because someone in another thread called me out and said I didn't answer his question about it twice. Truth be told I never saw the question, still have no idea what the question was because he didn't give the question again, but I figured it had something to do with a MEME he posted. So thats why I brought it up.

And because there are a lot of people that don't understand the "why" behind the mask order. I am not trying to be some db know it all, but sometimes telling the truth and speaking the truth makes you sound like one. I apologize if I am offending you, but some of this info needs to get out for the forum public to see because there is a lot of misinformation out there.

Re: Why we wear masks (and wash our hands) [Re: Texas buckeye] #7894505 07/08/20 06:28 PM
T
TLew Online Content
Veteran Tracker
Online Content
Veteran Tracker
T
TB - I appreciate you trying, but it won't work. Some folks here refuse to use common sense that a mask could even reduce the probability of transmission 1%, other folks feel like wearing a mask is the equivalent of giving away all they've worked for their whole life. I wear one when I think I need to, and I don't when I think I don't need to. I don't want to get other folks sick, but I am not personally scared of catching it. From everything you've said, I think I've heard the same come out of your keyboard.

Instead, I think we can join in together by pointing and laughing at folks driving around with masks on -- the only excuses are they are an uber driver or they have worse common sense than some folks on this board.

Re: Why we wear masks (and wash our hands) [Re: Texas buckeye] #7894511 07/08/20 06:31 PM
T
THF Celebrity
OP Online Content
THF Celebrity
T
Yes, I love the lone drivers wearing masks...cracks me up every time.

Tlew, again the sole purpose for this thread was in response to being called out in another thread by name....I never saw a question directed at me, and when asked he said i ignored it twice. He must be busy working his snakes this am because he has been silent so far.

Re: Why we wear masks (and wash our hands) [Re: Texas buckeye] #7894513 07/08/20 06:33 PM
C
Cool Mo D Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
C
Y'all are wasting your time trying to talk to this man.

Page 2 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide