Page 1 of 2 1 2
Rattlesnake Bite to Dog - Warning! Graphic #7843660 05/18/20 07:28 PM
I
ILUVBIGBUCKS Offline OP
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
I
So, seeing the post on here about the cat keeping the rattlesnake hypnotized got me to thinking about this.
Please keep in mind the pictures below are graphic and show how bad a bite can really be. Also just as some background on this. This was our GSH Retriever and my dog was my once in a lifetime dog. I've had a lot of dogs and this one was just absolutely special. She made it through a bout with cancer about a year or so before this bite she too and again, only because of my cousin and his team of other vets and techs who operated for nearly 2 hours. The cancer came back with a vengeance last year in February and we had to say goodbye to her in February. It was a devastatingly hard time and I still get emotional typing this up and every time I mow by her grave site looking over one of our tanks where she would swim for hours on end.

She had been vaccinated for rattlesnake bites and also had some resistance built up due to being bitten on the nose a couple years earlier. That and the fact my cousin is one hell of a Vet and worked his azz off to save her are the only reasons she survived this bad of a bite. She took one directly bite on her belly behind her last two tits and another on her backside high up onto her butt. I suspect she was at a full run and likely pounced right on top of the snake. I did not find the snake but imagine it was a big one as the fangs were about 2" wide if not more.

The pics below start two days after the bite occurred and ran to the last one taken about 8 weeks later. It is truly amazing how it healed up and within a year you could not even see where all the meat had rotted away from the inside of her leg. And this is now the reason no rattlesnake within my line of site gets a pass!

I wish I knew how to size down my pics but I am a tad bit tech challenged.
The date each pic was taken is above each one so that the progress made can be seen with a timeline.

08/01/15
[Linked Image]

08/06/15
[Linked Image]

08/18/15
[Linked Image]

08/23/15
[Linked Image]

09/04/15
[Linked Image]

09/08/15
[Linked Image]

09/11/15
[Linked Image]

09/15/15
[Linked Image]

09/20/15
[Linked Image]

09/24/15
[Linked Image]

High fence, low fence, no fence, it really doesn't matter as long as you're hunting!
Re: Rattlesnake Bite to Dog - Warning! Graphic [Re: ILUVBIGBUCKS] #7843662 05/18/20 07:30 PM
I
ILUVBIGBUCKS Offline OP
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
I
Here is a picture of her and my son sharing some quality time on the couch. She was 12.5 years old in this pic.

Hell of a dog!

[Linked Image]

And one that my wife had to take to make her look like a big ol sissydog. lol

[Linked Image]

Last edited by ILUVBIGBUCKS; 05/18/20 07:45 PM.

High fence, low fence, no fence, it really doesn't matter as long as you're hunting!
Re: Rattlesnake Bite to Dog - Warning! Graphic [Re: ILUVBIGBUCKS] #7843702 05/18/20 08:08 PM
S
Stub Online Happy
THF Celebrity
Online Happy
THF Celebrity
S
Interesting progression, I guess you had it bandaged when not cleaning it?

texas flag

Re: Rattlesnake Bite to Dog - Warning! Graphic [Re: ILUVBIGBUCKS] #7843719 05/18/20 08:13 PM
H
Hudbone Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
H
venom causes the muscle to swell while the sheath holding the muscle does not and that's what causes the real damage. You can see where the vet opened it up to give room. Really a goo set of photos. Thanks for providing them.

Re: Rattlesnake Bite to Dog - Warning! Graphic [Re: ILUVBIGBUCKS] #7843728 05/18/20 08:19 PM
dogcatcher Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Thanks for posting this.

Combat Infantryman, the ultimate hunter where the prey shoots back.
_____________"Illegitimus non carborundum est"_______________

[Linked Image]
Re: Rattlesnake Bite to Dog - Warning! Graphic [Re: ILUVBIGBUCKS] #7843750 05/18/20 08:34 PM
B
Biscuit Online Shocked
THF Celebrity
Online Shocked
THF Celebrity
B
great post , thank you for sharing it. I bet that was hard to deal with but it's great she healed up. I bet she was a heckuva family member.

Re: Rattlesnake Bite to Dog - Warning! Graphic [Re: Stub] #7843752 05/18/20 08:35 PM
I
ILUVBIGBUCKS Offline OP
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
I
Originally Posted by Stub
Interesting progression, I guess you had it bandaged when not cleaning it?

Stub, it actually remained open the entire time and the poor girl wore the cone of shame for about 10 weeks straight.
We had to flush it with water 3-4 times per day for 10-15 minutes and then put a salve on it he made for us from Sugar and Benadine.
The first few days was very tough as you could see the water running over it was causing a lot of pain for her being that it was completely open muscle tissue.

Re: Rattlesnake Bite to Dog - Warning! Graphic [Re: Hudbone] #7843759 05/18/20 08:39 PM
I
ILUVBIGBUCKS Offline OP
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
I
Originally Posted by Hudbone
venom causes the muscle to swell while the sheath holding the muscle does not and that's what causes the real damage. You can see where the vet opened it up to give room. Really a goo set of photos. Thanks for providing them.

You are dead on right Hudbone. After about 4 days the muscle tissue died and the smell was just awful. It was like an animal that had been laying dead in the pasture under the hot sun for several days.
Once this happened he came over to the house and he gave her a shot and knocked her out. He began cutting away about 1/2" deep into the leg and scraping all the dead tissue out until he reach live (bleeding tissue). My God I thought she was going to bleed to death on our porch it was so much.

I'm glad to post them so all can see just how devastating these bites can be to our compadres.
I hate seeing an animal hit by one much less a human.

Re: Rattlesnake Bite to Dog - Warning! Graphic [Re: ILUVBIGBUCKS] #7843768 05/18/20 08:44 PM
J
jetdad Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
J
I know there's no way to measure, but I wonder how much difference the vaccine and previous bite made. My Jack Russell has been bit by copperheads three times that I'm sure of and each time the bites have been less severe. Could be size of snake, one that just fed or any number of reasons for variations of reactions. That's a lot of trauma for the dog and a sad loss for your family. I'm sorry.

Re: Rattlesnake Bite to Dog - Warning! Graphic [Re: Biscuit] #7843770 05/18/20 08:44 PM
I
ILUVBIGBUCKS Offline OP
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
I
Originally Posted by Thekitch
great post , thank you for sharing it. I bet that was hard to deal with but it's great she healed up. I bet she was a heckuva family member.

No doubt man it was a tough deal for us for sure. We were just so happy she pulled through it.
She was my best bud for 13 years no doubt and went anywhere and everywhere with us.

I've never had a better dog and we could leave her in the house loose all day and then some and never had to worry about a thing.
She did not like other dogs at all but absolutely loved people. She seemed to understand everything you would tell her......damn near scary at times. lol

Re: Rattlesnake Bite to Dog - Warning! Graphic [Re: jetdad] #7843787 05/18/20 08:51 PM
I
ILUVBIGBUCKS Offline OP
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
I
Originally Posted by jetdad
I know there's no way to measure, but I wonder how much difference the vaccine and previous bite made. My Jack Russell has been bit by copperheads three times that I'm sure of and each time the bites have been less severe. Could be size of snake, one that just fed or any number of reasons for variations of reactions. That's a lot of trauma for the dog and a sad loss for your family. I'm sorry.

I totally believe the vaccine and the first bite she had a couple years earlier made all the difference in her making it on this one.
I can say that my cousin believes this 100% and said so.

I also remember some of my grandmother's dogs being bit many times as a kid growing up and just like you said they appeared to have less and less reaction each time.
Hell, one of her dogs was bitten 3 times within a two month time frame and all of them were on the head and neck. You would think they would learn after than but I guess they have that 'protective instinct' and just try and kill the snakes no matter the outcome to themselves.

I was always told that a mid to large dog would survive a rattlesnake bit so as long as it was not any further back on the body than the front shoulder. I don't know exactly how true that is but do know I've seen many get it in the face and swell up horribly but as long as they are able to breath and drink wather they all recovered within a week or so.

I do have a neighbor that has a cow in his pasture that is missing half her tongue due to a rattlesnake bit. He told me she was bitten about two years ago and when he went there to check the cows her tongue was hanging out of her mouth about 10" long and swelled up the size of a small watermelon. He'd given her up for dead but left her alone as she had a young calf at her side. He came back a few days later and said that it was black and stunk horribly. About a week later it rotted off. She seems no worse for wear now and has given him a couple more calves. Holy Crap animals are TOUGH!

Re: Rattlesnake Bite to Dog - Warning! Graphic [Re: ILUVBIGBUCKS] #7844166 05/19/20 02:23 AM
kry226 Online Content
The General
Online Content
The General
My dream dog is a GSP and we'll be retiring to rattlesnake country. Definitely gonna be inviting every rattlesnake hunter in my neck of the woods to come out each February and clean out every den they can find.

[Linked Image]
Re: Rattlesnake Bite to Dog - Warning! Graphic [Re: ILUVBIGBUCKS] #7844204 05/19/20 03:04 AM
HuntingTexas Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
She was a beauty. So sorry for your loss. Those pics hurt to look at except the last two. I know those bring a smile to your face. They did to mine too.

" In God We Trust "

Re: Rattlesnake Bite to Dog - Warning! Graphic [Re: ILUVBIGBUCKS] #7844336 05/19/20 12:13 PM
H
Hudbone Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
H
Protecting doggies, one shot at a time -

[Linked Image]

Re: Rattlesnake Bite to Dog - Warning! Graphic [Re: ILUVBIGBUCKS] #7844337 05/19/20 12:14 PM
N
NDN98 Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
N
Sorry this happened to your pup.

Re: Rattlesnake Bite to Dog - Warning! Graphic [Re: kry226] #7844357 05/19/20 12:39 PM
I
ILUVBIGBUCKS Offline OP
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
I
Originally Posted by kry226
My dream dog is a GSP and we'll be retiring to rattlesnake country. Definitely gonna be inviting every rattlesnake hunter in my neck of the woods to come out each February and clean out every den they can find.

You will not be sorry when you get your GSP. My advice would be to get a female as I do believe they are smarter than the males.
The other advice is to be prepared for a dog that you simply cannot wear out for the first 5-7 years of their life. Our girl literally would swing for 2 hours straight with us at the lake or river and never leave the water. She would run for miles on end and it was a thing of beauty to watch her literally clear 3' high weeds and bound 20'-25' per leap. Amazing athletes they are.

Now, ours would be energetic as you could imagine outside but once she came through door into the house she was fantastic.

I want another one badly but just cannot bring myself to yet 15 months later after losing her...…..the pain is still pretty damn hard and I don't wanna have to go through it again.

Re: Rattlesnake Bite to Dog - Warning! Graphic [Re: HuntingTexas] #7844359 05/19/20 12:40 PM
I
ILUVBIGBUCKS Offline OP
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
I
Originally Posted by HuntingTexas
She was a beauty. So sorry for your loss. Those pics hurt to look at except the last two. I know those bring a smile to your face. They did to mine too.

Thank you brother. I do smile every time I look at those pics of her smiling there in the flowers and especially with her laying there with my boy.

Re: Rattlesnake Bite to Dog - Warning! Graphic [Re: Hudbone] #7844360 05/19/20 12:41 PM
I
ILUVBIGBUCKS Offline OP
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
I
Protecting doggies, one shot at a time -

[Linked Image]

NICE!!!!!!!!

banana

Re: Rattlesnake Bite to Dog - Warning! Graphic [Re: NDN98] #7844361 05/19/20 12:41 PM
I
ILUVBIGBUCKS Offline OP
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
I
Originally Posted by NDN98

Thank you sir.
It is hard to see them hurt no doubt.

Re: Rattlesnake Bite to Dog - Warning! Graphic [Re: HuntingTexas] #7844362 05/19/20 12:45 PM
B
Bass&More Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
B
Originally Posted by HuntingTexas

^^^this. peep

Re: Rattlesnake Bite to Dog - Warning! Graphic [Re: ILUVBIGBUCKS] #7844368 05/19/20 12:57 PM
kry226 Online Content
The General
Online Content
The General
Originally Posted by ILUVBIGBUCKS
Originally Posted by kry226

You will not be sorry when you get your GSP. My advice would be to get a female as I do believe they are smarter than the males.
The other advice is to be prepared for a dog that you simply cannot wear out for the first 5-7 years of their life. Our girl literally would swing for 2 hours straight with us at the lake or river and never leave the water. She would run for miles on end and it was a thing of beauty to watch her literally clear 3' high weeds and bound 20'-25' per leap. Amazing athletes they are.

Now, ours would be energetic as you could imagine outside but once she came through door into the house she was fantastic.

I want another one badly but just cannot bring myself to yet 15 months later after losing her...…..the pain is still pretty damn hard and I don't wanna have to go through it again.

Thank you, sir. I've got 240 acres of panhandle rolling plain. She'll get her exercise!

Sorry for your loss!

[Linked Image]
Re: Rattlesnake Bite to Dog - Warning! Graphic [Re: ILUVBIGBUCKS] #7844485 05/19/20 02:53 PM
B
Black02z28 Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
B
Always sad to see. My Dad's lab went through something very similar at their quail lease

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Re: Rattlesnake Bite to Dog - Warning! Graphic [Re: ILUVBIGBUCKS] #7844600 05/19/20 05:27 PM
I
ILUVBIGBUCKS Offline OP
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
I
Thank you fellas. I miss her a lot.
Drive by her resting spot every evening on my side by side and tell her hello. Really wish she could go for one more ride with me.

Damnit to hell B02z28, that is horrible. Poor pup. Did He/she make a full recovery??

DAMN Rattlesnakes!

Re: Rattlesnake Bite to Dog - Warning! Graphic [Re: ILUVBIGBUCKS] #7844716 05/19/20 07:36 PM
N
NORML as can be Offline
^^Cut the Cord^^
^^Cut the Cord^^
N
Very sorry for your loss..

I'm borrowing this.
[Linked Image]

(R-TX) .-- " TCNN CURL CRLB VFF VRNO AYR SNDL CGC TLRY MSOS "

_=====___=________==-

Re: Rattlesnake Bite to Dog - Warning! Graphic [Re: NDN98] #7844792 05/19/20 09:04 PM
bill oxner Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Originally Posted by NDN98

Quail hunting is like walking into, and out of a beautiful painting all day long. Gene Hill

[Linked Image]

Page 1 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide