Print Thread
9 pigs in 7 days #7843416 05/18/20 04:06 PM
J
JTPinTX Offline OP
Tracker
OP Offline
Tracker
J
My son has been planting peanuts and has one circle where pigs have been wearing him out. Timing was bad for me since my new XQ50 LRF Trail wasn't holding zero and needed to be sent back, and my XQ50 Thermion replacement hasn't got here yet. While I was waiting on the RMA for the Trail I went ahead and hunted with it, using the Trail as a spotter for location and stalking, and going back to the old Photon digital NV for shooting.

The first couple of nights the field damage wasn't very bad. He thought probably just 1-2 pigs. I went out there a week ago Friday and waited for a couple hours. About 11:30 a big sow came in across the field, about 350 yards out. I left the truck and stalked her over a rise in the field that was blocking my view. I stalked to about 100 yards from her and let her have it with the 6.5 Grendel. She ended up being bigger than I thought. Heart girth measurement was 44", good for 240 lbs according to the chart.

[Linked Image]

Things were fine for a couple of days, then last Monday morning the damage exploded. Large sections of the field wiped out. Me and a friend tried to hunt on Monday night but got blown out by storms after just an hour or so. I couldn't hunt Tuesday, but had another friend from Amarillo come down and help me Wednesday night. We ended up stalking a sounder of 10 that had some big pigs in it. I was still shooting my Grendel with NV, he was shooting an AR10 in 308 with an XQ38 Trail. We ended up killing 5, two of them big pigs. The biggest taped 47.5" (275 lbs) and the next biggest taped 40" (200 lbs). It was a good night, stalking wasn't bad, good shooting conditions.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

On Thursday my son replanted the better part of a quarter circle of peanuts. Roughly $3800 in seed, not counting fuel. This is what serious pig damage looks like. They put their nose down in a planted row, and just follow it. This part is about 80% gone, and one of the parts he replanted.

[Linked Image]

Friday night a different friend went with me. Thunderstorms, lightning, rain, you name it. We stalked down to the NW corner of the circle, then saw a group of pigs to the SE. We started stalking but the pigs were feeding away from us pretty quick. For every 3 steps we took they were taking 2. Stalking across soft wet sand with lightning flashing, we got in a bad tail chase situation. Eventually we caught them on the SE side of the circle. 1/2 mile as the crow flies from where we started the stalk (not from the pickup), and trust me, we didn't take the "as the crow flies" route. We set up on them and it was the other half of the sounder from 2 nights before. By this point it is spitting rain pretty hard, everything is soaking wet, playing havoc with my old digital NV. We did get 3 killed for sure. One little football made it out alive. One pig we were pretty sure we knocked down but couldn't find. By the time we walked to the pickup and drove back it was pouring rain. The wheat we killed them in was knee high. We barely found the 3, even using thermal. We had another field of my friends we needed to hunt, but were too wiped out and thermal wasn't seeing very good anymore so we called it a night.

[Linked Image]

Re: 9 pigs in 7 days [Re: JTPinTX] #7843459 05/18/20 04:42 PM
D
der Teufel Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
D
Good work.

Keep knocking 'em down!

I have two unwritten rules:
Re: 9 pigs in 7 days [Re: JTPinTX] #7843497 05/18/20 05:19 PM
Double Naught Spy Online Happy
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Happy
THF Trophy Hunter
Consistency pays off!

Hogdalorian - Si vis pacem cum sus, para bellum.
My Videos https://www.youtube.com/user/HornHillRange
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide