Most Online25,604
Feb 12th, 2024
Print Thread
School me on making a belt grinder. #7835657 05/11/20 03:31 AM
J.G. Offline OP
THF Celebrity
OP Offline
THF Celebrity
I'm a hobby knife maker. The ones I've finished have been given away as gifts, or used by me. I'm down the Rabbit hole as far as one can go with rifles, so I can't and won't justify buying a shure enough knife grinder, they are too damned expensive. But my shop has every welding process available, mill, lathe, drill press, and I'm willing to build what I need.

I just need the right plan. Help is appreciated.

[Linked Image]
800 Yard Steel Range
Precision Rifle Instruction
Memberships and Classes Available
Re: School me on making a belt grinder. [Re: J.G.] #7836602 05/12/20 12:59 AM
MikeC Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
I built my variable speed 2x72. I just looked at a lot of them online and sort of copied the KMG grinder. There are a lot of how to videos on You Tube that didn't exist back when I built mine.

www.connerknives.net

In every old body lives a young person wondering what the hell happened!

[Linked Image]
Re: School me on making a belt grinder. [Re: J.G.] #7836742 05/12/20 03:35 AM
B
Bama2 Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
B
Best way to start is to start with one of these.
https://www.polarbearforge.com/grinder_kit_order.html

stovallcustomknives @facebook
Re: School me on making a belt grinder. [Re: J.G.] #7836992 05/12/20 01:39 PM
J
Jason Fry Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
J
I built mine from the no-weld pattern, but welded it. Started with step pulleys, went to VFD after that.

I don't know what you're grinding with now, but a full sized variable speed grinder will improve your quality and production rate. They are definitely expensive, but do tend to pay for themselves over time. You'll be able to make better knives, faster. That means increased prices and increased revenue, if you do it right.

Jason Fry
Fry Custom Knives
@frycustomknives on Instagram
Join my mailing list HERE.
Re: School me on making a belt grinder. [Re: J.G.] #7837339 05/12/20 05:51 PM
S
ShaneA Offline
Tracker
Tracker
S
i looked at a bunch of them, and built mine from scratch, no real plans

www.crawdaddyforge.com

Proverbs 3:6 In all thy ways acknowledge him, and he shall direct thy paths.
Re: School me on making a belt grinder. [Re: Jason Fry] #7837786 05/13/20 12:35 AM
B
bjankowski Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
B
Originally Posted by Jason Fry
I built mine from the no-weld pattern, but welded it. Started with step pulleys, went to VFD after that.

I don't know what you're grinding with now, but a full sized variable speed grinder will improve your quality and production rate. They are definitely expensive, but do tend to pay for themselves over time. You'll be able to make better knives, faster. That means increased prices and increased revenue, if you do it right.

I agree with Jason. First of all you're going to spend a lot of time and money making one from scratch and there's a big possibility you're not going to be happy with it and all that time and money you spent on it you're better off saving some money and getting a quality grinder. I have three and wish I had the room for one more, and trust me bro, they will improve you're work and certainly speed your process.

Re: School me on making a belt grinder. [Re: J.G.] #7838910 05/14/20 01:36 AM
M
Misfire Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
M
https://usaknifemaker.com/plans-for-the-no-weld-grinder-sander-nearly-50-pages.html

I’ve been running a Wilton Square Wheel for about 14 years. It works great but can’t help but to think my process would be easier with a modern variable speed grinder. I don’t make enough knives to justify the expense but if I were just starting out I’d for sure opt for a variable.

Last edited by Misfire; 05/14/20 02:17 AM.

"I wanna go fast" -Ricky Bobby

"Mind bottling isn't it?" -Chazz Michael Michaels

Re: School me on making a belt grinder. [Re: bjankowski] #7838981 05/14/20 02:52 AM
J.G. Offline OP
THF Celebrity
OP Offline
THF Celebrity
Originally Posted by bjankowski
Originally Posted by Jason Fry

I agree with Jason. First of all you're going to spend a lot of time and money making one from scratch and there's a big possibility you're not going to be happy with it and all that time and money you spent on it you're better off saving some money and getting a quality grinder. I have three and wish I had the room for one more, and trust me bro, they will improve you're work and certainly speed your process.

Thank you for the replies.

Variable speed is the plan. I can understand the time versus quality argument. However, the grinder will be built and used in a pretty well equipped shop. Forge, anvil, MIG, TIG, milling machine, engine lathe. I figure with enough time, I can make anything. This project will be given attention in steps. And hour here and there, and it will eventually get done. I want to make it, so that's why I am going to.

My knives are for me, and for gifts, so no figuring in increased revenue. I make knives as a change of pace from rifle and ammo work.

[Linked Image]
800 Yard Steel Range
Precision Rifle Instruction
Memberships and Classes Available
Re: School me on making a belt grinder. [Re: J.G.] #7850170 05/25/20 05:02 AM
dogcatcher Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
I made one like the video. I used a grinder that had brushes in the motor so I could use a router speed controller to control the speed of the belt. Mine also used 2x48 belts. Using the router controller you lose some of the power at the slow speeds. As long as I did not try to hog the metal off it worked okay. The bearings I used were skateboard bearings, back then a few dollars, the metal was from scrap pile. I already had the grinder and the router controller. Took me less than an afternoon to go to the skateboard place buy the bearings and put it all together.

Combat Infantryman, the ultimate hunter where the prey shoots back.
_____________"Illegitimus non carborundum est"_______________

[Linked Image]
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide