Print Thread
Optic on CCW. #7870549 06/15/20 02:18 AM
E
erathar Offline OP
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
E
I've never considered it, but saw a bunch of youtube videos this weekend. Does anybody here?

Re: Optic on CCW. [Re: erathar] #7870562 06/15/20 02:32 AM
J.G. Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
Don't on my EDC.

But, as far as I can tell via buds that are some I trust on this, the top of the line would be a Trijicon RMR Type 2.

I have one on another firearm. It is always on, quite small, and quite impressive.

[Linked Image]
800 Yard Steel Range
Precision Rifle Instruction
Memberships and Classes Available
Re: Optic on CCW. [Re: erathar] #7870584 06/15/20 03:00 AM
R
RJH1 Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
R
I don't have one on a carry gun, but have messed with them. Some people take to them like a duck to water, others not so much. If you get one you NEED to spend a lot of time drawing and learning to index to the dot, and also learn what to do when you cant find the dot. I also think the trijicons are supposed to be the most durable, but all the brands seem to fail at a rate I am not willing to accept on a carry gun. Other things you need to do is shoot it a bunch in live fire to see how the dot returns after the shot and also how it works for you in transitions.

I tried one for several hundred rounds and never really got used to it, but I also don't feel i gave it enough time. Once people learn them they are fast as hell, but you have to put the time in. They do make hitting tight and distance shots much easier though.

Lint and water will screw up the sight picture, so don't forget to take that into account

Good luck

Re: Optic on CCW. [Re: erathar] #7870642 06/15/20 04:03 AM
KRoyal Online Sleepy
Texoma Legend
Online Sleepy
Texoma Legend
I run one on my daily carry. I’ve practiced with it a bit, but still need to practice more. When I index the weapon the dot is too high and I have to search for it. I have suppressor height sights on it so I can quickly change to the irons if I needed to. Jury is still out on whether I’ll keep it on the gun or not. Like RJH1 said it seems to collect all kinds of lint and hair and water droplets. I find myself clearing the lens probably once a day.

[Linked Image]

Re: Optic on CCW. [Re: erathar] #7870643 06/15/20 04:06 AM
R
Roughneck913 Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
R
I've used one on a carry gun, and do currently. Bounced back and forth quite a bit, but my MR920 will have an RMR on it indefinitely. It took me a LONG time to accept the idea for two reasons. First, the reliability of electronics. many conversations with SME's on that convinced me finally. Then just getting comfortable shooting it took a while after I decided to switch. I made the jump when the new pistol came and I could clear plate racks faster from the draw with the RMR than I could with irons at 10 and 25 yards. took me probably 1500 rounds to get to that point. now I can do it about 20% quicker with the RMR than without it

Re: Optic on CCW. [Re: erathar] #7870819 06/15/20 02:25 PM
C
ccoker Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
C
like the others have said, expect to spend time getting used to it..
I was talking with a buddy at APD and he said what they have seen is the guys that are already good with a pistol it makes them more accurate at distance quickly, the guys that aren't that good at a pistol shoot much worse with them.

Some info worth reading from my buddy Karl Wren at KRTraining

https://forums.mtbr.com/attachments...6-b0b9-4f52-b8b9-489ac684a73c-scaled.jpg

Re: Optic on CCW. [Re: erathar] #7870892 06/15/20 03:50 PM
K
Korean Redneck Online Content
Extreme Tracker
Online Content
Extreme Tracker
K
I carry a bone stock Glock 19 or 26, factory sights and all. I have been wondering, how easy is it to see through one of these sights if they fail and the glass is shattered? IF I ever chose to have an optic on my ccw, I'd have to know the back sights are fully functional in ANY scenario.

I'm a dude who likes long barrels!
Re: Optic on CCW. [Re: Korean Redneck] #7871002 06/15/20 05:24 PM
duckhunter175 Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
Originally Posted by Korean Redneck
I carry a bone stock Glock 19 or 26, factory sights and all. I have been wondering, how easy is it to see through one of these sights if they fail and the glass is shattered? IF I ever chose to have an optic on my ccw, I'd have to know the back sights are fully functional in ANY scenario.

If you go to running an RDS on your carry gun I would absolutely implore you to have co-witnessed iron sights for dot failure-- if your glass shatters or is otherwise unusable bc it gets occluded there are index points of reference that are easily used (high corners on the RMR) for shooting quickly and accurately at short ranges.

Re: Optic on CCW. [Re: duckhunter175] #7871450 06/16/20 12:03 AM
R
Roughneck913 Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
R
Originally Posted by duckhunter175
Originally Posted by Korean Redneck

If you go to running an RDS on your carry gun I would absolutely implore you to have co-witnessed iron sights for dot failure-- if your glass shatters or is otherwise unusable bc it gets occluded there are index points of reference that are easily used (high corners on the RMR) for shooting quickly and accurately at short ranges.

100% spot on. I run/ cowitness irons WITH my RMR. I havent shot it, but I have looked at a pistol with a busted up MRDS (leupold deltapoint in this case) and it looked pretty easily shootable in an emergency

Re: Optic on CCW. [Re: erathar] #7871466 06/16/20 12:21 AM
T
Tactical Cowboy Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
T
I’ve spent a whole lot of time behind a slide ride dot.

My carry gun has irons.

The secret to a long life is to try not to shorten it.
Re: Optic on CCW. [Re: erathar] #7871657 06/16/20 04:13 AM
E
Earl Online Content
Extreme Tracker
Online Content
Extreme Tracker
E
I have them on many (most) of my defensive guns but not any of my carry guns. I shoot very, very well with red dot pistols but I do NOT shoot them enough to be as quick as need be in a carry situation. All of my red dots every one of them rifle, PCC or carbine go with an absolute co witness. I like that setup but it does take a little longer to line up the iron sights and the red dot then shooting without an optic - at least for me. If I trained enough that might not be the case, but I don't shoot enough to get over a moments difference.

Earl

Last edited by Earl; 06/16/20 04:15 AM.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Re: Optic on CCW. [Re: erathar] #7874064 06/18/20 03:00 PM
O
okstatefan Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
O
I have been studying this for the past year and have a little bit of experience and perhaps a personal preference on this topic.

Firstly, I live in an area with a VERY low probability for armed conflict. Some weeks I do not see anyone who I do not personally know. Most days, I see no one else except my wife. The point being that I feel comfortable experimenting with carry options and not worrying about armed confrontation.

I have two almost identical pistols. Both are MR918, a combat and an elite. The combat is naked, not even a WML. The elite has an HE507 and Inforce APLC. Both are carried an a Vedder LightTuck IWB. The range round count and drill time are pretty much identical between the two pistols. I feel very confident drawing and shooting the elite with the optics mounted. I don't have a proper timer, but I am generally a bit more accurate and a little faster with the circle dot. That being said, I would rather trust my life to the naked combat version with no WML and no optic. When I travel into urban areas, I always carry the combat with nothing on it. I've been shooting pistols with traditional sights for over 40 years. IF something dangerous ever goes down, I would rather trust a lifetime of shooting and training than to trust less than a year of learning to run a pistol optics.

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide