Is there a "Wild / Feral Hog Problem" #7837597 05/12/20 10:16 PM
G
GT653 Offline OP
Green Horn
OP Offline
Green Horn
G
Hi,

I wanted to get into wild hog hunting, so I was looking around to get a Night Vision scope, and wanted to get a .308 rifle but a
hunter friend that works at LaRue Tactical ( they make AR10s / 15s etc ), told me to save my money, that the "Wild / Feral Hog Problem" is a myth. That there is no such problem, that if there was a problem I should be able to easily find opportunities to go and hunt pigs; that the whole thing is a scheme by land owners to make a business out of hunting a pig here and there.
I told him he was crazy, that it seemed a bit conspiratorial; that the whole internet from blogs, to goverment websites talk about the issue, and that the population is out of control; that they don't even require a hunting license to take them down.
Then he said "I challenge you to find any place that would let you go and hunt a pig for less than $200; nevermind free. Then come talk to me". That if it was such a problem they would invite you, beg you to come and get them.
So is he full of it ? or is he right?

Needless to say I am now curious, and put buying those things on hold.

Thanks

Re: Is there a "Wild / Feral Hog Problem" [Re: GT653] #7837614 05/12/20 10:31 PM
J
Jhop Offline
Tracker
Tracker
J
Pigs can be a big problem for folks growing crops and raising livestock. However letting people drive around on their property shooting at anything they think is a pig can turn into dead livestock and more crop damage than the pigs cause. I'm very blessed in the fact that I have a number of ranchers and ranch mangers that I hunt pigs for and I'm Glade for the opportunity. I gladly spend my own time and money helping them out too! It's very easy to look on any number of places where folks are begging to be able to hunt pigs. popcorn

Retired U. S. Army, which means I still have to work to make a living.
Re: Is there a "Wild / Feral Hog Problem" [Re: GT653] #7837624 05/12/20 10:35 PM
P
pnh Online Content
Extreme Tracker
Online Content
Extreme Tracker
P
I let people come hunt at night and another traps for me. I'm not in it for the money, I consider they're doing me a favor in return for free access.

Character is what you do when nobody's looking.
Re: Is there a "Wild / Feral Hog Problem" [Re: GT653] #7837625 05/12/20 10:35 PM
M
mikei Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
M
Your hunter friend may not be full of it, but he sure doesn't understand that there is a serious problem with feral hogs, not just in Texas, but in all the southern states. They have even become a problem north of the Sun Belt. The issue in Texas is that most of the land is privately owned, therefore you have to get permission from the land owners to hunt hogs on their property. Getting that permission is generally kind of tough, because a lot of the land owners have had serious problems with allowing folks on their property that do not know the difference between an Angus and a hog, a deer and a hog, and don't understand that that .308 rifle can do serious damage to equipment, homes and people! There are several public land areas that allow hog hunting, and many of our members on this forum hunt those lands, successfully.

Re: Is there a "Wild / Feral Hog Problem" [Re: GT653] #7837630 05/12/20 10:41 PM
Creekrunner Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
1. Welcome! welcome
2. You've got to find smarter friends. That guy's an idiot.

...and have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over every living thing that moveth upon the earth. Gen. 1:28
Re: Is there a "Wild / Feral Hog Problem" [Re: GT653] #7837705 05/12/20 11:36 PM
Sniper John Offline
gumshoe
gumshoe
Place I hunt in East Texas a friend and I get to hunt for free year round in exchange for controlling hogs on the property and helping with property maintenance. There are landowners that will allow this, but it will usually have to be well experienced hunters that already have a trusting relationship with the landowner or through people the landowner knows well who will vouch for them. And yes we do get phone calls from the landowner and neighbors "they are back, please come take care of them asap". We always go when we get those texts/calls.

Re: Is there a "Wild / Feral Hog Problem" [Re: GT653] #7837828 05/13/20 01:02 AM
S
SapperTitan Offline
Taking Requests
Taking Requests
S
When you hunt a landowners property you aren’t paying 200 bucks to kill a hog your paying 200 bucks for him to allow you to enter and hunt on HIS property. If I owned land I wouldn’t let strangers Hunt as it poses more risk then benefits.

Re: Is there a "Wild / Feral Hog Problem" [Re: Creekrunner] #7837920 05/13/20 02:26 AM
F
flintknapper Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
F
Originally Posted by Creekrunner
1. Welcome! welcome
2. You've got to find smarter friends. That guy's an idiot.

^^^^^

There's your answer folks. Nothing else need be said.

Spartans ask not...how many, but where!
Re: Is there a "Wild / Feral Hog Problem" [Re: GT653] #7837980 05/13/20 03:47 AM
W
Whiptail Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
W

He's right that private landowners aren't going to let anyone off the street go out on their property for free.
He's wrong that there isn't a problem.

Re: Is there a "Wild / Feral Hog Problem" [Re: Whiptail] #7837988 05/13/20 03:54 AM
G
GT653 Offline OP
Green Horn
OP Offline
Green Horn
G
Thank you all for the answers. It helps me understand what's up.

Re: Is there a "Wild / Feral Hog Problem" [Re: GT653] #7837995 05/13/20 04:05 AM
D
Douglas Tipton Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
D
OP best discussion I've seen on the subject of access.

https://youtu.be/NKpsuN7j5tE

Re: Is there a "Wild / Feral Hog Problem" [Re: Douglas Tipton] #7838378 05/13/20 05:57 PM
G
GT653 Offline OP
Green Horn
OP Offline
Green Horn
G
Yeah, very good video; exactly what I was asking about.

Start watching at 22:07; before that is about something else.

Re: Is there a "Wild / Feral Hog Problem" [Re: Douglas Tipton] #7838434 05/13/20 06:41 PM
D
Dalroo Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
D
Originally Posted by Douglas Tipton
OP best discussion I've seen on the subject of access.

https://youtu.be/NKpsuN7j5tE

Good video discussion - bottom line, and as a property owner I completely agree, yes, we have a hog problem, and no, I will not let a stranger (even if paid) hunt on my place. Too much can go wrong.

Dalroo
Deep in the Heart of Texas
How about that Brandon!
Re: Is there a "Wild / Feral Hog Problem" [Re: GT653] #7838439 05/13/20 06:47 PM
Creekrunner Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
This is the same argument that's been around since the Middle Ages - lands that are held by, owned by, or ruled over by certain people that keep just anyone from hunting on them. Not completely unrelated to the political tactic, also from the Middle Ages, and used to this day, of "I'm gonna take it from the rich and give it to you." Childish, but gets people elected.

...and have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over every living thing that moveth upon the earth. Gen. 1:28
Re: Is there a "Wild / Feral Hog Problem" [Re: GT653] #7838824 05/14/20 12:21 AM
S
SapperTitan Offline
Taking Requests
Taking Requests
S
On a side note Larue sucks. Tried to buy a lower to match an upper of theirs and they instantly charged me but found out 2 months later it was gonna be atleast another 6 months wait to get the lower. Canceled order and bought Wilson Combat. Better quality, better customer service, and got it in under a week.

Re: Is there a "Wild / Feral Hog Problem" [Re: SapperTitan] #7838848 05/14/20 12:34 AM
G
GT653 Offline OP
Green Horn
OP Offline
Green Horn
G
Yeah it seems like they take their time to make the rifles; but their Ultimate Kit + the Lower is about $1500, which seems like a really good deal for a very nice rifle. I am not sure where you can get that deal somewhere else. ( A comparable Wilson Combat rifle seems to run about $1000 higher )

Re: Is there a "Wild / Feral Hog Problem" [Re: GT653] #7838922 05/14/20 01:47 AM
S
SapperTitan Offline
Taking Requests
Taking Requests
S
Originally Posted by GT653
Yeah it seems like they take their time to make the rifles; but their Ultimate Kit + the Lower is about $1500, which seems like a really good deal for a very nice rifle. I am not sure where you can get that deal somewhere else. ( A comparable Wilson Combat rifle seems to run about $1000 higher )

And they are worth every penny

Re: Is there a "Wild / Feral Hog Problem" [Re: GT653] #7838978 05/14/20 02:45 AM
P
Pig_Popper Online Content
Extreme Tracker
Online Content
Extreme Tracker
P
Hi,

I wanted to get into wild hog hunting, so I was looking around to get a Night Vision scope, and wanted to get a .308 rifle but a
hunter friend that works at LaRue Tactical ( they make AR10s / 15s etc ), told me to save my money, that the "Wild / Feral Hog Problem" is a myth. That there is no such problem, that if there was a problem I should be able to easily find opportunities to go and hunt pigs; that the whole thing is a scheme by land owners to make a business out of hunting a pig here and there.
I told him he was crazy, that it seemed a bit conspiratorial; that the whole internet from blogs, to goverment websites talk about the issue, and that the population is out of control; that they don't even require a hunting license to take them down.
Then he said "I challenge you to find any place that would let you go and hunt a pig for less than $200; nevermind free. Then come talk to me". That if it was such a problem they would invite you, beg you to come and get them.

Thanks

This is the strangest non-sensical post I’ve read in 2020 .

I mean damn isn’t it obvious...

Your “hunter” friend needs to just invite you to hunt pigs at his place and charge you $ 199

This space is For Sale - inquire within ...
Re: Is there a "Wild / Feral Hog Problem" [Re: GT653] #7839068 05/14/20 04:41 AM
Double Naught Spy Online Happy
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Happy
THF Trophy Hunter
Hi,

Thanks

Your hunter friend sounds like one of the many butthurt hunters who think that they should be given carte blanche access because they are there to "help" the landowner, but got rejected and is offended because someone had the audacity to charge him to hunt on land that isn't his. What he fails to understand is that while hogs are a problem, they are also a commodity. Not only that, a lot of self proclaimed hunters are a lot more of a problem for landowners than the hogs.

I hunt over a dozen different properties for landowners. I have earned their trust and have a good reputation, which gets me new properties. While we all want a free place to hunt, most people, like your hunter friend, really are not there to address the hog problem for landowners. All he wants it to be able to go out and blast at some hogs whenever it is convenient for him to do so. He isn't apt to be on a landowner's property several nights a week to actually address the problem. He isn't apt to show up when the landowner calls and says 'the hogs are back.'

Every property I hunt right now is a property that has had previous hunters to "help" the landowner and most were not happy with the result. As one landowner told me, the previous guy would come out with a couple of buddies and if they all had 30 round magazines in their rifles and saw a boar, they were shooting 90 rounds at that boar because they were there to rain hell and damnation on the hogs. They came out to hunt every few weeks to help control the hog problem.

The bottom line is that just because you have a gun and maybe night vision or thermal gear does not mean that you are now a hunter who is capable of addressing the hog problem. It doesn't even matter if you are a good shot. Where I see people get into trouble over and over again with landowners is by breaking the trust with landowners.

I had a buddy hunting a cattle ranch where he was to only shoot hogs. Well, no way in hell he would pass up a coyote. Coyotes are bad and he was doing the landowner a favor by shooting a coyote. The landowner found out and canned him...because he did not follow the rules.
Another lost a property because he started bringing his buddies to help take care of the landowner's hog problem. He had been given permission to hunt. He had not been given permission to guide his buddies. Canned.
One guy shot a calf that he mistook for a hog. Canned...failed to properly identify his target. He paid for the calf, but was not allowed to come back.
Leave a gate open and cattle get out or get into a pasture where they don't belong? Canned.
Hunting a part of the property that was off limits? Canned.
Leaving trash behind? Canned.
Camping on the property. Canned.

Hogdalorian - Si vis pacem cum sus, para bellum.
My Videos https://www.youtube.com/user/HornHillRange
Re: Is there a "Wild / Feral Hog Problem" [Re: GT653] #7839499 05/14/20 05:40 PM
D
der Teufel Online Content
Veteran Tracker
Online Content
Veteran Tracker
D
As DNS notes above, there are a lot of valid reasons why landowners don't allow just any warm body with a rifle and night vision equipment to "help with the hog problem!"

My wife's family has a couple of farm properties. I could hunt there if I wanted to, but there's not THAT much of a hog problem. Plus, it's leased to some neighbors who plant crops and run cattle there. I've talked with them and they're okay with me going after hogs, but I generally don't because the cattle do tend to get in the way. Also, there are some other neighbors who live nearby, and I don't want a stray bullet leaving the property. I've had occasions where I had to take a three mile detour because I couldn't get through a gate due to cattle spotting me and thinking I was there to feed them. I couldn't open a gate, get my vehicle through, and go back to close the gate without letting cattle into a field of oats where I'd NEVER get them out alone. What would a stranger who didn't intimately know the layout of the place do?

Not everyone is irresponsible, but good intentions or not mistakes can be made. Many landowners just prefer to deal with the problem they know rather than introduce potential new problems. The folks who want to hunt hogs aren't evil, but neither are the landowners who decline their offer of assistance.

I have two unwritten rules:
Re: Is there a "Wild / Feral Hog Problem" [Re: Double Naught Spy] #7839552 05/14/20 07:13 PM
Sniper John Offline
gumshoe
gumshoe
Originally Posted by Double Naught Spy

Your hunter friend sounds like one of the many butthurt hunters who think that they should be given carte blanche access because they are there to "help" the landowner, but got rejected and is offended because someone had the audacity to charge him to hunt on land that isn't his. What he fails to understand is that while hogs are a problem, they are also a commodity. Not only that, a lot of self proclaimed hunters are a lot more of a problem for landowners than the hogs.

I hunt over a dozen different properties for landowners. I have earned their trust and have a good reputation, which gets me new properties. While we all want a free place to hunt, most people, like your hunter friend, really are not there to address the hog problem for landowners. All he wants it to be able to go out and blast at some hogs whenever it is convenient for him to do so. He isn't apt to be on a landowner's property several nights a week to actually address the problem. He isn't apt to show up when the landowner calls and says 'the hogs are back.'

Every property I hunt right now is a property that has had previous hunters to "help" the landowner and most were not happy with the result. As one landowner told me, the previous guy would come out with a couple of buddies and if they all had 30 round magazines in their rifles and saw a boar, they were shooting 90 rounds at that boar because they were there to rain hell and damnation on the hogs. They came out to hunt every few weeks to help control the hog problem.

The bottom line is that just because you have a gun and maybe night vision or thermal gear does not mean that you are now a hunter who is capable of addressing the hog problem. It doesn't even matter if you are a good shot. Where I see people get into trouble over and over again with landowners is by breaking the trust with landowners.

I had a buddy hunting a cattle ranch where he was to only shoot hogs. Well, no way in hell he would pass up a coyote. Coyotes are bad and he was doing the landowner a favor by shooting a coyote. The landowner found out and canned him...because he did not follow the rules.
Another lost a property because he started bringing his buddies to help take care of the landowner's hog problem. He had been given permission to hunt. He had not been given permission to guide his buddies. Canned.
One guy shot a calf that he mistook for a hog. Canned...failed to properly identify his target. He paid for the calf, but was not allowed to come back.
Leave a gate open and cattle get out or get into a pasture where they don't belong? Canned.
Hunting a part of the property that was off limits? Canned.
Leaving trash behind? Canned.
Camping on the property. Canned.

Similar problems where we hunt hogs for free. Trying to add a third partner, we have been through three hunters. None worked out. One for example came back the weekend after we showed the place, brought a buddy and severely damaged the reactionary targets on the shooting range. Which was another of the free benefits. We then explored leasing an area with an already in place nice third stand and feeder to hunt year round for a small fee under $500 hoping we might get someone with a more serious interest. There were only three rules. Notify landowner on arrival and leaving, back 2/3 property off limits for any reason, and no bobcats could be shot. Despite a nice tower blind and nice feeder in place, free rifle range, and base camp, almost always a shot on at least one hog every trip and occasional deer during season, if there are any rules other than do what they want, no one was interested in paying to hunt. Most stating they would only hunt under those restrictions if it was free. Well we already tried that. We decided it's not worth the risk for someone to screw up the relationship we already have with the landowner so the gate is now closed other than to an occasional vetted guest.

Re: Is there a "Wild / Feral Hog Problem" [Re: GT653] #7839622 05/14/20 08:31 PM
L
Lalo Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
L
Charlize Theron says she is straight.
Yet when I tried to contact Charlize Theron through her publicist to go out with her, I got no response.
Therefore Charlize Theron is gay.

[The above is a fictionalized absurdity meant to expose an absence of logic, and is not intended as a serious comment on the sexual orientation of Charlize Theron.]

Re: Is there a "Wild / Feral Hog Problem" [Re: GT653] #7840040 05/15/20 03:29 AM
dogcatcher Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
welcome

Combat Infantryman, the ultimate hunter where the prey shoots back.
_____________"Illegitimus non carborundum est"_______________

[Linked Image]
Re: Is there a "Wild / Feral Hog Problem" [Re: GT653] #7840171 05/15/20 12:00 PM
1860.colt Online Content
emoji colt.45
Online Content
emoji colt.45
welcome ta texasHF...
As pappy once said :
i gots a problem with me yard, grass keeps growing, for $200.00 ta $300.00 U can come mow it for me... Thars Big Buck$ in hunting...

confused2 thars big Buck$ in hunting...

Done majority of my hog hunts on WMA's, (public land)... Biggest problem tis finding place ta hog hunt...
Seen big drop in hogs over the years since OSBWMA opened up...
It has 3 months Jan-end March any legal meens hog hunts.. The AK's were used first.
Then the AR's, tis what i used, set up for close range... scope over-green laser under, mostly for the set up had South of house. Home made tree lean ladder, edge of trees, set up roughly 20 yrds, ta right by creek, were had deer food plot & corn feeder. & ta left open field, by big oak had smaller food plot, corn feeder & other minerals for deer. They also have hunts with deer/hog archery, & squirrel hog hunts, full month May.
Flooding pushes game off it...

Theirs several on here who have lots of video's with NV & Thermal hunts... If ya have land or permission, (read other posts) i gots cheap posts, confused2 tis your money, how you spend it tis up ta you...

2cents only reason i got on leases twas the 24-7-365 hog hunts... If ya can find a lease with good sign...
bounce miss me hog hunts... did it old school... slinger people at work called me muyloco caveman...
Best wish's...

edit : rofl ya might need an interpiture...
flag

Last edited by colt.45; 05/15/20 12:01 PM.

i'm postaddic
Re: Is there a "Wild / Feral Hog Problem" [Re: GT653] #7840277 05/15/20 01:56 PM
R
RGLass Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
R
A game biologist addressed the audience at a landowners symposium back in the late 1980s saying “There are two kinds of ranches in Texas. Ones that have wild hogs, and ones that will soon have wild hogs.” I’ve always said the army should trap them and air drop them over Muslim countries. Imagine parachuting pigs !

Page 1 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide