Print Thread
Finding lease tips? #7886377 06/30/20 10:45 PM
F
FoxTrot Offline OP
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
F
Im desperate. My place sold and I cant find one.

Any ideas on how to find a lease? I’ve exhausted online options. I put up a couple of signs in rural areas.
None of my buddies have any openings on their places.

Tips? Ideas? Anything!!!?

Any and all help is appreciated.

PS...Im located in Central Texas would like to keep travel to less than 2 hrs but will certainly entertain further for the right place.

Originally Posted By: Chief Joe
I avoid Dick's and hope they fold.
Re: Finding lease tips? [Re: FoxTrot] #7886388 06/30/20 10:55 PM
S
stxranchman Offline
Obie Juan Kenobi
Obie Juan Kenobi
S
Are you looking for a lease for just yourself or getting on an existing lease? Does it need a camp or you have your own travel trailer? Year round or just deer season? Bird hunting, hogs, turkey and fishing or just mainly deer? Any particular part of the state specifically or any place? Budget?

Are idiots multiplying faster than normal people?[Linked Image]
Re: Finding lease tips? [Re: stxranchman] #7886410 06/30/20 11:16 PM
F
freerange Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
F
Ive got a little advise but alot of it was said by Stx. I may get back on later when I got time but the main question is BUDGET. That is a deal killer right away for some places. I may pick up extra country on my lease which would open up one spot. I can probably fill it from my circle of friends but I wouldnt rule out anything.

At some point in life its time to quit chasing the pot of gold and just enjoy the rainbow. FR
Keep your gratitude higher than your expectations. RWH
Re: Finding lease tips? [Re: FoxTrot] #7886579 07/01/20 01:39 AM
F
FoxTrot Offline OP
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
F
Budget...free!

Hahah! I can swing $2000-$3000 easily but would entertain more for the right place. Im open to getting on a place with other if I am a good fit but also have 2-4 looking as well.
Location would be 2-3 hrs from Temple.
I can bring a trailer if need be or sleep in a bunk house/camp house.
Looking for deer mainly but pigs, birds, exotics and fishing are all a plus.
I would want to bring my family with me. I primarily bow hunt but will take the weatherby when the kiddos are with me.

Last edited by FoxTrot; 07/01/20 01:44 AM.

Originally Posted By: Chief Joe
I avoid Dick's and hope they fold.
Re: Finding lease tips? [Re: FoxTrot] #7886816 07/01/20 12:13 PM
T
Texas Dan Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
T
I found the place that I hunt now by listening to a "for sale" call-in show on a local radio station. It happened totally by coincidence. I was in the area one day and just happened to be listening when a guy called in and said he wanted to lease about 80 acres for deer hunting. I was driving and couldn't write down his telephone number so I waited until the next day when I was home and called the show knowing what time the program would air again. Once my call was answered and I got on the air, I just asked if the person who called yesterday wanting to lease some land for hunting would call me back. I also made a quick reference about being retired and a few other words about myself. The landowner called me about 15 minutes later and it turned out to be a very good deal for both of us. We soon met and he showed me the tract and the deal was done.

When you think about it, it's an approach that equates to placing a free "looking to buy/lease" radio ad to listeners all over a given area. You just have to do some work to find out if a local radio station in the area where you want to hunt offers such a daily program.

Last edited by Texas Dan; 07/01/20 12:18 PM.

"Some people will never like you because your spirit irritates their demons."
Re: Finding lease tips? [Re: FoxTrot] #7886847 07/01/20 12:50 PM
P
PMK Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
P
word of mouth is usually how I have found the leases I have hunted on. I remember my dad and a couple of his hunting buddies would make a road trip to an area they were wanting to hunt, hit up all the local feed stores, drug stores, cafes, chamber of commerce, post offices, etc. and put up fliers. This was well before the internet but had a much more personal touch and a lot of older ranchers probably aren't on a computer/phone looking for hunters.

There have been a number of lease opportunities that have shown up in the Land & Leases area lately that sound like they might fit what you are looking for. You just have to be ready to jump when those show up.

The two places I'm on currently don't have any openings, but one did this time last year when we added 2 new members, and will have one additional new member this year that is a friend of one of the new ones from last year.

"everyone that lives dies but not everyone who dies lived..."

~PMK~
Re: Finding lease tips? [Re: PMK] #7886877 07/01/20 01:20 PM
D
DQ Kid Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
D
Originally Posted by PMK
word of mouth is usually how I have found the leases I have hunted on. I remember my dad and a couple of his hunting buddies would make a road trip to an area they were wanting to hunt, hit up all the local feed stores, drug stores, cafes, chamber of commerce, post offices, etc. and put up fliers. This was well before the internet but had a much more personal touch and a lot of older ranchers probably aren't on a computer/phone looking for hunters.

There have been a number of lease opportunities that have shown up in the Land & Leases area lately that sound like they might fit what you are looking for. You just have to be ready to jump when those show up.

The two places I'm on currently don't have any openings, but one did this time last year when we added 2 new members, and will have one additional new member this year that is a friend of one of the new ones from last year.

Yes, word of mouth is still a very good way to get on a lease. Let as many hunting friends, neighbors, associates know that you are interested in joining something should the chance arise; that said, your chances are highly increased if you are well liked and liked to be around by others. Outside of that, I'd search local newspaper classified ads and online services such as Leasehunter.com, Craigslist, etc. Finally, drive into those rural areas that you'd like to lease in and get a lay of the land and people in those areas, make friends and acquaintances. Again, helps if you are somebody that easily gets along with others and others want to be around. Only you know the answer to that. I'd travel to the feed stores, hunting stores, gun stores, Wal Marts and local diners in those areas and "kick the tires" some; don't be shy in your approach but also don't be over the top pushy either, fine line to balance. Check the local papers classified ads as well for opportunities. Finally, check with the local Chamber of Commerce. Good luck to you and happy hunting for a new place...

Re: Finding lease tips? [Re: DQ Kid] #7887012 07/01/20 03:04 PM
Q
QuitShootinYoungBucks Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Q
Originally Posted by DQ Kid
Originally Posted by PMK

Yes, word of mouth is still a very good way to get on a lease. Let as many hunting friends, neighbors, associates know that you are interested in joining something should the chance arise; that said, your chances are highly increased if you are well liked and liked to be around by others. Outside of that, I'd search local newspaper classified ads and online services such as Leasehunter.com, Craigslist, etc. Finally, drive into those rural areas that you'd like to lease in and get a lay of the land and people in those areas, make friends and acquaintances. Again, helps if you are somebody that easily gets along with others and others want to be around. Only you know the answer to that. I'd travel to the feed stores, hunting stores, gun stores, Wal Marts and local diners in those areas and "kick the tires" some; don't be shy in your approach but also don't be over the top pushy either, fine line to balance. Check the local papers classified ads as well for opportunities. Finally, check with the local Chamber of Commerce. Good luck to you and happy hunting for a new place...

Classifieds are great, and remember, you can always run your own ad. Goldthwaite Eagle, Brownwood Bulletin, Brady Standard-Herald, etc.

[Linked Image]

https://web.archive.org/web/20170223065011/http:/www.rrdvegas.com/silencer-cleaning.html
Re: Finding lease tips? [Re: FoxTrot] #7887036 07/01/20 03:30 PM
S
snake oil Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
S
Call the Chamber of Commerce in the Counties you are interested in and see if they have a list of deer leases. This has worked for us before.

"You may all go to hell and I will go to Texas".
Re: Finding lease tips? [Re: snake oil] #7889260 07/03/20 01:49 PM
dogcatcher Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Originally Posted by snake oil
Call the Chamber of Commerce in the Counties you are interested in and see if they have a list of deer leases. This has worked for us before.

X2

Combat Infantryman, the ultimate hunter where the prey shoots back.
_____________"Illegitimus non carborundum est"_______________

[Linked Image]
Re: Finding lease tips? [Re: FoxTrot] #7889667 07/03/20 10:11 PM
tlk Online Happy
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Happy
THF Trophy Hunter
I am on a lease but I still look everyday on here, Texasbowhunters (they have gun leases too), leasehunter.com, etc everyday just out of curiosity. So you have to be diligent and when you spot something may contact immediately. In fact I just saw an opening in Coke County for a really nice lease

You can't fix stupid
Re: Finding lease tips? [Re: PMK] #7890563 07/04/20 10:06 PM
T
titan2232 Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
T
Originally Posted by PMK

Re: Finding lease tips? [Re: FoxTrot] #7899974 07/14/20 02:49 AM
S
Shaun Russell Offline
Light Foot
Light Foot
S
I tried hard for a couple years after our lease sold. It was hard finding a place that had mature hunters.The prices are so high now I gave up.

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide