Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Re: UTV Licence Plates [Re: ZK-315] #7847060 05/21/20 09:06 PM
Z
ZK-315 Offline OP
Veteran Tracker
OP Offline
Veteran Tracker
Z
My appointment is mid day Tuesday. I'll let you know if anything interesting happens and what all you'll need when you go.

The lady was already perturbed at the situation, so I didn't ask her any questions about it.

Re: UTV Licence Plates [Re: ZK-315] #7847509 05/22/20 11:43 AM
D
don k Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
D
You know for a fact that if more and more people start driving them on public streets they will put a stop to it. Especially after somebody runs over some kid and hurts them.

Re: UTV Licence Plates [Re: ZK-315] #7847513 05/22/20 11:53 AM
bill oxner Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
New one on me.

Quail hunting is like walking into, and out of a beautiful painting all day long. Gene Hill

[Linked Image]

Re: UTV Licence Plates [Re: ZK-315] #7847542 05/22/20 12:24 PM
H
Hudbone Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
H
Just one super bad incident - fella hauled his side by sider from his home town to a family gathering at a park up here at the lake. He let someone else drive it. Another person got in the bed of the ATV. While operating the unit, the driver's cap got blown off. He made a sudden U-turn to fetch it. The rear passenger fell out, hit his head and subsequently died.

The lawsuit was heard in the deceased person's county, half a state away. Named as defendants were the driver and the owner of the unit.

Re: UTV Licence Plates [Re: don k] #7847653 05/22/20 02:34 PM
BOBO the Clown Online Content
kind of a big deal
Online Content
kind of a big deal
Originally Posted by don k
You know for a fact that if more and more people start driving them on public streets they will put a stop to it. Especially after somebody runs over some kid and hurts them.

35 mph and under posted roads, law is mainly for residential neighborhood sub divisons, thus the restrictions on mileage area

Per state law if you have ranch or farm you can drive up to 25miles on FM roads with low speed triangle already

Donate to TX Youth hunting program.... better to donate then to waste it in taxes

https://secure.qgiv.com/for/gtgoh/mobile
Re: UTV Licence Plates [Re: Hudbone] #7847654 05/22/20 02:35 PM
kind of a big deal
Online Content
kind of a big deal
Originally Posted by Hudbone
Just one super bad incident - fella hauled his side by sider from his home town to a family gathering at a park up here at the lake. He let someone else drive it. Another person got in the bed of the ATV. While operating the unit, the driver's cap got blown off. He made a sudden U-turn to fetch it. The rear passenger fell out, hit his head and subsequently died.

The lawsuit was heard in the deceased person's county, half a state away. Named as defendants were the driver and the owner of the unit.

No different then a truck bed. Heck most UTV’s now are size of small trucks

Donate to TX Youth hunting program.... better to donate then to waste it in taxes

Re: UTV Licence Plates [Re: BOBO the Clown] #7847680 05/22/20 03:34 PM
D
don k Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
D
Originally Posted by BOBO the Clown

35 mph and under posted roads, law is mainly for residential neighborhood sub divisons, thus the restrictions on mileage area

Per state law if you have ranch or farm you can drive up to 25miles on FM roads with low speed triangle already

Driving a tractor on a FM road is a heck of a lot different than somebody driving a UTV 35 MPH or probably faster in a subdivision.

Re: UTV Licence Plates [Re: don k] #7847722 05/22/20 04:12 PM
kind of a big deal
Online Content
kind of a big deal

Per state law if you have ranch or farm you can drive up to 25miles radius on FM roads with low speed triangle already

Driving a tractor on a FM road is a heck of a lot different than somebody driving a UTV 35 MPH or probably faster in a subdivision.

My tractor will do a lot more damage at 35mph then any utv. I drive my UTV all the time on FM roads legally as it is pre-new law anyway.

But back to new law if you are over 35mph, per law you are speeding. The new law has a 2 mile radius restrictions and it includes Golf carts.

Re: UTV Licence Plates [Re: ZK-315] #7847726 05/22/20 04:13 PM
H
Hudbone Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
H
"No different then a truck bed. Heck most UTV’s now are size of small trucks" The difference is lack of adequate liability coverage and especially so on UTVs not financed. The bet here is most side by sides 6 years old and older have little or no liability coverage. Most home insurance policies do provide automatic coverage for ATV incidents which take place on their "initial" residence premises. Drive it out the gate or out of the driveway and that there automatic liability coverage is gone gone. Most people do not operate their side by sides at their primary residence.

Re: UTV Licence Plates [Re: Hudbone] #7847733 05/22/20 04:19 PM
kind of a big deal
Online Content
kind of a big deal
"No different then a truck bed. Heck most UTV’s now are size of small trucks" The difference is lack of adequate liability coverage and especially so on UTVs not financed. The bet here is most side by sides 6 years old and older have little or no liability coverage. Most home insurance policies do provide automatic coverage for ATV incidents which take place on their "initial" residence premises. Drive it out the gate or out of the driveway and that there automatic liability coverage is gone gone. Most people do not operate their side by sides at their primary residence.

I’m talking danger wise, liability is an individual responsibility. Just like how much liability coverage you carry on any vehicle or property.

Re: UTV Licence Plates [Re: ZK-315] #7848241 05/23/20 01:02 AM
J
Judd Online Confused
#1 Creedmoor Fan
Online Confused
#1 Creedmoor Fan
J
If it doesn’t get you around the drinking and driving ticket, what’s the point? nuts

Originally Posted by Phil Robertson
Don't let your ears hear what your eyes didn't see, and don't let your mouth say what your heart doesn't feel
Re: UTV Licence Plates [Re: Judd] #7851947 05/26/20 08:02 PM
Z
ZK-315 Offline OP
Veteran Tracker
OP Offline
Veteran Tracker
Z
Originally Posted by Judd
If it doesn’t get you around the drinking and driving ticket, what’s the point? nuts

Cuz it's easier to hop in the buggy and drive around the corner to pick up breakfast tacos cheers

Re: UTV Licence Plates [Re: ZK-315] #7851949 05/26/20 08:05 PM
Z
ZK-315 Offline OP
Veteran Tracker
OP Offline
Veteran Tracker
Z
Well I went and picked my plate up today. The lady didn't know anything about the new UTV Off Highway tags, but was interested to find out. She called a few people and found out how to get it done in her computer system to get it registered and gave me a plate.

All I needed was the Vin/Serial number of the UTV and my DL. Total cost was $14.75.

Re: UTV Licence Plates [Re: Judd] #7851969 05/26/20 08:39 PM
kind of a big deal
Online Content
kind of a big deal

Amateur, it’s for when you out run them through the creek crossing and field, this is so they can’t retaliate, when your being your normal role model citizen the next day.

Don’t know about BP but BIL gets heated when he has to run.

Re: UTV Licence Plates [Re: ZK-315] #7852485 05/27/20 01:12 PM
Gumbeaux Online Content
Extreme Tracker
Online Content
Extreme Tracker
I'm going this afternoon to try. Don't run it on the street much but it's worth $15 to not catch any potential crap on the rare times I do.

[Linked Image]
Re: UTV Licence Plates [Re: BOBO the Clown] #7852505 05/27/20 01:37 PM
B
BigPig Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
B

Amateur, it’s for when you out run them through the creek crossing and field, this is so they can’t retaliate, when your being your normal role model citizen the next day.

Don’t know about BP but BIL gets heated when he has to run.

I don’t run fool, it’s going to take a serious offense to get me running anymore.

Re: UTV Licence Plates [Re: ZK-315] #7852512 05/27/20 01:54 PM
H
Hudbone Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
H
"My tractor will do a lot more damage at 35mph then any utv." No, no, no - you don't get it. When operating a UTV, you have legal obligation to your passengers. That's where the majority of the claims come from - people riding in the UTV.

Then there's idjits who take their small kiddoes as passengers and the haul them around on pavement - that's a whole nuther level of lunacy.

Re: UTV Licence Plates [Re: ZK-315] #7852542 05/27/20 02:16 PM
Z
ZK-315 Offline OP
Veteran Tracker
OP Offline
Veteran Tracker
Z
I take my kids with me all around our neighborhood on the pavement. I dont see a problem with it. confused2

Re: UTV Licence Plates [Re: ZK-315] #7852550 05/27/20 02:19 PM
H
Hudbone Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
H
Yeppers

Re: UTV Licence Plates [Re: Hudbone] #7852582 05/27/20 02:40 PM
kind of a big deal
Online Content
kind of a big deal
"My tractor will do a lot more damage at 35mph then any utv." No, no, no - you don't get it. When operating a UTV, you have legal obligation to your passengers. That's where the majority of the claims come from - people riding in the UTV.

Then there's idjits who take their small kiddoes as passengers and the haul them around on pavement - that's a whole nuther level of lunacy.

I do get it, I’ve seen a semi get completely wiped out by a tractor implement,

I don’t see the sub division law with speed limits of 25-30mph, as overly dangerous. Same precautions as in a vehicle should be taken in a UTV, that’s pretty much a given. No different then a Jeep. A vehicle is a vehicle

I’m not disagreeing on Liability coverage, not disagreeing with seatbelts and car seats either.

Not following traffic laws and not being consequence of passages is same in a car as it is in utv.

This law is very specific to general area of a sub division, it’s not like Utah, Idaho or CO where you can get passed on a major road by a UTV

Re: UTV Licence Plates [Re: ZK-315] #7852604 05/27/20 03:11 PM
H
Hudbone Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
H
Passed a golf cart thingie here in New Barnflies. Not supposed to operate them on certain roads, children are supposed to be appropriately restrained and not to be operated at night. We see golf carts where they ain't supposed to be, young'uns loose in their seats and yes, being driven at night. Now we are seeing UTVs and they aren't even part of the ordinance.

I dunno what's worse - getting behind selfish cyclists on small hill country roads with no shoulders or getting behing a durn golf cart.

Last edited by Hudbone; 05/27/20 03:11 PM.
Re: UTV Licence Plates [Re: ZK-315] #7852611 05/27/20 03:16 PM
E
Espy Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
E
Originally Posted by ZK-315
Well I went and picked my plate up today. The lady didn't know anything about the new UTV Off Highway tags, but was interested to find out. She called a few people and found out how to get it done in her computer system to get it registered and gave me a plate.

All I needed was the Vin/Serial number of the UTV and my DL. Total cost was $14.75.

Im gonna get mine next week up

Re: UTV Licence Plates [Re: Hudbone] #7852618 05/27/20 03:19 PM
kind of a big deal
Online Content
kind of a big deal
Passed a golf cart thingie here in New Barnflies. Not supposed to operate them on certain roads, children are supposed to be appropriately restrained and not to be operated at night. We see golf carts where they ain't supposed to be, young'uns loose in their seats and yes, being driven at night. Now we are seeing UTVs and they aren't even part of the ordinance.

I dunno what's worse - getting behind selfish cyclists on small hill country roads with no shoulders or getting behing a durn golf cart.

They should get ticketed-

Breaking laws- speeding, seat belts, child restraints, etc should be ticketed

Re: UTV Licence Plates [Re: ZK-315] #7853065 05/27/20 10:28 PM
Gumbeaux Online Content
Extreme Tracker
Online Content
Extreme Tracker
Went and got mine today. Was quite the adventure. First lady told me what I wanted didn't exist. After a bit of arguing, she went and got someone else. Two more ladies came over. They kind of looked like bouncers.

"Why do you want it?" they demand to know.

"Well, it says that it makes your ROV/UTV legal to drive on the road in specific circumstances."

"No it doesn't" they both reply in perfect unison.

"Well then what does it do?" I politely ask.

"It's an identifier" one of the fine ladies says.

"An identifier for what?" I kindly reply.

They all 3 look at each other.

"It says on the TXDMV site that with a license plate you can drive on a road with posted speed limit under 35 MPH, within 2 miles from home, yada yada yada" I respectfully point out.

"No it doesn't" one of them says. I've now found their leader and spokesperson.

"So what does it say?" I reply with the nicest facial expression I can muster.

"I don't know, but it doesn't say that."

"Would you like to see? I have it pulled up right here." I retort in a very helpful way.

"No" she snaps.

"Okay, can I still get the plate?"

"Sure, but I don't know why you want a license plate for a vehicle that is only legal on private property."

"I'd like to identify it" I respond.

They sold me a plate. $14.75

Hell, maybe she was right. I kind of want to get a ticket now so I can see what a judge says. I'm curious.

[Linked Image]
Re: UTV Licence Plates [Re: ZK-315] #7853087 05/27/20 10:46 PM
Creekrunner Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
'Reminds me of when the woman from TXDMV did an audit of our business, mainly for the dealer plates we had on demonstrators. She told me we were "breaking the law" of a dealer plate by having the aerial devices up in the air in front of our business...on our private property. I tried to explain it was on private property, but then decided to smile, nod, and tell her I'd take them down. I did, until she drove away. I hope our current government is cutting out these kind of idiots. The world needs convenience store clerks too.

...and have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over every living thing that moveth upon the earth. Gen. 1:28
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide