Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
New Travel Trailer Owner #7887077 07/01/20 03:57 PM
K
Ktexas14 Online Content OP
Tracker
OP Online Content
Tracker
K
I finally pulled the trigger on a new to me Toy hauler. I bought a 2019 Coachman Catalina 29THS.

I am having airbags added to my 2017 Tundra as we speak.
I have Load distributing bars

I bought a decent generator

Any good tips for new RV Owners?

Re: New Travel Trailer Owner [Re: Ktexas14] #7887102 07/01/20 04:08 PM
P
PMK Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
P
get a TPMS ... they will save their value if you haul it much

"everyone that lives dies but not everyone who dies lived..."

~PMK~
Re: New Travel Trailer Owner [Re: Ktexas14] #7887107 07/01/20 04:11 PM
J
Jimbo1 Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
J
Spare parts and sealant.

FJB - Lets Go Brandon
BBB - Bring Back Better
Awake - Not Woke!
Re: New Travel Trailer Owner [Re: Ktexas14] #7887110 07/01/20 04:11 PM
N
NORML as can be Online Content
^^Cut the Cord^^
Online Content
^^Cut the Cord^^
N

(R-TX) .-- " TCNN CURL CRLB VFF VRNO AYR SNDL CGC TLRY MSOS "

_=====___=________==-

Re: New Travel Trailer Owner [Re: Ktexas14] #7887156 07/01/20 04:52 PM
Z
ZK-315 Online Content
Veteran Tracker
Online Content
Veteran Tracker
Z
Get some of these plastic leveling blocks. Nice and light, and the little bag they come with is nice to keep them all together. Great for putting under tires on uneven ground or even using them under the corner jacks.

LINK HERE

Re: New Travel Trailer Owner [Re: Ktexas14] #7887158 07/01/20 04:55 PM
G
gtrich94 Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
G
Just some random stuff

If anyone else has used the bathroom in it, go buy a 10 or 20 pound bag of ice, dump it in the toilet with a cup of Calgon and drive around for 20 minutes. The melting ice will slosh around in the tank and help break "things" loose. After you flush/empty your black tank, add about 5 gallons of water back to the black tank and add a cup of Calgon. The water keeps you from creating the poo-pyramid directly under your toilet and the Calgon helps to keep things from sticking. Walmart and HEB sell Calgon, but it's never where I expect it to be in the store and I end up walking all the different isles until I finally find it.

Go to Walmart, Home Depot, Amazon and buy one of the cleaning wands that attaches to a hose. It's about 2 feet long. That's what you will use to flush the black tank. They also sell a smaller one that is about a foot long that you can use to flush out your hot water heater. This is the black tank one.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000BGHYDO/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

If you haven't driven with a trailer this large, drive the trailer around your neighborhood a few times to get used to making tight turns.

Go to youtube and checkout some of the "how do I setup my RV" videos.

Go to Home Depot and buy several cans of spray foam. Crawl under your RV and fill every crack you can find where things go in and out of your trailer. Then go inside and do the same. Especially around your water pump because from what I've seen, that area is out of sight, out of mind and the trailer manufactures leave giant holes in the floor in that area. The 10 minutes you spend now will save you hours of cleaning later when a mouse gets in your trailer through the crappy sealing jobs the TT manufacturers do at the factory.

Last random item, go to Home Depot/Lowes and buy a set of tools exclusively for your TT, put it in the TT and don't steal from it. Just about every TT I've ever seen uses star bits for the screws, so don't forget to get some of them.

Thanks,
Rich
Re: New Travel Trailer Owner [Re: gtrich94] #7887166 07/01/20 05:02 PM
T
TXHOGSLAYER Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
T
Originally Posted by gtrich94
Just some random stuff

If anyone else has used the bathroom in it, go buy a 10 or 20 pound bag of ice, dump it in the toilet with a cup of Calgon and drive around for 20 minutes. The melting ice will slosh around in the tank and help break "things" loose. After you flush/empty your black tank, add about 5 gallons of water back to the black tank and add a cup of Calgon. The water keeps you from creating the poo-pyramid directly under your toilet and the Calgon helps to keep things from sticking. Walmart and HEB sell Calgon, but it's never where I expect it to be in the store and I end up walking all the different isles until I finally find it.

Go to Walmart, Home Depot, Amazon and buy one of the cleaning wands that attaches to a hose. It's about 2 feet long. That's what you will use to flush the black tank. They also sell a smaller one that is about a foot long that you can use to flush out your hot water heater. This is the black tank one.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000BGHYDO/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

If you haven't driven with a trailer this large, drive the trailer around your neighborhood a few times to get used to making tight turns.

Go to Home Depot and buy several cans of spray foam. Crawl under your RV and fill every crack you can find where things go in and out of your trailer. Then go inside and do the same. Especially around your water pump because from what I've seen, that area is out of sight, out of mind and the trailer manufactures leave giant holes in the floor in that area. The 10 minutes you spend now will save you hours of cleaning later when a mouse gets in your trailer through the crappy sealing jobs the TT manufacturers do at the factory.

Last random item, go to Home Depot/Lowes and buy a set of tools exclusively for your TT, put it in the TT and don't steal from it. Just about every TT I've ever seen uses star bits for the screws, so don't forget to get some of them.

Excellent post! Informative, relevant and helpful. Hell, I don't even have one but now know some great tips to tell someone else...

LETS GO BRANDON
Re: New Travel Trailer Owner [Re: Ktexas14] #7887200 07/01/20 05:25 PM
C
Chopped54 Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
C
Clear flush valve. One of the best things I have bought. Allows you to hook up a hose at the dump station and fill the tank and flush it from the outside vs a hose drug through the RV.
FLUSH VALVE HOME DEPOT

Canopy lights, leveling pads, wheel chocks, multiple water hoses (one specifically for fresh water connection and one for flushing), dedicated tool kit

Wealth is of the heart and mind and not of the pocket
Re: New Travel Trailer Owner [Re: Ktexas14] #7887203 07/01/20 05:27 PM
K
Tracker
OP Online Content
Tracker
K
I already bought some extra Sealant, I bough the plastic leveling blocks.

Name brand tires are on my list. The ones I have look fine but are some random brand.

The RV has a special black tank cleanout to attach to, do you think I should still also use the wand?

Fortunately, I have a CDL and have driver 53s and doubles so the actual driving isn't much of a chore.

I have been and will continue to watch RV setup videos, watching them now for trouble shooting ideas when there is a problem means that when you have an issue and there is no service, I MIGHT have an idea of what to do.

Good idea on the spray foam, I will have to do that.

I have been remaking a dedicated tool set for the TT, I had one for dirt bikes and of course have pilfered it and lost items from it over the years.

Thank you for the heads up on star bits, I will add that to it.

A lot of great feedback from all of you, thank you!

Since I have a toy hauler, I dont have a bumper to store Black/Gray tank hose in and the pipe they have installed underneath for storage is really short and hose doesnt fit. What do yall do for storing your hose?

Re: New Travel Trailer Owner [Re: Ktexas14] #7887212 07/01/20 05:39 PM
J
J.R. Online Content
Pro Tracker
Online Content
Pro Tracker
J
Since I have a toy hauler, I dont have a bumper to store Black/Gray tank hose in and the pipe they have installed underneath for storage is really short and hose doesnt fit. What do yall do for storing your hose?[/quote]

Rinse the Hades out of it each time & getcha a tupperware bin for storage exclusively for that hose & ends.

"First come smiles, then lies. Last is gunfire."
Re: New Travel Trailer Owner [Re: Ktexas14] #7887219 07/01/20 05:43 PM
J
J.R. Online Content
Pro Tracker
Online Content
Pro Tracker
J
Oh, and "congrats have fun". Headed to ours on Texoma for some quality social distancing in a couple days.

Funny, but no one ever says, "Man, you never asked ME to go camping with you" when it's rough-camping in tents. But get a TT, and they all want an invite:)

"First come smiles, then lies. Last is gunfire."
Re: New Travel Trailer Owner [Re: TXHOGSLAYER] #7887226 07/01/20 05:52 PM
H
Halfadozen Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
H
Originally Posted by TXHOGSLAYER
Originally Posted by gtrich94
Just some random stuff

Excellent post! Informative, relevant and helpful. Hell, I don't even have one but now know some great tips to tell someone else...

Spot on ^^^^^!

Freedom is a fragile thing ...Those who have known freedom, and then lost it, have never known it again.
-- Ronald Reagan

Re: New Travel Trailer Owner [Re: Ktexas14] #7887236 07/01/20 06:06 PM
G
gtrich94 Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
G
Originally Posted by Ktexas14
I already bought some extra Sealant, I bough the plastic leveling blocks.

Thank you for the heads up on star bits, I will add that to it.

I was just thinking about it some more, I think it's a square bit, not a star bit. Easy enough to go out to your trailer to make sure.

One other thing I thought of and since yours is a 2019, it may not apply. Take a look at your overhead light bulbs. They may already be LED's, but if they aren't, swap out the old incandescent's with LED's. It might cost you about 50 bucks to do all of them, but if you are running on battery alone, those incandescent's will burn through your trailer batter.

Thanks,
Rich
Re: New Travel Trailer Owner [Re: Ktexas14] #7887238 07/01/20 06:09 PM
P
Paluxy Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
P
Avoid pyramiding

Re: New Travel Trailer Owner [Re: Ktexas14] #7887255 07/01/20 06:34 PM
C
Chopped54 Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
C
And WINTERIZE it no matter how tame the winter will be, I lost a faucet and toilet before I learned my lesson.

Wealth is of the heart and mind and not of the pocket
Re: New Travel Trailer Owner [Re: Ktexas14] #7887277 07/01/20 06:54 PM
K
Tracker
OP Online Content
Tracker
K
All sounds like good advice.

I will be coming back on here to ask advice about winterizing.

What the heck does "avoid pyramiding" mean?

Re: New Travel Trailer Owner [Re: Ktexas14] #7887285 07/01/20 07:04 PM
Creekrunner Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
Originally Posted by Ktexas14
All sounds like good advice.

I will be coming back on here to ask advice about winterizing.

What the heck does "avoid pyramiding" mean?

Amway? confused2 laugh bolt

...and have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over every living thing that moveth upon the earth. Gen. 1:28
Re: New Travel Trailer Owner [Re: Ktexas14] #7887296 07/01/20 07:17 PM
R
Rustler Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
R
Pyramiding is an accurate descriptive for the way solid waste piles up in the black tank.
Use lots of water, like 4 or more bowl fulls/flushes if you poop in the toilet.

If you're going to use the toilet for solid waste, always tow with 5 - 10 gallons of water in black tank, Dawn dish soap, Cascade dish washer powder will help.
The ice trick works okay for the pyramiding as long as 'it' hasn't set up brick hard.

Re: New Travel Trailer Owner [Re: Ktexas14] #7887298 07/01/20 07:20 PM
Creekrunner Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
'Seems Dawn dish soap is right up there with duct tape.

...and have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over every living thing that moveth upon the earth. Gen. 1:28
Re: New Travel Trailer Owner [Re: Rustler] #7887302 07/01/20 07:24 PM
K
Tracker
OP Online Content
Tracker
K
Originally Posted by Rustler
Pyramiding is an accurate descriptive for the way solid waste piles up in the black tank.
Use lots of water, like 4 or more bowl fulls/flushes if you poop in the toilet.

If you're going to use the toilet for solid waste, always tow with 5 - 10 gallons of water in black tank, Dawn dish soap, Cascade dish washer powder will help.
The ice trick works okay for the pyramiding as long as 'it' hasn't set up brick hard.

Ahhh I understand.

Re: New Travel Trailer Owner [Re: J.R.] #7887303 07/01/20 07:25 PM
K
Tracker
OP Online Content
Tracker
K
Originally Posted by J.R.
Since I have a toy hauler, I dont have a bumper to store Black/Gray tank hose in and the pipe they have installed underneath for storage is really short and hose doesnt fit. What do yall do for storing your hose?

Rinse the Hades out of it each time & getcha a tupperware bin for storage exclusively for that hose & ends.
[/quote]

Good Advice, just went to home depot on lunch and did just that.

Re: New Travel Trailer Owner [Re: J.R.] #7887304 07/01/20 07:26 PM
K
Tracker
OP Online Content
Tracker
K
Originally Posted by J.R.
Oh, and "congrats have fun". Headed to ours on Texoma for some quality social distancing in a couple days.

Funny, but no one ever says, "Man, you never asked ME to go camping with you" when it's rough-camping in tents. But get a TT, and they all want an invite:)

I have been camping in tents since i can remember as a kid. I have slept in an RV like 4 times ever.

This is definitely true, all of my friends that know I camp dont ever ask to go. Now they are all wondering when we are going.

Re: New Travel Trailer Owner [Re: Ktexas14] #7887324 07/01/20 07:48 PM
S
Stevarino Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
S
Sway bar if your distribution hitch doesn’t have some kind of friction.
Go to Walmart and buy RV TP, not charmin in the regular tp isle.
China bombs are real. Those off brand may last you 3 years tops, but know when one goes, the others aren’t far behind. With that said, a good jack and spare at all times. Honestly, it’s probably a safe bet to replace every 3 years regardless of miles and signs of wear.

When we bought our first camper, I made a “set up list” for myself and my wife until everything became routine.

I’d plan a couple short weekend trips to work out all the little stuff...

Last edited by Stevarino; 07/01/20 07:50 PM.
Re: New Travel Trailer Owner [Re: Ktexas14] #7887329 07/01/20 07:52 PM
Homer Jay Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
A guy I used to hunt with kept a small air compressor in his trailer and would use it to blow all of the water out of his lines before he left the lease, that way he never had to worry about his water lines freezing during the week.

"Like a slice of fried gold!"
Re: New Travel Trailer Owner [Re: PMK] #7887368 07/01/20 08:31 PM
TurkeyHunter Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
Originally Posted by PMK
get a TPMS ... they will save their value if you haul it much

I have this one.

https://www.amazon.com/TireMinder-T...801&ref_=sbx_be_s_sparkle_mcd_asin_0

To be determined
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3