Page 1 of 2 1 2
RIFLE HOLD #7893604 07/07/20 11:29 PM
D
DLALLDER Offline OP
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
D
I have read, been told that when shooting you needed to see the bullet strike the target. I have never been able to do that, WHY? Am I just not holding rifle hard enough, maybe rifle is set-up incorrect. Give me your opinion, please. Thanks Daniel

Re: RIFLE HOLD [Re: DLALLDER] #7893623 07/07/20 11:39 PM
D
DStroud Online Content
Extreme Tracker
Online Content
Extreme Tracker
D
There are some variables that have to be met to accomplish that goal. Taking the recoil down and a scope with enough power to see impact but not too much power so that even slight recoil causes sight picture loss.

I watch impact on long range steel with a 28 Nosler and a 25x Scope all the time.... I have a BIG muzzle brake.

"Anyone taking up handloading necessarily plays with unknown factors and takes chances. But so does anyone who drives a car,goes to a cocktail party,eats in a restaurant,or gets married."

Jack O'Connor 1963
Re: RIFLE HOLD [Re: DLALLDER] #7893626 07/07/20 11:41 PM
T
Texas Dan Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
T
When hunting, seeing the reaction of the animal to the shot means you didn't have your eyes closed, which usually means you didn't flinch.

However, seeing the shot doesn't necessarily mean it was a good shot. I've heard the phrase "lost him in the cross hairs" sometimes used to describe when a shooter stops paying attention to where the cross hairs are pointing and misses the target. It usually happens when the shooter gets caught up in the moment and makes a last-minute glance at the antlers or some other aspect of the animal. It points to why practice is so important because it conditions the mind to stay strictly focused on the target, which in a hunting situation is that specific spot on the animal the shooter has picked out as the target. At that point, it's just as if they're aiming at the center point of a paper target.

I've seen cases where the shooter got so caught up in the moment and flinched so bad they couldn't tell you which way the deer ran, much less how it reacted to the shot.

Last edited by Texas Dan; 07/07/20 11:49 PM.

"Some people will never like you because your spirit irritates their demons."
Re: RIFLE HOLD [Re: DLALLDER] #7893629 07/07/20 11:46 PM
W
wp75169 Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
W
It can not be done without managing recoil. Once that is done it’s just discipline.

Re: RIFLE HOLD [Re: wp75169] #7893650 07/08/20 12:07 AM
D
DLALLDER Offline OP
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
D
Originally Posted by wp75169
It can not be done without managing recoil. Once that is done it’s just discipline.

wp75169, can you give an explanation to "managing recoil"?

Re: RIFLE HOLD [Re: DLALLDER] #7893659 07/08/20 12:15 AM
H
HandgunHTR Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
H
Originally Posted by DLALLDER

I realize you asked wp, but what he means by that is reducing recoil such that does not take the scope sight picture off of the target. For larger chamberings, this means using a large muzzle break or suppressor, or adding weight. It is dang near impossible to do with a large magnum unless you have a big break and over 10 lbs of rifle.

I can do it pretty reliably with a suppressor on all of my short action and single shot guns.

If you are talking strictly hunting, one of the best things you can do is learn to shoot with both eyes open. Your "shooting" eye guides the crosshairs. Your other eye watches the animal. That will also allow you to follow through better as you won't be immediately jerking the gun down to see which way the deer/hog/sheep/elk is running.

#FighttheNoise
Re: RIFLE HOLD [Re: HandgunHTR] #7893679 07/08/20 12:31 AM
D
DLALLDER Offline OP
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
D
Originally Posted by HandgunHTR

I realize you asked wp, but what he means by that is reducing recoil such that does not take the scope sight picture off of the target. For larger chamberings, this means using a large muzzle break or suppressor, or adding weight. It is dang near impossible to do with a large magnum unless you have a big break and over 10 lbs of rifle.

I can do it pretty reliably with a suppressor on all of my short action and single shot guns.

If you are talking strictly hunting, one of the best things you can do is learn to shoot with both eyes open. Your "shooting" eye guides the crosshairs. Your other eye watches the animal. That will also allow you to follow through better as you won't be immediately jerking the gun down to see which way the deer/hog/sheep/elk is running.

I don't shoot large magnums, 06 with 165's is the biggest I have shot in years, nor do I use brakes. I have never learned to shoot with both eyes open, I am right handed & shoot right handed but master eye is my left eye.

Re: RIFLE HOLD [Re: DLALLDER] #7893701 07/08/20 12:48 AM
W
wp75169 Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
W
I am right handed and left eye dominant. Once I finally gave in and started shooting left handed I quickly figured out that I could shoot. Took me 20 plus years to give in I think. It’s worth trying even if you’re against it. It doesn’t feel natural, but after an hour you will never want to switch back.

Managing recoil was definitely generic, sorry about that. My number one answer is a good muzzle brake that is directional not radial. Meaning ports out both sides and the top. The proper brake will eliminate muzzle rise and the majority of felt recoil. They are LOUD. They will blow everything off the table that weighs under a pound. They will offend anyone who doesn’t understand and wants to sit beside you while you’re shooting. They will also make you an excellent shot if it’s in you. Also, if you’re considering shooting a match most will be 50-100 rounds. An -06 without one will pound the snot out you by the end of the day on the bench. Well, not everyone, we definitely have some hero’s here who can do it all day.

A heavier rifle, both eyes open, etc etc all help but are far second to being able to control the recoil direction to start with. Which is what a brake does.

Last edited by wp75169; 07/08/20 12:50 AM.
Re: RIFLE HOLD [Re: DLALLDER] #7893735 07/08/20 01:18 AM
T
Texas Dan Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
T
I don't shoot large magnums, 06 with 165's is the biggest I have shot in years, nor do I use brakes. I have never learned to shoot with both eyes open, I am right handed & shoot right handed but master eye is my left eye.

In terms of managing recoil, I'll take the assumption the question is how to keep recoil from creating a flinch where the shooter anticipates the shot and closes their eyes during the blast. IMO, two different trains of thought come into play.

No doubt there are those who seldom practice and still kill deer. My theory is that because they have no recent memory of recoil, that first shot is the best one they'll make that day. Things quickly go south if they miss because they have zero mental conditioning in overcoming the anticipation of the blast during follow up shots. I'll never forget the time a hunter came into camp after shooting at a deer three times. Everyone knew he was the one who shot because we all knew the lease very well. He went into the camp house and came out and threw all his gear into his truck, then drove off without uttering a word.

On the other hand, people who practice a lot are far more likely to have conditioned their mind to ignore the anticipation of the blast, very much like the baseball catcher who ignores the swing of the batter's bat. The focus is entirely on keeping an eye on the ball/target without any distractions before or after the shot. Yes, the best shooters focus as much on trigger release as they do trigger pull. It takes a lot of practice to reach that point of mental conditioning but it usually happens once the person practices enough, given the rifle is a caliber that fits them well.

Last edited by Texas Dan; 07/08/20 01:29 AM.

"Some people will never like you because your spirit irritates their demons."
Re: RIFLE HOLD [Re: DLALLDER] #7893748 07/08/20 01:28 AM
P_102 Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
Managing recoil is also making sure your shooting ‘posture’ is good. Poor shooting posture allows the recoil to move your muzzle all over the place, good posture causes the rifle to recoil directly back making it easier to recover and see the shot. When my muzzle jumps up and to the right I know my shooting position was off and needs to be corrected.

Do not trifle in the affairs of dragons, for thou art crunchy and taste good with ketchup.
Re: RIFLE HOLD [Re: DLALLDER] #7893849 07/08/20 03:01 AM
S
scalebuster Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
S
I have read, been told that when shooting you needed to see the bullet strike the target. I have never been able to do that, WHY? Am I just not holding rifle hard enough, maybe rifle is set-up incorrect. Give me your opinion, please. Thanks Daniel

Get a 223 or Hornet if you want to see the bullet hit.

Re: RIFLE HOLD [Re: DLALLDER] #7893859 07/08/20 03:21 AM
B
Big Fitz Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
B
In addition to what others have stated, the distance you are shooting makes a difference. I can generally see hits/misses at 300+ yards and most of the time at 200. I think I'd have trouble seeing hits/misses at 100 yards if I have the scope zoomed in 15X or greater.

Originally Posted by onlysmith&wesson
I was wrong...on anything technical.

Originally Posted by Sailor
Fitz............. is right, ya know............
Re: RIFLE HOLD [Re: DLALLDER] #7893872 07/08/20 03:38 AM
P
Papalote Offline
Tracker
Tracker
P
I can usually see the bullet strike, in that hair, bone, snot, etc can be witnessed flying about. For me, by concentrating on sight placement while squeezing the trigger, the gun fires, bullet strikes, I see the results, then recoil happens. This is easy and common at 100 yds or less as most of my critters have been taken at this distance. .30-'06 & 308 always on 9x

Last edited by Papalote; 07/08/20 03:39 AM.
Re: RIFLE HOLD [Re: DLALLDER] #7893957 07/08/20 10:31 AM
onlysmith&wesson Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
I don't know that I've ever actually seen the bullet strike the target. Maybe I have. I always try to. Staying focused enough to try and see impact keeps me on the target through the shot, helps me control my breathing and make a smooth, steady squeeze on the trigger. For me, trying to see the bullet make impact is part of the thought process that forces me to physically do the things necessary to put an animal down, right there.

An unethical shot is one you take, that you know you shouldn't.
Re: RIFLE HOLD [Re: DLALLDER] #7893973 07/08/20 11:06 AM
J.G. Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
Come see me. This is one of the many things covered at my zero line.

[Linked Image]
800 Yard Steel Range
Precision Rifle Instruction
Memberships and Classes Available
Re: RIFLE HOLD [Re: DLALLDER] #7893980 07/08/20 11:20 AM
S
Smokey Bear Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
S

OP-without seeing you shoot, diagnosing what is happening is akin to reading tea leaves. Less internet advice and more time behind your rifle will likely lead you to your answer.

Smokey Bear---Lone Star State.
Re: RIFLE HOLD [Re: DLALLDER] #7894128 07/08/20 01:58 PM
T
Texan Til I Die Online Content
Extreme Tracker
Online Content
Extreme Tracker
T
What's really cool is getting the sun just right so you can see the actual bullet flight on the way to the target. On one of the places I shoot it happens around 6:30 - 7:00 in the evening this time of year.

Silver spurs and gold tequila
keep me hanging on.
Pretty girls and old cantinas
give me shelter from the storm.
Re: RIFLE HOLD [Re: DLALLDER] #7894139 07/08/20 02:06 PM
J
Jgraider Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
J
As wp brought up, unless you "manage the recoil", you can do all that other crap you want to and you're still not going to see impacts with "06 type cartridges, especially when you get off the bench. It only gets worse. I've tried to do it with '06 and 7mag hunting rounds for 40 years and it ain't happening.

Trashcan Dan, you need to start taking notes and quit typing. This is yet another instance where you have no clue what you're talking about.

Re: RIFLE HOLD [Re: DLALLDER] #7894154 07/08/20 02:20 PM
D
DH3 Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
D
The only time I was able to "see" a bullet was at a range where the atmospheric conditions were just right to see the vapor trail of a .220 Swift bullet headed down range.

Old age and treachery beats youth and stupid every time!
Re: RIFLE HOLD [Re: DLALLDER] #7894163 07/08/20 02:27 PM
C
ChadTRG42 Online Happy
THF Celebrity
Online Happy
THF Celebrity
C
It's what I call, "Driving the rifle". With proper position, shooting form and follow through, it will better your chances to manage your recoil and help see your impacts. But if you are shooting a light weight hunting rifle in a larger caliber, it will still be difficult to do.

Years ago in a shooting comp at Tiger Valley, we had to shoot little Army men in a small shooting house from about 140 yards. I was shooting my TRG 42 in 300 WM (with a big brake) and I could see the little Army men flying off from 140 yards. I was prone, and prone allows you the best method for recoil management. If you are in a compromised position or not in a very stable position, seeing impacts will be more difficult. With good set up and shooting it will certainly improve controlling the recoil.

[Linked Image]
Custom and Precision Ammunition!!
https://DallasReloads.com/
Type 01 and Type 06 FFL
Re: RIFLE HOLD [Re: HandgunHTR] #7894337 07/08/20 04:34 PM
C
Crews Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
C

OP, you'd be miles ahead getting some training from the get-go. But until then, here's something to consider:

You need to be placing the butt of your rifle as high and as close to your centerline as possible. It should be a lot closer to sitting on your collarbone than way out to the side where most people think it is supposed to be. Then drop your cheek straight down to rest on the cheekpiece without tilting your head over to the side..... with your shoulders 100% perdendicular to the rifle. This body position is how you soak up the most recoil and keep your reticle closer to the POA after you send one. It is almost impossible to do with a traditional hunting stock and low rings. So basically, I am saying it's going to be very hard to ever spot your impacts unless the rifle stock is set up properly with an adjustable cheekpiece and length of pull. It's also never going to happen if you're using a traditional T shooting bench and sitting off to the side of the rifle with your neck craned over to peep through the scope. You have to be using your body weight directly behind the rifle to manage recoil.

Last edited by Crews; 07/08/20 04:35 PM.
Re: RIFLE HOLD [Re: DLALLDER] #7894365 07/08/20 04:49 PM
J
Jgraider Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
J
Question for all the proponents of using form, etc to help reduce recoil and help see impacts. On the bench, given the fact that the only things that should be touching your rifle from a shooter standpoint is your shoulder, cheek, and trigger hand to a degree, how does any of this eliminate the muzzle jump associated with firing the round? If a rifle only recoiled straight back I could see how it could help some, but muzzle jump is more of a problem.

Re: RIFLE HOLD [Re: Texan Til I Die] #7894382 07/08/20 04:55 PM
D
DLALLDER Offline OP
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
D
Originally Posted by Texan Til I Die
What's really cool is getting the sun just right so you can see the actual bullet flight on the way to the target. On one of the places I shoot it happens around 6:30 - 7:00 in the evening this time of year.

I have seen that effect many times in the past shooting IHMSA competition. Saw it more with the 22LR competition, the big bore pistols were being pushed to the limit with velocity so you had a VERY short period of time to see the bullet on it's way to the target.

Re: RIFLE HOLD [Re: DLALLDER] #7894399 07/08/20 05:08 PM
W
wp75169 Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
W
Originally Posted by Texan Til I Die

I have seen that effect many times in the past shooting IHMSA competition. Saw it more with the 22LR competition, the big bore pistols were being pushed to the limit with velocity so you had a VERY short period of time to see the bullet on it's way to the target.

Big bore pistols at extended ranges are almost comical to watch. A 360 grain bullet at only 900fps shooting 300 yards. Heck, you could almost call it before it got there. Plus you’re aiming about 30 degrees to the horizon at that point.

Re: RIFLE HOLD [Re: Jgraider] #7894402 07/08/20 05:12 PM
C
Crews Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
C
Originally Posted by Jgraider
Question for all the proponents of using form, etc to help reduce recoil and help see impacts. On the bench, given the fact that the only things that should be touching your rifle from a shooter standpoint is your shoulder, cheek, and trigger hand to a degree, how does any of this eliminate the muzzle jump associated with firing the round? If a rifle only recoiled straight back I could see how it could help some, but muzzle jump is more of a problem.

The correct form doesn't reduce recoil, it helps to manage it more effectively.... therefore disturbing the sight picture less. Making the rifle recoil straight back is the objective. If if goes in a different direction that just means it's taking the path of least resistance and exploiting the weaknesses in your form.

Take my example of sitting at a T bench way off to the left of the rifle. I bet your reticle flies to the left. I have a problem with tensing up my right shoulder, which always makes the stock bounce off and push it further to the centerline. So the muzzle pushes to the right. How tense I am is directly correlated to how far off POA my reticle goes after I press the trigger. It's all about what influences you are introducing as you're executing the shot, and what the rifle comes up against as it recoils. NOT about how recoil was there to begin with.

Page 1 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide