Page 1 of 2 1 2
English labs #7855926 05/30/20 10:01 PM
N
Nick1 Offline OP
Bird Dog
OP Offline
Bird Dog
N
I’ve been doing lots of research on labs lately as I’m interested in getting a pup. Any input on hunting in the field with English labs? I’m leaning that way due to their calmer demeanor, but was wondering if that calmer demeanor also shows in the field with lack of drive/interest in retrieving. I know English are still retrievers. But been reading more info online about their show qualities, and not so much on retrieving drive/ qualities. Any experiences on actually hunting with English labs would be appreciated.

Re: English labs [Re: Nick1] #7856000 05/30/20 11:34 PM
bill oxner Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Only hunted with one behind my pointers. It did fine.

Quail hunting is like walking into, and out of a beautiful painting all day long. Gene Hill

[Linked Image]

Re: English labs [Re: Nick1] #7856205 05/31/20 04:09 AM
B
BradyBuck Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
B
There is no actual thing as an "English" lab.

There is no separate standard or anyway to know what you would even get if someone is advertising "English" labs.

The term "English" is typically used to describe a show or bench bred lab. Labs that are bred more for their sticky and block headed look and not for traits desirable for hunting.

The term " British" lab now is an entirely different thing. British field bred dogs from actual titled and proven stock look just like American field bred labs. In general they tend to be a bit softer and calmer.

With all that said you can find everything you want in a hunting companion with American field bred lines.

This is a huge issue within the Labrador breed.

They are bred so much you must do your research when choosing a litter. They can vary greatly in both temperament and looks.

Two most important things are health testing and titles.

When you find a litter out of titled parents who have had OFA hips, eyes and elbows along with genetic testing you then need to ask about their temperament. Go meet them if possible and see if they are what you are looking for.

Last edited by BradyBuck; 05/31/20 04:11 AM.

HRCH Washita's Kimber Locked N Loaded
GRHRCH Firefly's Rally The Troops MH
Re: English labs [Re: Nick1] #7857848 06/01/20 10:25 PM
B
Buzzsaw Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
B
in my experience their bloodline will be show, not go. great pets as they all are.

Re: English labs [Re: Nick1] #7858097 06/02/20 02:40 AM
B
Birdhunter61 Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
B
Two things:
1st you can take the desire out of a dog, but you cant put desire into one.
2nd they will all be as good or bad as you train/make them.

Robby

Re: English labs [Re: Nick1] #7858676 06/02/20 06:53 PM
C
Cochise Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
C
Originally Posted by Nick1
I’ve been doing lots of research on labs lately as I’m interested in getting a pup. Any input on hunting in the field with English labs? I’m leaning that way due to their calmer demeanor, but was wondering if that calmer demeanor also shows in the field with lack of drive/interest in retrieving. I know English are still retrievers. But been reading more info online about their show qualities, and not so much on retrieving drive/ qualities. Any experiences on actually hunting with English labs would be appreciated.

I have zero problems hunting over my confirmation bred labs. Feel free to PM me with any questions.

Life's too short to hunt with an ugly american "field" bred lab duel

But really you can't go wrong with either field or confirmation. Personally I think it all comes down to personal preference. Be prepared though - confirmation bred dogs that also have hunters in the bloodline are not cheap.

Last edited by Cochise; 06/02/20 06:56 PM.
Re: English labs [Re: Nick1] #7858720 06/02/20 07:34 PM
S
Smokey Bear Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
S
For my tastes in a hunting dog, they are not what I would be looking at. I want bidability in an athletic dog with talent. I would be looking at lines that are bred for what I want. You can’t run from genetics.

Smokey Bear---Lone Star State.
Re: English labs [Re: Cochise] #7859537 06/03/20 05:34 PM
B
BradyBuck Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
B
Originally Posted by Cochise

I have zero problems hunting over my confirmation bred labs. Feel free to PM me with any questions.

But really you can't go wrong with either field or confirmation. Personally I think it all comes down to personal preference. Be prepared though - confirmation bred dogs that also have hunters in the bloodline are not cheap.

Sorry to be "that guy" but it is "conformation"

Guess we have a different definition of ugly

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Last edited by BradyBuck; 06/03/20 05:40 PM.

Re: English labs [Re: BradyBuck] #7859839 06/03/20 11:55 PM
C
Cochise Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
C
Originally Posted by BradyBuck
Originally Posted by Cochise

Sorry to be "that guy" but it is "conformation"

Guess we have a different definition of ugly

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Yeah I’m aware it’s conformation. I guess I don’t type well on a phone

As to the dogs - to each their own. It was tongue in cheek - but it’s A okay if the man wants a conformation bred dog. Not everyone wants to go run hunt tests and I’ve never had a problem with my dogs getting the job done - same goes for everyone else I know that has them.

Re: English labs [Re: Nick1] #7865897 06/10/20 01:02 AM
W
waterandwoods Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
W
I have been hunting over my British for the past 7 years and I have never seen a lack of desire whee it was time to go into the field. I don't know where or what you been reading, but thats news to me. She can just as easy to turn it off when it's time to go in the house. Best mannered dog i have ever had and also the most drive to hunt when its time.

I will say that if you decide to go British, make dang sure you check clearances. I was told my dogs eyes were clear and pedigree said as much. Well, i went to have her eyes checked since I was going to breed her 5 years ago. Took vet 5 minutes to determine she had PRA. Did DNA testing to confirm. Her blindness is now setting in bad. I doubt she will hunt anymore.

To make a long story short, UKC does not require, or did not require DNA testing to be able to say dogs eyes are Clear. All they required was for a vet to look in their eyes at an early age, which is not fool proof. I dont' wish what i am going through on anyone. It is very hard to see this child who gained her titles go down hill so fast, eyes, not her DESIRE.

I will never hesitate to get another British lab. I love the size of yellow at 53 lbs.

Re: English labs [Re: Nick1] #7865915 06/10/20 01:27 AM
S
scalebuster Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
S
I had a chocolate British lab, 120lbs Worth. I bought him when I was living in East Tx. He was a decent retriever and a great pet. That big bastard lived in The house with us for 13 years. When I was living on lake Palestine next to a public campground he ran out a lot. My neighbor called him Buffet Line. He would make the rounds from camp to camp begging food. He understood more English than most 5 year old kids. I’ll never have another dog that big. It was hell dragging him in the boat when he was fetching ducks. I have a little 40lb pointing lab that’s twice the hunting dog and just as good of a pet now. I loved that big British lab but would never trade my little pointing lab to have him back.

Re: English labs [Re: Nick1] #7865954 06/10/20 02:11 AM
T
TLew Online Content
Veteran Tracker
Online Content
Veteran Tracker
T
Love my Brit and agree with other comments on both sides of the fence -- in other words, find the dog for you. The only thing I don't necessarily agree with is the "titled" aspect. My dog came from plenty of titles, but i haven't run him in trials and have no desire to. That said, I've posted before that I would love to find a bitch for him so that I can have one of his puppies because he's that fantastic. Steve Vires out of Como, MS was his trainer and he works purely with Brits. As he said, a trial doesn't mean much when a dog can be smarter than the course by taking a shortcut on the way back with the bird in his mouth.

Good luck finding a dog and make sure you wait for the right one.

Re: English labs [Re: Nick1] #7865980 06/10/20 02:38 AM
B
BradyBuck Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
B
You guys are confusing "British" with "English"

They are two very different types of Lab.

Field bred British labs from proven stock are a great choice for a family hunting companion and are typically smaller than American bred field labs.

The term English is used more to describe the big show looking labs.

Last edited by BradyBuck; 06/10/20 02:38 AM.

Re: English labs [Re: Nick1] #7866012 06/10/20 03:13 AM
T
TLew Online Content
Veteran Tracker
Online Content
Veteran Tracker
T
I'm not confusing anything -- I intended to use the term British which is what i have. I know the OP is asking about English labs, however i hear and see comments about drive in British labs as well. Point being, all dogs are different even when from the same breed. Find the right dog that fits your companionship needs.

Re: English labs [Re: TLew] #7866027 06/10/20 03:40 AM
B
BradyBuck Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
B
Originally Posted by TLew
I'm not confusing anything -- I intended to use the term British which is what i have. I know the OP is asking about English labs, however i hear and see comments about drive in British labs as well. Point being, all dogs are different even when from the same breed. Find the right dog that fits your companionship needs.

Was just saying in general it seemed some were confusing the terms.

Anyone saying a dog "can be smarter than the course" is just making excuses.

You don't have to run tests or trials but don't act like because a dog doesn't do well in them means they are just smarter than the course.

That's nonsense..

Re: English labs [Re: Nick1] #7866267 06/10/20 02:06 PM
N
Nick1 Offline OP
Bird Dog
OP Offline
Bird Dog
N
I had learned that the term English was very different from British, but chose to use English due to it seemingly taking over the meaning of both breeds somehow. I have since reviewed my choice. I have found a 3/4 field and 1/4 English (not British) lab pup that has outstanding parents in the field and home. I agree w scalebuster that I really didn’t want to tow around a 100-120 lbs Goliath around everywhere I went. I feel that by waiting and doing my research, I have found that perfect match. The dad is 75 lbs and the mom is 55 lbs. other pups from this litter have show a calmer demeanor, with a very active outdoor side as well.

My advice... this animal will be w me for 10- 14 years, so BE PATIENT, AND GET EXACTLY what your looking for.

Re: English labs [Re: Nick1] #7866278 06/10/20 02:22 PM
B
Biscuit Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
B
great looking dog

Re: English labs [Re: BradyBuck] #7866313 06/10/20 02:46 PM
T
TLew Online Content
Veteran Tracker
Online Content
Veteran Tracker
T

You don't have to run tests or trials but don't act like because a dog doesn't do well in them means they are just smarter than the course.

That's nonsense..

The line back from a retrieve doesn't matter to me was the point I was trying to make. I'd dare say that if that is what docks points on a dog doesn't mean they aren't doing well on trials. FWIW, I didn't even put my dog in trials, so the earlier portion of your remark applies.

Re: English labs [Re: Nick1] #7866350 06/10/20 03:22 PM
BOBO the Clown Online Content
kind of a big deal
Online Content
kind of a big deal
OP- don’t be part of the lab mafia infighting, Just get a chessie, problem solved.

Donate to TX Youth hunting program.... better to donate then to waste it in taxes

https://secure.qgiv.com/for/gtgoh/mobile
Re: English labs [Re: BOBO the Clown] #7866440 06/10/20 04:47 PM
B
BradyBuck Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
B
Originally Posted by BOBO the Clown
OP- don’t be part of the lab mafia infighting, Just get a chessie, problem solved.

Nobody likes getting bit! Lol stir

Re: English labs [Re: TLew] #7866442 06/10/20 04:50 PM
B
BradyBuck Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
B

That's nonsense..

The line back from a retrieve doesn't matter to me was the point I was trying to make. I'd dare say that if that is what docks points on a dog doesn't mean they aren't doing well on trials. FWIW, I didn't even put my dog in trials, so the earlier portion of your remark applies.

Actually the line back from a Retrieve is not typically judged.

However, I do require a straight return in training.

Re: English labs [Re: BradyBuck] #7866610 06/10/20 07:46 PM
BOBO the Clown Online Content
kind of a big deal
Online Content
kind of a big deal
Originally Posted by BOBO the Clown

Nobody likes getting bit! Lol stir

Don’t sass him, he probably knows his job better then his trainer up

Donate to TX Youth hunting program.... better to donate then to waste it in taxes

https://secure.qgiv.com/for/gtgoh/mobile
Re: English labs [Re: Nick1] #7866900 06/11/20 12:24 AM
B
BoPro Offline
Light Foot
Light Foot
B
I've been happy with my "show" dog... grin He's form a line of show and field.

[Linked Image]

Last edited by BoPro; 06/11/20 12:29 AM.
Re: English labs [Re: Nick1] #7871884 06/16/20 02:46 PM
R
Roughneck913 Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
R
My next lab will be an Irish or British one. I've hunted over other peoples Brits, and other peoples (and my own) "American" labs for over around 2 decades and there are some very clear tendency differences. I've been in the process of researching dogs for about 2 years, and after hunting over a few of Barton Ramsey's dogs and a couple of other Brits, I have found this write up to be INCREDIBLY accurate, and a Brit just fits my needs a little better. I want a little smaller dog in the boat, I prefer a dog that isnt as "high strung," and I want a dog that has a higher probability of working well with other dogs/ honoring their retrieves. Now, does training have a TON to do with those last two? Absolutely. But why not buy one that also has a lineage or genetic disposition that I can use to build on?

http://www.southernoakkennels.com/why-british-labs/

Re: English labs [Re: Nick1] #8315169 07/08/21 12:55 AM
N
Nick1 Offline OP
Bird Dog
OP Offline
Bird Dog
N
*UPDATE* I forgot to come back in and update everyone. This is my pup Remi. She an American lab w a smidgeon of Bench lab in her. Very high prey drive and comes from strong hunting lines. She’s doing great with training and have big plans for her. In this pick she’s 6 months old but currently 8 months. Just wanted to show y’all what I ended up with. Thanks.

[Linked Image]

Page 1 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide