Print Thread
Can anyone explain tax exemptions on property #7891876 07/06/20 04:35 PM
K
Kevin_M Online Content OP
Pro Tracker
OP Online Content
Pro Tracker
K
I am looking to purchase a house and as much land as I can afford (likely 10-20 acres) in the next 9 or so months and most of the properties I see have existing tax exemptions for running cattle. What is the process for transferring that to a wildlife management exemption? Any specific criteria that needs to be met and maintained? I think it varies by county and the property will more than likely end up being in Williamson county. Does anyone have experience with things like this? Any info is greatly appreciated.

Re: Can anyone explain tax exemptions on property [Re: Kevin_M] #7891935 07/06/20 05:11 PM
R
Rustler Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
R

Re: Can anyone explain tax exemptions on property [Re: Kevin_M] #7891942 07/06/20 05:16 PM
K
Kevin_M Online Content OP
Pro Tracker
OP Online Content
Pro Tracker
K
ha, easy enough. Thanks!

Re: Can anyone explain tax exemptions on property [Re: Kevin_M] #7892098 07/06/20 07:09 PM
F
freerange Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
F
Keep us posted on your search. I will probably be looking for land in Williamson myself within the next year.

At some point in life its time to quit chasing the pot of gold and just enjoy the rainbow. FR
Keep your gratitude higher than your expectations. RWH
Re: Can anyone explain tax exemptions on property [Re: Kevin_M] #7892113 07/06/20 07:20 PM
D
Dalroo Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
D
Just my experience - pretty easy to transfer a property with 1d1 usage between ag and wildlife valuations. Soon after purchasing our place, I converted over to wildlife (bluebirds!), but after a few years of doing the paperwork, found it easier to convert back to ag and lease grazing rights. In our county, with wildlife, we had to keep and submit pretty meticulous records on an annual basis. With ag, there really is no annual submittal process (but good records recommended), and valuation perpetually rolls over until ownership changes.

Dalroo
Deep in the Heart of Texas
How about that Brandon!
Re: Can anyone explain tax exemptions on property [Re: Kevin_M] #7892986 07/07/20 03:35 PM
P
PMK Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
P
Dalroo, my county tax office told me that if I ever wanted to convert back to a regular ag exemption, it would put me back in the 5 year waiting period just like a property that never had the ag exemption ... but that's been about 8 years ago when I converted, may have changed since then (Burnet county). Might want to double check that for your county.

"everyone that lives dies but not everyone who dies lived..."

~PMK~
Re: Can anyone explain tax exemptions on property [Re: PMK] #7892996 07/07/20 03:41 PM
D
Dalroo Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
D
Originally Posted by PMK
Dalroo, my county tax office told me that if I ever wanted to convert back to a regular ag exemption, it would put me back in the 5 year waiting period just like a property that never had the ag exemption ... but that's been about 8 years ago when I converted, may have changed since then (Burnet county). Might want to double check that for your county.

I believe every county has some unique rules, but I converted back with no problem. Spoke to the CAD first to confirm process, but just had to submit new form with no wait or delay. It was submitted in early 2019 and appropriate valuation taxes were invoiced and paid for 2020. Agree, maybe the rules changed at some point.

Dalroo
How about that Brandon!
Re: Can anyone explain tax exemptions on property [Re: Kevin_M] #7893022 07/07/20 04:18 PM
D
don k Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
D
I have AG exemption on my property. A few years ago the Bandera CAD came out to check because I had bought a property that bordered mine. I asked about doing a Wildlife exemption as opposed to the AG exemption. He told me to keep the AG. He said it was a heck of a lot less work for me and them.

Re: Can anyone explain tax exemptions on property [Re: Kevin_M] #7893179 07/07/20 05:37 PM
tlk Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
On Ag your county will most likely check on it each year to make sure you are in compliance either wife live drive by or google maps (they do this for sure in Williamson County.) I did not want to run cattle or cut hay on my place so I converted to Wildlife. They will never come monitor you - simply turn in your wildlife info once a year - I take pics of bird houses, any trapper coons or possums, fish stocking, drainage work, brush removal, etc. Pretty simple.

You can't fix stupid
Re: Can anyone explain tax exemptions on property [Re: tlk] #7893186 07/07/20 05:43 PM
P
PMK Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
P
Originally Posted by tlk
On Ag your county will most likely check on it each year to make sure you are in compliance either wife live drive by or google maps (they do this for sure in Williamson County.) I did not want to run cattle or cut hay on my place so I converted to Wildlife. They will never come monitor you - simply turn in your wildlife info once a year - I take pics of bird houses, any trapper coons or possums, fish stocking, drainage work, brush removal, etc. Pretty simple.

same here, pictures and cover letter stating what you did and what you are going to do the upcoming year, all completed online. sure is easier than mending fence every 2-4 weeks, rounding up cattle from neighbors property, making sure there was water during drought years, feeding frequently, etc. I hate feral hogs, they completely demolished our fences during the drought years '10-'12 where momma cows could walk thru

~PMK~
Re: Can anyone explain tax exemptions on property [Re: tlk] #7893240 07/07/20 06:15 PM
D
Dalroo Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
D
Originally Posted by tlk

Yeah, different process than we had to do in our county. Yes, submitted pics, but also had to submit a new application each year with planned activities, along with a letter detailing accomplished activities from previous year, receipts for wildlife related activities, etc. I probably provided too much, but wanted to be by the letter, so stressed a bit more on it than was probably necessary. I was never denied and got no negative feedback from the county on any submittal - just kind of a pain.

Funny thing too, there are properties in my area that have Ag valuations, and I KNOW they are doing no Ag related activities. My assumption was that the county would drive by on occasion to check/audit, but (to my knowledge) none have never gotten dinged. I could see the county not making a fuss for a year or two, since the rules require activity for 5 of 7 years, but I've been out in the area for 6 and have never seen any Ag related activities on several of these properties.

Dalroo
How about that Brandon!
Re: Can anyone explain tax exemptions on property [Re: Kevin_M] #7893305 07/07/20 07:16 PM
dogcatcher Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
If times get tough, IMO the wildlife exemption will fall before the ag exemption.

Combat Infantryman, the ultimate hunter where the prey shoots back.
_____________"Illegitimus non carborundum est"_______________

[Linked Image]
Re: Can anyone explain tax exemptions on property [Re: Dalroo] #7893327 07/07/20 07:33 PM
P
PMK Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
P
Originally Posted by Dalroo
Originally Posted by tlk

Yeah, different process than we had to do in our county. Yes, submitted pics, but also had to submit a new application each year with planned activities, along with a letter detailing accomplished activities from previous year, receipts for wildlife related activities, etc. I probably provided too much, but wanted to be by the letter, so stressed a bit more on it than was probably necessary. I was never denied and got no negative feedback from the county on any submittal - just kind of a pain.

Funny thing too, there are properties in my area that have Ag valuations, and I KNOW they are doing no Ag related activities. My assumption was that the county would drive by on occasion to check/audit, but (to my knowledge) none have never gotten dinged. I could see the county not making a fuss for a year or two, since the rules require activity for 5 of 7 years, but I've been out in the area for 6 and have never seen any Ag related activities on several of these properties.

yep, same here, I just left out all those details... new application form (I just "save-as" the previous year's form and update the dates), cover letter stating all that was done and what will be done the upcoming year, pictures, videos, (YouTube links) receipts (feed, seed, fuel, rentals, etc.), etc. (I embed those into the cover letter) ... I print out, sign/date, scan and email to the CAD by the deadline.

~PMK~
Re: Can anyone explain tax exemptions on property [Re: dogcatcher] #7893434 07/07/20 09:10 PM
R
Rustler Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
R
Originally Posted by dogcatcher
If times get tough, IMO the wildlife exemption will fall before the ag exemption.

Already being discussed in several counties near major cities, the big dollar horse people that lost / no longer qualify are on board & pushing.

Re: Can anyone explain tax exemptions on property [Re: Kevin_M] #7893874 07/08/20 03:39 AM
B
Big_Country01 Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
B
It's a little different here in East TX, but I always recommend to landowners to do a timber or ag exemption over a wildlife exemption. Timber is easy, you just grow trees. Ag is fairly simple as well. Wildlife is alot more work. Plus, you lose alot of your sales tax exemptions with wildlife.

In my county, you get the same property tax exemption no matter which of the three you choose. You dont get any extra break by going with wildlife.

Re: Can anyone explain tax exemptions on property [Re: Kevin_M] #7893939 07/08/20 06:59 AM
T
Txduckman Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
T
Yours basically says if you actually qualify for ag based on head per acre you can convert to wildlife. Then just follow those procedures. My friend has never had an issue but has 200 acres and a lot of mountains and brush in Stephens County. Not good ag property no mater what unless you like goats so wildlife is no issue.

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide