Print Thread
Looking for English pup. #7859451 06/03/20 03:53 PM
N
Nick1 Offline OP
Bird Dog
OP Offline
Bird Dog
N
Hello, I’m looking to purchase an ACK English, British, bench, show (whatever you want to call it) lab From reputable breeder doing all the right things. Looking for a female with cleared parents of genetics and hips etc with paperwork to show testing. Prefer a chocolate. I live in San Antonio but willing to drive in Texas. Thanks, pm me if you prefer that with info.

Re: Looking for English pup. [Re: Nick1] #7859535 06/03/20 05:30 PM
B
BradyBuck Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
B
Chocolate show dog for a hunting buddy...

Putting yourself behind the right ball from the start..

HRCH Washita's Kimber Locked N Loaded
GRHRCH Firefly's Rally The Troops MH
Re: Looking for English pup. [Re: BradyBuck] #7859611 06/03/20 07:16 PM
N
Nick1 Offline OP
Bird Dog
OP Offline
Bird Dog
N
Originally Posted by BradyBuck
Chocolate show dog for a hunting buddy...

Putting yourself behind the right ball from the start..

Not from what I’ve read.

Re: Looking for English pup. [Re: Nick1] #7859629 06/03/20 07:29 PM
S
Smokey Bear Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
S
Brady dropping a pearl of wisdom on you...

Smokey Bear---Lone Star State.
Re: Looking for English pup. [Re: Nick1] #7859855 06/04/20 12:14 AM
B
BradyBuck Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
B
"Eight ball" ....

You literally couldn't pick another lab type that has a better chance of being a flop...

You definitely could end up with a good hunting buddy but you are stacking the deck against yourself.

Re: Looking for English pup. [Re: BradyBuck] #7859888 06/04/20 12:50 AM
N
Nick1 Offline OP
Bird Dog
OP Offline
Bird Dog
N
"Eight ball" ....

You literally couldn't pick another lab type that has a better chance of being a flop...

You definitely could end up with a good hunting buddy but you are stacking the deck against yourself.

Are you talking about wanting an English? Is it the chocolate that’s the problem, or both? Please explain.. not saying you are wrong. What is your experience with either. What do you recommend? Thanks

Re: Looking for English pup. [Re: Nick1] #7859981 06/04/20 02:11 AM
B
BradyBuck Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
B
Originally Posted by Nick1
"Eight ball" ....

Are you talking about wanting an English? Is it the chocolate that’s the problem, or both? Please explain.. not saying you are wrong. What is your experience with either. What do you recommend? Thanks

It is my recommendation that anyone wanting a Labrador for hunting purposes buy from a litter with a proven pedigree and all appropriate health clearances.

You can find that in any color.

The issue with an English bred chocolate specifically is that they literally have only been bred for looks. You are already shrinking your gene pool by wanting chocolate and then add in the "English" factor and it's even worse.

Anyone advertising an "English" litter would throw up red flags anyway in that it's not even an acceptable term.

You can probably find a chocolate conformation/Show bred litter with some hunt test titles in the pedigree or at the very least watch the parents hunt and observe their temperament.

It will just take some digging and research to find a good one.

If I was you I'd look for a good field bred chocolate litter that has the "look" you want and then ask about temperament and go meet the parents and see if they have the traits you are looking for.

Last edited by BradyBuck; 06/04/20 02:14 AM.

Re: Looking for English pup. [Re: BradyBuck] #7860014 06/04/20 02:37 AM
N
Nick1 Offline OP
Bird Dog
OP Offline
Bird Dog
N
Bradybuck....
“You can probably find a chocolate conformation/Show bred litter with some hunt test titles in the pedigree or at the very least watch the parents hunt and observe their temperament.

If I was you I'd look for a good field bred chocolate litter that has the "look" you want and then ask about temperament and go meet the parents and see if they have the traits you are looking for.”

These are the English chocolates I’m already talking about.. speaking to many breeders, some of the best are breeding the best qualities of English labs. I know semantics that English isn’t even correct, but it is what it is. Is a “good field bred chocolate” lab you are talking about the “American” version? I’m open to either, I just read the English has a calmer demeanor, not as hyper/driven. That fits my lifestyle better. Appreciate your info

Re: Looking for English pup. [Re: Nick1] #7860360 06/04/20 04:09 PM
L
Leonardo Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
L
Bradybuck....
“You can probably find a chocolate conformation/Show bred litter with some hunt test titles in the pedigree or at the very least watch the parents hunt and observe their temperament.

If I was you I'd look for a good field bred chocolate litter that has the "look" you want and then ask about temperament and go meet the parents and see if they have the traits you are looking for.”

These are the English chocolates I’m already talking about.. speaking to many breeders, some of the best are breeding the best qualities of English labs. I know semantics that English isn’t even correct, but it is what it is. Is a “good field bred chocolate” lab you are talking about the “American” version? I’m open to either, I just read the English has a calmer demeanor, not as hyper/driven. That fits my lifestyle better. Appreciate your info

The breeder's are trying to sell you something! BradyBuck is offering solid advice with no skin in the game. When your leading your search by color and key words then your off to a bad start.

A majority of the time temperament around the house is a learned behavior.

Re: Looking for English pup. [Re: Leonardo] #7861484 06/05/20 07:58 PM
N
Nick1 Offline OP
Bird Dog
OP Offline
Bird Dog
N
Leonardo...I’m listening to bradybucks advice with open ears. As a novice in this arena I’m open to all aspects of the advice. Do you think I’m disagreeing with him? What makes you think so? Hey thanks for taking a puff off his cigar though.

Originally Posted by Leonardo
Bradybuck....

The breeder's are trying to sell you something! BradyBuck is offering solid advice with no skin in the game. When your leading your search by color and key words then your off to a bad start.

A majority of the time temperament around the house is a learned behavior.

Re: Looking for English pup. [Re: Nick1] #7861496 06/05/20 08:04 PM
N
Nick1 Offline OP
Bird Dog
OP Offline
Bird Dog
N
After reading some advice, I opened up my search. I actually put a deposit on a lab pup that the sire is all field with a proven hunting/retrieving history and the mom is 1/2 English half American. This will be their third litter. Previous pups look great. Females averaging 60 lbs with a slight thicker frame than an all American female. This was the look I was going for originally. Thanks for the advice. Bradybuck actually opened up my eyes a little. Thanks.

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide