Forums46
Topics537,938
Posts9,730,877
Members87,051
Most Online25,604
Feb 12th, 2024
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: Remington bankruptcy and sale to Navajo Nation. [Re: Sniper John] #7883372 06/28/20 12:56 AM
HWY_MAN Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Originally Posted by Sniper John
Must be pretty bad to go under while gun sales are at an all time high.

"Firearms manufacturer Remington Arms Co. is preparing to file for chapter 11 protection for the second time since 2018 and is in advanced talks for potential bankruptcy sale to the Navajo Nation...."

https://www.msn.com/en-us/money/com...-seeks-sale-to-navajo-nation/ar-BB160Dmj

For some reason I'm thinking this will be a good move if it goes through, be interesting to see what changes. Might buy one of their first rifles.

Yes! A Weatherby does kill them deader.
Re: Remington bankruptcy and sale to Navajo Nation. [Re: Sniper John] #7883379 06/28/20 01:02 AM
S
scottfromdallas Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
S

I own a recent Remington Seven and it shoots well. They had some problems but Cerberus drove them in to the dirt. They were never the same after Cerberus took them over.

Re: Remington bankruptcy and sale to Navajo Nation. [Re: 10 Gauge] #7883381 06/28/20 01:04 AM
S
Sneaky Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
S
Originally Posted by Bryan C. Heimann
The biggest shareholders forced the sale and bankruptcy of Remington to turn a big profit fast, and left them holding the debt. I am not 100% certain but I would not be suprized if it had something to do with Paul Singer, who basically did it to Cabela's.

Remington have been digging in deep and doing everything they can to remain in business ever since. And whether they are primarily profit driven, or not, as far as I know there is not another gun maker that is as involved in conservation efforts, who also is creating American jobs and offering American made rifles.

And the guns are really not poor quality as some have said. Stop comparing the 783, ADL, or SPS to Tikka. It's not apples to apples.

Instead, pick up a CDL and look it over, work the action, see what you get for $800-$900. Nice walnut, nice steel sights, etc.

I am not a fan boy by any means, I have owned altogether in my lifetime maybe two Remington rifles, and have bought and sold dozens of others over the years.

I think we may be selling them short. I hope that they can strike a deal with the Navajo and that Remington and the Navajo will prosper.

A Tikka shoots better and don’t they cost less? How is that not a fair comparison? Remington has been making junk for years. I do believe that a second bankruptcy kind of proves that.

Re: Remington bankruptcy and sale to Navajo Nation. [Re: J.G.] #7883396 06/28/20 01:27 AM
BOBO the Clown Online Content
kind of a big deal
Online Content
kind of a big deal
Originally Posted by FiremanJG

This is the hole they have dug, they can lie in it.

Think bigger. Competition in the market place is a success to consumers, with that said, we cant stand to loose to the litigation and pac support of Remington.

This may be the move that brings them back, who knows, but I let’s not root against them and their employees that are just like you and I

Donate to TX Youth hunting program.... better to donate then to waste it in taxes

https://secure.qgiv.com/for/gtgoh/mobile
Re: Remington bankruptcy and sale to Navajo Nation. [Re: BOBO the Clown] #7883408 06/28/20 01:45 AM
J.G. Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
Originally Posted by BOBO the Clown

Think bigger. Competition in the market place is a success to consumers, with that said, we cant stand to loose to the litigation and pac support of Remington.

This may be the move that brings them back, who knows, but I let’s not root against them and their employees that are just like you and I

As is often the case, employees are most likely not the problem. Those of them that are just like you and I, are probably doing a job trying to make a living. The suits f-ed this all up, is my bet. Old hand that knows what he's doing tells his manager the new policy is going to cause trouble, manager passes it to upper management, which passes it to board of directors. Board of directors says "no it won't, follow the new policy". Bet, that scenario has played out on a monthly basis for many years, especially the last ten. Board messed up, everyone has to pay the price. Just like Congress and Senate. The rest of us pay the price for the mistakes of those at the top. Hopefully the old hand that knows what he's doing can find employment elsewhere, with the skills he has.

But bottom line, the last decade, anything with the word Remington on it, and I did not affiliate that with quality. People speak with their wallet, and that has caused bankruptcy. Is Sako/Tikka doing bad? Is Ruger doing bad? Is Savage, Winchester?

[Linked Image]
800 Yard Steel Range
Precision Rifle Instruction
Memberships and Classes Available
Re: Remington bankruptcy and sale to Navajo Nation. [Re: jetdad] #7883460 06/28/20 02:50 AM
kry226 Online Content
The General
Online Content
The General
Originally Posted by jetdad
Hedge funds generally do not make good stewards of most businesses they acquire. Going after the quick buck rather than the long term appreciation. The brand usually winds up a casualty.

Not unlike what happened to Cabela's.

[Linked Image]
Re: Remington bankruptcy and sale to Navajo Nation. [Re: Sneaky] #7883470 06/28/20 03:03 AM
10 Gauge Online Content
Extreme Tracker
Online Content
Extreme Tracker
Originally Posted by Sneaky
Originally Posted by Bryan C. Heimann
The biggest shareholders forced the sale and bankruptcy of Remington to turn a big profit fast, and left them holding the debt. I am not 100% certain but I would not be suprized if it had something to do with Paul Singer, who basically did it to Cabela's.

Remington have been digging in deep and doing everything they can to remain in business ever since. And whether they are primarily profit driven, or not, as far as I know there is not another gun maker that is as involved in conservation efforts, who also is creating American jobs and offering American made rifles.

And the guns are really not poor quality as some have said. Stop comparing the 783, ADL, or SPS to Tikka. It's not apples to apples.

Instead, pick up a CDL and look it over, work the action, see what you get for $800-$900. Nice walnut, nice steel sights, etc.

I am not a fan boy by any means, I have owned altogether in my lifetime maybe two Remington rifles, and have bought and sold dozens of others over the years.

I think we may be selling them short. I hope that they can strike a deal with the Navajo and that Remington and the Navajo will prosper.

A Tikka shoots better and don’t they cost less? How is that not a fair comparison? Remington has been making junk for years. I do believe that a second bankruptcy kind of proves that.

A tikka does not cost less. It cost more.

The ADL is an entry level rifle and goes for $300-400. SPS same story, it gets bottom metal and goes for $400-$500. Tikka starts out around $600-$650 unless you find a good sale.

783 don't even get me started. That gun is built to compete against Savage Axis, Ruger American, Mossberg Patriot. It does so, admirably. Especially vs the Patriot.

Step it up to the nicer Remingtons, the CDL for example or the BDL. $750-$850. They are very smooth and accurate, very nice stocks.

If you want apples vs apples compare them to the "nicer" Tikka or Sako. Yep, they may be smoother and more accurate, but they cost a bit more too.

1 Thessalonians 4:11-14
Re: Remington bankruptcy and sale to Navajo Nation. [Re: J.G.] #7883475 06/28/20 03:12 AM
10 Gauge Online Content
Extreme Tracker
Online Content
Extreme Tracker

As is often the case, employees are most likely not the problem. Those of them that are just like you and I, are probably doing a job trying to make a living. The suits f-ed this all up, is my bet. Old hand that knows what he's doing tells his manager the new policy is going to cause trouble, manager passes it to upper management, which passes it to board of directors. Board of directors says "no it won't, follow the new policy". Bet, that scenario has played out on a monthly basis for many years, especially the last ten. Board messed up, everyone has to pay the price. Just like Congress and Senate. The rest of us pay the price for the mistakes of those at the top. Hopefully the old hand that knows what he's doing can find employment elsewhere, with the skills he has.

But bottom line, the last decade, anything with the word Remington on it, and I did not affiliate that with quality. People speak with their wallet, and that has caused bankruptcy. Is Sako/Tikka doing bad? Is Ruger doing bad? Is Savage, Winchester?

I agree. Bought, sold, bankrupted. Workers doing what they can with what they have. The people that do this know exactly what they are doing. It is literally a trick, a scam that should come with a felony conviction for those involved.

The main problem I see with Remington is they just do not innovate. They are doing good to stay in business, innovation cost too much and they are being bought, sold, bankrupted intentionally like a bloody scheme. So innovation out the window.

They need a decently built American rifle with a short throw, of decent quality, priced to compete against Winchester XPR, Browning AB3, Ruger American, etc. It would probably help if the company stopped changing hands too. If the deal with the Navajo doesn't work out, they are finished.

Then maybe the sftermarket will scramble towards the more underserved market, where you pretty much have a boyds stock, maybe a prefit barrel, and that is it for 75% of guns

Re: Remington bankruptcy and sale to Navajo Nation. [Re: Sniper John] #7883476 06/28/20 03:15 AM
S
Sneaky Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
S
Well worth a few more dollars to have something that actually shoots, I’d say.

Re: Remington bankruptcy and sale to Navajo Nation. [Re: Sneaky] #7883482 06/28/20 03:27 AM
10 Gauge Online Content
Extreme Tracker
Online Content
Extreme Tracker

I have to agree with you there, and it is not just the way it shoots. If 10-15% higher price gets you arguably the slickest short throw action on the market, PLUS a nicer trigger and better barrel, that is hard to walk away from.

I know I am mr obvious over here and I apologize for that.

I hate to see them go under, when they are gone all you have left is Ruger for American rifles unless you go high end or custom. Or a Winchester model 70. That is about it as far as I can tell. Meanwhile the market is saturated with imports. Labor cost less overseas, but we will pay more for it in the long run.

Also Savage ^

Also Mossberg ^ good grief. Hopefully last edit. But how legit are mossberg rifles? They are good entry level guns, or on a tight budget get you in the deer woods with a decently smooth action on a marginally accurate rifle probably? Also Mossberg, I have nit seen anything about them as partners in conservation with any of the big groups...

Last edited by Bryan C. Heimann; 06/28/20 03:50 AM.

Re: Remington bankruptcy and sale to Navajo Nation. [Re: Sniper John] #7883489 06/28/20 03:32 AM
10 Gauge Online Content
Extreme Tracker
Online Content
Extreme Tracker
To be perfectly clear, that was not intended to shame anyone. Lord knows almost everything I own comes from China probably, or some place similar. But I try to buy American when I can... half the time it is not hardly an option these days.

For overall quality under $1,000 the Browning X bolt is hard to beat as well. Even compared to Tikka, price and overall quality. And Browning is also doing alot for conservation as well, it is a good company.

What has Tikka done for conservation in North America?

Re: Remington bankruptcy and sale to Navajo Nation. [Re: BOBO the Clown] #7883499 06/28/20 03:52 AM
10 Gauge Online Content
Extreme Tracker
Online Content
Extreme Tracker

Amen to that. On that note I gotta walk away from this one.

Last edited by Bryan C. Heimann; 06/28/20 03:53 AM.

Re: Remington bankruptcy and sale to Navajo Nation. [Re: J.G.] #7883502 06/28/20 04:09 AM
BOBO the Clown Online Content
kind of a big deal
Online Content
kind of a big deal

Suits barely account for a percentage point of the number of employees,

You are right we don’t need them, or the roughly one million firearms they sale a year, since they are bigger in units produced then Savage, Tikka and Winchester COMBINED,

Ya lots gun mfg’ing and tooling positions open now a days.......

Like I said hope this move saves the company and employees, loosing the third largest Firearm mfg’er isn’t a good thing. The industries strength is in numbers

Donate to TX Youth hunting program.... better to donate then to waste it in taxes

https://secure.qgiv.com/for/gtgoh/mobile
Re: Remington bankruptcy and sale to Navajo Nation. [Re: Sneaky] #7883514 06/28/20 04:43 AM
S
scottfromdallas Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
S

Yes.

Re: Remington bankruptcy and sale to Navajo Nation. [Re: Sniper John] #7883629 06/28/20 01:51 PM
S
Saddle Tramp Offline
Tracker
Tracker
S
I haven't been keeping up very well but Remington Outdoor company contains a whole list of firearms manufacturers and related companies. These include: Remington arms, Advanced Armament Corporation, Barnes Bullets, Bushmaster Firearms International, Dakota Arms, DPMS Panther Arms, H & R Firearms, Marlin, Mountain Khakis, Para USA, Parker Gunmakers, and TAPCO.

Is Remington being singled out or is it the entire package that is on the line? Seems like the latter because is was a Bushmaster involved at Sandy Hook.

It would be a shame for all of these brands to disappear.

Last edited by Saddle Tramp; 06/28/20 01:52 PM.
Re: Remington bankruptcy and sale to Navajo Nation. [Re: Sniper John] #7883700 06/28/20 03:12 PM
D
DLALLDER Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
D
If Remington is sold to the Navajo Nation, which cannot be held liable for their product, What level of product quality do you think they will produce?

Re: Remington bankruptcy and sale to Navajo Nation. [Re: Saddle Tramp] #7883749 06/28/20 04:23 PM
H
Huntmaster Online Content
Veteran Tracker
Online Content
Veteran Tracker
H
Bottom line is we don’t need another USA company going under; it’s never good.

Re: Remington bankruptcy and sale to Navajo Nation. [Re: DLALLDER] #7883934 06/28/20 07:35 PM
S
Saddle Tramp Offline
Tracker
Tracker
S
Originally Posted by DLALLDER
If Remington is sold to the Navajo Nation, which cannot be held liable for their product, What level of product quality do you think they will produce?

I would hope that they would approach it in a business like manner and require a quality level that is notable while keeping price in line as best as they can.

Re: Remington bankruptcy and sale to Navajo Nation. [Re: Sniper John] #7883989 06/28/20 08:22 PM
J
JCB Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
J
Remington has been left behind. When your competition can offer sub MOA rifles at half the cost of a no accuracy guarantee Remington something is wrong with your company. I remember someone on this forum bought a brand new Remington and the best he could do is about a 5" pattern with it. He said he emailed Remington about it and they said that was considered within tolerance or something to that effect. I assume he has no reason to lie.

Remington had a good run but the last 20 years has been rough. I now consider them the Evinrude of the gun world.

Last edited by JCB; 06/28/20 08:23 PM.
Re: Remington bankruptcy and sale to Navajo Nation. [Re: Huntmaster] #7884059 06/28/20 09:34 PM
T
Texas Dan Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
T
Originally Posted by Huntmaster
Bottom line is we don’t need another USA company going under; it’s never good.

Especially one that makes firearms. There's nothing in the Second Amendment that forces any company to make and sell firearms, nor does it force them produce firearms that satisfy customer markets.

Last edited by Texas Dan; 06/28/20 09:36 PM.

"Some people will never like you because your spirit irritates their demons."
Re: Remington bankruptcy and sale to Navajo Nation. [Re: Sniper John] #7884060 06/28/20 09:35 PM
S
Saddle Tramp Offline
Tracker
Tracker
S
JCB that assessment is well articulated and likely to be spot on. Having grown up with Remington, I truly hope the Navajos can turn it around.

Re: Remington bankruptcy and sale to Navajo Nation. [Re: JCB] #7884373 06/29/20 02:53 AM
kmon11 Online Shocked
junior
Online Shocked
junior
Originally Posted by JCB
Remington has been left behind. When your competition can offer sub MOA rifles at half the cost of a no accuracy guarantee Remington something is wrong with your company. I remember someone on this forum bought a brand new Remington and the best he could do is about a 5" pattern with it. He said he emailed Remington about it and they said that was considered within tolerance or something to that effect. I assume he has no reason to lie.

Remington had a good run but the last 20 years has been rough. I now consider them the Evinrude of the gun world.

I think I remember that rifle, If I remember correctly he replaced it with a Tikka

I have seen some bad things from Remington worst wa a barrel with no rifling. Another was one I bought that had a macing gash and burr on th bolt face that made it impossible to chamber a round which was the last Remington I bought and that was almost 20 years ago. .

Last edited by kmon1; 06/29/20 02:54 AM.

lf the saying "Liar, Liar your pants on fire" were true
Mainstream news might be fun to watch
Re: Remington bankruptcy and sale to Navajo Nation. [Re: kmon11] #7884985 06/29/20 05:54 PM
D
DLALLDER Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
D
Originally Posted by kmon1
Originally Posted by JCB

I think I remember that rifle, If I remember correctly he replaced it with a Tikka

I have seen some bad things from Remington worst wa a barrel with no rifling. Another was one I bought that had a macing gash and burr on th bolt face that made it impossible to chamber a round which was the last Remington I bought and that was almost 20 years ago. .

Sounds like S&W 30 plus years ago when I was in the business & GM in the mid 80's, which was the last time I have or will buy another GM product.

Re: Remington bankruptcy and sale to Navajo Nation. [Re: Sniper John] #7885103 06/29/20 07:48 PM
T
tenyearsgone Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
T
Not shocked or really that sad. I own two Remingtons and will never again. My 798 came from the factory without a crown, and the trigger was very sloppy. I had to pay an additional several hundred dollars to get it to shoot right. My 870 is one of the newer models that feels flimsy. I'm glad I only had to trade some used drag slicks for it.

Page 2 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide