Feb 12th, 2024
Print Thread
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Re: Elk rifle help [Re: angus1956] #7848324 05/23/20 02:19 AM
HWY_MAN Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Originally Posted by angus1956
Get a .338 and shoot a Nozler .225 Accubond and don't listen to anyone else, end of topic. All guides and outfitters like clients with large caliber guns. I've killed lots of elk in my life and with the combination they don't wander off.
Go big or stay home, with most guides or outfitters, you wing one and they can't find it your hunt is done.

Time for the dog pilešŸ˜

I like it! 8mm Rem Mag is another fine choice or really step it up and go with the 340 Weatherby.

Yes! A Weatherby does kill them deader.
Re: Elk rifle help [Re: BOBO the Clown] #7848337 05/23/20 02:30 AM
F
freerange Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
F
Originally Posted by BOBO the Clown
Originally Posted by procraft05
Thereā€™s a big difference in thinking you can, and can

I canā€™t at this moment take anything at 500.

Iā€™ll admit it, some wonā€™t

I couldnt consistently right now, with that said Iā€™d be first to admit itā€™s soley due to pure laziness and not practicing enough.

Bobo I bet you aren't lazy its just not a priority. Same with me. There are shooters and there are hunters and their priorities are different. That's what drives this never ending debate. Does anyone think a bowhunter is gonna practice a 500 yard rifle shot. No!!! He doesn't WANT to. ME neither. Ill spend my time looking for a lease with bigger bucks an spend time scouting for those bucks. IM good with 3006 at 250. I have ZERO issues with guys punching paper but its not for everyone.

At some point in life its time to quit chasing the pot of gold and just enjoy the rainbow. FR
Keep your gratitude higher than your expectations. RWH
Re: Elk rifle help [Re: Jgraider] #7848351 05/23/20 02:46 AM
BOBO the Clown Offline
kind of a big deal
kind of a big deal
Originally Posted by Jgraider
Always interesting to hash and re-hash the longer range hunting scenario, especially on this forum. People probably get tired of me bringing it up, but I've gotten to watch some of the best shooters on the planet (literally) shoot long distance in various winds up in the TX Panhandle. One of them is the most accomplished and decorated long range competition shooter in history, so these guys know what they're doing. In this realm, the easy part is the gun,optics, bullet combination. The much harder part is obviously doping the wind. NONE of these guys can dope wind correctly on the first shot every time. NONE. They practice a bunch, and I mean a whole bunch up there, and they still can't hit the target on the first shot every time.

I bring this up because when these scenarios are posted here, many make it seem like all you have to do is go buy a GAP precision rifle, throw a NF ATACR on it, grab some Bergers, get your dope, and everything is easy street thereafter. That's the fallacy in all of these debates. IF the premier sniper trainer in the world, his students, and the most accomplished long range competition shooter ever can't do it, nobody else can either, period. You can practice all you want and you still won't be able to make first round hits 100% of the time. When the wind isn't blowing, it's so easy a caveman can do it.

The best ā€œshooterā€ in the world was walking in 400- 500 yard shots?

You ever been to Canadian TX? If you haven't, well, the wind can blow 10-65 mph any given day. Yout get maybe a day a week if you're lucky when the wind is 10 or less.

Very familiar, my fifth generation ranch is 2.5 hours north west of there, in the epi center of the dust bowl.

400 yards with my 257 Wby (mild BC bullets), 20mph 90* wind, is roughly touch less the <2 MOA or 7.5in.

Donate to TX Youth hunting program.... better to donate then to waste it in taxes

https://secure.qgiv.com/for/gtgoh/mobile
Re: Elk rifle help [Re: freerange] #7848356 05/23/20 02:50 AM
J.G. Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
Originally Posted by freerange
Bobo I bet you aren't lazy its just not a priority. Same with me. There are shooters and there are hunters and their priorities are different. That's what drives this never ending debate.

And there are hunters that are also shooters.

Can't hunt all animals all year. Can practice with the tools used during each game's season all year though.

And I know plenty of bow hunters that practice 12 months a year, and shoot matches up to and during their seasons. They are quite dangerous, and quite successful.

[Linked Image]
800 Yard Steel Range
Precision Rifle Instruction
Memberships and Classes Available
Re: Elk rifle help [Re: aggiegolfer09] #7848357 05/23/20 02:52 AM
10 Gauge Online Content
Extreme Tracker
Online Content
Extreme Tracker
I would bet most of the best and highly experienced hunters, guys that go on those great adventures or have the best leases, don't make it to that point in life by spending their time and energy at the range every weekend. And that's not being lazy. You gotta have priorities.

Last edited by Bryan C. Heimann; 05/23/20 02:53 AM.

1 Thessalonians 4:11-14
Re: Elk rifle help [Re: BOBO the Clown] #7848358 05/23/20 02:53 AM
J
Jgraider Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
J
Always interesting to hash and re-hash the longer range hunting scenario, especially on this forum. People probably get tired of me bringing it up, but I've gotten to watch some of the best shooters on the planet (literally) shoot long distance in various winds up in the TX Panhandle. One of them is the most accomplished and decorated long range competition shooter in history, so these guys know what they're doing. In this realm, the easy part is the gun,optics, bullet combination. The much harder part is obviously doping the wind. NONE of these guys can dope wind correctly on the first shot every time. NONE. They practice a bunch, and I mean a whole bunch up there, and they still can't hit the target on the first shot every time.

I bring this up because when these scenarios are posted here, many make it seem like all you have to do is go buy a GAP precision rifle, throw a NF ATACR on it, grab some Bergers, get your dope, and everything is easy street thereafter. That's the fallacy in all of these debates. IF the premier sniper trainer in the world, his students, and the most accomplished long range competition shooter ever can't do it, nobody else can either, period. You can practice all you want and you still won't be able to make first round hits 100% of the time. When the wind isn't blowing, it's so easy a caveman can do it.

The best ā€œshooterā€ in the world was walking in 400- 500 yard shots?

You ever been to Canadian TX? If you haven't, well, the wind can blow 10-65 mph any given day. Yout get maybe a day a week if you're lucky when the wind is 10 or less.

Very familiar, my fifth generation ranch is 2.5 hours north west of there, in the epi center of the dust bowl.

400 yards with my 257 Wby (mild BC bullets), 20mph 90* wind, is roughly touch less the <2 MOA or 7.5in.

Good deal, I can see you're wanting to be argumentative tonight, but I'll just say that next time I go up there maybe you can meet Hodnett, his "students" and Tubb and show 'em how it's done. I'm sure they will appreciate it

Re: Elk rifle help [Re: 10 Gauge] #7848361 05/23/20 02:55 AM
J
Jgraider Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
J
Originally Posted by Bryan C. Heimann
I would bet most of the best and highly experienced hunters, guys that go on those great adventures or have the best leases, don't make it to that point in life by spending their time and energy at the range every weekend. And that's not being lazy. You gotta have priorities.

I have almost zero interest in range time when it gets hot in June-Aug. I'd much rather be doing something else.

Re: Elk rifle help [Re: 10 Gauge] #7848367 05/23/20 02:58 AM
cbump Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity

Or spend their time telling people on the internet how awesome they are. Lol

I can shoot 600. Well I can shoot 700. bang

Re: Elk rifle help [Re: freerange] #7848375 05/23/20 03:09 AM
BOBO the Clown Offline
kind of a big deal
kind of a big deal
Originally Posted by freerange
Originally Posted by procraft05
Thereā€™s a big difference in thinking you can, and can

I canā€™t at this moment take anything at 500.

Iā€™ll admit it, some wonā€™t

I couldnt consistently right now, with that said Iā€™d be first to admit itā€™s soley due to pure laziness and not practicing enough.

Bobo I bet you aren't lazy its just not a priority. Same with me. There are shooters and there are hunters and their priorities are different. That's what drives this never ending debate. Does anyone think a bowhunter is gonna practice a 500 yard rifle shot. No!!! He doesn't WANT to. ME neither. Ill spend my time looking for a lease with bigger bucks an spend time scouting for those bucks. IM good with 3006 at 250. I have ZERO issues with guys punching paper but its not for everyone.

I donā€™t mean lazy in a derogatory way, Iā€™m just being honest with my self itā€™s lazy/lessor priority, with practice I know I can, done it before, like previously running 8 min mile and not being able to currently run a 12 min mile, it matters to no one but like you said it is a product of different priorities

Donate to TX Youth hunting program.... better to donate then to waste it in taxes

Re: Elk rifle help [Re: Jgraider] #7848382 05/23/20 03:17 AM
BOBO the Clown Offline
kind of a big deal
kind of a big deal

Good deal, I can see you're wanting to be argumentative tonight, but I'll just say that next time I go up there maybe you can meet Hodnett, his "students" and Tubb and show 'em how it's done. I'm sure they will appreciate it

No, just honesty donā€™t understand it, thatā€™s all.

Re: Elk rifle help [Re: aggiegolfer09] #7848405 05/23/20 04:01 AM
10 Gauge Online Content
Extreme Tracker
Online Content
Extreme Tracker
I wonder what any of this bullcrap has to do with aggiegolfer's questions. If ya'll forgot, he's got a 7-08 with 18" barrel he wants to use with a suppressor. Can he use it, what are his limitations, should he get a bigger gun? I would kind of like to know myself.

Re: Elk rifle help [Re: 10 Gauge] #7848411 05/23/20 04:09 AM
T
txtrophy85 Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
T
I wonder what any of this bullcrap has to do with aggiegolfer's questions. If ya'll forgot, he's got a 7-08 with 18" barrel he wants to use with a suppressor. Can he use it, what are his limitations, should he get a bigger gun? I would kind of like to know myself.

Yes he can use it. Keep the ranges reasonable ( around and under 300 yards ) and use a good bullet and he will be able to kill an elk.

Most standard deer calibers will do double duty. .308, .270, .280, etc all will work fine.

For it is not the quarry that we truly seek, but the adventure.
Re: Elk rifle help [Re: 10 Gauge] #7848412 05/23/20 04:11 AM
BOBO the Clown Offline
kind of a big deal
kind of a big deal

1500ā€™ish lbs + of KE at impact is kind of the general thought process, it allows for shoulder with bonded bullets.

Re: Elk rifle help [Re: aggiegolfer09] #7848417 05/23/20 04:27 AM
E
Erny Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
E
Any of the three you mentioned will work, but I am a fan of the 300 Win Mag or WSM. I have a tikka 300 WSM and it is killing machine.

Re: Elk rifle help [Re: 10 Gauge] #7848462 05/23/20 10:20 AM
J.G. Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
I wonder what any of this bullcrap has to do with aggiegolfer's questions. It doesn't, TT85 gave unsolicited advice about shot distanceIf ya'll forgot, he's got a 7-08 with 18" barrel he wants to use with a suppressor. Can he use it,yes what are his limitations, shorter range than the 400-500 yards he mentionedshould he get a bigger gun?for what he's wanting to do, yes I would kind of like to know myself.Did you skip every page and start at the back? It was answered on the first page.

[Linked Image]
800 Yard Steel Range
Re: Elk rifle help [Re: aggiegolfer09] #7848469 05/23/20 10:42 AM
Creekrunner Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Someone's a Grumpy Gus this morning.

...and have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over every living thing that moveth upon the earth. Gen. 1:28
Re: Elk rifle help [Re: J.G.] #7848549 05/23/20 01:37 PM
10 Gauge Online Content
Extreme Tracker
Online Content
Extreme Tracker
Originally Posted by FiremanJG
I wonder what any of this bullcrap has to do with aggiegolfer's questions. It doesn't, TT85 gave unsolicited advice about shot distanceIf ya'll forgot, he's got a 7-08 with 18" barrel he wants to use with a suppressor. Can he use it,yes what are his limitations, shorter range than the 400-500 yards he mentionedshould he get a bigger gun?for what he's wanting to do, yes I would kind of like to know myself.Did you skip every page and start at the back? It was answered on the first page.

Fyi you are the one that came into this thread and started insulting people. Beginning with txtrophy85. You never pass on the chance to take a shot at somebody. Pun intended.

It is sort of a pattern i have noticed.

And it was definitely solicited advise

Last edited by Bryan C. Heimann; 05/23/20 01:39 PM.

Re: Elk rifle help [Re: aggiegolfer09] #7848556 05/23/20 01:45 PM
10 Gauge Online Content
Extreme Tracker
Online Content
Extreme Tracker
Be a good start if you stop trying to make every thread about long range marksmanship and then trying to sell your range, insulting and attempting to discredit any reasonable opinion that is contrary to your agenda, JG.

Re: Elk rifle help [Re: 10 Gauge] #7848564 05/23/20 01:53 PM
HWY_MAN Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Be a good start if you stop trying to make every thread about long range marksmanship and then trying to sell your range, insulting and attempting to discredit any reasonable opinion that is contrary to your agenda, JG.

You just asked for the impossible, he can't help himself. Maybe there's a 12 step program out there?

He's going to be so pissed off when he finds out GOD shoot's Weatherby's.

Last edited by HWY_MAN; 05/23/20 01:57 PM.

Yes! A Weatherby does kill them deader.
Re: Elk rifle help [Re: 10 Gauge] #7848574 05/23/20 02:10 PM
J
JJH Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
J

Hear, Hear.

It's a hobby. Why is in necessary to denigrate others who spend their free time differently than you? The shooting/hunting sports can be enjoyed many different ways. Some of us actually shoot bullets with BCs less that .500, and are "successful" in enjoying our hobbies. We should be supporting others who enjoy hunting/shooting, not insulting them.

Promote your business as you like, but insulting others doesn't seem to be a good way to attract customers.

Re: Elk rifle help [Re: 10 Gauge] #7848577 05/23/20 02:14 PM
W
wp75169 Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
W

In this case the original post was about a 4-500 yard Elk gun. When talking hunting I consider that long range marksmanship.

The rest of your statement Iā€™ll leave to yā€™all to argue.

Re: Elk rifle help [Re: aggiegolfer09] #7848583 05/23/20 02:19 PM
10 Gauge Online Content
Extreme Tracker
Online Content
Extreme Tracker
Originally Posted by aggiegolfer09
I plan on going on an elk hunt in the next few years. Currently my 2 biggest calibers are 7mm-08 and 6.5 CM. I am thinking about getting a new Tikka in 7mm, 300 WSM or 300 win. Would all those work pretty well or any I should avoid? I dont plan on taking a shot of more than 400 or 500 yards max.

Originally Posted by aggiegolfer09
I plan on shooting with a suppressor so that will help with the recoil some. I would like to take my 7-08 since itā€™s cut down to 18 inch barrel and light weight but worried it might be enough knock down power

For reference. You see what you want to see i guess.

Edit- i am done, its time for another social media fast. I cant take anymore. Long range marksmanship i agree should be part of the discussion, that doesn't make it the subject. I am sure that OP didnt stick around the thread for a good reason.

I will leave you with this- high pressure sales mostly only works on betas. Most hunters don't fancy themselves to be beta personality types.

If you keep trying to play the bully in business you're gonna dig yourself into a hole you can't get out of.

Last edited by Bryan C. Heimann; 05/23/20 02:24 PM.

Re: Elk rifle help [Re: aggiegolfer09] #7848590 05/23/20 02:26 PM
10 Gauge Online Content
Extreme Tracker
Online Content
Extreme Tracker
And for clarification, wp, that is not directed at you ^

Re: Elk rifle help [Re: aggiegolfer09] #7848768 05/23/20 07:41 PM
S
snake oil Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
S
Time for another screen name change?

"You may all go to hell and I will go to Texas".
Re: Elk rifle help [Re: 10 Gauge] #7848853 05/23/20 08:57 PM
J.G. Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
Originally Posted by FiremanJG

Fyi you are the one that came into this thread and started insulting people. Beginning with txtrophy85. You never pass on the chance to take a shot at somebody. Pun intended.

It is sort of a pattern i have noticed.

And it was definitely solicited advise

I simply asnwered your questions, nothing more.

I don't get your knee jerk to get so butt hurt. Maybe it is time for another screen name change, like Snakeoil said. The rest of us can see that pattern.

[Linked Image]
800 Yard Steel Range
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide