Forums46
Topics537,783
Posts9,729,086
Members87,042
Most Online25,604
Feb 12th, 2024
Print Thread
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Re: If you could pick a ranch to hunt... [Re: rolyat.nosaj] #7846387 05/21/20 04:13 AM
D
deerfeeder Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
D
I know Tom had a ranch somewhere down there, but never really knew where. It just blew my mind back then that I was actually on part of what had been part of the King ranch way back when. I'd been to the King ranch back in the early 70's when I was stationed at the air station in Kingsville. I still cannot quite grasp having land from Kingsville to almost Zapata.

Re: If you could pick a ranch to hunt... [Re: rolyat.nosaj] #7846437 05/21/20 09:56 AM
H
Hudbone Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
H
I think it is because of the East split, that's why they set up the King Ranch Corporation.

Re: If you could pick a ranch to hunt... [Re: deerfeeder] #7846665 05/21/20 02:32 PM
T
txtrophy85 Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
T
Originally Posted by deerfeeder
I know Tom had a ranch somewhere down there, but never really knew where. It just blew my mind back then that I was actually on part of what had been part of the King ranch way back when. I'd been to the King ranch back in the early 70's when I was stationed at the air station in Kingsville. I still cannot quite grasp having land from Kingsville to almost Zapata.

The story goes Tom east married a Kleberg and moved to the ranch. They fell into some finnancial straits and sold the ranch to the King. After a few decades when another King ranch heir died she willed the ranch back to the East family.

So it was East country before it was king ranch country.

For it is not the quarry that we truly seek, but the adventure.
Re: If you could pick a ranch to hunt... [Re: rolyat.nosaj] #7846723 05/21/20 03:38 PM
J
Jgraider Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
J
Love the history of some of these old, big places.

Re: If you could pick a ranch to hunt... [Re: deerfeeder] #7846860 05/21/20 05:46 PM
skinnerback Online Content
THF Celebrity Chef
Online Content
THF Celebrity Chef
Originally Posted by skinnerback
Originally Posted by goosebuster
Originally Posted by 68rustbucket
Jones Ranch, more consistent quail hunting than the King Ranch.

agreed. open pasture and oak motts. big deer and nilgai as well.

I was on a deer lease in the Jones Alta Vista 2 yrs ago, that bordered the Robert East Sanctuary. Yes, lots of big deer, pigs, javis, turkey, quail. Wish I was still on it.

Hadn't read this when I posted. You could go West to East on Robert's Ranch and end up going through Jones' Borrego Ranch to hit 1017 and go back to La Gloria and 755 back to Rio Grande City.. Roberts ranch was at least 4 hours driving South to North and a little over 2 hours driving from West to East.

I was on the Guerra Ranch, just under 1,000 acres. They say it was one of the very first ranches deeded from Mexico. Heard lots of stories about the history of the place, very cool and some solid deer there. One of the stories I was told was that Mr Guerra way back when, had a pretty wife and a number of ranch hands. Supposedly his wife had shenanigans with one of the hands, so Mr Guerra invited all of his hands and his wife to sit down at his table and eat supper. Story goes he asked them who was sleeping with his wife and when no one admitted to it, he shot all of them right there (including the wife) and buried them in a little cemetery on the ranch. One of the guys I was on the lease with found that cemetery hiding way off in the brush. There was some talk about ghosts drinking a few around the campfire, LOL. As far as I know that place is still up for sale.

Re: If you could pick a ranch to hunt... [Re: rolyat.nosaj] #7846888 05/21/20 06:14 PM
R
rioman42 Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
R
My pick would be the one with the best quail hunting

Re: If you could pick a ranch to hunt... [Re: BOBO the Clown] #7846920 05/21/20 06:39 PM
S
Stub Online Happy
THF Celebrity
Online Happy
THF Celebrity
S
Originally Posted by BOBO the Clown
Brewster Ranches, O6 and Longfellow in that order. Mule deer, elk,
auadad, and Big Horns . Fourth would be King

BOBO Brewster is for sale, reach in that left pocket of your's and just pay cash for it up Only $320,000,000

https://www.drovers.com/article/massive-brewster-ranch-listed-320-million

I would like to hunt in the Guadalupe Mountains up

Last edited by Stub; 05/21/20 07:14 PM.

texas flag

Re: If you could pick a ranch to hunt... [Re: 68rustbucket] #7846967 05/21/20 07:34 PM
CCBIRDDOGMAN Offline
Bird Herder
Bird Herder
Originally Posted by 68rustbucket
Originally Posted by kmon1
06 or Longfellow for me, would like to hunt that country again some time.

One of the 6666 ranches I would also like to hunt is one they own in Montana. Hunted a ranch that bordered it several times and there are some good mule deer, pronghorn and elk there.

My Britt got to hunt on the 6666. I had to pick her up at the feed store in Guthrie, no guest allowed on the ranch.

Our Quail lease is right down the road from the 6666 ranch, when we called around looking for a Vet in case of emergency we were told to call them so we did, they said they have vet on duty 24/7 and if we ever needed them, to come right over anytime and they would help us out. So, from the list I would pick 6666 ranch in Guthrie.

Originally Posted by bill oxner
Haven't had it in years but never spit any out.

Originally Posted by bill oxner
I am a sucker for happy endings and strapped cowboys.
Re: If you could pick a ranch to hunt... [Re: skinnerback] #7847021 05/21/20 08:21 PM
D
deerfeeder Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
D
Guerra? Isn't that on 649 at San Roman? It does butt up against the East ranch close to the SW corner. If that's the right place, I saw my first ever mountain lion there crossing 649 and going into the ranch. Been a longtime ago that I was down in that part of Starr County. I loved it. Hot and humid as could be in the summer and you'd get sleet storms in the winter.

There was also some Guerra's who had a little convenience store on the west side of 649 right before you get to the cut off that goes to La Gloria back then.

Last edited by deerfeeder; 05/21/20 08:26 PM.
Re: If you could pick a ranch to hunt... [Re: deerfeeder] #7847052 05/21/20 08:55 PM
THF Celebrity Chef
Online Content
THF Celebrity Chef
Guerra? Isn't that on 649 at San Roman? It does butt up against the East ranch close to the SW corner. If that's the right place, I saw my first ever mountain lion there crossing 649 and going into the ranch. Been a longtime ago that I was down in that part of Starr County. I loved it. Hot and humid as could be in the summer and you'd get sleet storms in the winter.

There was also some Guerra's who had a little convenience store on the west side of 649 right before you get to the cut off that goes to La Gloria back then.

No Sir. This ranch is pretty far off the beaten path. Just South of Hebbronville if you turn S on 1017 headed to Rio Grande City, you go 17.5 miles and turn left into the Jones Alta Vista. The Guerra is almost 10 miles in on all dirt roads. Well, part of it is caliche and then it turns into just pasture trails. It does butt up to the Robert East, I don't remember now which corner. There's some BIG deer on the East. Also LOTS of illegals and BP LOL.

Re: If you could pick a ranch to hunt... [Re: skinnerback] #7847164 05/21/20 10:45 PM
D
deerfeeder Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
D

No Sir. This ranch is pretty far off the beaten path. Just South of Hebbronville if you turn S on 1017 headed to Rio Grande City, you go 17.5 miles and turn left into the Jones Alta Vista. The Guerra is almost 10 miles in on all dirt roads. Well, part of it is caliche and then it turns into just pasture trails. It does butt up to the Robert East, I don't remember now which corner. There's some BIG deer on the East. Also LOTS of illegals and BP LOL.

Okay, I'm familiar with 1017 out of Hebbronville and Jones Alta Vista is on the East side of 1017, while Jones Borrego Ranch is further south on the West side of 1017. We actually ran a check point out of a UPS type truck on 1017, just inside the Starr County line for years. RGC gave it up and let Hebbronville run it now way up the road.

Re: If you could pick a ranch to hunt... [Re: rolyat.nosaj] #7847175 05/21/20 11:03 PM
tlk Online Happy
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Happy
THF Trophy Hunter
I have hunted on part of the old Chittim for 13 years. Not as big as the King, etc. but was originally 250,000 acres. An incredible ranch.

The original Chittim family member started the ranch in the 1800s on a land grant. He grew it into a massive cattle operation by buying property around him when he could. Story is that he lived in San Antonio while owning this ranch. There were cowboys out on the quarter of a million acres working cattle. He would travel out to the ranch and get on a horse to see his property. (keep in mind that during this time there were NO electric lines, paved roads, towers, etc. to have as landmarks. Totally raw land. He would ride his property and get lost so the cowboys would have to come find him. He became one of the top cattle producers in the USA back in the day. Of course the property has been divided up many times over the years but a really cool history.

You can't fix stupid
Re: If you could pick a ranch to hunt... [Re: deerfeeder] #7847178 05/21/20 11:08 PM
THF Celebrity Chef
Online Content
THF Celebrity Chef

Okay, I'm familiar with 1017 out of Hebbronville and Jones Alta Vista is on the East side of 1017, while Jones Borrego Ranch is further south on the West side of 1017. We actually ran a check point out of a UPS type truck on 1017, just inside the Starr County line for years. RGC gave it up and let Hebbronville run it now way up the road.

Yes Sir, went through that check point every weekend that season. I love that area, well, pretty much all of S Texas LOL. I love the brush country. I've seen a lot of good animals on the Jones but the rule was drive no faster than 15 MH and don't stop, so I didn't except for when my little girl choked on some Cheetos and puked all over me and my truck LOL. I never stopped and glassed any of them. I really liked that place and wish I could still be on it, but there was too much drama in the group I was with so it was a one and done for me. Anyway back

Re: If you could pick a ranch to hunt... [Re: rolyat.nosaj] #7847268 05/22/20 01:14 AM
D
deerfeeder Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
D
I like this thread. Really awesome reading about some great Texas history. up

Re: If you could pick a ranch to hunt... [Re: deerfeeder] #7847272 05/22/20 01:16 AM
THF Celebrity Chef
Online Content
THF Celebrity Chef
I like this thread. Really awesome reading about some great Texas history. up

Me too. One of the best threads in a long time.

Re: If you could pick a ranch to hunt... [Re: rolyat.nosaj] #7847295 05/22/20 01:36 AM
T
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
T
The history of land is one of the reasons I enjoy my job so much. Every place has a story.

From Native American history to early Settlers to 19th and 20th century land barons, every place has a story to tell.

So much history has been lost I’ve spent many an hour researching history on a place trying to piece together stuff to answer a question I’ve found.

Re: If you could pick a ranch to hunt... [Re: Stub] #7847415 05/22/20 04:14 AM
S
Sneaky Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
S
Originally Posted by Stub

BOBO Brewster is for sale, reach in that left pocket of your's and just pay cash for it up Only $320,000,000

Aoudad tags are easy to draw and not too expensive on the New Mexico side.

Re: If you could pick a ranch to hunt... [Re: rolyat.nosaj] #7848393 05/23/20 03:35 AM
D
deerfeeder Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
D
Another good looking ranch is the Yturria ranch West and North of Sanderson. They butt up against Longfellow along 90 W of Sanderson and range North, on 285 into Pecos County.

I know there are Yturria Ranches in Cameron County along the coast off of 77, but I'm not sure if it's the same family.

The ranches west of Sanderson hold some good mulies and elk.

Re: If you could pick a ranch to hunt... [Re: deerfeeder] #7848407 05/23/20 04:03 AM
T
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
T
Another good looking ranch is the Yturria ranch West and North of Sanderson. They butt up against Longfellow along 90 W of Sanderson and range North, on 285 into Pecos County.

I know there are Yturria Ranches in Cameron County along the coast off of 77, but I'm not sure if it's the same family.

The ranches west of Sanderson hold some good mulies and elk.

Same family.

The Ship ranch out of Laredo was 25k mas or menos.

They also had a ranch in Ft. Davis that recently sold. Think it was 32k

Re: If you could pick a ranch to hunt... [Re: Sneaky] #7848416 05/23/20 04:23 AM
BOBO the Clown Online Content
kind of a big deal
Online Content
kind of a big deal
Originally Posted by Sneaky

I drew a Feb tag this year. We shall see, guessing it’s going to be a tough hunt but beats the hell hole of an office

Donate to TX Youth hunting program.... better to donate then to waste it in taxes

https://secure.qgiv.com/for/gtgoh/mobile
Re: If you could pick a ranch to hunt... [Re: BOBO the Clown] #7848445 05/23/20 05:28 AM
S
Sneaky Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
S
Originally Posted by Sneaky

I drew a Feb tag this year. We shall see, guessing it’s going to be a tough hunt but beats the hell hole of an office

I wouldn’t call it easy, but from what I’ve seen, it’s not terribly tough. I guess it depends on trophy goals, more than anything. You got an area picked out, yet?

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide