Print Thread
Another cellular camera question #7892411 07/06/20 11:28 PM
K
KWood_TSU Offline OP
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
K
I'm wanting to switch to a cell cam setup. I would prefer a link system since I'm going to need about 20 cameras. I think I'll need about 3 different home units.

We're in deep east tx so I know 1/4 mile is about all the range I'll get. I might need some receivers to fill in between a couple of cameras, and I'll be okay with that as well.

I see the cuddelink system and it seems decent, but is there anything else out there?
Anybody have any personal experience with anything.

Amat Victoria Curam - Victory Loves Preparation
Re: Another cellular camera question [Re: KWood_TSU] #7892744 07/07/20 11:00 AM
B
B_Man Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
B
There has been a lot of threads around cellular cameras including the cuddelink system.
I mentioned the new Covert system that has a base unit for 9 cameras at a time and has coverage to
1100 yards. They are new and might work for your application but I don't have one so I have zero personal experience.
Just something you might research.

Re: Another cellular camera question [Re: KWood_TSU] #7892764 07/07/20 11:40 AM
D
David Maas Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
D
Do your research before you buy the Cuddeback link system. I researched it, reviews were sketchy. Their stand alone cameras are great, that piggyback system isn't.

I have been seeing and reading good reviews on the new Stealth series of cellular, have seen some reports about finding them on sale for about the cost of the Cuddelink cameras.

NRA Endowed Patriot Life Benefactor
GOA Life Member
TSRA Life Member
NSCA Life Member
Re: Another cellular camera question [Re: David Maas] #7892912 07/07/20 02:28 PM
K
KWood_TSU Offline OP
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
K
Originally Posted by David Maas
Do your research before you buy the Cuddeback link system. I researched it, reviews were sketchy. Their stand alone cameras are great, that piggyback system isn't.

I have been seeing and reading good reviews on the new Stealth series of cellular, have seen some reports about finding them on sale for about the cost of the Cuddelink cameras.

I will never buy another stealth camera ever. I've bought some of the cheaper ones and they were horrid, don't trust them at all.

Re: Another cellular camera question [Re: B_Man] #7892917 07/07/20 02:30 PM
K
KWood_TSU Offline OP
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
K
Originally Posted by B_Man
There has been a lot of threads around cellular cameras including the cuddelink system.
I mentioned the new Covert system that has a base unit for 9 cameras at a time and has coverage to
1100 yards. They are new and might work for your application but I don't have one so I have zero personal experience.
Just something you might research.

I agree, a lot of threads about cell cameras, but very few with the link system. It's not feasible in any way for us to do the cell plan. We're looking at over 2k a year on cell plans for as many cameras as we need.

Re: Another cellular camera question [Re: KWood_TSU] #7893011 07/07/20 03:58 PM
K
KWood_TSU Offline OP
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
K
Quick update, just did a live chat with Covert, and they don't know if that 1100 yard range is a hard 1100 or if the woods will affect that distance. They said they are currently testing to see.

Re: Another cellular camera question [Re: KWood_TSU] #7893488 07/07/20 09:58 PM
CharlieCTx Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
I have (2) G Model Cudde cameras that talk to a G Model Cudde Cell Home point that is up on a hill for reception. They just added the ability to change camera and home point settings remotely via firmware change, which is nice to have. I can't comment on a 1/4 mile distance as my cameras are 50+ yards apart with the closest camera being blind to the cell point, which is up the hill about 130 yards away.

I'm happy with them, though you have to get the Solar Panel/Battery option they sell.... they will chew through D-Cell batteries in no time without it. I'm just now having to change the D-Cell camera batteries I installed before November.

Charlie

Kel-Tec RFB + Griffin Sportsman Ultra Light 300 + Pulsar Apex XQ-50
M&P-10 + AAC Cyclone
Remy 700 + Leupold VX3 3.5x10x50 CDS
Re: Another cellular camera question [Re: KWood_TSU] #7893491 07/07/20 10:01 PM
D
David Maas Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
D
Originally Posted by KWood_TSU
I agree, a lot of threads about cell cameras, but very few with the link system. It's not feasible in any way for us to do the cell plan. We're looking at over 2k a year on cell plans for as many cameras as we need.

The cumulative number of pictures with the Cudde system works out about the same as individual cameras. There is no perfect platform regardless of the manufacturer.

I pay $30 a month for 3 Ridgetec cameras and I leave them up year round, I am getting 30-40 videos a camera everyday right now, that will increase to close to up to 200 pictures a night during the season and the few months following. I lower the image quality of the thumbnail uploads during the season and still use the same amount of data as I am now uploading video. An image upload with 1 point during the season, I can increase the image quality and have that image uploaded for about 27 points. The beauty of the Ridgetec is that you can set the camera to push low quality images to the app, if there is an image you want to look into further, you can chose to have the camera push the HD image at the next upload or "heartbeat"

NRA Endowed Patriot Life Benefactor
GOA Life Member
TSRA Life Member
NSCA Life Member
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide