texashuntingforum.com logo
Main Menu
Advertisement
Affiliates
Advertisement
Newest Members
Patchy, LudwigVonRand, kidon, Kenny leopold, mattaparity
70137 Registered Users
Top Posters(All Time)
dogcatcher 110,525
bill oxner 91,416
SnakeWrangler 63,586
stxranchman 59,968
Gravytrain 46,950
RKHarm24 44,585
rifleman 44,461
BMD 41,236
Forum Statistics
Forums46
Topics608,897
Posts11,315,606
Members85,137
Most Online19,184
Feb 5th, 2020
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Briskets #7853847 05/28/20 06:45 PM
Joined: Jun 2011
Posts: 28,332
B
Buzzsaw Offline OP
THF Celebrity
OP Offline
THF Celebrity
B
Joined: Jun 2011
Posts: 28,332
My Walmart is always out

I haven't looked anywhere else .

where are yall buying yours. I need to attempt one.

Flat ?? most lean (burnt ends)
Point?? most fat??

so i'm a virgin. im gonna try and start with a point, 10# ???

1. trim
2. season
3. indirect heat.

what cooking temp?
what internal temp to reach
then wrap and rest?

thanks

Last edited by Buzzsaw; 05/28/20 07:02 PM.

SPACE FOR RENT


Re: Briskets [Re: Buzzsaw] #7853862 05/28/20 07:05 PM
Joined: Apr 2008
Posts: 2,897
T
TPACK Offline
Veteran Tracker
Offline
Veteran Tracker
T
Joined: Apr 2008
Posts: 2,897
I bought 3 at Kroger last week@1.67 lb. and one the week before@ 1.99 lb. Walmart in Granbury had the for 2.89 lb.(me no buy). I buy them every time I see them on sale whether I need them or not. It`s better to be looking at them instead of looking for them.

Re: Briskets [Re: Buzzsaw] #7853904 05/28/20 07:54 PM
Joined: Jul 2018
Posts: 829
T
Thisisbeer Offline
Tracker
Offline
Tracker
T
Joined: Jul 2018
Posts: 829
Why not just cook a packer brisket? I get mine at HEB. The point is more forgiving. I usually do a 15-18 pound packer that is probably closer to 11-13 pounds after it’s trimmed. Burnt ends are made out of the point.

My method For a whole packer is -

1. Trim fat cap to about 1/4” and trim the whole brisket so there are no points sticking out. It should look like a smooth curve. Think sports car.
2. Thin layer of mustard all over the brisket.
3. Good coating of equal by volume kosher salt and pepper. Only use kosher salt.
3. Get the fire going at about 250.
4. Take the brisket from the fridge and put it on with the point closest to the fire and fat cap up.
5. Smoke for around 3-4 hours. Mix up a spray bottle with half water and half Worcestershire.
6. Check on the brisket. Don’t baste the brisket, but if there are some spots cooking faster than others give those spots a lite spray with the bottle to slow the cooking down on them. This isn’t for moisture this is to promote even cooking.
7. Check and spray Every hour or so until it starts cooking even.
8. When the bark is where you want it wrap in butcher paper and crank the heat to 275-300.
9. Finish temperature doesn’t matter. You want to be able to stick a probe in it and be like warm butter. This will happen between 190-210.
10. Once it’s done wrap it up in a towel and put it in a cooler until it’s about 145 internal. Then slice and enjoy.

10 easy steps.

Key thing to remember is get a good blue smoke. You don’t want a thick white smoke as it will make the meat bitter tasting. That means on my offset I keep the smoke vent wide open and I leave the door open on the side of the fire box so I can get maximum airflow to the smoke chamber. I control the heat by moving the wood around. That takes some practice. I even put the wood in the smoker so it’s piping hot and ignited as soon as I put it on the fire. What kind of smoker are you using anyway?

Last edited by Thisisbeer; 05/28/20 07:59 PM.
Re: Briskets [Re: Thisisbeer] #7853954 05/28/20 08:59 PM
Joined: Apr 2008
Posts: 2,897
T
TPACK Offline
Veteran Tracker
Offline
Veteran Tracker
T
Joined: Apr 2008
Posts: 2,897
Originally Posted by Thisisbeer
Why not just cook a packer brisket? I get mine at HEB. The point is more forgiving. I usually do a 15-18 pound packer that is probably closer to 11-13 pounds after it’s trimmed. Burnt ends are made out of the point.

My method For a whole packer is -

1. Trim fat cap to about 1/4” and trim the whole brisket so there are no points sticking out. It should look like a smooth curve. Think sports car.
2. Thin layer of mustard all over the brisket.
3. Good coating of equal by volume kosher salt and pepper. Only use kosher salt.
3. Get the fire going at about 250.
4. Take the brisket from the fridge and put it on with the point closest to the fire and fat cap up.
5. Smoke for around 3-4 hours. Mix up a spray bottle with half water and half Worcestershire.
6. Check on the brisket. Don’t baste the brisket, but if there are some spots cooking faster than others give those spots a lite spray with the bottle to slow the cooking down on them. This isn’t for moisture this is to promote even cooking.
7. Check and spray Every hour or so until it starts cooking even.
8. When the bark is where you want it wrap in butcher paper and crank the heat to 275-300.
9. Finish temperature doesn’t matter. You want to be able to stick a probe in it and be like warm butter. This will happen between 190-210.
10. Once it’s done wrap it up in a towel and put it in a cooler until it’s about 145 internal. Then slice and enjoy.

10 easy steps.

Key thing to remember is get a good blue smoke. You don’t want a thick white smoke as it will make the meat bitter tasting. That means on my offset I keep the smoke vent wide open and I leave the door open on the side of the fire box so I can get maximum airflow to the smoke chamber. I control the heat by moving the wood around. That takes some practice. I even put the wood in the smoker so it’s piping hot and ignited as soon as I put it on the fire. What kind of smoker are you using anyway?


Well said. I Concur !!
[Linked Image]

Re: Briskets [Re: TPACK] #7853994 05/28/20 09:38 PM
Joined: Jun 2011
Posts: 28,332
B
Buzzsaw Offline OP
THF Celebrity
OP Offline
THF Celebrity
B
Joined: Jun 2011
Posts: 28,332
Originally Posted by TPACK
Originally Posted by Thisisbeer
Why not just cook a packer brisket? I get mine at HEB. The point is more forgiving. I usually do a 15-18 pound packer that is probably closer to 11-13 pounds after it’s trimmed. Burnt ends are made out of the point.

My method For a whole packer is -

1. Trim fat cap to about 1/4” and trim the whole brisket so there are no points sticking out. It should look like a smooth curve. Think sports car.
2. Thin layer of mustard all over the brisket.
3. Good coating of equal by volume kosher salt and pepper. Only use kosher salt.
3. Get the fire going at about 250.
4. Take the brisket from the fridge and put it on with the point closest to the fire and fat cap up.
5. Smoke for around 3-4 hours. Mix up a spray bottle with half water and half Worcestershire.
6. Check on the brisket. Don’t baste the brisket, but if there are some spots cooking faster than others give those spots a lite spray with the bottle to slow the cooking down on them. This isn’t for moisture this is to promote even cooking.
7. Check and spray Every hour or so until it starts cooking even.
8. When the bark is where you want it wrap in butcher paper and crank the heat to 275-300.
9. Finish temperature doesn’t matter. You want to be able to stick a probe in it and be like warm butter. This will happen between 190-210.
10. Once it’s done wrap it up in a towel and put it in a cooler until it’s about 145 internal. Then slice and enjoy.

10 easy steps.

Key thing to remember is get a good blue smoke. You don’t want a thick white smoke as it will make the meat bitter tasting. That means on my offset I keep the smoke vent wide open and I leave the door open on the side of the fire box so I can get maximum airflow to the smoke chamber. I control the heat by moving the wood around. That takes some practice. I even put the wood in the smoker so it’s piping hot and ignited as soon as I put it on the fire. What kind of smoker are you using anyway?


Well said. I Concur !!
[Linked Image]

Me too, I will try it this weekend !! Thanks Thisbeer for taking your time to write this up!! I'll report on my "experience"


SPACE FOR RENT


Re: Briskets [Re: Buzzsaw] #7854063 05/28/20 11:09 PM
Joined: Jul 2006
Posts: 110,525
dogcatcher Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
Joined: Jul 2006
Posts: 110,525
Me too.


Combat Infantryman, the ultimate hunter where the prey shoots back.
_____________"Illegitimus non carborundum est"_______________

[Linked Image]
Re: Briskets [Re: Buzzsaw] #7854204 05/29/20 01:16 AM
Joined: Jul 2018
Posts: 829
T
Thisisbeer Offline
Tracker
Offline
Tracker
T
Joined: Jul 2018
Posts: 829
Thanks. Can’t wait to hear how it turns out. Couple more tips. Your far more likely to undercook you’re first one than overcook it, so don’t worry about how many hours. It’s done when it’s done. A 15 pound brisket has taken me 8 hours and it’s also taken me 18 hours. Go by the probe tenderness. If you want to get half serious about cooking brisket I suggest you also right down what you do every time you mess with the brisket. Take a picture of the brisket before you season it and then see what spots kind of overcooked when it’s done. Then you will really understand what to trim off a brisket. I trim a ton off of mine.

Re: Briskets [Re: Thisisbeer] #7854304 05/29/20 02:20 AM
Joined: Jun 2011
Posts: 28,332
B
Buzzsaw Offline OP
THF Celebrity
OP Offline
THF Celebrity
B
Joined: Jun 2011
Posts: 28,332
Originally Posted by Thisisbeer
Thanks. Can’t wait to hear how it turns out. Couple more tips. Your far more likely to undercook you’re first one than overcook it, so don’t worry about how many hours. It’s done when it’s done. A 15 pound brisket has taken me 8 hours and it’s also taken me 18 hours. Go by the probe tenderness. If you want to get half serious about cooking brisket I suggest you also right down what you do every time you mess with the brisket. Take a picture of the brisket before you season it and then see what spots kind of overcooked when it’s done. Then you will really understand what to trim off a brisket. I trim a ton off of mine.

up


SPACE FOR RENT


Re: Briskets [Re: Buzzsaw] #7855296 05/30/20 02:40 AM
Joined: Jun 2011
Posts: 28,332
B
Buzzsaw Offline OP
THF Celebrity
OP Offline
THF Celebrity
B
Joined: Jun 2011
Posts: 28,332
First experiment. Just a starter. give me directions

How hot, how long ? Its small clap

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Last edited by Buzzsaw; 05/30/20 02:41 AM.

SPACE FOR RENT


Re: Briskets [Re: Buzzsaw] #7855321 05/30/20 03:04 AM
Joined: Jul 2013
Posts: 5,558
W
Wilhunt Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
W
Joined: Jul 2013
Posts: 5,558
Some say as a rule of thumb to cook at 225 degrees, 1 hour per pound.

Re: Briskets [Re: Wilhunt] #7855408 05/30/20 05:21 AM
Joined: Nov 2011
Posts: 7,511
U
unclebubba Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
U
Joined: Nov 2011
Posts: 7,511
Originally Posted by Wilhunt
Some say as a rule of thumb to cook at 225 degrees, 1 hour per pound.

That's a fairly good rule of thumb. Buzz, what equipment are you using? Smoker? Kettle? Oven?


http://www.boatloan.com/agents/michael-hunt

Originally Posted by SnakeWrangler
Originally Posted by TurkeyHunter
And make Kamila president

She’d just end up blowing it......
Re: Briskets [Re: Buzzsaw] #7855442 05/30/20 11:21 AM
Joined: May 2005
Posts: 2,065
H
Huntmaster Online Content
Veteran Tracker
Online Content
Veteran Tracker
H
Joined: May 2005
Posts: 2,065
Your kinda handicapped by that cut of meat as most of the fat has already been trimmed. Most of us get a packer brisket and trim it exactly like we like. 1/4 on top, trim tough grisly meat on sides, trim out part of fat V, etc. The fat drips throughout the meat during the cook.

Re: Briskets [Re: Buzzsaw] #7855471 05/30/20 12:15 PM
Joined: Oct 2008
Posts: 13,575
6
68rustbucket Offline
THF Celebrity
Offline
THF Celebrity
6
Joined: Oct 2008
Posts: 13,575
Hope the fat cap is on the bottom.


I'll pray for your goat.
Re: Briskets [Re: Buzzsaw] #7855475 05/30/20 12:20 PM
Joined: Aug 2009
Posts: 4,179
D
decook Online Content
Extreme Tracker
Online Content
Extreme Tracker
D
Joined: Aug 2009
Posts: 4,179
Buzz - it's 100% guaranteed. What could possibly go wrong? ¯\_(ツ)_/¯


Press [Linked Image] for an AMERICAN.
Re: Briskets [Re: Buzzsaw] #7855589 05/30/20 02:40 PM
Joined: Jun 2011
Posts: 28,332
B
Buzzsaw Offline OP
THF Celebrity
OP Offline
THF Celebrity
B
Joined: Jun 2011
Posts: 28,332
Ha Ha, no chit. I could end up with one giant burnt end !!!!!!

I'm cooking on my kettle

I would try a packer brisket but they have too much "grease" drip for a kettle.

My "pink" butcher paper hasn't made it from Amazon yet, so I'll wrap in foil at 160* back on till 190, then wrap in towel put in empty cooler till time to eat.

I'll take pictures along the way, lucky its hot out today , makes it easier to reach and control temps with kettle vents.

I'll take pictures along the way, I'm trying Meat Churches rubs. He doesn't suggest binder like mustard or olive oil , just rub and rest till juice comes to the top of meat. confused2


SPACE FOR RENT


Re: Briskets [Re: Buzzsaw] #7855602 05/30/20 02:54 PM
Joined: Jul 2018
Posts: 829
T
Thisisbeer Offline
Tracker
Offline
Tracker
T
Joined: Jul 2018
Posts: 829
Don’t stick to temps. That point may still be tough at 190. I’ve had to take them as far as 210 in the past. Stick your temp probe and make sure it goes in like warm butter. Then it’s ready. I usually end up wrapping closer to 180. If you want a good bark wait until the barks is there before you wrap. If you want to speed it up wrap around 160. Good luck man. Can’t wait to follow the pics.

Re: Briskets [Re: Buzzsaw] #7855609 05/30/20 03:01 PM
Joined: Jul 2018
Posts: 829
T
Thisisbeer Offline
Tracker
Offline
Tracker
T
Joined: Jul 2018
Posts: 829
Being that small I would cook around 225. And cook until it’s probe tender. You need to give the fat time to render. Best thing would probably be find a burnt ends recipe you want to try.

Last edited by Thisisbeer; 05/30/20 03:02 PM.
Re: Briskets [Re: Buzzsaw] #7855643 05/30/20 03:40 PM
Joined: Aug 2016
Posts: 7,490
H
Herbie Hancock Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
H
Joined: Aug 2016
Posts: 7,490
Yeah be careful on your temp with such a lean cut of meat, I'd keep that temp low. I still don't understand why grocers do this type of crap to briskets. I mean is there really a demand for broken down briskets like this that I am not aware of?


It takes beer to make thirst worthwhile - J. Fred Schmidt
Re: Briskets [Re: Herbie Hancock] #7855694 05/30/20 04:42 PM
Joined: Jul 2018
Posts: 829
T
Thisisbeer Offline
Tracker
Offline
Tracker
T
Joined: Jul 2018
Posts: 829
Originally Posted by Herbie Hancock
Yeah be careful on your temp with such a lean cut of meat, I'd keep that temp low. I still don't understand why grocers do this type of crap to briskets. I mean is there really a demand for broken down briskets like this that I am not aware of?


Only thing I can think of is people want flats for corned beef and pastrami. I think some Asian dishes to.

Re: Briskets [Re: Buzzsaw] #7855721 05/30/20 05:28 PM
Joined: Jun 2011
Posts: 28,332
B
Buzzsaw Offline OP
THF Celebrity
OP Offline
THF Celebrity
B
Joined: Jun 2011
Posts: 28,332
Getting it started, stay tuned, mu photo uploader is acting up

[Linked Image]


SPACE FOR RENT


Re: Briskets [Re: Buzzsaw] #7855723 05/30/20 05:31 PM
Joined: Oct 2008
Posts: 13,575
6
68rustbucket Offline
THF Celebrity
Offline
THF Celebrity
6
Joined: Oct 2008
Posts: 13,575
You can put an aluminum pan under brisket to catch the drippings. And pile the charcoal to the sides of the pan, producing offset heat.


I'll pray for your goat.
Re: Briskets [Re: Buzzsaw] #7855732 05/30/20 05:43 PM
Joined: Jun 2011
Posts: 28,332
B
Buzzsaw Offline OP
THF Celebrity
OP Offline
THF Celebrity
B
Joined: Jun 2011
Posts: 28,332
kettles workin

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]


SPACE FOR RENT


Re: Briskets [Re: Buzzsaw] #7855735 05/30/20 05:46 PM
Joined: Jul 2018
Posts: 829
T
Thisisbeer Offline
Tracker
Offline
Tracker
T
Joined: Jul 2018
Posts: 829
Looks good!

Can’t wait to see the finished product.

Re: Briskets [Re: Buzzsaw] #7855781 05/30/20 06:56 PM
Joined: Jun 2011
Posts: 28,332
B
Buzzsaw Offline OP
THF Celebrity
OP Offline
THF Celebrity
B
Joined: Jun 2011
Posts: 28,332
it seems to like holding 300* rather than 275*. Im going to let it cook at 300* as long as it holds 4hrs (hopefully) If it starts to drop, I may have to add some more briquets. I'll probe it then.

[Linked Image]

Last edited by Buzzsaw; 05/30/20 06:58 PM.

SPACE FOR RENT


Re: Briskets [Re: Buzzsaw] #7855795 05/30/20 07:12 PM
Joined: Oct 2008
Posts: 13,575
6
68rustbucket Offline
THF Celebrity
Offline
THF Celebrity
6
Joined: Oct 2008
Posts: 13,575
That looks like 275° to me.


I'll pray for your goat.
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 7.7.3