Print Thread
Confessions of a Whitetail Outfitter #7883890 06/28/20 06:49 PM
T
Texas Dan Offline OP
THF Celebrity
OP Offline
THF Celebrity
T
The five most common mistakes hunters make during an out-of-state hunt as shared by Ralph Dampman of Trophy Ridge Outfitters, Carlile, Wyoming.

IMHO, these are some of the most common mistakes deer hunters make when hunting their home areas, sometimes even being in denial they suffer from a given affliction...

1. Not being mentally prepared

2. Not practicing enough

3. Calling it quits too soon

4. Getting caught up in the moment

5. False expectations

"Some people will never like you because your spirit irritates their demons."
Re: Confessions of a Whitetail Outfitter [Re: Texas Dan] #7883899 06/28/20 07:09 PM
J
jnd59 Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
J
Nope. Never suffered from any of those in 50 years of hunting....especially #3. I've always never not broken #3...usually.

No matter how high a duck flies a hammer still breaks a window.
Re: Confessions of a Whitetail Outfitter [Re: Texas Dan] #7883938 06/28/20 07:37 PM
TCM3 Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
#3 last year.... Need a new chair. Butt hurt like heck after sitting for 3 hours

Do not forget to entertain strangers, For by so doing some have unwittingly entertained angels
Hebrews 13:2
(R-TX)
Re: Confessions of a Whitetail Outfitter [Re: Texas Dan] #7884333 06/29/20 01:48 AM
T
Texas Dan Offline OP
THF Celebrity
OP Offline
THF Celebrity
T
In regards to #1, I have to believe looking down at cell phones has cost even the most experienced and skilled deer hunters a very nice deer. Besides not having enough time to get off a short, I can think of a number of mistakes a hunter could make by watching their cell phone screen instead of where a buck might appear.

Last edited by Texas Dan; 06/29/20 01:55 AM.

Re: Confessions of a Whitetail Outfitter [Re: Texas Dan] #7889288 07/03/20 02:15 PM
D
Deersteaks Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
D
I think #3 gets a lot of people ! I hunt with guys who are getting off the stand at 9 A.M. to go make breakfast. I see a lot of deer between 9 A.M. and 11 A.M. I usually take a break ( If I am not doing an all day sit) at about 11 and return around 2 to 2:30 . Just to much opportunity being missed out on if I don't .

Re: Confessions of a Whitetail Outfitter [Re: Deersteaks] #7889511 07/03/20 06:50 PM
F
freerange Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
F
Originally Posted by Deersteaks
I think #3 gets a lot of people ! I hunt with guys who are getting off the stand at 9 A.M. to go make breakfast. I see a lot of deer between 9 A.M. and 11 A.M. I usually take a break ( If I am not doing an all day sit) at about 11 and return around 2 to 2:30 . Just to much opportunity being missed out on if I don't .

I agree a million percent. Unless I have responsibilities to our group back at camp then I always go out before daylite and stay till dark. Most of my good buck were killed middle of the day. No sarcasm at all when i say that i have learned that eating breakfast and lunch and football and naps etc are more important to some guys than killing a big buck--nothing wrong with that at all but its just not me. I can do those things in the offseason. Of course some of my favorite stands are an hour across the Ranch roads to get to, so thats a long drive just to eat a sandwich.

At some point in life its time to quit chasing the pot of gold and just enjoy the rainbow. FR
Keep your gratitude higher than your expectations. RWH
Re: Confessions of a Whitetail Outfitter [Re: freerange] #7889551 07/03/20 07:32 PM
S
scalebuster Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
S
Originally Posted by freerange

I agree a million percent. Unless I have responsibilities to our group back at camp then I always go out before daylite and stay till dark. Most of my good buck were killed middle of the day. No sarcasm at all when i say that i have learned that eating breakfast and lunch and football and naps etc are more important to some guys than killing a big buck--nothing wrong with that at all but its just not me. I can do those things in the offseason. Of course some of my favorite stands are an hour across the Ranch roads to get to, so thats a long drive just to eat a sandwich.

You couldn’t pay me to sit in a deer stand past 9AM. The only reason I’ll sit in one that long is because my youngest son loves to deer hunt. I’m not that mad at them. Killing a big buck doesn’t mean anything but meat to me anymore, but it is a lot of fun to see my boy get so fired up about it.
If my boys don’t go I’ll usually stay at camp and handle the cooking and the beer drinking.

Re: Confessions of a Whitetail Outfitter [Re: scalebuster] #7889569 07/03/20 08:05 PM
F
freerange Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
F
Originally Posted by scalebuster
Originally Posted by freerange

You couldn’t pay me to sit in a deer stand past 9AM. The only reason I’ll sit in one that long is because my youngest son loves to deer hunt. I’m not that mad at them. Killing a big buck doesn’t mean anything but meat to me anymore, but it is a lot of fun to see my boy get so fired up about it.
If my boys don’t go I’ll usually stay at camp and handle the cooking and the beer drinking.

You would work out just fine with me. You do the cooking and ill do the hunting. No one I hunt with hunts all day like i do and i know its not the norm.
For what its worth im not mad at them anymore either but i just love sitting in the woods instead of at camp.

At some point in life its time to quit chasing the pot of gold and just enjoy the rainbow. FR
Keep your gratitude higher than your expectations. RWH
Re: Confessions of a Whitetail Outfitter [Re: Texas Dan] #7890156 07/04/20 02:10 PM
J
Jimbo Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
J
A lot of times the deer don't seem to start moving until at least 9 am on my lease.
You hunt an area long enough you can gauge when it's time to leave the stand. If the deer are moving early and then things start to taper off, or you don't see anything early I usually sit a little past 9 am. and see if things start to pick up.
I guess what I'm saying is 9 am is a little too early to be throwing in the towel. 2cents

Thursday at 12:45 PM
Once i learned that i didn't "NEED" to kill something, and that if i did kill something all the fun stopped and work began, i was a much better hunter.
Re: Confessions of a Whitetail Outfitter [Re: Jimbo] #7890260 07/04/20 03:55 PM
T
Texas Dan Offline OP
THF Celebrity
OP Offline
THF Celebrity
T
Originally Posted by Jimbo
A lot of times the deer don't seem to start moving until at least 9 am on my lease.
You hunt an area long enough you can gauge when it's time to leave the stand. If the deer are moving early and then things start to taper off, or you don't see anything early I usually sit a little past 9 am. and see if things start to pick up.
I guess what I'm saying is 9 am is a little too early to be throwing in the towel. 2cents

I've been in the woods on many mornings when it seemed like someone opened a gate at 10am. I had seen more deer between 10 and 10:30 than I had seen since since daylight. I've also watched deer pay attention to the distant sounds of ATV's and even remember when a couple of young bucks came trotting past my stand after hearing a hunter on a neighboring property leaving his/her stand on an ATV. It has taught me to never leave the stand until at least an hour after the sounds of other hunters in the area have stopped.

Last edited by Texas Dan; 07/04/20 03:57 PM.

Re: Confessions of a Whitetail Outfitter [Re: Texas Dan] #7890905 07/05/20 03:11 PM
H
Hudbone Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
H
We have a guy who oftentimes goes out when we get back to camp. He still sees lots. It's his way.

Re: Confessions of a Whitetail Outfitter [Re: Texas Dan] #7892217 07/06/20 08:58 PM
A
Always ready 2 hunt Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
A
I'm usually first our and last back to camp. I too have seen lots of deer suddenly after others leave their stands. Deer pattern hunters very quickly. Some of my best deer have been taken between 11:30am and 1:30pm and also in the most nasty wind/rain storms

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide