Most Online25,604
Feb 12th, 2024
Print Thread
Vertical grip stocks #7835641 05/11/20 03:03 AM
Kyle Horn Offline OP
Pro Tracker
OP Offline
Pro Tracker
I keep liking the looks and feel of the renegade, game warden,ect ect. But not al my shooting is prone at steel. I hunt in the mountains too. Currently considering replacing Christiansen Arms stock..thought? GO!

Re: Vertical grip stocks [Re: Kyle Horn] #7835650 05/11/20 03:20 AM
J.G. Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
Vertical grip stocks provide a better platform for better ergonomics, which provide for better trigger control.

Vertical grip stocks are all I use for all rifles.

Canted grip stocks were originally made out of wood. Couldn't cross the grain on the wood, and still be strong with a vertical grip. We are past that. Canted grip was better for the lumber, vertical grip is better for the shooter. Eugene Stoner got this, McMillan got this, Tom Manners got this. Canted and straight grip belong on lever actions in 2020.

[Linked Image]
800 Yard Steel Range
Precision Rifle Instruction
Memberships and Classes Available
Re: Vertical grip stocks [Re: Kyle Horn] #7835681 05/11/20 04:30 AM
Kyle Horn Offline OP
Pro Tracker
OP Offline
Pro Tracker
Well said. I love telling how it is. So riddle me this. Why are they so damn expensive, but no resale. The cheapest I can fin is greyboe, and I have a like new christasen arms that weights as much as a mouse fart in the moon, it doesn’t sale?

Re: Vertical grip stocks [Re: Kyle Horn] #7835685 05/11/20 04:49 AM
B
BigPig Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
B
I even run a damn near vertical on my patrol rifle.

Re: Vertical grip stocks [Re: Kyle Horn] #7835732 05/11/20 10:12 AM
J.G. Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
Originally Posted by Kyle Horn
Well said. I love telling how it is. So riddle me this. Why are they so damn expensive, but no resale. The cheapest I can fin is greyboe, and I have a like new christasen arms that weights as much as a mouse fart in the moon, it doesn’t sale?

It doesn't sell because Christensen rifles often shoot like chit. And people are figuring that out.

Manners and McMillan stocks resale for 80-90% of retail, I've bought several.

[Linked Image]
800 Yard Steel Range
Re: Vertical grip stocks [Re: J.G.] #7835734 05/11/20 10:23 AM
W
wp75169 Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
W
Originally Posted by FiremanJG
Vertical grip stocks provide a better platform for better ergonomics, which provide for better trigger control.

Vertical grip stocks are all I use for all rifles.

Canted grip stocks were originally made out of wood. Couldn't cross the grain on the wood, and still be strong with a vertical grip. We are past that. Canted grip was better for the lumber, vertical grip is better for the shooter. Eugene Stoner got this, McMillan got this, Tom Manners got this. Canted and straight grip belong on lever actions in 2020.

100% what he said.

I’m trying to do a budget rifle build on a Savage using the factory accustock. I really really hate that stock after having a vertical grip. I’ve got everything done except to load and shoot. It’s been in that state for over a month. I’m just not digging it and have been fiddling with my lever actions again.

Re: Vertical grip stocks [Re: J.G.] #7835844 05/11/20 01:41 PM
Kyle Horn Offline OP
Pro Tracker
OP Offline
Pro Tracker
Originally Posted by Kyle Horn

It doesn't sell because Christensen rifles often shoot like chit. And people are figuring that out.

Manners and McMillan stocks resale for 80-90% of retail, I've bought several.

Ok that’s a bit harsh man kinda proud of my new 300PRC

Re: Vertical grip stocks [Re: Kyle Horn] #7835884 05/11/20 02:13 PM
duckhunter175 Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
The CA Ridgeline stock isn't really lightweight-- it barely gets under 2lbs from the ones I've weighed. Have you taken yours off the rifle? I'd guess its 31-33oz... where most good McMillans and Manners with CF fills are running 25-28oz... a 1/4 to 1/2 lb savings... And they are MUCH more rigid.

As for the ergonomics-- I'm in the same boat-- I shoot a good bit from the prone or from bipod supported in a blind... but I hunt out west, spot and stalk or still hunt a good bit.

I've found a happy medium between a true vertical grip and a traditional swept back pistol grip...

The Manners MCS-T or the related stocks like their lightweight (shorter) EH-4... or even the AG Composites Altitude (sold by Mesa and Redhawk) which is a clone of the MCS-T

They will be lighter, more rigid, semi-vertical, mid-size palm swell... and worth every dang penny

Re: Vertical grip stocks [Re: Kyle Horn] #7835996 05/11/20 03:57 PM
T
TDK Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
T
vertical grip is better for the shooter

Shoot a rifle with some actual recoil, you’ll change your tune. I will agree it’s better for positioning for trigger.

Your theory on why wood stocks can’t have vertical grips isn’t correct. Take an English/straight grip wood stock of proper grain flow and add a vertical grip to it. How does it now become weaker?
Grain flow grain flow grain flow.

If you want to understand how recoil forced are transferred to a stock look no further than a straight/English grip. Furthermore, I’ve repaired many a wood stock and seen failures, most wrist breaks ARE NOT from recoil, but from sideways forces. Of the wrist breaks I have seen from recoil, they actually started forward of the wrist in the inletting.

A.M. Little Bespoke Gunmakers LLC
Re: Vertical grip stocks [Re: TDK] #7836267 05/11/20 07:46 PM
J.G. Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
Originally Posted by TDK

Shoot a rifle with some actual recoil, you’ll change your tune. I will agree it’s better for positioning for trigger.

Your theory on why wood stocks can’t have vertical grips isn’t correct. Take an English/straight grip wood stock of proper grain flow and add a vertical grip to it. How does it now become weaker?

If you want to understand how recoil forced are transferred to a stock look no further than a straight/English grip. Furthermore, I’ve repaired many a wood stock and seen failures, most wrist breaks ARE NOT from recoil, but from sideways forces. Of the wrist breaks I have seen from recoil, they actually started forward of the wrist in the inletting.

Actual recoil?

I've shot a very long list of cartridges from my shoulder, up to and including. 50 BMG. Some were heavy, some were medium weight, some were featherweight.

I made a vertical grip stock from scratch out of walnut, in a McMillan A-5 pattern. The vertical grip crossed 90° to the grain. So, I bored all the way through, made a 3/8" dowel threaded on each end, and squeezed a nut on each end. That's all covered by a grip plate on bottom and the tang on top. It's no pretty work of art like you make, but it is nice looking, and it has held together.

[Linked Image]
800 Yard Steel Range
Re: Vertical grip stocks [Re: J.G.] #7836312 05/11/20 08:18 PM
B
BigPig Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
B
Originally Posted by TDK

Actual recoil?

I've shot a very long list of cartridges from my shoulder, up to and including. 50 BMG. Some were heavy, some were medium weight, some were featherweight.

I made a vertical grip stock from scratch out of walnut, in a McMillan A-5 pattern. The vertical grip crossed 90° to the grain. So, I bored all the way through, made a 3/8" dowel threaded on each end, and squeezed a nut on each end. That's all covered by a grip plate on bottom and the tang on top. It's no pretty work of art like you make, but it is nice looking, and it has held together.

He’s talking about African big game calibers in a medium/light weight rifle without a muzzle break.

Re: Vertical grip stocks [Re: Kyle Horn] #7836348 05/11/20 08:43 PM
D
DocHorton Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
D
I don't understand the straight vertical grips like I have seen on some chassis rifles, my wrist doesn't bend that way naturally, they are very uncomfortable for me. The Grayboe stock I have is very comfortable, but the grip is slightly canted.

Re: Vertical grip stocks [Re: DocHorton] #7836359 05/11/20 08:53 PM
D
djones Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
D
i'm with you doc. i shoot whatever stock came on the gun. i don't rest my thumb on the trigger finger side. my thumb is not that tired. i grab the stock like i'm about to do something athletic with it... pull the trigger and kill something.

Re: Vertical grip stocks [Re: DocHorton] #7836394 05/11/20 09:25 PM
B
BigPig Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
B
Originally Posted by DocHorton
I don't understand the straight vertical grips like I have seen on some chassis rifles, my wrist doesn't bend that way naturally, they are very uncomfortable for me. The Grayboe stock I have is very comfortable, but the grip is slightly canted.

Having broken both wrist, the vertical grip on chassis styles is more comfortable for me. Everybody is different though

Re: Vertical grip stocks [Re: J.G.] #7836956 05/12/20 01:03 PM
T
TDK Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
T
Originally Posted by TDK

Actual recoil?

Metal dowel? If so all you managed to do was pinpoint forces into a smaller area in front of the dowel instead of allowing it to spread out in a larger area. I haven’t shot a 50bmg, but I know many that have. One in particular has also managed to shoot some of the .500ne, .600ne, and .700ne builds I’ve done. On the 600 and 700 he said he preferred shooting the .50bmg with brake. For what it’s worth...

A.M. Little Bespoke Gunmakers LLC
Re: Vertical grip stocks [Re: Kyle Horn] #7837319 05/12/20 05:39 PM
C
ccoker Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
C
I like the vertical grip stocks
I have 4 different McMillans and even on the ultralight 7mm mag (Tikka superlight with carbon stock) I don't find them the least bit uncomfortable.

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide