texashuntingforum.com logo
Main Menu
Advertisement
Affiliates
Advertisement
Newest Members
Loeung619, TexasPasha, Chompurs, TXJaeger, Big Alan
66663 Registered Users
Top Posters(All Time)
dogcatcher 101,087
bill oxner 67,801
stxranchman 55,633
SnakeWrangler 51,718
RKHarm24 44,585
rifleman 44,451
BMD 41,064
Big Orn 37,484
Facebook
Forum Statistics
Forums45
Topics453,545
Posts6,587,157
Members66,663
Most Online19,184
Feb 5th, 2020
Print Thread
Advice Upgrading Scope on Remington M783 .270 #7849802 05/24/20 11:02 PM
Joined: Aug 2012
Posts: 18
S
sethmac Offline OP
Light Foot
OP Offline
Light Foot
S
Joined: Aug 2012
Posts: 18
Hi Folks,

I typically hunt with a bow, but for my birthday my dad gave me a Remington M783 .270 (from Academy). It has a no-name scope mounted which is adequate. The eye relief is bad IMO.

I would like to upgrade the optics and have had my eye on a Vortex scope given the price point. We hunt in a very wooded area of East Texas (absolute longest shot probably is 200 yards and that is stretching it).

I want to use it for hunting out of a blind or tree stand for deer, as well as hunting out of stands and spot and stalking hogs (see majority of our hogs at night).

What advice do you have for me on scope selection? I will hunt our place 99% of the time but may venture to more open area sometimes.

I've been looking at:
[list]
[*]Vortex Diamondback 4x12x40
[*]Vortex Diamondback 3.5-10X50
[*]Vortex Hog Hunter 3x12x56

Last edited by sethmac; 05/25/20 12:03 AM.
Re: Advice Upgrading Scope on Remington M783 .270 [Re: sethmac] #7849890 05/25/20 12:10 AM
Joined: Dec 2008
Posts: 3,118
S
syncerus Online Content
Veteran Tracker
Online Content
Veteran Tracker
S
Joined: Dec 2008
Posts: 3,118
Are you using feeder lights, or are you trying to shoot hogs with natural light? I think a very dull and ordinary Leupold VX-1 3x9 is probably a better choice than the scopes you've selected, but to each is own.


NRA Patron & DSC Lifer
Re: Advice Upgrading Scope on Remington M783 .270 [Re: sethmac] #7849947 05/25/20 12:54 AM
Joined: Aug 2012
Posts: 18
S
sethmac Offline OP
Light Foot
OP Offline
Light Foot
S
Joined: Aug 2012
Posts: 18
Been using an elusive wildlife green light mounted on top of scope lately

Re: Advice Upgrading Scope on Remington M783 .270 [Re: sethmac] #7849948 05/25/20 12:54 AM
Joined: Aug 2012
Posts: 18
S
sethmac Offline OP
Light Foot
OP Offline
Light Foot
S
Joined: Aug 2012
Posts: 18
Open to all suggestions...

Re: Advice Upgrading Scope on Remington M783 .270 [Re: sethmac] #7850383 05/25/20 02:51 PM
Joined: Dec 2008
Posts: 3,118
S
syncerus Online Content
Veteran Tracker
Online Content
Veteran Tracker
S
Joined: Dec 2008
Posts: 3,118
As I'm sure that you know, everything is a trade off. The large objective scopes are, all things being equal, better for low light shooting than their smaller objective counterparts. The problem is that all things are not equal. Frequently the large objective scopes ruin the balance of your rifle, or, when your stock comb isn't high enough, force you to lift your cheek off the stock when shooting. Also, a small scope with better quality glass will frequently out perform a larger, cheaper scope, so objective size, in itself, isn't an indicator of performance. My suggestion is to look through as many scopes as you can, and then be sure that you like how the scope fits on your rifle. A good warranty doesn't hurt either.


NRA Patron & DSC Lifer
Re: Advice Upgrading Scope on Remington M783 .270 [Re: syncerus] #7850464 05/25/20 03:34 PM
Joined: Oct 2009
Posts: 7,550
W
wp75169 Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
W
Joined: Oct 2009
Posts: 7,550
Originally Posted by syncerus
Are you using feeder lights, or are you trying to shoot hogs with natural light? I think a very dull and ordinary Leupold VX-1 3x9 is probably a better choice than the scopes you've selected, but to each is own.


Originally Posted by syncerus
As I'm sure that you know, everything is a trade off. The large objective scopes are, all things being equal, better for low light shooting than their smaller objective counterparts. The problem is that all things are not equal. Frequently the large objective scopes ruin the balance of your rifle, or, when your stock comb isn't high enough, force you to lift your cheek off the stock when shooting. Also, a small scope with better quality glass will frequently out perform a larger, cheaper scope, so objective size, in itself, isn't an indicator of performance. My suggestion is to look through as many scopes as you can, and then be sure that you like how the scope fits on your rifle. A good warranty doesn't hurt either.



What they said. I’ve actually turned into a fan of fixed power scopes for East Texas woods hunting. The only problem with that is if it’s your primary hunting gun and you do eventually venture out to longer ranges the fixed 4x will be a limitation.

Re: Advice Upgrading Scope on Remington M783 .270 [Re: sethmac] #7850471 05/25/20 03:45 PM
Joined: Dec 2006
Posts: 16,095
cbump Offline
THF Celebrity
Offline
THF Celebrity
Joined: Dec 2006
Posts: 16,095
I’d get a 2-7x leupold and call it good.

Re: Advice Upgrading Scope on Remington M783 .270 [Re: sethmac] #7875546 06/20/20 12:13 AM
Joined: Nov 2011
Posts: 328
M
mike55070 Online Content
Bird Dog
Online Content
Bird Dog
M
Joined: Nov 2011
Posts: 328
Leupold freedom 3x9x40. $200. Great scope & leupold customer service to boot which you will probably never need

Re: Advice Upgrading Scope on Remington M783 .270 [Re: mike55070] #7875793 06/20/20 12:09 PM
Joined: Jan 2016
Posts: 5,930
S
snake oil Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
S
Joined: Jan 2016
Posts: 5,930
Originally Posted by mike55070
Leupold freedom 3x9x40. $200. Great scope & leupold customer service to boot which you will probably never need


"Hey, where the white women at?"
Re: Advice Upgrading Scope on Remington M783 .270 [Re: sethmac] #7878256 06/23/20 02:13 AM
Joined: Jan 2011
Posts: 2,327
B
booradley Offline
Veteran Tracker
Offline
Veteran Tracker
B
Joined: Jan 2011
Posts: 2,327
From the Viper down to the Crossfire II, Vortex scopes are lacking in low light clarity compared to other scope brands I own: Meopta, Burris, Bushnell, Leupold and Zeiss. At least to my eyes they are.


Don’t roll those bloodshot eyes at me.
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2019 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 7.7.3