Page 1 of 2 1 2
Welding poll #7827559 05/03/20 04:14 AM
U
unclebubba Online Content OP
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
U
For those that weld, whether welding guru, or rank amateur...

All other factors being equal, which do you prefer?
single choice
Votes accepted starting: 05/03/20 04:14 AM
Re: Welding poll [Re: unclebubba] #7827666 05/03/20 12:51 PM
J.G. Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
What you're asking, with such a broad question is the same as asking "open/boxed in wrench, or ratchet and socket, which do you prefer?"

[Linked Image]
800 Yard Steel Range
Precision Rifle Instruction
Memberships and Classes Available
Re: Welding poll [Re: unclebubba] #7827670 05/03/20 12:59 PM
S
SnakeWrangler Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
S
I've never used a wire welder but wouldn't mind having one....

Originally Posted by Sneaky
I believe in science and I’m an insufferable [censored]
Originally Posted by beaversnipe
Actually, BBC is pretty damn good

"You Cannot Simultaneously Be Politically Correct And Intellectually Honest!"
Re: Welding poll [Re: unclebubba] #7827689 05/03/20 01:29 PM
O
Old Rabbit Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
O
Picked "It Depends". For most of the stuff I do around the house I go with the MIG wire feed. If out in the bottoms or deer lease I switch to Flux Core so I don't have to take a bottle with me. Depending on the thickness of the material I will use stick rod on the thicker material and TIG on the really thin stuff. My welder can do all 3 with the change of a few items and a different gas mix so it makes it easy to switch between methods.

Re: Welding poll [Re: unclebubba] #7827932 05/03/20 08:18 PM
L
LonestarCobra Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
L
I selected depends, it is a wide open question.

I use the process that best fits the job. If it is basic clean mild steel in the shop, I use mig with solid wire and 75/25 gas. It is quick and clean. If it is heavy work, and/or high carbon steel in the shop, I will use mig with duo shield wire and CO2 gas, and run it in spray, or I may opt for stick if it is a small job. I use stick exclusively outdoors, and on any oilfield pipe. I do not like flux core wire, and there is a rod for any application you may need. I do have a TIG, and use it for stainless and when welding drill rod or other tool steels usually when building a tool or some off the wall part for something. Occasionally I will weld aluminum with it, but not often. If I were limited to one process, it would be stick.

Re: Welding poll [Re: unclebubba] #7828134 05/04/20 12:15 AM
U
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
U
Yes, I guess it is a really open ended question. I've had a 110 wire feed welder for forever. It's been great for small jobs, but lately, I've had some thicker steel to weld, and it wasn't up to the task. My neighbor just got a new 220 stick welder and let me borrow it. Initially, I was thinking of getting a 220 wire feed welder, cause I haven't used a stick since I was a teenager, but I may change my mind and keep my 110 wire feed for thin metal, and get a 220 stick for the thicker stuff. Just seeing what others are doing.

Re: Welding poll [Re: J.G.] #7828139 05/04/20 12:21 AM
U
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
U
Originally Posted by FiremanJG
What you're asking, with such a broad question is the same as asking "open/boxed in wrench, or ratchet and socket, which do you prefer?"

Maybe I should have said, if you can only have one.

Re: Welding poll [Re: unclebubba] #7828143 05/04/20 12:24 AM
J.G. Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
Originally Posted by unclebubba

Does it have to go outside, in the wind, ever?

[Linked Image]
800 Yard Steel Range
Re: Welding poll [Re: unclebubba] #7828172 05/04/20 12:45 AM
T
Tin Head Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
T
Yes, I guess it is a really open ended question. I've had a 110 wire feed welder for forever. It's been great for small jobs, but lately, I've had some thicker steel to weld, and it wasn't up to the task. My neighbor just got a new 220 stick welder and let me borrow it. Initially, I was thinking of getting a 220 wire feed welder, cause I haven't used a stick since I was a teenager, but I may change my mind and keep my 110 wire feed for thin metal, and get a 220 stick for the thicker stuff. Just seeing what others are doing.

up

[Linked Image]
Re: Welding poll [Re: J.G.] #7828182 05/04/20 12:51 AM
U
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
U

Yes. speaking of, what did you use to weld the steel beams of your house?

Re: Welding poll [Re: unclebubba] #7828274 05/04/20 02:02 AM
dogcatcher Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
I would go with stick, I have a Miller cracker box that I got in 1970 for $50 at at pawn shop, that is still going strong.

Combat Infantryman, the ultimate hunter where the prey shoots back.
_____________"Illegitimus non carborundum est"_______________

[Linked Image]
Re: Welding poll [Re: unclebubba] #7828379 05/04/20 03:27 AM
O
Old Shakie Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
O
I have had both. Learned to weld on a stick and that is what I am comfortable with. Sold the wire welder years ago.

Re: Welding poll [Re: unclebubba] #7828632 05/04/20 02:01 PM
J.G. Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity

If you have to go outside in the wind, you need a stick welder. I've never used flux core for MIG, and probably never will.

My trusses were built in the shop with a MIG. The columns were welded to the weld plates with a stick welder, and the trusses were welded to the colums with the same machine. All of the welding on the house was done with a Miller Bobcat stick welder, because the job is outside.

[Linked Image]
800 Yard Steel Range
Re: Welding poll [Re: unclebubba] #7828641 05/04/20 02:08 PM
R
redchevy Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
R
Im a self taught welder and I didn't teach myself much lol roflmao

All ive ever used was a stick welder considered buying a wire welder for smaller stuff in the shop, but just don't use it enough. Most of the stuff I work on now a days I find myself struggling to get power close enough to it. If I could go back in time I would have bought welder/generator instead of a plug in, but for the quantity I use it I would probably be better off renting one.

It's hell eatin em live
Re: Welding poll [Re: unclebubba] #7828835 05/04/20 04:45 PM
P
PMK Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
P
learned to weld in my dad's shop using only stick for electric welding, oxy/acetylene for brazing and lighter stuff 50+ years ago. A couple years back my wife/kids bought me a cheapo wire feed from Harbor Freight and I have somewhat struggled on getting a smooth and consistent weld. It sure is easier for using on light weight stuff like thin wall square tubing. If I had to narrow it down to just one, I would have to go with the stick just because I am 1000 times more familiar with using that.

"everyone that lives dies but not everyone who dies lived..."

~PMK~
Re: Welding poll [Re: unclebubba] #7829118 05/04/20 07:57 PM
S
snake oil Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
S
Wire is the only way to go if it's not windy or inside a shop.

"You may all go to hell and I will go to Texas".
Re: Welding poll [Re: J.G.] #7829186 05/04/20 09:05 PM
B
BigPig Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
B

If you have to go outside in the wind, you need a stick welder. I've never used flux core for MIG, and probably never will.

My trusses were built in the shop with a MIG. The columns were welded to the weld plates with a stick welder, and the trusses were welded to the colums with the same machine. All of the welding on the house was done with a Miller Bobcat stick welder, because the job is outside.

Flux Core isn’t bad and it serves a purpose. You will not be in a position where you can’t use flux core, I’m guessing, so I wouldn’t rule out a wire feed. I run flux almost exclusively unless doing body work on sheet metal, then I’ll hook up the gas because it’s cleaner and not generating any heat. Cheap flux core sucks, good flux core is expensive, but is the only way to weld outside with a wire feed or under a fan.

I can’t stick weld thin metal, and haven’t mastered TIG yet but there again you need gas and no wind.

Re: Welding poll [Re: unclebubba] #7829191 05/04/20 09:07 PM
B
BigPig Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
B

Buy a multi process machine.

These are great machines and I have been very happy with my Plasma/TIG/Stick machine.

https://www.everlastgenerators.com/product/mig/powermts-251si-tig-package

Last edited by BigPig; 05/04/20 09:10 PM.
Re: Welding poll [Re: unclebubba] #7830008 05/05/20 02:46 PM
R
Ramhorn Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
R
I am a retired Ag science teacher. Taught a lot of welding classes.

I always taught "stick" (SMAW shielded metal arc welding) first. It takes some time and effort practicing. uTube is your friend. start with 7018 electrodes on good clean steel in flat position just run beads don't start off trying to weld joints. Pay attention to power settings, arc length , drag angle and watching the puddle. I have seen some kiddos with good hand eye coordination pick it up quickly.

If you don't see yourself welding a lot MIG is a bigger investment.

Re: Welding poll [Re: unclebubba] #7831426 05/06/20 05:14 PM
BOBO the Clown Online Content
kind of a big deal
Online Content
kind of a big deal
Stick most the time, I can power down or grab 3/32 rods. Now there is a threshold, fortunately most stuff I fix or build is structural not delicate tig type work

I have miller multimatic 110/220 stick/mig/tig machine. I recommend it for anything but heavy commercial daily fab work

https://bakersgas.com/products/mill...hU1MF6opqxANhYtWGb0KqlJWChBoCPPoQAvD_BwE

Donate to TX Youth hunting program.... better to donate then to waste it in taxes

https://secure.qgiv.com/for/gtgoh/mobile
Re: Welding poll [Re: Ramhorn] #7831859 05/06/20 11:16 PM
dogcatcher Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
Originally Posted by Ramhorn

I always taught "stick" (SMAW shielded metal arc welding) first. It takes some time and effort practicing. uTube is your friend. start with 7018 electrodes on good clean steel in flat position just run beads don't start off trying to weld joints. Pay attention to power settings, arc length , drag angle and watching the puddle. I have seen some kiddos with good hand eye coordination pick it up quickly.

A friend worked at a local welding supplier, he called those the "welding idiot's sticker".

Combat Infantryman, the ultimate hunter where the prey shoots back.
_____________"Illegitimus non carborundum est"_______________

[Linked Image]
Re: Welding poll [Re: dogcatcher] #7831873 05/06/20 11:26 PM
B
BigPig Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
B
Originally Posted by dogcatcher

A friend worked at a local welding supplier, he called those the "welding idiot's sticker".

They pretty much are. They are multi position and super easy to strike plus they work in a drag instead of having to walk the cup.

Re: Welding poll [Re: unclebubba] #7831888 05/06/20 11:38 PM
Creekrunner Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
I can't weld my way outa a paper bag, but our shop employed 70+/- welders/hydraulic mechanics. Some of them had to be ANSI certified for a manlift. I know a good weld when I see it. I finally took a continuing education class after I retired, just to say I tried. All I really learned (besides it's f'ing HOT!) was that some of my property taxes buy decent welding equipment to help kids get a decent job, and I'm all for that. (San Antonio Community College District). up

Due to the recent oilfield debacle, I've hired the son of my fence contractor to build us a custom gate for the ranch. Impressive young man and the work is absolutely awesome. He and his childhood friend (also an oilfield welder) are doing an amazing job. I'll try to post a pic when it's hung.

...and have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over every living thing that moveth upon the earth. Gen. 1:28
Re: Welding poll [Re: BigPig] #7835765 05/11/20 11:38 AM
R
Ramhorn Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
R
Originally Posted by BigPig
Originally Posted by dogcatcher

They pretty much are. They are multi position and super easy to strike plus they work in a drag instead of having to walk the cup.

Yep, that is why I recommend starting with them. Confidence builder, learn to read the puddle, etc. You probably wouldn't teach a kids how to shoot a gun by handing them a 30-06.

Re: Welding poll [Re: BOBO the Clown] #7835966 05/11/20 03:30 PM
O
Old Rabbit Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
O
Originally Posted by BOBO the Clown
Stick most the time, I can power down or grab 3/32 rods. Now there is a threshold, fortunately most stuff I fix or build is structural not delicate tig type work

I have miller multimatic 110/220 stick/mig/tig machine. I recommend it for anything but heavy commercial daily fab work

https://bakersgas.com/products/mill...hU1MF6opqxANhYtWGb0KqlJWChBoCPPoQAvD_BwE

This is the same one I purchased and sold my AC/DC Stick Welder to a friend of mine. It is so much lighter and can do so many techniques. My 3 kids asked me what I wanted for Fathers day, I told them the Aluminum Wire Feeder Gun. Last year they got me the TIG setup for it. I have worked with some fantastic welders over the last 40 years and wish I had half of their skills. Worked with one guy who was building up the inside of a large pump case about 58" across. He TIG welded (Titanium) on it 8 hours a day for over a week with me holding a purge trailer on the outside of the case. Talk about a long week chasing a red glow. Over 15' of weld each pass by 1-1/2" wide with three passes to put on enough to machine back to size.

Page 1 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide