texashuntingforum.com logo
Main Menu
Advertisement
Affiliates
Advertisement
Newest Members
BoozeyBoy, Ddavis9013, BeoWolfHunter, Jack Duke, jhn103201
67106 Registered Users
Top Posters(All Time)
dogcatcher 103,839
bill oxner 71,685
stxranchman 56,283
SnakeWrangler 53,025
RKHarm24 44,585
rifleman 44,451
BMD 41,089
Gravytrain 38,294
Facebook
Forum Statistics
Forums45
Topics433,065
Posts6,514,961
Members67,106
Most Online19,184
Feb 5th, 2020
Print Thread
Panhandle Lease Search #7826730 05/02/20 12:36 PM
Joined: Jan 2012
Posts: 157
Frankie B Online Content OP
Woodsman
OP Online Content
Woodsman
Joined: Jan 2012
Posts: 157
Looking for a ranch to lease or a couple of spots on existing lease.

Re: Panhandle Lease Search [Re: Frankie B] #7833381 05/08/20 01:39 PM
Joined: Jan 2012
Posts: 157
Frankie B Online Content OP
Woodsman
OP Online Content
Woodsman
Joined: Jan 2012
Posts: 157
Must be scarce, I am thinking.

Re: Panhandle Lease Search [Re: Frankie B] #7833974 05/08/20 11:02 PM
Joined: Apr 2008
Posts: 518
B
brokenpole Offline
Tracker
Offline
Tracker
B
Joined: Apr 2008
Posts: 518
No deer up there, I would look in the ballinger area

Re: Panhandle Lease Search [Re: Frankie B] #7834041 05/09/20 12:00 AM
Joined: Apr 2010
Posts: 819
J
jakebunch Offline
Tracker
Offline
Tracker
J
Joined: Apr 2010
Posts: 819
Originally Posted by Frankie B
Must be scarce, I am thinking.


Very.

Re: Panhandle Lease Search [Re: jakebunch] #7834126 05/09/20 02:19 AM
Joined: Sep 2007
Posts: 611
lil_red_ryder Online Content
Tracker
Online Content
Tracker
Joined: Sep 2007
Posts: 611
Originally Posted by jakebunch
Originally Posted by Frankie B
Must be scarce, I am thinking.


Very.


And people tend to not let them go very often


What happens at deer camp stay's at deer camp!
Re: Panhandle Lease Search [Re: Frankie B] #7834268 05/09/20 11:54 AM
Joined: Jan 2012
Posts: 157
Frankie B Online Content OP
Woodsman
OP Online Content
Woodsman
Joined: Jan 2012
Posts: 157
I know there are no deer up there. I have a good friend that lives near Turkey and I just want something to do for a couple of days when I go up to visit. Just sayin.

Re: Panhandle Lease Search [Re: Frankie B] #7837912 05/13/20 02:18 AM
Joined: Nov 2014
Posts: 492
C
Chuckw Offline
Bird Dog
Offline
Bird Dog
C
Joined: Nov 2014
Posts: 492
Who is your good friend?

Re: Panhandle Lease Search [Re: Frankie B] #7838050 05/13/20 11:04 AM
Joined: Jan 2012
Posts: 157
Frankie B Online Content OP
Woodsman
OP Online Content
Woodsman
Joined: Jan 2012
Posts: 157
Actually lives in Quitaque. But nobody knows where that is. Buddy is Darrel Payne. Has the shop across from the farm store on the west end of town.

Re: Panhandle Lease Search [Re: Frankie B] #7839395 05/14/20 04:08 PM
Joined: Apr 2011
Posts: 158
A
AZBear Offline
Woodsman
Offline
Woodsman
A
Joined: Apr 2011
Posts: 158
I don't really think he is your friend if he hasn't found you a lease. He should be a good contact knowing locals. Or maybe people there don't like him. I'd like a lease up there to view the scenery even if there is no deer.

Re: Panhandle Lease Search [Re: AZBear] #7839575 05/14/20 07:29 PM
Joined: Jan 2012
Posts: 157
Frankie B Online Content OP
Woodsman
OP Online Content
Woodsman
Joined: Jan 2012
Posts: 157
Originally Posted by AZBear
I don't really think he is your friend if he hasn't found you a lease. He should be a good contact knowing locals. Or maybe people there don't like him. I'd like a lease up there to view the scenery even if there is no deer.

He keeps trying all the time. He found one last year that was small acreage <200 acres. Didn't have much cover so we passed on it. Local guy in Plainview leased it and never saw a deer all season.

Re: Panhandle Lease Search [Re: Frankie B] #7839585 05/14/20 07:53 PM
Joined: Apr 2013
Posts: 1,578
F
freerange Offline
Pro Tracker
Offline
Pro Tracker
F
Joined: Apr 2013
Posts: 1,578
Yep, most know that there are areas with very low deer density up there. However, if youre at the right place at the right time the bucks can be real big. In 1990ish we were the first to ever hunt a 50000 acre place up there. I hunted all day more than once and covered a lot of ground and had days with no deer sightings. But invariably when I got back to camp there would be one big one brought in.
About what is your budget? WT or MD or both? Its hard enough to find a lease but to find a good one you usually get what you pay for. Coincidentally I just heard a guy talking yesterday about a place up there that was charging in the 7 to 8k a man range.


Keep your gratitude higher than your expectations. RWH
Re: Panhandle Lease Search [Re: freerange] #7839673 05/14/20 09:32 PM
Joined: Jan 2012
Posts: 157
Frankie B Online Content OP
Woodsman
OP Online Content
Woodsman
Joined: Jan 2012
Posts: 157
Originally Posted by freerange
Yep, most know that there are areas with very low deer density up there. However, if youre at the right place at the right time the bucks can be real big. In 1990ish we were the first to ever hunt a 50000 acre place up there. I hunted all day more than once and covered a lot of ground and had days with no deer sightings. But invariably when I got back to camp there would be one big one brought in.
About what is your budget? WT or MD or both? Its hard enough to find a lease but to find a good one you usually get what you pay for. Coincidentally I just heard a guy talking yesterday about a place up there that was charging in the 7 to 8k a man range.

My budget is flexible according to what is offered. That being said there is no way I would pay 7-8k dollars for a lease in that country. I have an affinity for mule deer more than whitetail because I am chasing Kansas WT's during first 3 weeks of November. I bowhunt almost exclusively, so that gives me month of October and 16 days at the end of November into Dec.

Last edited by Frankie B; 05/14/20 09:34 PM.
Re: Panhandle Lease Search [Re: Frankie B] #7839688 05/14/20 09:51 PM
Joined: Nov 2014
Posts: 492
C
Chuckw Offline
Bird Dog
Offline
Bird Dog
C
Joined: Nov 2014
Posts: 492
Originally Posted by Frankie B
Actually lives in Quitaque. But nobody knows where that is. Buddy is Darrel Payne. Has the shop across from the farm store on the west end of town.

I don't know him but I know the shop you are talking about. Small places up here can be VERY productive but they have to be in exactly the right spot. With the new mule deer restrictions we are starting to get some good ones again. That's only going to drive the prices up.

Re: Panhandle Lease Search [Re: Chuckw] #7839788 05/14/20 11:23 PM
Joined: Jan 2012
Posts: 157
Frankie B Online Content OP
Woodsman
OP Online Content
Woodsman
Joined: Jan 2012
Posts: 157
Originally Posted by Chuckw
Originally Posted by Frankie B
Actually lives in Quitaque. But nobody knows where that is. Buddy is Darrel Payne. Has the shop across from the farm store on the west end of town.

I don't know him but I know the shop you are talking about. Small places up here can be VERY productive but they have to be in exactly the right spot. With the new mule deer restrictions we are starting to get some good ones again. That's only going to drive the prices up.

Hunted one of the Burkett places between Northfield and CeeVee for several years.Guys on it weren't as serious as I was about deer hunting. Plus they were all rifle hunters and I was the only bowhunter .Price was very reasonable.

Re: Panhandle Lease Search [Re: Frankie B] #7839806 05/14/20 11:45 PM
Joined: Oct 2008
Posts: 7,657
6
68rustbucket Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
6
Joined: Oct 2008
Posts: 7,657

Re: Panhandle Lease Search [Re: 68rustbucket] #7839867 05/15/20 12:48 AM
Joined: Jan 2012
Posts: 157
Frankie B Online Content OP
Woodsman
OP Online Content
Woodsman
Joined: Jan 2012
Posts: 157
Originally Posted by 68rustbucket

Thanks

Re: Panhandle Lease Search [Re: Frankie B] #7840110 05/15/20 06:04 AM
Joined: Aug 2004
Posts: 17,268
T
Txduckman Offline
THF Celebrity
Offline
THF Celebrity
T
Joined: Aug 2004
Posts: 17,268
I quail hunted all around there in the early 2000s. We hunted a lot of land as our guys cotton farmed a lot and left shelter belts we could hunt. But it started getting bought up from Amarillo guys each year and shrinking. The locals would sit with a 12 pack for days on end glassing for a big muley. 2005 was epic for quail but we didn't have many places. Honest only saw a handful of whitetail ever but we were quail hunting. Once we drove up on a nice muley and they told me to shoot out of the back window. I didn't and was shot next day on same wheat field. Fun times but you need to know folks there.

We ate breakfast in Quitaque before hunts. Wish we could go back in time.

Re: Panhandle Lease Search [Re: Txduckman] #7840192 05/15/20 12:24 PM
Joined: Jan 2012
Posts: 157
Frankie B Online Content OP
Woodsman
OP Online Content
Woodsman
Joined: Jan 2012
Posts: 157
Originally Posted by Txduckman
I quail hunted all around there in the early 2000s. We hunted a lot of land as our guys cotton farmed a lot and left shelter belts we could hunt. But it started getting bought up from Amarillo guys each year and shrinking. The locals would sit with a 12 pack for days on end glassing for a big muley. 2005 was epic for quail but we didn't have many places. Honest only saw a handful of whitetail ever but we were quail hunting. Once we drove up on a nice muley and they told me to shoot out of the back window. I didn't and was shot next day on same wheat field. Fun times but you need to know folks there.

We ate breakfast in Quitaque before hunts. Wish we could go back in time.

Lot of the good deer country doesn't lease because the kids and grandkids hunt it mostly.

Re: Panhandle Lease Search [Re: Frankie B] #7847672 05/22/20 03:21 PM
Joined: Jan 2012
Posts: 157
Frankie B Online Content OP
Woodsman
OP Online Content
Woodsman
Joined: Jan 2012
Posts: 157
Alas, hope is fading I'm afraid.

Re: Panhandle Lease Search [Re: Frankie B] #7860872 06/05/20 03:00 AM
Joined: Aug 2013
Posts: 31
J
JDH875 Offline
Light Foot
Offline
Light Foot
J
Joined: Aug 2013
Posts: 31
I feel your pain

Re: Panhandle Lease Search [Re: JDH875] #7861229 06/05/20 04:18 PM
Joined: Jan 2012
Posts: 157
Frankie B Online Content OP
Woodsman
OP Online Content
Woodsman
Joined: Jan 2012
Posts: 157
Originally Posted by JDH875
I feel your pain

Saw a guy wanting $6k for 2 guns on 160 acs. Some things are a little out of whack in the lease market imo.

Re: Panhandle Lease Search [Re: Frankie B] #7876675 06/21/20 02:33 PM
Joined: Jan 2012
Posts: 157
Frankie B Online Content OP
Woodsman
OP Online Content
Woodsman
Joined: Jan 2012
Posts: 157
"Still a Lookin" elmer

Last edited by Frankie B; 06/21/20 02:34 PM.
Re: Panhandle Lease Search [Re: Frankie B] #7878304 06/23/20 02:57 AM
Joined: Dec 2016
Posts: 324
R
RGLass Offline
Bird Dog
Offline
Bird Dog
R
Joined: Dec 2016
Posts: 324
Book with Plaska Lodge. Better than a deer lease.

Re: Panhandle Lease Search [Re: RGLass] #7878506 06/23/20 11:52 AM
Joined: Jan 2012
Posts: 157
Frankie B Online Content OP
Woodsman
OP Online Content
Woodsman
Joined: Jan 2012
Posts: 157
Originally Posted by RGLass
Book with Plaska Lodge. Better than a deer lease.

Nice place. But I want to go several times a year and take the grandkids and such. I am guessing I would have to stumble across a 10lb bag of $20 dollar bills to pay for a hunt like they offer.

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2019 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 7.7.3