Print Thread
Planting question #7845686 05/20/20 05:04 PM
B
Biscuit Online Shocked OP
THF Celebrity
OP Online Shocked
THF Celebrity
B
I am looking at a property that has a 30 acre field, nothing currently planted in it. I would want to plant something that would be good ground cover, deer like it and it either stays alive or returns annually. What are some suggestions ?

Re: Planting question [Re: Biscuit] #7845801 05/20/20 06:48 PM
R
Rustler Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
R
Depends on if there will be livestock on it or overrun with pigs, how much prep work you want to do or can do, and where in the state the property is.
Your county agrilife extension would have a good idea of what works well in specific counties.

As simple as one of Turner seed native perennial wildlife mixes, or their spring deer mix with 25% spring turkey & quail mix added.
Any of it needs to be in the ground asap.

It can be as simple or complex as you want it to be.

Re: Planting question [Re: Rustler] #7845872 05/20/20 07:52 PM
B
THF Celebrity
OP Online Shocked
THF Celebrity
B
Originally Posted by Rustler
Depends on if there will be livestock on it or overrun with pigs, how much prep work you want to do or can do, and where in the state the property is.
Your county agrilife extension would have a good idea of what works well in specific counties.

As simple as one of Turner seed native perennial wildlife mixes, or their spring deer mix with 25% spring turkey & quail mix added.

Thanks for the feedback !!!

Re: Planting question [Re: Rustler] #7846054 05/20/20 10:53 PM
P
PMK Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
P

yep ... for the rest of us, what is the location of the property and we might be able to add more ...

"everyone that lives dies but not everyone who dies lived..."

~PMK~
Re: Planting question [Re: PMK] #7846467 05/21/20 11:38 AM
B
THF Celebrity
OP Online Shocked
THF Celebrity
B
Originally Posted by PMK

yep ... for the rest of us, what is the location of the property and we might be able to add more ...

Newcastle area - Young County

Re: Planting question [Re: Biscuit] #7846551 05/21/20 01:08 PM
R
Rustler Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
R
Originally Posted by Thekitch
Originally Posted by PMK

Newcastle area - Young County

In Young county my suggestions will work well.
Anything from Turner perennial wildlife mix by itself, to 75% wildlife + 25% spring deer, or 50% wildlife + 25% spring deer + 25% spring turkey & quail.
Then in the fall after seeds heads have set & dried, shred and then plant their fall deer mix. light disc before or drag/chain harrow.
Then late spring of the following year after winter seed heads have set & dried light disc or shred & chain harrow or drag.
If the soil chemistry is right should have a seed base base that will return for a few to several years with just shredding & dragging.

Using Turner mixes gets you a wide variety of species, or you can pick whatever seeds you want and they'll blend the seeds for you.
They are close by and very knowledgable friendly folks.

Will there be livestock on the place?,, if so you're peeing into the wind without fencing them out.
Is the ground already broken & bare?,, seed bed prep greatly improves germination & stand vigor / survival.
Do you have equipment to shred, disc, drag?,, Throwing seed on top of existing plant base decreases germination & increases competition with existing plant base with a root system new seedlings can't compete with. Bare minimum of heavy drag to remove as much of the existing and loosen top 1/2" or so of soil.
Success depends on seed bed preparation, seed to soil contact, soil chemistry, planting at the right depth (at least not too deep), timely rains.

There is a lot to be said for a free choice protein feeder in a large well built feed pen.

Re: Planting question [Re: Biscuit] #7846669 05/21/20 02:33 PM
P
pokerj2 Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
P
I am on the Archer/Young County line. I planted about 40 acres of wheat on my ranch last year and it came up really well. I would advise you send a soil sample to A&M to get exactly what your dirt needs to make stuff grow. When I bought the seed and fertilizer from the feed store, they guy said that what I was buying for fertilizer wouldn't work. I bought what the A&M report said to buy, and had the best yield of the past 4 seasons.

President of American Entitlements LLC
Health insurance agency focusing in all ages from ACA plans all the way through Medicare.
Office is based in Wylie, TX
We have local agents in both Texas and Louisiana
469-814-0289
Re: Planting question [Re: Biscuit] #7847418 05/22/20 04:18 AM
T
TexasOutdoorsman Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
T
Deer love a good gradual (soft) edge. On the edge of the field you wana plant your taller like a switch grass the do a nice buffalo or blue stem mix in the middle of the field. This is great cover for deer, birds, ground nesting birds and tons of other wildlife. Food plots integrated in the field of natural grasses would also be a great thing.

Young county is perfect for the grasses I mentioned. You could also mix in a Texas pollinator blind that would throw some wildflowers in that will bloom in spring/summer.

If you need any further help feel free to ask!

Last edited by TexasOutdoorsman; 05/22/20 04:23 AM.

texas

Tejas Wildlife Company - Selling Apparel to Benefit Wildlife!
Instagram - @tejaswildlifeco
Re: Planting question [Re: Biscuit] #7848938 05/23/20 10:58 PM
B
THF Celebrity
OP Online Shocked
THF Celebrity
B
Thanks y’all !!

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread