Re: Guess the muzzle velocity [Re: onlysmith&wesson] #7838546 05/13/20 08:23 PM
R
rmp Offline OP
Bird Dog
OP Offline
Bird Dog
R
Originally Posted by onlysmith&wesson
I'll be following this, hoping you have the same great results I have had with this ammo. I have been buying it for 6 years, and have dialed it on three different CDS set ups with excellent results out to 400 yards on hunting set ups. I posted my chrono results a few years ago and the velocity was so tight that I was told by a few posters that something had to be wrong with the chrono. If it varies from lot to lot, I haven't had that experience. I dial it through out the year and kill with it. You'll be glad you're going to the trouble to give Leupold good data. It's been a great hunting set up for me.

3115, wow great knowledge (way to good to be a guess). I've used this bullet for about 6 years also but this is my first CDS hope it goes as well as I've heard.

Jameson Peak Ranch
Trophy Whitetails
"Lets go hunt a BIG one."
Re: Guess the muzzle velocity [Re: onlysmith&wesson] #7838980 05/14/20 02:50 AM
R
Roughneck913 Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
R
Originally Posted by Roughneck913

Had superformance 7mag that ran close to 300 fps slower than box speed. 10 shot averaged it to do get CDS info for a customer because some dumbass friend had recommended he use the box speed and he couldn't figure out why his turret never seemed to match. Turns out if you have a barrel 4 inches shorter than Hornady tested with, you lose some speed. And if your barrel material/finish/twist rate are different, that matter too! who would have thought?!?!?!?! (heavy sarcasm)

What length of barrel was getting 300 fps less than the velocity called out on the box?

20 inch from Christensen Arms. The exact number below advertised was 282 if I remember correctly

Last edited by Roughneck913; 05/14/20 02:51 AM.
Re: Guess the muzzle velocity [Re: onlysmith&wesson] #7839017 05/14/20 03:27 AM
U
unclebubba Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
U
I'll be following this, hoping you have the same great results I have had with this ammo. I have been buying it for 6 years, and have dialed it on three different CDS set ups with excellent results out to 400 yards on hunting set ups. I posted my chrono results a few years ago and the velocity was so tight that I was told by a few posters that something had to be wrong with the chrono. If it varies from lot to lot, I haven't had that experience. I dial it through out the year and kill with it. You'll be glad you're going to the trouble to give Leupold good data. It's been a great hunting set up for me.

What does he win?

Re: Guess the muzzle velocity [Re: Roughneck913] #7839111 05/14/20 10:19 AM
onlysmith&wesson Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter

Had superformance 7mag that ran close to 300 fps slower than box speed. 10 shot averaged it to do get CDS info for a customer because some dumbass friend had recommended he use the box speed and he couldn't figure out why his turret never seemed to match. Turns out if you have a barrel 4 inches shorter than Hornady tested with, you lose some speed. And if your barrel material/finish/twist rate are different, that matter too! who would have thought?!?!?!?! (heavy sarcasm)

What length of barrel was getting 300 fps less than the velocity called out on the box?

20 inch from Christensen Arms. The exact number below advertised was 282 if I remember correctly

Was this barrel cut? I can't see someone cutting 6" off a great rifle, but over 1/2 of the loss in velocity can be assigned to barrel length. Hornady likely published their #'s based on a 26".

An unethical shot is one you take, that you know you shouldn't.
Re: Guess the muzzle velocity [Re: rmp] #7839250 05/14/20 01:37 PM
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Originally Posted by rmp

3115, wow great knowledge (way to good to be a guess). I've used this bullet for about 6 years also but this is my first CDS hope it goes as well as I've heard.

I'm not surprised. I got the same results on a chronograph, and in the field more times than I can count when dialing the CDS on game. Hornady wouldn't be the great company they are if they made ammo that was not consistent. But, it still takes a great rifle and a great optic to go with it. If you're missing one of those, the other two won't matter.

Re: Guess the muzzle velocity [Re: onlysmith&wesson] #7839286 05/14/20 02:40 PM
R
Roughneck913 Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
R

Was this barrel cut? I can't see someone cutting 6" off a great rifle, but over 1/2 of the loss in velocity can be assigned to barrel length. Hornady likely published their #'s based on a 26".

I think so, I dont believe CA offers a factory 20 in 7 mag. It probably started life as either a 24 or 26. Im fairly certain basically all the MV loss can be assigned to the shorter barrel. My point was not about factory ammo issues as much as using REAL info for the CDS, not box info

Re: Guess the muzzle velocity [Re: rmp] #7897187 07/11/20 10:55 AM
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Originally Posted by rmp

How's the CDS dial working out?

Re: Guess the muzzle velocity [Re: onlysmith&wesson] #7898802 07/13/20 02:00 AM
R
rmp Offline OP
Bird Dog
OP Offline
Bird Dog
R
Originally Posted by rmp

How's the CDS dial working out?

I've been busy so it was just a couple of days ago I got to try it. Put the dials on and alternated shots between 200 and 400 yards. Everything was a hit. I'm satisfied at this point. Hoping to get some more shooting in this week.

Jameson Peak Ranch
Trophy Whitetails
Re: Guess the muzzle velocity [Re: rmp] #7898930 07/13/20 09:53 AM
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Good to hear.

Re: Guess the muzzle velocity [Re: onlysmith&wesson] #7899317 07/13/20 06:24 PM
R
rmp Offline OP
Bird Dog
OP Offline
Bird Dog
R
Ran out this morning and stopped 530 yards from our 9x10 steel plate. Was cool to shoot look up grab binoculars and then hear "clank". Not a precision rifle at that distance but I wouldn't hesitate to try a hog or coyote at 500. It does what I was hoping for.

Jameson Peak Ranch
Trophy Whitetails
Re: Guess the muzzle velocity [Re: rmp] #7899422 07/13/20 07:47 PM
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Originally Posted by rmp
Ran out this morning and stopped 530 yards from our 9x10 steel plate. Was cool to shoot look up grab binoculars and then hear "clank". Not a precision rifle at that distance but I wouldn't hesitate to try a hog or coyote at 500. It does what I was hoping for.

This the Texas [/b]Hunters [b] Forum. Done right, as you have, this is a great hunting set up. For me, it's the best way to get it done. This ammo gets bashed but I have found it to be consistent. Your validation of the velocity gives me more confidence than I already had. Thanks for the follow up.

Re: Guess the muzzle velocity [Re: rmp] #8729404 11/08/22 07:01 PM
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Originally Posted by rmp

Still shooting this Hornady ammo? I am, same results.

Re: Guess the muzzle velocity [Re: rmp] #8729470 11/08/22 08:14 PM
BOBO the Clown Online Content
kind of a big deal
Online Content
kind of a big deal
Originally Posted by rmp

It’s a whole new level of confidence when all the back work is done. Congrats.

Donate to TX Youth hunting program.... better to donate then to waste it in taxes

https://secure.qgiv.com/for/gtgoh/mobile
Re: Guess the muzzle velocity [Re: rmp] #8729494 11/08/22 08:55 PM
U
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
U
Originally Posted by rmp

You should spot your hits through the scope. Doing what you are doing is poor follow through, and will cause you to be less accurate. Even if you are hitting, it creates a bad habit.

Re: Guess the muzzle velocity [Re: unclebubba] #8729510 11/08/22 09:22 PM
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Originally Posted by unclebubba
Originally Posted by rmp

You should spot your hits through the scope. Doing what you are doing is poor follow through, and will cause you to be less accurate. Even if you are hitting, it creates a bad habit.

Now tell us you're kidding?

Re: Guess the muzzle velocity [Re: rmp] #8729517 11/08/22 09:26 PM
N
nesikabay Offline
Tracker
Tracker
N
Originally Posted by rmp
Just to pass time put in your guess.
I had my friend chrono Hornady's 300 Win Mag SST from my Tikka T3, 23.5 inch barrel, so I can order my CDS from Leupold.
He's a gun builder and long range shooter. He used his LabRadar Ballistic Velocity Doppler Radar Chronograph to get my guns muzzle velocity.
Hornady box claims a muzzle velocity of 3,130 fps. What's your guess on his findings? I'll post actual number tomorrow night.

From reading on here. You better hold of on buying your next CDS lol

Re: Guess the muzzle velocity [Re: nesikabay] #8729519 11/08/22 09:28 PM
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Originally Posted by nesikabay
Originally Posted by rmp
Just to pass time put in your guess.
I had my friend chrono Hornady's 300 Win Mag SST from my Tikka T3, 23.5 inch barrel, so I can order my CDS from Leupold.
He's a gun builder and long range shooter. He used his LabRadar Ballistic Velocity Doppler Radar Chronograph to get my guns muzzle velocity.
Hornady box claims a muzzle velocity of 3,130 fps. What's your guess on his findings? I'll post actual number tomorrow night.

From reading on here. You better hold of on buying your next CDS lol

Good data in, good results out (the end of the barrel).

Last edited by onlysmith&wesson; 11/08/22 10:16 PM.

Re: Guess the muzzle velocity [Re: onlysmith&wesson] #8729554 11/08/22 10:06 PM
U
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
U
Originally Posted by rmp

Ummm, no.

Re: Guess the muzzle velocity [Re: unclebubba] #8729564 11/08/22 10:15 PM
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Originally Posted by rmp

Ummm, no.

Pointless buzz kill. Who says you can't have some fun with this?

Last edited by onlysmith&wesson; 11/08/22 10:15 PM.

Re: Guess the muzzle velocity [Re: rmp] #8729604 11/08/22 11:18 PM
U
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
U

Pointless buzz kill. Who says you can't have some fun with this?

I wasn't sure if you were joking or what. confused2 I missed the opportunity.

Re: Guess the muzzle velocity [Re: rmp] #8945572 10/29/23 03:43 PM
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Since this thread, I'm still doing it with Hornady ammo. A lot of kills using the CDS dial and Hornady ammo I had the dials built to; a 550 yard kill on a coyote with one set up, a 330 yard kill on another. Both were Tikka, each one shooting Hornady ammo of different calibers, each with a Leupold VX5-HD, 3-15 x 44 topped with a CDS dial. It won't work if all three are not consistent. Every year I make a lot of shots on game and steel using these set ups. No way I'm lucky all these years on this ammo, the velocity is consistent for me as it was for the OP.

Re: Guess the muzzle velocity [Re: rmp] #8945583 10/29/23 04:06 PM
R
redchevy Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
R
Have some hornady 178 eldx precision hunter I was given out of an estate. Will shoot it through a cz 550 30-06 at some point hope it’s as good as yalls have been.

It's hell eatin em live
Re: Guess the muzzle velocity [Re: redchevy] #8945597 10/29/23 04:30 PM
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Originally Posted by redchevy
Have some hornady 178 eldx precision hunter I was given out of an estate. Will shoot it through a cz 550 30-06 at some point hope it’s as good as yalls have been.

That's what I shoot in 7mm Rem Mag, 162 gr. ELDX, Precision Hunter. That was the 330 yard coyote shot. Shot it on steel out to 400 with really good results after getting good groups on paper at 200 yards last week. Still doing as well as it did a year ago.

Re: Guess the muzzle velocity [Re: rmp] #9024137 03/25/24 12:22 AM
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
@bobcat, tell your son.

Re: Guess the muzzle velocity [Re: onlysmith&wesson] #9024175 03/25/24 01:59 AM
B
bobcat1 Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
B
@bobcat, tell your son.

I will.

Bobby Barnett

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3