Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Semi-live from gulf shores surf fishing #7850821 05/25/20 08:10 PM
T
Texas buckeye Offline OP
THF Celebrity
OP Offline
THF Celebrity
T
Have 1.5 days of fishing in, today the surf is really rough so I am not sure I am going to head out unless it calms some.

All surf fishing, no bay or offshore, not sure if I will head to the bay as I don’t really have easy access and have no boat for off shore. Fished with live shrimp yesterday, used frozen shrimp the day before when we arrived.

Catch so far:
Lots of lady fish
whiting
Spanish mackerel

Used one lady and the others for bait on the big pole which we (my son volunteered since he was first up for the fight) kayaked out beyond the second sand bar. Within 20 minutes had a big bite which almost took the pole into the ocean (oops, I had the drag set too high). Son got on it and felt something initially but it quickly went away. When we got the rig to shore two of the fish were gone with only the mackerel remaining. Some good bite marks on the hook. My son wanted to drop it again, so he went out on the yak again and dropped around the same spot. Hooked up within 10 minutes this time.

Smallish (4.5-5’) spinner shark was landed, pics, released safely. Overall a good exciting day.

That made up for losing two good sized sting rays we both fought for a while. Had both at the first set of waves and they just wouldn’t relent. Mine ended up ripped the hook out it’s mouth, as I just lost it but my tackle was all intact. My sons was lost at the terminal knot (I think) as all his was gone. He was pissed at me for trying to guide the ray face first into the shallows and accused me of pulling on the line. Either way, he was all happy camper when he landed the shark.

Will keep this running as the week progresses.

Last edited by Texas buckeye; 05/25/20 08:11 PM.
Re: Semi-live from gulf shores surf fishing [Re: Texas buckeye] #7850847 05/25/20 08:43 PM
bill oxner Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
I learned too late that the smacks are delicious. Never tried a skip jack. Fun to catch.

Quail hunting is like walking into, and out of a beautiful painting all day long. Gene Hill

[Linked Image]

Re: Semi-live from gulf shores surf fishing [Re: Texas buckeye] #7850850 05/25/20 08:45 PM
N
NORML as can be Online Content
^^Cut the Cord^^
Online Content
^^Cut the Cord^^
N
worthless

(R-TX) .-- " TCNN CURL CRLB VFF VRNO AYR SNDL CGC TLRY MSOS "

_=====___=________==-

Re: Semi-live from gulf shores surf fishing [Re: Texas buckeye] #7850871 05/25/20 09:09 PM
T
Texas buckeye Offline OP
THF Celebrity
OP Offline
THF Celebrity
T
Here’s the shark. The rest were just bait for this guy

Attached Files 0B78A9FC-7E19-4485-8070-E029567B7626.jpeg
Re: Semi-live from gulf shores surf fishing [Re: Texas buckeye] #7850873 05/25/20 09:10 PM
bill oxner Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
I've eaten shark.

Quail hunting is like walking into, and out of a beautiful painting all day long. Gene Hill

[Linked Image]

Re: Semi-live from gulf shores surf fishing [Re: Texas buckeye] #7850875 05/25/20 09:12 PM
texasag93 Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
Originally Posted by Texas buckeye

Hey, doc....

Are you sure that is not a nurse shark you are riding?

Re: Semi-live from gulf shores surf fishing [Re: Texas buckeye] #7850876 05/25/20 09:12 PM
S
Stub Online Happy
THF Celebrity
Online Happy
THF Celebrity
S

Did it bite your sons face confused2

Y'all have fun up

texas flag

Re: Semi-live from gulf shores surf fishing [Re: texasag93] #7850885 05/25/20 09:25 PM
T
Texas buckeye Offline OP
THF Celebrity
OP Offline
THF Celebrity
T
Originally Posted by texasag93

Hey, doc....

In case anyone wants to know, my wife is a nurse, and can be a shark sometimes too wife

No really tho, she is a nurse...take that for what it’s worth.

Re: Semi-live from gulf shores surf fishing [Re: Stub] #7850889 05/25/20 09:28 PM
T
TARUGS Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
T
Originally Posted by Stub

Did it bite your sons face confused2

Y'all have fun up

roflmao

Re: Semi-live from gulf shores surf fishing [Re: TARUGS] #7850935 05/25/20 10:15 PM
F
freerange Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
F
Im gonna cut you some slack on posting fishing on a hunting forum since you are a hunter. Of course this is OT, so theres that....

At some point in life its time to quit chasing the pot of gold and just enjoy the rainbow. FR
Keep your gratitude higher than your expectations. RWH
Re: Semi-live from gulf shores surf fishing [Re: Texas buckeye] #7850938 05/25/20 10:21 PM
T
Texas buckeye Offline OP
THF Celebrity
OP Offline
THF Celebrity
T
FR, you don’t understand....I am a deer hunter, a pig hunter, soon to be an elk hunter, but also a Shark Hunter....

I fish for bait for sharks. They are fun to catch up

Re: Semi-live from gulf shores surf fishing [Re: Texas buckeye] #7850954 05/25/20 10:34 PM
Duck_Hunter Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Good times. Keep the updates coming!

Originally Posted by bill oxner
I just turned it on . I was looking bird dogs in the butt this morning.

[Linked Image]
Re: Semi-live from gulf shores surf fishing [Re: bill oxner] #7850969 05/25/20 10:48 PM
N
^^Cut the Cord^^
Online Content
^^Cut the Cord^^
N
I've eaten shark.

Did ya have a Beer with it? cheers

_=====___=________==-

Re: Semi-live from gulf shores surf fishing [Re: Texas buckeye] #7850983 05/25/20 10:55 PM
N
NDN98 Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
N
up

Re: Semi-live from gulf shores surf fishing [Re: NORML as can be] #7850986 05/25/20 10:55 PM
bill oxner Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Originally Posted by NORML as can be
I've eaten shark.

Did ya have a Beer with it? cheers

I like beer.

I once read a book called unbroken. It was supposed to be a true story. I had my doubts after they. Caught a shark and threw my of it back..

[Linked Image]

Re: Semi-live from gulf shores surf fishing [Re: Texas buckeye] #7850990 05/25/20 11:02 PM
bill oxner Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Here you go. I looked it up for you.

[Linked Image]

Re: Semi-live from gulf shores surf fishing [Re: Texas buckeye] #7851048 05/25/20 11:55 PM
texasag93 Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity

Hey, doc....

In case anyone wants to know, my wife is a nurse, and can be a shark sometimes too wife

Don't tell me, you met her in residency?

Re: Semi-live from gulf shores surf fishing [Re: Texas buckeye] #7851050 05/25/20 11:55 PM
N
^^Cut the Cord^^
Online Content
^^Cut the Cord^^
N
That movie is to new for me. I don't care for most anything they make anymore I can't say I've seen any movie all the way through in 10 years or more I'll pull the tape, turn it off or change the channel.

_=====___=________==-

Re: Semi-live from gulf shores surf fishing [Re: NORML as can be] #7851067 05/26/20 12:03 AM
bill oxner Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
That movie is to new for me. I don't care for most anything they make anymore I can't say I've seen any movie all the way through in 10 years or more I'll pull the tape, turn it off or change the channel.

He was a true war hero. He was captured by the the Japanese and put in prison. He was offered a hotel and and food if he would do a daily radio show similar to Tokyo Rose He refused and stayed in prison. Watch the trailer.

[Linked Image]

Re: Semi-live from gulf shores surf fishing [Re: Texas buckeye] #7851068 05/26/20 12:04 AM
Grizz Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
You may already know, but whiting is great eating. I spent years only throwing them back or using them for bait because I was told they were trash fish. I had someone tell me about 20 years ago they were good to eat so I kept some and tried it. They have been one of my target fish in the surf ever since. As long as they are big enough to fillet, they go in the freezer.

[Linked Image] [Linked Image]
Re: Semi-live from gulf shores surf fishing [Re: Grizz] #7851076 05/26/20 12:10 AM
bill oxner Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Originally Posted by Grizz
You may already know, but whiting is great eating. I spent years only throwing them back or using them for bait because I was told they were trash fish. I had someone tell me about 20 years ago they were good to eat so I kept some and tried it. They have been one of my target fish in the surf ever since. As long as they are big enough to fillet, they go in the freezer.

I looked it up for you. Don't catching any.

http://www.floridashorefishing.com/fish-profiles/whiting

[Linked Image]

Re: Semi-live from gulf shores surf fishing [Re: bill oxner] #7851083 05/26/20 12:17 AM
N
^^Cut the Cord^^
Online Content
^^Cut the Cord^^
N

He was a true war hero. He was captured by the the Japanese and put in prison. He was offered a hotel and and food if he would do a daily radio show similar to Tokyo Rose He refused and stayed in prison. Watch the trailer.

I did, I'm Proud for him the movies of today don't hold my attention.. I guess it has a lot to do with my dislike for so many in the movie biz now days I don't and wont watch it's my way of saying "Forget You"...

_=====___=________==-

Re: Semi-live from gulf shores surf fishing [Re: Texas buckeye] #7851108 05/26/20 12:33 AM
T
Texas buckeye Offline OP
THF Celebrity
OP Offline
THF Celebrity
T
Read the book, much better than the movie anyway. Unbroken, same name as the movie. Great book and fascinating story about a great man and a greater Man. The movie really passes by the more important parts of his life, and his life after the war which really saved his life.

Re: Semi-live from gulf shores surf fishing [Re: texasag93] #7851111 05/26/20 12:34 AM
T
Texas buckeye Offline OP
THF Celebrity
OP Offline
THF Celebrity
T

Hey, doc....

Don't tell me, you met her in residency?

No on the school bus when I was in 8th grade actually....didn’t start dating till I was a junior in HS but good friends all the way up to that point. In my residency program 4/5 were married and still married to this day....really unusual for most residency programs where some actually used to tout a divorce rate....

Re: Semi-live from gulf shores surf fishing [Re: Texas buckeye] #7851115 05/26/20 12:37 AM
bill oxner Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Read the book, much better than the movie anyway. Unbroken, same name as the movie. Great book and fascinating story about a great man and a greater Man. The movie really passes by the more important parts of his life, and his life after the war which really saved his life.

Yep.

"As the bullets raked overhead, Louie struggled to stay under the rafts. The current clutched at him, rotating his body horizontally and dragging him away. He kicked against it, but it was no use. He was being sucked way, and he knew that if he lost touch with the rafts, he wouldn’t be able to swim hard enough against the current to get back. As he was pulled loose, he saw the long cord that strayed off the end of one of the rafts. He grabbed it and tied it around his waist.
As he lay underwater, his legs tugged in front of him by the current, Louie looked down at his feet. His left sock was pulled up on his shin; his right had slipped halfway off. He watched it flap in the current. Then, in the murky blur beyond it, he saw the huge, gaping mouth of a shark emerge out of the darkness and rush straight at his legs.
Louie recoiled, pulling his legs toward his body. The current was too strong for him to get his legs beneath him, but he was able to swim them to the side, away from the shark’s mouth. The shark kept coming, directly at Louie’s head. Louie remembered the advice of the old man in Honolulu: Make a threatening expression, then stiff-arm the shark’s snout. As the shark lunged for his head, Louie bared his teeth, widened his eyes, and rammed his palm into the tip of the shark’s nose. The shark flinched, circled away, then swam back for a second pass. Louie waited until the shark was inches from him, then struck it in the nose again. Again, the shark peeled away.
Above, the bullets had stopped coming. As quickly as he could, Louie pulled himself along the cord until he reached the raft. He grabbed its wall and lifted himself clear of the shark.
Mac and Phil were lying together in the fetal position. They were absolutely still, and bullet holes dappled the raft around them. Louie shook Mac. Mac made a sound. Louie asked if he’d been hit. Mac said no. Louie spoke to Phil. Phil said he was okay.
The bomber circled back for another go. Phil and Mac played dead, and Louie tipped back into the ocean. As bullets knifed the water around him, the shark came at him, and again Louie bumped its snout and repelled it. Then a second shark charged at him. Louie hung there, gyrating in the water and flailing his arms and legs, as the sharks snapped at him and bullets came down. The moment the bomber sped out of firing range, he clambered onto the raft again. Phil and Mac were still unhit..."

[Linked Image]

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide