Re: Senior citizen hunting help? [Re: DLALLDER] #7856175 05/31/20 03:13 AM
W
Wilhunt Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
W
Originally Posted by DLALLDER
I am 74 and I sure wish I could find a deer/hog loader to fit on the back of my UTV. one that I can assemble if/when I need it & attach it to the tow hitch. All I have seen are built as one piece and are too heavy for me to handle alone.

You can get a lift that fits into the receiver hitch of the UTV and just leave it there. Rattles a bit but that is okay. Comes with crank and cable, wrap the cable around neck and crank it up. You can do it!

Re: Senior citizen hunting help? [Re: DH3] #7856178 05/31/20 03:16 AM
W
Wilhunt Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
W
Originally Posted by DH3
I am 84 and still walk to and climb in my blinds. I do not do it as near as fast as 20 years ago .My problem is lifting...I can no longer lift a 50 pound sack of corn to dump in a 10' high feeder, so I use Home Depot orange buckets and make several more trips up the ladder.. Loading is another issue, so I made a ramp and winch set up to slide a deer kill into the bed of a pickup.
My wife uses a walker and I cannot see how that would work very well in hill country soil with rocks everywhere.
Thank goodness for young able grandsons who love to hunt.

Cut those legs down and you will have a stand and fill...might be easier for you.

Re: Senior citizen hunting help? [Re: DLALLDER] #7866058 06/10/20 05:56 AM
P
pigplinker Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
P
I am 74 and I sure wish I could find a deer/hog loader to fit on the back of my UTV. one that I can assemble if/when I need it & attach it to the tow hitch. All I have seen are built as one piece and are too heavy for me to handle alone.

A good welder might be able to fix it in a usable configuration to take apart.

Re: Senior citizen hunting help? [Re: captdavid] #7866059 06/10/20 06:59 AM
P
pigplinker Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
P

A good welder might be able to fix it in a usable configuration to take apart. Or build you one to suit your needs.

Re: Senior citizen hunting help? [Re: captdavid] #7868203 06/12/20 10:04 AM
D
Dave Davidson Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
D
Went to my place at Bowie yesterday and did some shooting. I hauled a table, chair and other stuff to about 50 yards and used my Grandsons 222. I noticed that I am not keeping my eyes open as I pull the trigger. Its just a quick blink as the trigger breaks. Not even a full flinch but I am not looking the bullet into the target.

Next time I go, I’ll haul a 22 along see if I can break the habit of blinking. I’m betting that using a larger rifle while shooting at a deer is causing a full blown flinch. Got some work to do.

Without a sense of urgency, nothing ever happens.

Boy, if I say "sic em", you'd better look for something to bite. Sam Shelley, Rancher Muleshoe Texas 1892-1985 RIP
Re: Senior citizen hunting help? [Re: captdavid] #7868329 06/12/20 01:41 PM
1860.colt Offline
emoji colt.45
emoji colt.45

scratch Tis sure ya already think of this
:2scents: Carry your cell phone, for extra insurance...
Stay Safe sir.
flag

i'm postaddic
Re: Senior citizen hunting help? [Re: captdavid] #7898243 07/12/20 06:14 PM
donswin Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
I'm 76 and have many of the same concerns. Bags of corn are heavier than they were 10 years ago. My wife and I filled 3 feeders last week and we both came home exhausted. One feeder can be filled using buckets from the ground. The second feeder required that my wife climb up on the platform while I filled and lifted buckets. The third feeder is a crank feeder. Once it is lowered, it's easy to fill, but cranking it back up takes a lot of effort. I'm thinking about putting an electric winch on it and leaving a 12v battery with a solar charger in the feeder pen.

I may have shot my last deer last year unless I have a younger, stronger hunting buddy with me. Getting the deer to camp and cleaning him was an effort. I do have a hitch-mounted winch if the deer is too heavy to tie to the high seat on my Ranger.

Maybe we can keep this thread going and see what others suggest to compensate for old age, arthritis, reduced strength, and hunting aids.

Re: Senior citizen hunting help? [Re: captdavid] #7900494 07/14/20 06:55 PM
donswin Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
I have a question about how you other old guys maintain your hunting trailer or RV. Sometimes, it is necessary to get on the roof. With neuropathy in my feet and knees that MUST have pads if I'm kneeling, I can't make that last step from the ladder to the roof. If I could get on top, it would be unsafe for me to try to get back down.

My brother used to come help, but he is in Arkansas and afraid of the virus. I have the lease to myself, so it is usually just me and my wife.

How do you compensate for this? Are there any tricks or mods that have worked?

Re: Senior citizen hunting help? [Re: captdavid] #7900539 07/14/20 07:42 PM
P
PMK Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
P
find someone younger to go with you, pay them a little bit, let them take a hog or a deer sometime. There are people wiling to help usually.

"everyone that lives dies but not everyone who dies lived..."

~PMK~
Re: Senior citizen hunting help? [Re: captdavid] #7900557 07/14/20 08:05 PM
J
Jimbo1 Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
J
I use a Hitch mounted hoist I got 6 years ago from Sportsmans Guide to load my deer and pigs. It's not too heavy for me attach when needed and has saved my back. My wife is still able to climb on to the trailer if really needed. I have switched all my feeders to load from the ground. I don't do ladders much anymore.

FJB - Lets Go Brandon
BBB - Bring Back Better
Awake - Not Woke!
Re: Senior citizen hunting help? [Re: PMK] #7900571 07/14/20 08:30 PM
donswin Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
Originally Posted by PMK
find someone younger to go with you, pay them a little bit, let them take a hog or a deer sometime. There are people wiling to help usually.

The virus has kept me confined because of underlying health conditions. If I could find someone who is responsible and a multi-talented handyman, a great deal could be made. I"ll have to check my gun club for interested parties in the Dallas area.

Re: Senior citizen hunting help? [Re: donswin] #7900589 07/14/20 08:45 PM
F
freerange Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
F
Anyone that is too old to do basic work involved in hunting i would highly suggest you work towards getting into a lease situation where other people are around. Im sure theres a down side to doing that and easier said than done but its only going to get worse as you get older. You may come up with a fix to get you past your immediate hurdle but as you age the hurdles wilI still be there and get worse. Get ahead of the problem. I want to continue hunting until I die so I will put myself into a position where I have youngs around.

At some point in life its time to quit chasing the pot of gold and just enjoy the rainbow. FR
Keep your gratitude higher than your expectations. RWH
Re: Senior citizen hunting help? [Re: captdavid] #7903810 07/17/20 02:34 PM
J
Jimbo Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
J
I've got hip and back problems and at 73 I'm not as steady and strong as I used to be, but I still manage to fill a feeder using the bucket method. It takes longer but you need a helper on the ground.
Any ladder I climb is tied down either to the feeder or my truck bed before I even attempt to climb up the steps.
My blinds are popups or a box blind only about 2 feet off the ground with a small stair case, or I hunt out of my preferred way of out of the truck from the drivers seat, parked, watching a sendero.
If I get a deer I try to drop it in it's tracks, drive up to it and tie it to the tailgate and drag it to our drive through cleaning tree, with the boat winch attached to the tree where I then crank it up and gut and skin it, and quarter it and put the pieces into an ice chest for the trip home.

Thursday at 12:45 PM
Once i learned that i didn't "NEED" to kill something, and that if i did kill something all the fun stopped and work began, i was a much better hunter.
Re: Senior citizen hunting help? [Re: booskay] #7904144 07/17/20 07:31 PM
P
Perfect 8 Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
P
Originally Posted by booskay
You have neuropathy ----------lots of dispute on this, but b-12 injections are supposed to help ----------- here is an email from my sister who is a nurse --------- I am about 10 days into taking these pills. I figured for $80, what the hell, I"ll try it.

Amazon.com: Eligen B12 Vitamin B-12 Tablets - 1000 mcg - Easy to Use - Clinically Proven to Be As Effective as Injections & Boosts Energy Level & Overall Health (1 Month Supply, 30 Count, Small Tablets): Health & Personal Care

you need to try this-- it is the ONLY absorbable b12 pill and it will help your neuropathy !

it takes a while for nerves to heal so get 2 bottles-

Don't take medical advise from ANYONE on a listserve!

Re: Senior citizen hunting help? [Re: captdavid] #7904193 07/17/20 08:18 PM
M
majekman Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
M
I have a 17yo...6’1. 200lb grandson that is a hard core hunter/fisherman.
I’m good to go

Re: Senior citizen hunting help? [Re: freerange] #7904263 07/17/20 09:28 PM
donswin Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
Originally Posted by freerange
Anyone that is too old to do basic work involved in hunting i would highly suggest you work towards getting into a lease situation where other people are around. Im sure theres a down side to doing that and easier said than done but its only going to get worse as you get older. You may come up with a fix to get you past your immediate hurdle but as you age the hurdles wilI still be there and get worse. Get ahead of the problem. I want to continue hunting until I die so I will put myself into a position where I have youngs around.

freerange, thanks for an honest evaluation of aging and hunting. Unless I have help, I won't shoot another deer. The work afterwards takes the fun out of it. I'm on a one-man 200 acre lease. Most of my use now is just to get away from the city and enjoy the fresh air and see wildlife. I do have a target and steel plates set up for sighting in and target practice. Ideally, I would find a compatible, trustworthy, hunter that has the skills to fix things and doesn't bring a crowd to the lease. Just a guy who wants to hunt occasionally and maybe bring a child to introduce them to the outdoors. If I found such a person, I would eventually turn the lease over to them, but in the meantime, they could hunt free.

Re: Senior citizen hunting help? [Re: donswin] #7904654 07/18/20 12:32 PM
J
Jimbo1 Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
J
Originally Posted by donswin
Originally Posted by freerange

freerange, thanks for an honest evaluation of aging and hunting. Unless I have help, I won't shoot another deer. The work afterwards takes the fun out of it. I'm on a one-man 200 acre lease. Most of my use now is just to get away from the city and enjoy the fresh air and see wildlife. I do have a target and steel plates set up for sighting in and target practice. Ideally, I would find a compatible, trustworthy, hunter that has the skills to fix things and doesn't bring a crowd to the lease. Just a guy who wants to hunt occasionally and maybe bring a child to introduce them to the outdoors. If I found such a person, I would eventually turn the lease over to them, but in the meantime, they could hunt free.

That's a great gesture. I bet you can find that person on here.

FJB - Lets Go Brandon
BBB - Bring Back Better
Awake - Not Woke!
Re: Senior citizen hunting help? [Re: booskay] #7904856 07/18/20 06:15 PM
C
colt45-90 Offline
Texas colt45
Texas colt45
C
Originally Posted by booskay
You have neuropathy ----------lots of dispute on this, but b-12 injections are supposed to help ----------- here is an email from my sister who is a nurse --------- I am about 10 days into taking these pills. I figured for $80, what the hell, I"ll try it.

Amazon.com: Eligen B12 Vitamin B-12 Tablets - 1000 mcg - Easy to Use - Clinically Proven to Be As Effective as Injections & Boosts Energy Level & Overall Health (1 Month Supply, 30 Count, Small Tablets): Health & Personal Care

you need to try this-- it is the ONLY absorbable b12 pill and it will help your neuropathy !

it takes a while for nerves to heal so get 2 bottles-

a doctor in the crowd hanged

hold on Newt, we got a runaway
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide