Print Thread
The Last Dance #7842979 05/18/20 03:01 AM
K
KWood_TSU Offline OP
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
K
That was a solid series. I wish I was older so I could of remembered it.
Michael is no doubt the goat, and I'm not sure if they weren't the greatest basketball team to play.
Good stuff

Amat Victoria Curam - Victory Loves Preparation
Re: The Last Dance [Re: KWood_TSU] #7844320 05/19/20 12:03 PM
N
NDN98 Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
N
I wrapped up the series last night and thoroughly enjoyed it. Brought back a lot of memories of a time when I used to watch every NBA playoff game that I could. I know some will disagree, but Jordan is the GOAT. Phil Jackson was a huge part to the success story as well. Many people forget what he did after the Bulls...win another 3-peat and a total of 5 more NBA championships with the Lakers. I put him right on our there with Red Auerbach as the greatest coach in NBA history.

Re: The Last Dance [Re: KWood_TSU] #7844329 05/19/20 12:11 PM
bill oxner Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Virginian for me.

Quail hunting is like walking into, and out of a beautiful painting all day long. Gene Hill

[Linked Image]

Re: The Last Dance [Re: KWood_TSU] #7844850 05/19/20 09:55 PM
Duck_Hunter Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
Best thing ESPN has ever done. It was awesome.

Jordan is absolutely the GOAT. It was great to hear him explain it, especially in Episode 7. “I never asked anyone to do anything I wasn’t willing to do myself. If you don’t like it, don’t play.”

That says it all. The object is to win championships. That’s all he wanted and he made sure his teammates, even the role players, were helping him do that. As he said, “if that meant I had to get in your [butt], I was gonna get in your [butt].”

It was refreshing to see that type of mentality.

Originally Posted by bill oxner
I just turned it on . I was looking bird dogs in the butt this morning.

[Linked Image]
Re: The Last Dance [Re: Duck_Hunter] #7844879 05/19/20 10:25 PM
Guy Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
I didn't watch any of that, is it on replay?

Re: The Last Dance [Re: KWood_TSU] #7844924 05/19/20 11:01 PM
J
JCB Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
J
I can tell you that documentary sure brought a ton of money into the sports cards market. Im talking 400%-500%+ increases in sale prices in just a few days. To bad I didn't buy any of the key cards while they were still under the radar.

Re: The Last Dance [Re: KWood_TSU] #7844932 05/19/20 11:08 PM
S
Sailor Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
S
The only thing, more boring than BB...…………..
is baseball....…. barf

Re: The Last Dance [Re: Sailor] #7844941 05/19/20 11:16 PM
bill oxner Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Originally Posted by Sailor
is baseball....…. barf

Agree. I like cowboys and their beautiful horses. I saw one that looked more like an American Saddle Bred three gated horse last night. Love those old horse drawn bugghis.

Quail hunting is like walking into, and out of a beautiful painting all day long. Gene Hill

[Linked Image]

Re: The Last Dance [Re: KWood_TSU] #7844988 05/19/20 11:49 PM
bill oxner Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Also, we need a sticky on TV tonight. There are at. Least a half dozen threads about it each day.

[Linked Image]

Re: The Last Dance [Re: Sailor] #7845046 05/20/20 12:34 AM
K
KWood_TSU Offline OP
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
K
Originally Posted by Sailor
is baseball....…. barf

I don't like basketball myself, but it was a great documentary.

Re: The Last Dance [Re: Guy] #7845047 05/20/20 12:35 AM
K
KWood_TSU Offline OP
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
K
Originally Posted by Guy

I believe it's on Netflix. They've been reairing episodes on ESPN though

Re: The Last Dance [Re: KWood_TSU] #7845053 05/20/20 12:42 AM
R
rolyat.nosaj Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
R
Originally Posted by KWood_TSU
Michael is no doubt the goat, and I'm not sure if they weren't the greatest basketball team to play.
Good stuff

I agree 100%. Put together really well and quickly became the show I was drooling to watch more of. I remember as a kid we got WGN in Chicago and they showed all of the bulls games. For whatever reason my mom was a huge bulls fan and so I became one. We watched so many games, followed all the the teams, stats, and players. The show reminded me of things I heard in the news like Pippen wanting to quit and Jordan playing baseball but I did not know any of the behind the scenes drama with management. Jordan was the best basketball Player ever and no one has out performed him since.

Last edited by rolyat.nosaj; 05/20/20 12:43 AM.
Re: The Last Dance [Re: KWood_TSU] #7845054 05/20/20 12:45 AM
Guy Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
Originally Posted by Guy

Thanks. I was listening to the "ticket" (1310AM) and they were talking about it (probably 2 days ago?), and they were saying how turned off they were by some of Jordan's comments. I want to watch it all for myself.

Re: The Last Dance [Re: Guy] #7845057 05/20/20 12:53 AM
K
KWood_TSU Offline OP
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
K
Originally Posted by Guy
Originally Posted by Guy

Thanks. I was listening to the "ticket" (1310AM) and they were talking about it (probably 2 days ago?), and they were saying how turned off they were by some of Jordan's comments. I want to watch it all for myself.

I remember in an interview he was worried that people would lose respect for him for how he treated teammates. It wasn't that he treated them bad, he just wanted them to rise up, and people don't understand that in this day.

Re: The Last Dance [Re: KWood_TSU] #7845072 05/20/20 01:13 AM
Guy Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
Originally Posted by Guy
Originally Posted by Guy

I remember in an interview he was worried that people would lose respect for him for how he treated teammates. It wasn't that he treated them bad, he just wanted them to rise up, and people don't understand that in this day.

On 1310 the ticket, what they were talking about that they were turned off about was another opposing player that apparently was able to slow Jordan stat wise, and Jordan could not bring himself to admit it, or something like that. I could be way off on this, but I want to watch it all myself.

Re: The Last Dance [Re: KWood_TSU] #7845146 05/20/20 02:02 AM
R
rjf1911 Online Content
Pro Tracker
Online Content
Pro Tracker
R
I had forgotten about Steve Kerr’s Dad being killed in Beirut by terrorists masquerading as students at American Univ.

Was interesting that he said he and MJ never talked about their fathers being murdered.

But, for me, the takeaway was how what opposing players either said about him, or awards they won over him fueled such a fire whenever he played them....not many, if any, like him.

Re: The Last Dance [Re: rolyat.nosaj] #7845583 05/20/20 03:27 PM
L
Leonardo Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
L
Originally Posted by rolyat.nosaj
Good stuff

I agree 100%. Put together really well and quickly became the show I was drooling to watch more of. I remember as a kid we got WGN in Chicago and they showed all of the bulls games. For whatever reason my mom was a huge bulls fan and so I became one. We watched so many games, followed all the the teams, stats, and players. The show reminded me of things I heard in the news like Pippen wanting to quit and Jordan playing baseball but I did not know any of the behind the scenes drama with management. Jordan was the best basketball Player ever and no one has out performed him since.

That is what I found the most interesting. I remember the headlines but the details were fascinating.

Re: The Last Dance [Re: Guy] #7845586 05/20/20 03:33 PM
L
Leonardo Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
L

I remember in an interview he was worried that people would lose respect for him for how he treated teammates. It wasn't that he treated them bad, he just wanted them to rise up, and people don't understand that in this day. [/quote]
On 1310 the ticket, what they were talking about that they were turned off about was another opposing player that apparently was able to slow Jordan stat wise, and Jordan could not bring himself to admit it, or something like that. I could be way off on this, but I want to watch it all myself.
[/quote]

In context to Gary Paton aka The Glove. While I found Jordan's reaction interesting I also thought Gary's recollection of things is a bit skewed as well. MJ stilled average 23pts per game and the Bulls won the series in 6 games. I don't consider that shutting anyone down but it was good defense.

Re: The Last Dance [Re: KWood_TSU] #7845623 05/20/20 04:14 PM
B
BradyBuck Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
B
MJ is no doubt the best ever..

But the documentary sugar coated some of the negatives and left out a lot of things. They completely left out two entire seasoned where he lost in the playoffs. I heard on sports talk radio that the entire series had to be signed off by MJ and many interviews that had some negative things were axed.

MJ controls the narrative and I don't blame him..

He also is a huge product of circumstance.

He fell into the perfect storm with the timing of the Pistons being on the downhill side and not really any other great team to challenge them during their run.

Last edited by BradyBuck; 05/20/20 04:17 PM.

HRCH Washita's Kimber Locked N Loaded
GRHRCH Firefly's Rally The Troops MH
Re: The Last Dance [Re: BradyBuck] #7845702 05/20/20 05:21 PM
L
Leonardo Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
L
Originally Posted by BradyBuck
MJ is no doubt the best ever..

But the documentary sugar coated some of the negatives and left out a lot of things. They completely left out two entire seasoned where he lost in the playoffs. I heard on sports talk radio that the entire series had to be signed off by MJ and many interviews that had some negative things were axed.

MJ controls the narrative and I don't blame him..

He also is a huge product of circumstance.

He fell into the perfect storm with the timing of the Pistons being on the downhill side and not really any other great team to challenge them during their run.

Aren't we all a product of circumstance? Good and bad.

They did reference the two series losses but didn't elaborate.

It was absolutely controlled by MJ but I am glad there was a glimpse into what made him who he is.

Re: The Last Dance [Re: KWood_TSU] #7846105 05/20/20 11:44 PM
bill oxner Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
TV tonight sucks. I'm starting with Tombstone on AMC. Its the worst OK Corral movie in my whole wide world. Switching to Virginian just hoping not to fall asleep.

Open it back up. Bring. Back MLB.

[Linked Image]

Re: The Last Dance [Re: Leonardo] #7846111 05/20/20 11:48 PM
H
Herbie Hancock Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
H
Originally Posted by Leonardo

[/quote]

In context to Gary Paton aka The Glove. While I found Jordan's reaction interesting I also thought Gary's recollection of things is a bit skewed as well. MJ stilled average 23pts per game and the Bulls won the series in 6 games. I don't consider that shutting anyone down but it was good defense. [/quote]

I guess in his mind keeping him below his average of 27 points during that series was shutting him down..........

It takes beer to make thirst worthwhile - J. Fred Schmidt

The internet is an I.Q. Test, people post their scores in the comment section.
Re: The Last Dance [Re: Leonardo] #7846553 05/21/20 01:09 PM
Duck_Hunter Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
Originally Posted by Leonardo

[/quote]

In context to Gary Paton aka The Glove. While I found Jordan's reaction interesting I also thought Gary's recollection of things is a bit skewed as well. MJ stilled average 23pts per game and the Bulls won the series in 6 games. I don't consider that shutting anyone down but it was good defense. [/quote]

Gary Payton was the best on-the-ball defender at the time and still is one of the most prolific trash talkers of all time. MJ’s worst game against Payton in the playoffs was game six in 1996 finals , where he had 22 points. The Bulls won the game and championship. He also had 36 in game three of that series.

Payton definitely slowed MJ down in that series (and when they played each other in general). Jordan was and is a great trash talker, and what The Last Dance really showed was where he got his motivation - from trash talking, having a chip on his shoulder, feeling slighted in some way.

The context of the TLD re: Jordan and Payton was this:

“I had no problem with the Glove," Jordan said dismissively after Payton claimed to have changed the series with his incredible defense from Games 4-6. "I had other things on my mind."
Yes, it is true that 1995-96 was the first season that M.J. played without his father by his side, and yes, it is true that Game 6 of the 1996 NBA Finals was played on Father's Day, but Payton's handiwork was hardly confined to a single game. When the Seattle SuperSonics and Bulls met for the first time in the regular season, Payton held Jordan to 22 points on 6-of-19 shooting in a Sonics victory. In the three NBA Finals games in which Payton drew the primary Jordan assignment, His Airness averaged only 23.7 points per game on 36.7 percent shooting from the field. In Chicago's first 15 playoff games, Jordan averaged 32.1 points on 47.6 percent shooting.
Numbers don't lie. Jordan did, in fact, have a problem with the Glove. So how did Payton defend Jordan so effectively? Let's dive into the 1996 NBA Finals to find out.

The answer to trash talk when you’re winning or won is always the same: I won, you lost. Jordan definitely struggled, compared to most games, against Payton, but it wasn’t like he was completely shutdown and lost.

I enjoyed the reactions to things like this by MJ in the documentary. I thought it was funny. MJ was motivated by this stuff and is a large part of why he worked so hard to become the greatest.

Originally Posted by bill oxner
I just turned it on . I was looking bird dogs in the butt this morning.

[Linked Image]
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide