Page 1 of 2 1 2
pistols, red dots, and an astigmatism #7822943 04/29/20 01:19 AM
K
KWood_TSU Offline OP
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
K
So I'm looking at adding a red dot to my pistol, but kind of curious and want some opinions?

I'm right eye dominant and astigmatism is in my left eye, thankfully.
I want to be able to shoot a pistol with both eyes open, I just don't see it happening. If I keep my left eye open, everything is blurry, it won't allow my eyes to focus on anything.
If I shut my left eye, all is good in the world. I'm thinking red dot for quicker target acquisition. I can shoot it fine with at 7 yards with both eyes open, instinctively pointing works. At about 10 yards, accuracy definitely improves with left eye closed.
This is the same pistol in my post for ranch carry. So it will mostly be used on vermin and a pig if i roll up on one while riding around.

Y'all think the red dot is worth it?
Pretty settled on the Holosun 507v2 at that.

Amat Victoria Curam - Victory Loves Preparation
Re: pistols, red dots, and an astigmatism [Re: KWood_TSU] #7822955 04/29/20 01:42 AM
B
BigPig Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
B
I do not like red dots on pistols if shooting fast is a concern, obviously this is just me as there are hundreds of guys who compete with them and are damn fast, I’m just not. Our department is currently looking at red dots for our cart pistols and I am 100% positive I will never use one.

Wade Dews, REALTOR ®
Rendon Realty, LLC
Frontline Real Estate Team
www.RendonRealty.com
WadeDews@gmail.com
214-356-2410
Up to 1% for closing costs for First Responders & Veterans
Proudly partnered with Assist The Officer Foundation https://atodallas.org/
Re: pistols, red dots, and an astigmatism [Re: BigPig] #7823514 04/29/20 04:12 PM
K
KWood_TSU Offline OP
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
K
Originally Posted by BigPig
I do not like red dots on pistols if shooting fast is a concern, obviously this is just me as there are hundreds of guys who compete with them and are damn fast, I’m just not. Our department is currently looking at red dots for our cart pistols and I am 100% positive I will never use one.

Well, I guess I'll find out. Got a couple drinks in me last night and it wasn't too hard to convince myself to buy one.
Purchased a Holosun 407c V2.

Re: pistols, red dots, and an astigmatism [Re: KWood_TSU] #7823532 04/29/20 04:24 PM
KRoyal Online Sleepy
Texoma Legend
Online Sleepy
Texoma Legend
Let me know how you like it. I'm in the same boat at the moment. Picking up my MR920 Friday and will be wanting a RDS for it. Since this is for carry I think I should just roll with the RMR since it is proven, but I've had the RMR before and wasn't a huge fan of it. I like the features that the holosun has. I'd be getting the 407c V2 as well since I do not like dot + donut reticles I just need the dot.

[Linked Image]

Re: pistols, red dots, and an astigmatism [Re: KRoyal] #7823579 04/29/20 04:59 PM
T
TFF Caribou Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
T
Originally Posted by KRoyal
Let me know how you like it. I'm in the same boat at the moment. Picking up my MR920 Friday and will be wanting a RDS for it. Since this is for carry I think I should just roll with the RMR since it is proven, but I've had the RMR before and wasn't a huge fan of it. I like the features that the holosun has. I'd be getting the 407c V2 as well since I do not like dot + donut reticles I just need the dot.

Sage dynamics did some extreme torture tests on the 507 and 508t(which is what I have) it’s proven and g2g in my book. I carry with just the donut.

Last edited by Tff caribou; 04/29/20 04:59 PM.

The very atmosphere of firearms anywhere and everywhere restrains evil interference. -George Washington
Re: pistols, red dots, and an astigmatism [Re: KWood_TSU] #7823649 04/29/20 05:57 PM
T
Tactical Cowboy Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
T
I’m not sure if this will help you or not, but when you’re shooting with a dot, focus on the target and put the dot where it needs to go. It’s completely backwards of focusing on the front sight when you’re shooting irons.

The secret to a long life is to try not to shorten it.
Re: pistols, red dots, and an astigmatism [Re: KWood_TSU] #7823650 04/29/20 05:57 PM
K
KWood_TSU Offline OP
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
K

Will do, I did a lot of research, and I was on the fence about the RMR, but there was not a bad review for the Holosun.
I really don't think their window size is much different though. The SRO looks decently bigger though than the RMR.

But, yeah, give me 1.5-2 weeks and I'll have some rounds with it.

Re: pistols, red dots, and an astigmatism [Re: Tactical Cowboy] #7823651 04/29/20 05:58 PM
K
KWood_TSU Offline OP
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
K
Originally Posted by Tactical Cowboy
I’m not sure if this will help you or not, but when you’re shooting with a dot, focus on the target and put the dot where it needs to go. It’s completely backwards of focusing on the front sight when you’re shooting irons.

I appreciate it. And that is what I do, but with both eyes open, it's still blurry. I close that left eye though, and it all comes into focus.

Re: pistols, red dots, and an astigmatism [Re: KWood_TSU] #7823960 04/29/20 10:45 PM
O
okstatefan Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
O
I have the HE407C-GR v1 on two MR918s and love them. I really like the circle-dot and green is much faster for me to pick up on most targets. I seriously may consider swapping all of my various red dots and replacing them with Holosun green circle dots.

Re: pistols, red dots, and an astigmatism [Re: okstatefan] #7823984 04/29/20 11:01 PM
KRoyal Online Sleepy
Texoma Legend
Online Sleepy
Texoma Legend
Originally Posted by okstatefan
I have the HE407C-GR v1 on two MR918s and love them. I really like the circle-dot and green is much faster for me to pick up on most targets. I seriously may consider swapping all of my various red dots and replacing them with Holosun green circle dots.

Really thinking about green as well. Seems easier to pick up.

[Linked Image]

Re: pistols, red dots, and an astigmatism [Re: KWood_TSU] #7824005 04/29/20 11:30 PM
D
DStroud Online Content
Extreme Tracker
Online Content
Extreme Tracker
D
I have old person eyes so I ordered a Canik TP9SF just so I could try one of the Holosun's on it. I thought about the MR920 but the Canik seemed like a much better deal for just a Pistol to play with. Is there something I am missing about the MR920 that makes it worth almost twice the price?

"Anyone taking up handloading necessarily plays with unknown factors and takes chances. But so does anyone who drives a car,goes to a cocktail party,eats in a restaurant,or gets married."

Jack O'Connor 1963
Re: pistols, red dots, and an astigmatism [Re: DStroud] #7824014 04/29/20 11:47 PM
T
Tactical Cowboy Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
T
Originally Posted by DStroud
I have old person eyes so I ordered a Canik TP9SF just so I could try one of the Holosun's on it. I thought about the MR920 but the Canik seemed like a much better deal for just a Pistol to play with. Is there something I am missing about the MR920 that makes it worth almost twice the price?

It’s like 7 times more tacticaler

Re: pistols, red dots, and an astigmatism [Re: KWood_TSU] #7824050 04/30/20 12:15 AM
S
scottfromdallas Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
S
I love a plain rear sight and a fiber optic front site on my handguns.

Re: pistols, red dots, and an astigmatism [Re: Tactical Cowboy] #7824063 04/30/20 12:27 AM
D
DStroud Online Content
Extreme Tracker
Online Content
Extreme Tracker
D
Originally Posted by Tactical Cowboy

It’s like 7 times more tacticaler

Oh so I would have to wear a Shemagh to shoot the MR920... I think I will just wear a red bandanna and shoot the Canik

"Anyone taking up handloading necessarily plays with unknown factors and takes chances. But so does anyone who drives a car,goes to a cocktail party,eats in a restaurant,or gets married."

Jack O'Connor 1963
Re: pistols, red dots, and an astigmatism [Re: DStroud] #7824098 04/30/20 01:01 AM
T
TFF Caribou Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
T

It’s going to be of better build quality, and the mr920 is going to have more options for upgrades, but I’d imagine both will go bang with acceptable accuracy.

The very atmosphere of firearms anywhere and everywhere restrains evil interference. -George Washington
Re: pistols, red dots, and an astigmatism [Re: KWood_TSU] #7824317 04/30/20 05:27 AM
O
okstatefan Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
O
Here is a video that really helped me understand and better use an electronic optic on a pistol. It is not a trainer, but just some examples of why a shooter might like it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vtT4dd392wI

Re: pistols, red dots, and an astigmatism [Re: okstatefan] #7824421 04/30/20 12:42 PM
K
KWood_TSU Offline OP
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
K
Originally Posted by okstatefan
Here is a video that really helped me understand and better use an electronic optic on a pistol. It is not a trainer, but just some examples of why a shooter might like it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vtT4dd392wI

That was a pretty good video.
And it helps me feel better about my purchase. Basically everything I shoot at will be moving, so being able to watch the target is what I need.

Re: pistols, red dots, and an astigmatism [Re: KWood_TSU] #7824948 04/30/20 09:21 PM
KRoyal Online Sleepy
Texoma Legend
Online Sleepy
Texoma Legend
Just ordered the 407c V2. Found it for $215 shipped. Figured I might as well give it a try.

[Linked Image]

Re: pistols, red dots, and an astigmatism [Re: KRoyal] #7824969 04/30/20 09:41 PM
D
DStroud Online Content
Extreme Tracker
Online Content
Extreme Tracker
D
Just ordered the 407c V2. Found it for $215 shipped. Figured I might as well give it a try.

Where If you dont mind.... they seem to be out everywhere I looked.

Jack O'Connor 1963
Re: pistols, red dots, and an astigmatism [Re: KWood_TSU] #7824978 04/30/20 09:53 PM
KRoyal Online Sleepy
Texoma Legend
Online Sleepy
Texoma Legend
Kenzie’s Optics

Signed up for their newsletter for 10% off first order. They’re going to get your email anyways, might as well save 24 bucks.

[Linked Image]

Re: pistols, red dots, and an astigmatism [Re: DStroud] #7824990 04/30/20 10:00 PM
K
KWood_TSU Offline OP
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
K

Good call. Since they're sold out a lot of places, not like you can't resell and get your money back if you don't like it.

Re: pistols, red dots, and an astigmatism [Re: KWood_TSU] #7825038 04/30/20 10:59 PM
KRoyal Online Sleepy
Texoma Legend
Online Sleepy
Texoma Legend
Originally Posted by KWood_TSU

Good call. Since they're sold out a lot of places, not like you can't resell and get your money back if you don't like it.

Yep, been looking on AR15.com and they normally sell for around $250 used almost as soon as they’re posted up.

[Linked Image]

Re: pistols, red dots, and an astigmatism [Re: KWood_TSU] #7825545 05/01/20 01:37 PM
B
Buzzsaw Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
B
My experience with the Burris fast Fire line has been good. I have a FF III still in wrapper. Thinking about selling it and buying the Trijicon SRO.

Remember the dot will not "fix" your bad eyes. The dot will not be perfectly round. It will have a slight distortion.

If you want it perfect you would have to have your eye doc build you a special lense.

The dot is definitely usable, just a little distorted.

My next will be the Trijicon SRO with the larger window.

My lasers are green, only way to go IMO.

SPACE FOR RENT

Re: pistols, red dots, and an astigmatism [Re: Buzzsaw] #7825871 05/01/20 06:03 PM
T
TFF Caribou Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
T
Originally Posted by Buzzsaw
My experience with the Burris fast Fire line has been good. I have a FF III still in wrapper. Thinking about selling it and buying the Trijicon SRO.

Remember the dot will not "fix" your bad eyes. The dot will not be perfectly round. It will have a slight distortion.

If you want it perfect you would have to have your eye doc build you a special lense.

The Burris is a good optic, but I wouldn’t put one on a daily carry gun. They tend to break pretty easily under torture tests. I would put one on a home defense, bbq gun, or range gun without hesitation though.

Re: pistols, red dots, and an astigmatism [Re: TFF Caribou] #7826253 05/01/20 10:36 PM
T
Tactical Cowboy Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
T
Originally Posted by Tff caribou
Originally Posted by Buzzsaw

The Burris is a good optic, but I wouldn’t put one on a daily carry gun. They tend to break pretty easily under torture tests. I would put one on a home defense, bbq gun, or range gun without hesitation though.

I had a FF3 on a G17 that I used for USPSA. the first one lasted about 3000 rounds. At some point, the emitter lens cracked. I’m not sure what happened; I put in the safe after a range day, and the next time I got it out there were about 17 different dots in the glass. Sent it to Burris and sent a new one the same day. I ended up putting the replacement on a CZ which got traded here and it was working just fine.

The SRO is the best one out there IMO, but it is very big (which is one reason I think it’s the best). I probably wouldn’t put a SRO on a carry gun just because of the size.

I did not “torture” the Burris, but I put a lot of rounds through it, which is more than a lot of folks can say.

Page 1 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide