Print Thread
Deer feeder motor won’t shut off....help #7886108 06/30/20 06:13 PM
B
boxerdog Offline OP
Light Foot
OP Offline
Light Foot
B
Went up to the lease the other and checked on my deer feeder which i had unconnected the 12 volt battery to back in January ( it was a brand new battery in January). The feeder is an over head barrel style that has “the timer” brand timer.

I reconnect the battery and push the test button the feeder throws corn, no issues with the battery. Then it won’t turn off ( it’s on the light feeding setting) I have to then up plug the battery to get it to shut off.

I then set the time to go off , same deal won’t shut off multiple times. The battery was properly connected so it wasn’t reverse polarity.

Possible problems

1. The battery works but may need to be replaced?
2. Bad timer? ( I don’t particularly care for the “ timer”)

Any other suggestions of why it won’t shut off?

Re: Deer feeder motor won’t shut off....help [Re: boxerdog] #7886207 06/30/20 08:14 PM
D
David Maas Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
D
If it is a digital timer and it sits static until the test or program starts the feed cycle, it's the timer.

NRA Endowed Patriot Life Benefactor
GOA Life Member
TSRA Life Member
NSCA Life Member
Re: Deer feeder motor won’t shut off....help [Re: boxerdog] #7886248 06/30/20 08:42 PM
T
titan2232 Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
T
West Texas Feeder Supply and "The Timer" had a bad batch a few years back, but they will replace or repair them for no charge.

Two things to look for on a bad timer

Serial # on back (if the first letter before the serial # is of different size than actual numbers that's a bad batch indicator)

Newer models have illuminated buttons when pressed. Could have an old timer if buttons don't light up

Re: Deer feeder motor won’t shut off....help [Re: boxerdog] #7886785 07/01/20 11:26 AM
B
B_Man Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
B
Please do not take any of these comments and suggestions wrong- I am just adding some thoughts.

"the timer" is one of the best timers we have ever owned and operated in my opinion- reliable and easy to program
A lot of the other timers we have owned have been problems sooner or later

You mentioned it was on "light feeding" setting- I am not aware of a light feed setting on "the timer"

when pushing the test button it has its own time setting up to 30 seconds even if the instructions state 5 seconds -
if my memory serves me right - when you set the clock there is a number under the clock setting that represents your "test timing"
and it may be set real long giving the impression that it won't stop. Again this is just a suggestion only.

thanks

Re: Deer feeder motor won’t shut off....help [Re: boxerdog] #7886794 07/01/20 11:33 AM
D
David Maas Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
D
Originally Posted by boxerdog
I then set the time to go off , same deal won’t shut off multiple times. The battery was properly connected so it wasn’t reverse polarity.

B_Man, he reports it happens even when set normally

Originally Posted by B_Man
when pushing the test button it has its own time setting up to 30 seconds even if the instructions state 5 seconds -
if my memory serves me right - when you set the clock there is a number under the clock setting that represents your "test timing"
and it may be set real long giving the impression that it won't stop.

NRA Endowed Patriot Life Benefactor
GOA Life Member
TSRA Life Member
NSCA Life Member
Re: Deer feeder motor won’t shut off....help [Re: boxerdog] #7886876 07/01/20 01:18 PM
P
PMK Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
P
I agree, The Timer has been the most reliable timer device I have ever used. I am currently maintaining about 15 feeders with over half of those using The Timer as the older HCRs have given up the ghost. Pull the AA batteries out of the Timer, replace and there should be a reset button that you need a ball point pen to push, push that and retest.

"everyone that lives dies but not everyone who dies lived..."

~PMK~
Re: Deer feeder motor won’t shut off....help [Re: PMK] #7887180 07/01/20 05:15 PM
F
freerange Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
F
I concur that The Timer is the best. Titan correct about a few bad batches. Echo most of what BMan and PMK said as well.

At some point in life its time to quit chasing the pot of gold and just enjoy the rainbow. FR
Keep your gratitude higher than your expectations. RWH
Re: Deer feeder motor won’t shut off....help [Re: titan2232] #7891841 07/06/20 03:57 PM
B
BiggeSmalls Offline
Light Foot
Light Foot
B
Originally Posted by titan2232
West Texas Feeder Supply and "The Timer" had a bad batch a few years back, but they will replace or repair them for no charge.

Two things to look for on a bad timer

Serial # on back (if the first letter before the serial # is of different size than actual numbers that's a bad batch indicator)

Newer models have illuminated buttons when pressed. Could have an old timer if buttons don't light up

FYI.. You are partly incorrect. The size of the letters before the numbers has nothing to do with them being a "bad batch", it has to do with the sequence of years and is used to differentiate from like 06 vs 16, for example.

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide