THF Trophy Hunter
OP Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
F
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Hes one of my favorites. Its a shame I had auto settings on my cam messed up(im a rookie.) Tail end of rut, early post rut.
Ill probably give yall a break for awhile and let you catch up. Just learned how to post pics and I got 1000s of em. Ill try to spread em out.

Last edited by freerange; 05/15/20 07:32 PM.

At some point in life its time to quit chasing the pot of gold and just enjoy the rainbow. FR
Keep your gratitude higher than your expectations. RWH
Re: Age and Score 9 [Re: freerange] #7840640 05/15/20 07:40 PM
B
Biscuit Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
B
I'm convinced...you have a lot of great deer around you

Re: Age and Score 9 [Re: freerange] #7840665 05/15/20 08:16 PM
H
Hudbone Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
H
if that deer is older than 3 1/2, I would lose a bet.

Re: Age and Score 9 [Re: Hudbone] #7840682 05/15/20 08:44 PM
F
freerange Online Content OP
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
F
Kitch, so is that a compliment are is it a nice way of saying ENOUGH ALREADY!!!
Hud, I would bet the same and a whole lot. I would maybe bet a small amount that hes 2(maybe wishful thinking.) It will be really fun watching the progression.

At some point in life its time to quit chasing the pot of gold and just enjoy the rainbow. FR
Re: Age and Score 9 [Re: freerange] #7840684 05/15/20 08:46 PM
BOBO the Clown Online Content
kind of a big deal
Online Content
kind of a big deal
Originally Posted by freerange
Hud, I would bet the same and a whole lot. I would maybe bet a small amount that hes 2(maybe wishful thinking.) It will be really fun watching the progression.

Yelp stud 2year old, look forward to watching him

Donate to TX Youth hunting program.... better to donate then to waste it in taxes

https://secure.qgiv.com/for/gtgoh/mobile
Re: Age and Score 9 [Re: Biscuit] #7841217 05/16/20 11:16 AM
D
DLALLDER Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
D
Originally Posted by Thekitch

Freerange, some are just jealous and rightfully so. Some excellent deer.

Re: Age and Score 9 [Re: DLALLDER] #7841341 05/16/20 02:11 PM
F
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
F
Originally Posted by DLALLDER

Freerange, some are just jealous and rightfully so. Some excellent deer.

OK, thanks. Maybe I should back off. I guess ive just never been the jealous type. I can admire and appreciate something without being jealous of who possesses it. I just LOVE Whitetail deer(and Mule) and wish everyone on here would POST EVERY PICTURE OF EVERY ONE they have. They just fascinate me, especially WT cause they all look so different. I learn so much about them by seeing pics and especially when guys start explaining age and score insights. I could post 100 more of these from my other lease with a lot of them being aged, scored and weighed afterward. It just seems like a huge learning opportunity for anyone on here and if the shoe was on the other foot I would pay money to see all those bucks and have all yall teach me about how to evaluate them. The main reason I get on this forum is to learn and I was hoping I could return the favor by offering some real world examples that we all could learn from. I will weigh the discouragement against the encouragement and see if I post many more going forward.

Re: Age and Score 9 [Re: freerange] #7841363 05/16/20 02:40 PM
Q
QMC SW/EXW Online Content
Pro Tracker
Online Content
Pro Tracker
Q
Until it is on the ground and wears a tag it scores NOTHING. I have never understood the reason for assigning some sort of numerical score to a buck. Every buck fairly taken should be treasured without regard for the number of inches it gets on some sort of scoring system. If that is why you hunt then you hunt for the wrong reasons in my opinion. Feel free to disagree.

Retired Navy Chief
NJROTC Instructor for Tascosa High School
Re: Age and Score 9 [Re: freerange] #7841375 05/16/20 02:52 PM
S
Sneaky Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
S
Most of us enjoy these threads. Keep posting.

Re: Age and Score 9 [Re: Sneaky] #7841395 05/16/20 03:13 PM
kind of a big deal
Online Content
kind of a big deal
Originally Posted by Sneaky

X2, plus shuts up all stx elitests whistle

Obie is lurking but will he bite.

Donate to TX Youth hunting program.... better to donate then to waste it in taxes

Re: Age and Score 9 [Re: QMC SW/EXW] #7841455 05/16/20 04:12 PM
F
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
F
Originally Posted by QMC SW/EXW
Until it is on the ground and wears a tag it scores NOTHING. I have never understood the reason for assigning some sort of numerical score to a buck. Every buck fairly taken should be treasured without regard for the number of inches it gets on some sort of scoring system. If that is why you hunt then you hunt for the wrong reasons in my opinion. Feel free to disagree.

QMC, I wont give you an in depth answer to your question cause I don't want to derail this thread. The reasons WHY score is important to some and the reasons WHY hunters hunt deserve a thread of their own and I will start one.
What I will say is that "BC score" is important to some of us and enough so that I put together a 3+ hour video explaining how I estimate BC score. If anyone would like the link to the video shoot me a PM. Its done in house, primary to help manage our lease, and its not professionally done and not intended for any type commercial use.

Re: Age and Score 9 [Re: freerange] #7841457 05/16/20 04:12 PM
B
Biscuit Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
B
Definitely a compliment. I love these posts and I need practice aging them

Re: Age and Score 9 [Re: Biscuit] #7841459 05/16/20 04:13 PM
F
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
F
Definitely a compliment. I love these posts and I need practice aging them

Oh, good. Thanks Kitch.

Re: Age and Score 9 [Re: freerange] #7841553 05/16/20 05:37 PM
J
JCO Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
J
I always like to see pics of great free range deer. Keep them coming.

NRA Life Member (Master of Poor Decisions)
Re: Age and Score 9 [Re: BOBO the Clown] #7841567 05/16/20 05:51 PM
F
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
F
Originally Posted by BOBO the Clown
Originally Posted by Sneaky

X2, plus shuts up all stx elitests whistle

Obie is lurking but will he bite.

55458 and counting cyclo

Re: Age and Score 9 [Re: freerange] #7841580 05/16/20 06:03 PM
T
Texas buckeye Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
T
If he (STX) was getting the rain we are getting the metro he would be biting now since there is no way to be in the fields today.

Anyway, appreciate the posts free range, keep it up as much as you want. I need help
Scoring on the hoof as much as anyone, and always appreciate the aging from pics too. Different opinions make for good discussion and learning.

We have had timely rain all spring thus far, and forage is abundant in southern OK/north Texas, so these monsters will only continue to get bigger. The last several years have been very kind to us northern hunters with regard to
Timely rains, so I expect another bumper crop of stickers, non typical, drops, etc. should be a fun year to be in the woods this year!

Re: Age and Score 9 [Re: freerange] #7841589 05/16/20 06:12 PM
M
majekman Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
M
OP doing a fine job. Anybody on a hunting forum that doesn’t appreciate seeing pics of good deer, well.....

Re: Age and Score 9 [Re: majekman] #7841622 05/16/20 07:05 PM
H
Hudbone Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
H
Originally Posted by majekman
OP doing a fine job. Anybody on a hunting forum that doesn’t appreciate seeing pics of good deer, well.....

Maybe they shouldn't look.

Re: Age and Score 9 [Re: QMC SW/EXW] #7841938 05/17/20 12:35 AM
tlk Online Happy
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Happy
THF Trophy Hunter

just wow - YES I feel free to disagree. Freerange is as good a manager of deer as you will ever hope to converse with. If you want to kill every buck you see no matter the size of the horns or their age then go for it. That is your right.

But if a hunter chooses to improve the herd by management then for you to say he is "hunting for the wrong reasons" is a pile of BS. I smell a troll here - you are on the wrong forum

You can't fix stupid
Re: Age and Score 9 [Re: Texas buckeye] #7841960 05/17/20 12:49 AM
kind of a big deal
Online Content
kind of a big deal
Originally Posted by Texas buckeye
If he (STX) was getting the rain we are getting the metro he would be biting now since there is no way to be in the fields today.

Anyway, appreciate the posts free range, keep it up as much as you want. I need help
Scoring on the hoof as much as anyone, and always appreciate the aging from pics too. Different opinions make for good discussion and learning.

We have had timely rain all spring thus far, and forage is abundant in southern OK/north Texas, so these monsters will only continue to get bigger. The last several years have been very kind to us northern hunters with regard to
Timely rains, so I expect another bumper crop of stickers, non typical, drops, etc. should be a fun year to be in the woods this year!

He been getting in shape for an elk hunt this year. He is pretty pumped about getting a big ol’ Bull. I image Whitetails and Mule deer will take a back seat until he fills that tag.....

Re: Age and Score 9 [Re: BOBO the Clown] #7842320 05/17/20 02:30 PM
T
Texas buckeye Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
T

He been getting in shape for an elk hunt this year. He is pretty pumped about getting a big ol’ Bull. I image Whitetails and Mule deer will take a back seat until he fills that tag.....

Oh fun! I am in the same process, trying to get in shape for an elk hunt. I can’t say WT is taking a second seat, but I am def excited about the elk hunt. Gonna be a fun year I think. Acorn drop should not be as rough this year and with the weather we are having it should be a fun time in the woods

Re: Age and Score 9 [Re: BOBO the Clown] #7842367 05/17/20 03:05 PM
F
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
F

So much for multitasking...

Re: Age and Score 9 [Re: BOBO the Clown] #7842581 05/17/20 06:43 PM
kind of a big deal
Online Content
kind of a big deal
Originally Posted by freerange

Yelp stud 2year old, look forward to watching him

130-134

Re: Age and Score 9 [Re: tlk] #7842696 05/17/20 09:11 PM
Q
QMC SW/EXW Online Content
Pro Tracker
Online Content
Pro Tracker
Q
Originally Posted by tlk

just wow - YES I feel free to disagree. Freerange is as good a manager of deer as you will ever hope to converse with. If you want to kill every buck you see no matter the size of the horns or their age then go for it. That is your right.

I don't believe I implied any such thing. But until a deer is taken there is no score. It is all hypothetical. Until a tape hits it, there is no score. How someone manages their deer isn't relevant,

But if a hunter chooses to improve the herd by management then for you to say he is "hunting for the wrong reasons" is a pile of BS. I smell a troll here - you are on the wrong forum

And I also don't believe I said anything about the way anyone manages their herd. But there is a factor that you are not taking into consideration. If inches of antler are all you care about then why hunt? Just buy a deer off a game farm and slaughter it like a cow. Hunting is about more than inches of antler. Besides you may not understand it, something tells me you lack the mental acuity to understand the point I'm making, many non-hunters get very put off when all they hear from hunters is how big the "trophy" is. They fully support hunting for meat but take a less reasonable view on what the see as simple trophy hunting. So less talk about antler size and more talk about meat actually helps all hunters.

As to the "troll" shot, sorry but you couldn't be farther from the truth. I have held hunting licenses in 13 states, 2 Canadian provinces, have hunted in Europe and done 5 African safaris. Unless my count is wrong I have taken 68 species of game. Been there, done that and am willing to look at things differently than you do. As I stated, feel free to disagree but not insult. That's the trait of a child not a man.

As they said in the Movie: Lighten up Francis.

Retired Navy Chief
NJROTC Instructor for Tascosa High School
Re: Age and Score 9 [Re: Hudbone] #7842876 05/18/20 12:54 AM
68rustbucket Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
Originally Posted by Hudbone
if that deer is older than 3 1/2, I would lose a bet.

That’s is heck of a rack for such a young deer!

Page 1 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide