G
GusWayne Offline OP
THF Celebrity
OP Offline
THF Celebrity
G
$300 for a brand new mini 14 w Leupold 6X and Harris bipod

Cabelas,they wouldn’t budge...I walked

I even asked are you serious, there’s used ones on the rack for $600 w S scopes on em

popcorn

Re: It’s slow, worst gunstore trade deals [Re: GusWayne] #7851078 05/26/20 12:10 AM
N
ntxtrapper Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
N
A gun store in Benbrook that is closed now, imagine that. I brought in a super clean Winchester 94AE 44 Mag to trade on a gun they had in stock. He opens up the Bluebook of Gun Values and then offers me $225 trade credit.

Re: It’s slow, worst gunstore trade deals [Re: GusWayne] #7851124 05/26/20 12:45 AM
T
Tactical Cowboy Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
T
So.... people expect to get new value for traded firearms?

The dealer is gonna take your gun and sit on it until a buyer comes along, and he wants to make money.

Same thing with cars or whatever. If you want convenience, trade. If you want what your gun is worth, make a private sale.

The secret to a long life is to try not to shorten it.
Re: It’s slow, worst gunstore trade deals [Re: Tactical Cowboy] #7851130 05/26/20 12:51 AM
N
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
N
Originally Posted by Tactical Cowboy

The dealer is gonna take your gun and sit on it until a buyer comes along, and he wants to make money.

Same thing with cars or whatever. If you want convenience, trade. If you want what your gun is worth, make a private sale.

Who said anything about wanting new value?

Re: It’s slow, worst gunstore trade deals [Re: ntxtrapper] #7851233 05/26/20 02:33 AM
T
Tactical Cowboy Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
T
Originally Posted by ntxtrapper

Who said anything about wanting new value?

I just assumed people bitching about trade values dealers/shops offer are the same ones that want $800 on here for a used DPMS Oracle confused2

Shop has to make money. They aren’t going to offer what the gun is worth and then risk sitting on it for two years.

Re: It’s slow, worst gunstore trade deals [Re: GusWayne] #7851261 05/26/20 03:10 AM
N
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
N
I ran a gun shop for 5 years and was quite successful at it. I paid a fair price for used guns and still made a profit. My post was about a gun shop that offered dirt prices for used guns and guess what, It's closed now.

Re: It’s slow, worst gunstore trade deals [Re: ntxtrapper] #7851270 05/26/20 03:17 AM
T
Tactical Cowboy Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
T
I ran a gun shop for 5 years and was quite successful at it. I paid a fair price for used guns and still made a profit. My post was about a gun shop that offered dirt prices for used guns and guess what, It's closed now.

Was this shop selling anything? Were their used guns outlandishly priced?

As for the shop you ran, what did you consider “fair” when you took a gun in on trade? 60%, 75%, 100% of its market value? (Not trying to be a dick—genuine question)

I won’t try to trade a gun at shops that I deal with a LOT. I know they aren’t going to offer me what I figure the gun is worth, so I don’t even waste my time.

Re: It’s slow, worst gunstore trade deals [Re: GusWayne] #7851278 05/26/20 03:25 AM
J
jhenderson Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
J
Gander outdoors seems to pay the best. I’ve made money on the last two I sold them. Had a store in Tyler I bought a gun from and ended up not liking. Asked about trading it in, $275 for a sig p365. It was about as new as it could be. Sold it to a customer in the parking lot went in and bought something else.

Re: It’s slow, worst gunstore trade deals [Re: Tactical Cowboy] #7851282 05/26/20 03:28 AM
H
Huntmaster Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
H
The only thing with trading with a shop is; the gun becomes their liability. Would hate to sell a gun to a Lee Harvey Oswald.

Re: It’s slow, worst gunstore trade deals [Re: Huntmaster] #7851291 05/26/20 03:40 AM
T
Tactical Cowboy Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
T
Originally Posted by Huntmaster
The only thing with trading with a shop is; the gun becomes their liability. Would hate to sell a gun to a Lee Harvey Oswald.

No, it’s the liability of the owner.

There is nothing from a state or national level that says the gun is your liability after you sell it. It only becomes your problem if you KNOWINGLY sell a firearm to a person that can’t legally own one.

Re: It’s slow, worst gunstore trade deals [Re: Tactical Cowboy] #7851292 05/26/20 03:43 AM
N
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
N

As for the shop you ran, what did you consider “fair” when you took a gun in on trade? 60%, 75%, 100% of its market value? (Not trying to be a dick—genuine question)

I won’t try to trade a gun at shops that I deal with a LOT. I know they aren’t going to offer me what I figure the gun is worth, so I don’t even waste my time.

The one that closed was actually very nice but only lasted about 3 years. They went with the theme of pay very little and sell for a bit more than the brick and mortar market price. Gun shops who are in the long haul, understand that making 40-50 bucks on a 500 dollar gun, is to get people in the door. The shops who depend on gun profits to survive have to sell an unbelievable amount to pay the bills. The profit margin increases with the small stuff. We sold about 400-500K in bows and guns a year and averaged a 8-10% markup on those items. Archery accessories, gun accessories and ammo were 30-50% and that was where the profit is made.

Re: It’s slow, worst gunstore trade deals [Re: ntxtrapper] #7851295 05/26/20 03:47 AM
T
Tactical Cowboy Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
T

The one that closed was actually very nice but only lasted about 3 years. They went with the theme of pay very little and sell for a bit more than the brick and mortar market price. Gun shops who are in the long haul, understand that making 40-50 bucks on a 500 dollar gun, is to get people in the door. The shops who depend on gun profits to survive have to sell an unbelievable amount to pay the bills. The profit margin increases with the small stuff. We sold about 400-500K in bows and guns a year and averaged a 8-10% markup on those items. Archery accessories, gun accessories and ammo were 30-50% and that was where the profit is made.

So let’s say a guy brings in a clean, blued 7.5” Ruger SBH 44 mag— something that would sell for $500-550 pretty easily. What trade value would one expect to see off that?

Ballpark figures, of course.

Re: It’s slow, worst gunstore trade deals [Re: Tactical Cowboy] #7851355 05/26/20 10:49 AM
The Dude Abides Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter

So let’s say a guy brings in a clean, blued 7.5” Ruger SBH 44 mag— something that would sell for $500-550 pretty easily. What trade value would one expect to see off that?

Ballpark figures, of course.

$375 at best

Originally Posted by Superduty
I am still looking for the perfect apron, one with reinforced knee areas would be perfect.

Re: It’s slow, worst gunstore trade deals [Re: GusWayne] #7851493 05/26/20 01:13 PM
Q
QuitShootinYoungBucks Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
Q
Not quite the topic but I found a stainless 700 .270 with a stainless Leupold 3-9 on top of it, they wanted $550 but I couldn't get the clerks attention and didn't have time to wait 30 minutes while they uncovered. Went back the next day and it was long gone.

[Linked Image]

https://web.archive.org/web/20170223065011/http:/www.rrdvegas.com/silencer-cleaning.html
Re: It’s slow, worst gunstore trade deals [Re: GusWayne] #7851522 05/26/20 01:47 PM
U
unclebubba Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
U
The gun store has to make money. I'll never begrudge a dealer who won't offer me what I think it is worth. A reputable shop would have the gunsmith inspect and clean it and they have to leave enough room for the possibility that they need to fix something. (even if you say it is perfect) They have to pay rent, utilities, and employee paychecks. And as was stated earlier, they might sit on it a while. If they already had used ones on the rack, maybe that gun does not sell very well for them for whatever reason. They need to keep that in mind too.

Re: It’s slow, worst gunstore trade deals [Re: GusWayne] #7851593 05/26/20 02:43 PM
Grizz Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
I had a Remington Varmint Synthetic .308 (short action Sendero) many years ago and got the itch to sell it and get something different. This was the one with the bull barrel and HS Precision stock. I took it to a gun show in Fort Worth and a dealer at one of the tables expressed some interest in it (yeah, I knew better but obliged him anyway). After looking it over he offered me something like $125 trade value for it. I had gotten several lowball offers, but that one was the worst. I told him no thank you in the most polite way I could and he continued to hold my gun trying to talk me into a trade. After the second time of telling him no and telling him to give my rifle back, I finally asked him if I was going to have to get a FWPD officer who was right down the aisle to get it back from him (my pre LE days). He gave it back to me and in a much less polite fashion told me he was rescinding his offer. roflmao I walked away from the table laughing as he continued talking smack about people who want a fortune for their crap.

I look at gun trades the same way as vehicle trades. I generally don't trade vehicles in because I know I'll get quite a bit more selling them outright. There have been a couple that I traded in just for the speed and convenience of trading vs. selling myself, but I knew going in I was going to lose some money in the deal and accepted it. If the convenience outweighs the loss for that particular transaction, I may do it. Same with guns. I have a friend who owns a pawn shop and I've bought multiple guns from him. I've never considered selling or trading a gun to him because I know he can't give me anywhere near what I can get myself and I wouldn't expect him to.
That being said, I do think it's a bit excessive when a dealer offers a person $100 for a gun he knows he will sell for $500-$600 or more.

[Linked Image] [Linked Image]
Re: It’s slow, worst gunstore trade deals [Re: GusWayne] #7852469 05/27/20 12:55 PM
R
Roughneck913 Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
R
Having worked for a number of shops, I would say the industry average is in the "65% of what we'll sell it for" neighborhood. The store I work for does 75% for trade or 65% for cash. That being said, the number of people who think that they will get 80+% of what they paid for it new is REALLY high. Had a dude bring in a Springfield Saint Victor a couple of weeks ago insisting he would take no less than $800 for it. Could he get that privately? Maybe. But if we paid him that there is exactly zero money in it for us to make.

Re: It’s slow, worst gunstore trade deals [Re: GusWayne] #7853613 05/28/20 02:37 PM
M
Mr. Jeem Offline
Tracker
Tracker
M
My experience is they offer you 25-50% of the gun's resale value. Only traded in once, had a few offers but always sold them privately for more. Yes, it takes time but patience pays off.

Re: It’s slow, worst gunstore trade deals [Re: GusWayne] #7853657 05/28/20 03:27 PM
B
Buzzsaw Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
B
Most Mom and Pop Gun Stores are all barely hanging on. They dont want your guns unless they can make a ton of profit.

Anyone who needs to sell a gun, it needs to an individual sale while its still legal.

AND DONT think your gun is worth what you paid for it unless its highly collectible re; Series 70 Colt, Python, all I can think of.

Just look here on the THF Classified 80% of the guns offered for sale here are worth about 50% of new. There are SO MANY new models of the same thing coming out many buyers will go with the "New Model" Gen 10 for $600 than a Gen 2 for $400. There are very few high quality guns sold here, but the members are educated gun folks and know what they are looking at. So you wont make any money here.

I sell a TON of guns on here. I know what I got, you know what I got. Even my guns are like new, very low round count, I know I will not get back what I paid. This is sellers choice. I've seen guns posted on here where the buyers think they have a very desirable gun but only to them. These sellers refuse to lower their price to find the market. Thus 1000 "To The Tops"

SPACE FOR RENT

Re: It’s slow, worst gunstore trade deals [Re: GusWayne] #7853663 05/28/20 03:34 PM
T
TDK Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
T
Cabelas in ft worth has honors for best and worst. I had a French SxS shotgun which I finished the stock on. I had maybe $500 in it, they offered me $1300. They had it for about a month.

The next time I took a WC Scott SxS hammergun to them, they offered $350. No thanks.

A.M. Little Bespoke Gunmakers LLC
Re: It’s slow, worst gunstore trade deals [Re: Tactical Cowboy] #7853686 05/28/20 04:09 PM
H
Huntmaster Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
H
Well your living in a dream world; a gun used to commit a bad act is going to bring a lawyer who is going to “knowingly “ sue you and your mama for everything you got. A lawsuit does not have to be based on laws.

Re: It’s slow, worst gunstore trade deals [Re: Mr. Jeem] #7853694 05/28/20 04:22 PM
T
Texas Dan Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
T
Originally Posted by Mr. Jeem
My experience is they offer you 25-50% of the gun's resale value. Only traded in once, had a few offers but always sold them privately for more. Yes, it takes time but patience pays off.

That's something you can easily recognize when watching Pawn Stars. The store typically starts at 25% of what they feel they can sell the item and stops at 50%. In fact, you can easily tell when Rick really wants something when he pays more than 50% of its resale value. Of course this also points to why an offer made to the store for 50% of the marked price still leaves them 25% profit.

Last edited by Texas Dan; 05/28/20 04:25 PM.

"Some people will never like you because your spirit irritates their demons."
Re: It’s slow, worst gunstore trade deals [Re: Huntmaster] #7853719 05/28/20 04:46 PM
T
TFF Caribou Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
T
Well your living in a dream world; a gun used to commit a bad act is going to bring a lawyer who is going to “knowingly “ sue you and your mama for everything you got. A lawsuit does not have to be based on laws.

Bull. Find me a single case where somebody LEGALLY sold a firearm, and was sued because the person who bought it legally, used it in a crime, and the original seller was sued. I’ll wait...

Last edited by Tff caribou; 05/28/20 05:13 PM.

The very atmosphere of firearms anywhere and everywhere restrains evil interference. -George Washington
Re: It’s slow, worst gunstore trade deals [Re: TFF Caribou] #7853727 05/28/20 04:54 PM
T
Tactical Cowboy Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
T
Originally Posted by Tff caribou

Bull. Find me a single case where somebody LEGALLY sold a firearm, and was sued because the person who bought it legally used it in a crime, and the original seller was sued. I’ll wait...

I’ll start the coffee

Re: It’s slow, worst gunstore trade deals [Re: Tactical Cowboy] #7853758 05/28/20 05:23 PM
H
Huntmaster Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
H
Let’s start with bushmaster and for lighter fluid throw in Remington arms. Pass the coffee please.

Page 1 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide