S
Sauerkraut Offline OP
Tracker
OP Offline
Tracker
S
Hi Everyone,

Here's the sob-story first:

The owners of the lease I had access to decided to disperse the land amongst their kids and end the lease frown. I've been looking for another lease within my budget and distance range and my attempts have been fruitless thus far.

Moving on:

I took a trip to the LBJ grasslands recently to hunt rabbits and loved the section that we hunted. That being said, part of the allure was that no one else was there at the time...being that nothing really popular is in season right now.

I'm not a bow-hunter, but I was thinking of getting into it just as it would be my means of hunting in the grasslands this fall. I'm looking for those of you who have some experience in the area and might have some insight as far as hunting pressure, general techniques, success rates (in general), etc.

My biggest question is - how much pressure do the units get during deer season? Will there be hunters all over each one or are there particular sections that get more pressure? Will I be able to move around on the section while hunting or do I need to pretty much pick a spot and post up, waiting for something to walk by?

I'm trying to decide if it's worth investing in the bow and the time involved in practicing, scouting, etc. in order to hunt the grasslands. I'd hate to do all the work just to find out the land is so pressured that it's nearly impossible to hunt successfully.

Any help/info/suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Nic

"Whatever your hand finds to do, do it with all your might, for in the realm of the dead, where you are going, there is neither working nor planning nor knowledge nor wisdom." - Ecclesiastes 9:10
Re: New to LBJ Grasslands: Advice/Info [Re: Sauerkraut] #7856653 05/31/20 07:54 PM
S
swampthang Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
S
LBJ does get hit pretty hard by the bow hunters in october,then it REALLY gets hammered by the slug-gunners and black powder guys when the general season opens in November. No centerfire rifles allowed at LBJ. Most bowhunters hunt from a tree stand or ground blind so there is not much moving around on their part..still-hunting,stalking etc. I would say its definitely worth buying a bow and giving it a go at LBJ.

Re: New to LBJ Grasslands: Advice/Info [Re: swampthang] #7856730 05/31/20 09:16 PM
S
Sauerkraut Offline OP
Tracker
OP Offline
Tracker
S
Ok thanks for the info. You pretty much read right into what I was getting at....I love the stalking aspect of hunting when I get the chance. I was afraid if I went that route in the grasslands I'd accidentally bump into another hunter's area. Don't want to be "that guy".

Maybe I'll look into a tree stand. Thanks!

"Whatever your hand finds to do, do it with all your might, for in the realm of the dead, where you are going, there is neither working nor planning nor knowledge nor wisdom." - Ecclesiastes 9:10
Re: New to LBJ Grasslands: Advice/Info [Re: Sauerkraut] #7857310 06/01/20 01:52 PM
1860.colt Online Content
emoji colt.45
Online Content
emoji colt.45
welcome ta texasHF..
Were about you live ?
Theirs a few other area's offering deer/hog hunts..
Mostly SW check them out...
Brst wish's...
flag

i'm postaddic
Re: New to LBJ Grasslands: Advice/Info [Re: 1860.colt] #7857436 06/01/20 04:05 PM
S
Sauerkraut Offline OP
Tracker
OP Offline
Tracker
S
Howdy Colt.45,

Thanks for the welcome!

I'm in the Aubrey area. Just moved back from Fort Worth. I'm planning on checking out the hog situation around Ray Bob soon but no deer hunting there unfortunately. Any other spots you'd recommend?

Re: New to LBJ Grasslands: Advice/Info [Re: Sauerkraut] #7857677 06/01/20 07:35 PM
7mmSavage Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
Haven't hunted there in a while but my best advise is to scout a couple different areas and when you go out drive around the units you want to hunt and if no vehicles around go for it. If someone is parked there I just move on to my next location. Get a map if you don't have one already. I've meet the federal warden while dove hunting so make sure your legal and he will be friendly. Be careful not to cross boundaries and trespass. You'll see markers. Lots of horse riders. Some will give advice on wildlife they see. Don't expect to shoot a limit of dove there either. Only had a chance once but couldn't hit hardly anything that day. I did encounter a rifle hunter once opening weekend being very reckless with his shooting. I was young and didn't have a number or thought to report him but wish I hade. Stay away first two weekends of shotgun black power season. Best to go week days. Weekend of thanksgiving is only time you can shoot Does beside archery so it's busy then. Good luck. I'll probably be out there this season since I lost my lease.

Re: New to LBJ Grasslands: Advice/Info [Re: 7mmSavage] #7857694 06/01/20 07:55 PM
S
swampthang Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
S
Originally Posted by 7mmSavage
Haven't hunted there in a while but my best advise is to scout a couple different areas and when you go out drive around the units you want to hunt and if no vehicles around go for it. If someone is parked there I just move on to my next location. Get a map if you don't have one already. I've meet the federal warden while dove hunting so make sure your legal and he will be friendly. Be careful not to cross boundaries and trespass. You'll see markers. Lots of horse riders. Some will give advice on wildlife they see. Don't expect to shoot a limit of dove there either. Only had a chance once but couldn't hit hardly anything that day. I did encounter a rifle hunter once opening weekend being very reckless with his shooting. I was young and didn't have a number or thought to report him but wish I hade. Stay away first two weekends of shotgun black power season. Best to go week days. Weekend of thanksgiving is only time you can shoot Does beside archery so it's busy then. Good luck. I'll probably be out there this season since I lost my lease.

I agree with most things in your post except a couple of things;

1) If there is a truck at a parking area don't let that stopped you from hunting there. That unit could be several hundred acres and there's room for more than one hunter. If you encounter that hunter in his treestand or whatever just take a detour and find another spot.

2) I would say don't pass up those first 2 weeks of gun season. Mature bucks might get killed by somebody but not you because you weren't there. Its also the start of the rut. Bucks become more spooky and nocturnal as the season wears on. Just wear plenty of blaze orange and you'll be fine.

Re: New to LBJ Grasslands: Advice/Info [Re: Sauerkraut] #7857916 06/01/20 11:55 PM
S
Sauerkraut Offline OP
Tracker
OP Offline
Tracker
S
This is great advice. Much appreciated.

Re: New to LBJ Grasslands: Advice/Info [Re: Sauerkraut] #7857981 06/02/20 12:45 AM
S
swampthang Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
S
I rolled up on Lake Coopers South Unit one morning and there was already about 15 trucks parked at the gate. Holy Whisker Bisquit! I eased into the woods,set up my stand and had a good hunt all the same.

Re: New to LBJ Grasslands: Advice/Info [Re: swampthang] #7858464 06/02/20 03:05 PM
S
Sauerkraut Offline OP
Tracker
OP Offline
Tracker
S
That’s encouraging. It definitely sounds worth the effort. Just a little more of a challenge...not necessarily a bad thing.

Re: New to LBJ Grasslands: Advice/Info [Re: Sauerkraut] #7860236 06/04/20 01:29 PM
1860.colt Online Content
emoji colt.45
Online Content
emoji colt.45
2cents
when hunted (deer) leases, its a ruteen, unless their was hogs on it, we had work days.
Brush hog trails ta stands, plant food plots, end feeders, stands, prepair for deer season.
As have posted many times, deer learn ta pattern people...
First deer lease, opening day, it sounded like a moter cycle ralley...
Everyone had at least a three wheeler of 4 wheeler.
confused2 i had no stand, feeders, nore food plot.
Just a tree, with a line ta hoist rifle up set alone trails with good sign.
Both ways ya pretty much sit & wait for something ta show up...
execative hunt - ya sitten in box stand outa d weather, food plots, cornfeeders.
Pubic land - tis called baiting...
texas has up roughly 1,000,000acres if not more open ta the public...
& yes, thar b Free ranging trophy deer... ya dont need HF...
Been lots of debates on who owns the wildlife, (deer) mostly...
Hunting licence tis a lottery ticket, land owners, have the upper hand...
Tresspassing fees... Have had opertunity ta hunt privete land free ...

With all the high-tech in hunting equipment..
The biggest problem with hogs, tis, Big Buck$...
rofl & guns dont kill..

slingerHave gun, will travel...

Got on this forum ta see if any one wanted ta do some hog hunten on WMA,
Haven't meet many friends, rofl tis at top of the ignorance list...

Some times ya gotta think outa d box..

Best wishs stay safe...
Keep your head held high & your powder dry...
Gone fishing...

flag

i'm postaddic
Re: New to LBJ Grasslands: Advice/Info [Re: 1860.colt] #7860378 06/04/20 04:24 PM
S
Sauerkraut Offline OP
Tracker
OP Offline
Tracker
S
Had to read it 3 times but I think I got your drift!

Re: New to LBJ Grasslands: Advice/Info [Re: Sauerkraut] #7860669 06/04/20 10:20 PM
F
freerange Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
F
If you get his drift you are unique.

At some point in life its time to quit chasing the pot of gold and just enjoy the rainbow. FR
Keep your gratitude higher than your expectations. RWH
Re: New to LBJ Grasslands: Advice/Info [Re: 1860.colt] #7860812 06/05/20 02:03 AM
S
swampthang Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
S
Originally Posted by colt.45
2cents
when hunted (deer) leases, its a ruteen, unless their was hogs on it, we had work days.
Brush hog trails ta stands, plant food plots, end feeders, stands, prepair for deer season.
execative hunt - ya sitten in box stand outa d weather, food plots, cornfeeders.

rofl & guns dont kill..

Best wishs stay safe...
Gone fishing...

flag

Gone fishing my azz.You aint posted nary a fishing pitcher. You live in the best state in the union for fishing but you'd rather be typing on a damn computer.

Re: New to LBJ Grasslands: Advice/Info [Re: swampthang] #7861012 06/05/20 12:23 PM
1860.colt Online Content
emoji colt.45
Online Content
emoji colt.45
Originally Posted by swampthang
Originally Posted by colt.45
2cents

rofl & guns dont kill..

Best wishs stay safe...
Gone fishing...

flag

Gone fishing my azz.You aint posted nary a fishing pitcher. You live in the best state in the union for fishing but you'd rather be typing on a damn computer.

cheers got few threads in other parts of forum...
confused2 why aint you out helpen with dis so called hog problem ?
Thar several WMA, public land, that have hunted, & seen plenty hogs..
Thats why post & have threads in this section..

Lots of hunters (tis a hunting forum) not gramner class...

Tis on way now ta 🎣 for white bass ( what they listed as here) stripers thar.

flag

i'm postaddic
Re: New to LBJ Grasslands: Advice/Info [Re: Sauerkraut] #7861228 06/05/20 04:18 PM
S
swampthang Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
S
Colt them nasty hogs get a pass from me.Too much trouble dragging them out the woods,cleaning,etc. They come around quite often when I'm in my stand. I let other guys deal with them.

Re: New to LBJ Grasslands: Advice/Info [Re: swampthang] #7862300 06/06/20 03:28 PM
1860.colt Online Content
emoji colt.45
Online Content
emoji colt.45
Originally Posted by swampthang
Colt them nasty hogs get a pass from me.Too much trouble dragging them out the woods,cleaning,etc. They come around quite often when I'm in my stand. I let other guys deal with them.

cheers as posted no gutting, back straps, quarters, (depending size & distance) back pack worked best for me...
Alien body parts, ya learn ta adapt, over come, & improvise...
tis NOT an execative hunt like lease, privete land, were majority of hunt tis sit & wait, over bait sight, & drive up...

Twas on M-60 rifle big bro ta d M-16, on fully auto, can puts lots of bullets down range...
up lots of NV, Thermal, few whirey-bird video's of hog hunts, up in other parts of forum...

They called me muyloco caveman at work ase of me hog hunts, 1,100 acer lease, slinger
& me hunts on pubic land... Going inta the thick stuff, bang even with hunter orange.
Wounded hogs twast what scared me, twas the hunter walking threw d woods caring a rifle that be scared of a hog...

Stay Safe , tis a jungle out thar...

flag

i'm postaddic
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide