Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: When do you start feeding? [Re: freerange] #7866650 06/10/20 08:18 PM
BOBO the Clown Online Content
kind of a big deal
Online Content
kind of a big deal
Originally Posted by freerange
Originally Posted by stxranchman
I run my corn feeders year round and my protein feeders year round also. I will back the corn feeders off in the spring if I see the corn piling up, if not then I keep them running twice per day till it rains or they back off with mast crops. Last year in June I was feeding more corn from those feeders than I did in the hunting season. This year they just now started to back off the corn with the good May rains and the greenup. The heat is not helping much either. Deer have needs for energy and corn gives them that when they need it. I will run some corn feeders 4 times per day in hunting season with a different amount of spin time on each feeding. I have run a feeding at midnight or just after in the off season when I know the bucks are hitting the protein feeders when it cools off. I checked my feeders today and all of them had corn on the ground from the 3-4 second morning feeding. If that does not improve by Saturday I will turn them down to 2 seconds or so or get the settings closing to darkness.

STx, I understand you turn them down if it starts piling up but if it doesnt pile up then about how much are you throwing per day(offseason.)

Good question. Stx can you give us the volume measurement?

Donate to TX Youth hunting program.... better to donate then to waste it in taxes

https://secure.qgiv.com/for/gtgoh/mobile
Re: When do you start feeding? [Re: freerange] #7866652 06/10/20 08:23 PM
S
stxranchman Offline
Obie Juan Kenobi
Obie Juan Kenobi
S
I run my corn feeders year round and my protein feeders year round also. I will back the corn feeders off in the spring if I see the corn piling up, if not then I keep them running twice per day till it rains or they back off with mast crops. Last year in June I was feeding more corn from those feeders than I did in the hunting season. This year they just now started to back off the corn with the good May rains and the greenup. The heat is not helping much either. Deer have needs for energy and corn gives them that when they need it. I will run some corn feeders 4 times per day in hunting season with a different amount of spin time on each feeding. I have run a feeding at midnight or just after in the off season when I know the bucks are hitting the protein feeders when it cools off. I checked my feeders today and all of them had corn on the ground from the 3-4 second morning feeding. If that does not improve by Saturday I will turn them down to 2 seconds or so or get the settings closing to darkness.

STx, I understand you turn them down if it starts piling up but if it doesnt pile up then about how much are you throwing per day(offseason.)

On June 23, 2018 I took pics of two of my feed pens after a shower of rain to show all the tracks and how beat down the pens were from all the deer activity due to lack of rain. I was feeding 7-8 seconds twice per day at that time due to the lack of rain on top of all the free choice protein and what little food plots I had. On June 25th it started raining and rained 9"+ in the next 10 days and I had corn growing in the pens within 3 weeks. I had turned the feeders down to 2 seconds per day and corn was still not getting cleaned up. The hurricane hit in late Aug and it rained 9+" again and I had to turn them down to 1 second twice per day. This year I am feeding 3-4 seconds twice per day and it is not getting cleaned up like it was 3 weeks ago. With corn and protein feeders side by side I want the corn to draw the bachelor groups of bucks in to continue to train bucks to eat. I get new bucks that move in during hunting season that sometimes end up staying and using my place year round. Lot those deer do not know what a feed pen is or what protein is, so it seems like I am always trying to train a few deer to eat protein for some reason here. That is with 4 corn feeders in pens plus one more at the house on my place here I live on.

Are idiots multiplying faster than normal people?[Linked Image]
Re: When do you start feeding? [Re: stxranchman] #7866667 06/10/20 08:35 PM
F
freerange Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
F

On June 23, 2018 I took pics of two of my feed pens after a shower of rain to show all the tracks and how beat down the pens were from all the deer activity due to lack of rain. I was feeding 7-8 seconds twice per day at that time due to the lack of rain on top of all the free choice protein and what little food plots I had. On June 25th it started raining and rained 9"+ in the next 10 days and I had corn growing in the pens within 3 weeks. I had turned the feeders down to 2 seconds per day and corn was still not getting cleaned up. The hurricane hit in late Aug and it rained 9+" again and I had to turn them down to 1 second twice per day. This year I am feeding 3-4 seconds twice per day and it is not getting cleaned up like it was 3 weeks ago. With corn and protein feeders side by side I want the corn to draw the bachelor groups of bucks in to continue to train bucks to eat. I get new bucks that move in during hunting season that sometimes end up staying and using my place year round. Lot those deer do not know what a feed pen is or what protein is, so it seems like I am always trying to train a few deer to eat protein for some reason here. That is with 4 corn feeders in pens plus one more at the house on my place here I live on.

I love this forum.

At some point in life its time to quit chasing the pot of gold and just enjoy the rainbow. FR
Keep your gratitude higher than your expectations. RWH
Re: When do you start feeding? [Re: Hudbone] #7869665 06/14/20 02:33 AM
Reloder28 Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
Originally Posted by Hudbone
Corn gets filled up Labor Day weekend.

That’s what I do too.

[b][/b]
Re: When do you start feeding? [Re: booger] #7869699 06/14/20 03:32 AM
M
marced Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
M
I feed corn year around and by far see more and better deer then anyone else on our place. They usually just feed during the season.

Re: When do you start feeding? [Re: booger] #7869907 06/14/20 03:15 PM
W
woodduckhunter Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
W
2 sacks approx 10 days before the first sat in November, works everytime

Re: When do you start feeding? [Re: booger] #7869999 06/14/20 05:47 PM
603Country Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
2009 is when I started. I feed twice a day every day.

Not my monkeys, not my circus...
Re: When do you start feeding? [Re: booger] #7870007 06/14/20 05:54 PM
B
Blank Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
B
Partner and his wife just went to the new lease today. Got 4 feeders up and running now, and filled them all today. Place hasn't been hunted for a long while, so just spinning a little in morning and evening to see what's there and get them used to noise and corn. Saw a nice buck out running around in the pasture at 1100, and a bunch of girls along the creek. Not much bothering them this time of the year.

Beer and whiskey, 'cause you can't drink bacon!!
Re: When do you start feeding? [Re: booger] #7870398 06/15/20 12:15 AM
1860.colt Offline
emoji colt.45
emoji colt.45
Just planted a week ago...
[Linked Image]
rofl
flag

i'm postaddic
Re: When do you start feeding? [Re: 1860.colt] #7870501 06/15/20 01:28 AM
F
freerange Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
F
Originally Posted by colt.45
[Linked Image]
rofl
flag

I noticed you didnt misspell anything.

At some point in life its time to quit chasing the pot of gold and just enjoy the rainbow. FR
Keep your gratitude higher than your expectations. RWH
Re: When do you start feeding? [Re: westtexaswatkins] #7871430 06/15/20 11:45 PM
E
Erathkid Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
E
Originally Posted by westtexaswatkins
I feed corn and protein year around. They aren't eating much protein since there is plenty of natural browse right now but they do still seem to like the corn.

We do the same. I will say this, we feed red chain 20 % protein. It has peanut hulls and smells like a candy bar. They absolutely go nuts for this stuff around here. Never had good success with other brands.

Life is too short, as is. Don't chance it.
Don't text and drive.
Re: When do you start feeding? [Re: booger] #7871826 06/16/20 01:45 PM
T
TXHOGSLAYER Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
T
I will start with corn in July.

LETS GO BRANDON
Re: When do you start feeding? [Re: freerange] #7872369 06/16/20 10:23 PM
1860.colt Offline
emoji colt.45
emoji colt.45
[Linked Image]
rofl
flag

bang r u's b hapy now ?
flag

Last edited by colt.45; 06/16/20 10:23 PM.

i'm postaddic
Re: When do you start feeding? [Re: freerange] #7872400 06/16/20 11:02 PM
S
stxranchman Offline
Obie Juan Kenobi
Obie Juan Kenobi
S
[Linked Image]
rofl
flag

He posted before he turned off the auto-correct. Smart enough to bypass that feature plus post with all the emicons, fonts changes and quotations for all his posts on here. Does not do this on other forums.

Are idiots multiplying faster than normal people?[Linked Image]
Re: When do you start feeding? [Re: booger] #7877601 06/22/20 03:01 PM
1860.colt Offline
emoji colt.45
emoji colt.45
[Linked Image]

flag

i'm postaddic
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread