Forums46
Topics537,780
Posts9,729,060
Members87,042
Most Online25,604
Feb 12th, 2024
Print Thread
Page 10 of 11 1 2 8 9 10 11
Re: Favorite professional athlete of all time. [Re: Sneaky] #7820903 04/27/20 02:47 PM
S
SnakeWrangler Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
S
What was the original question..... confused2

Originally Posted by Sneaky
I believe in science and I’m an insufferable [censored]
Originally Posted by beaversnipe
Actually, BBC is pretty damn good

"You Cannot Simultaneously Be Politically Correct And Intellectually Honest!"
Re: Favorite professional athlete of all time. [Re: Sneaky] #7820911 04/27/20 02:59 PM
BOBO the Clown Online Content
kind of a big deal
Online Content
kind of a big deal
Originally Posted by Duck_Hunter

I’m very aware of how to increase your 40 time (or your mile time, or your five mile time, etc).

I claimed your full of it, because you said “it would be easier...” which means you, today, could train to run a 4.4 40 yard dash, which is absurd. I didn’t say you couldn’t ever run a 4.4 40. I read what you wrote, which meant you could train to do all of those things TODAY. You’re in your 40s and you’re running the fastest 40 yard dash for all the running backs in the 2019 combine? And benching 400 pounds and cleaning 315?

Congrats. You’re JJ Watt with DeShaun Jackson speed.

I mean this sincerely, if you can do all that in your 40s, you are my favorite athlete of all time. That’s the most impressive thing I’ve ever heard.

I never said I could still can run a 4.4’s in my forties. I did say I can still push press 225 in my 40’s. I said I “ran” as in college as a D1 football player as a direct reference to your college mile time, after you told me I didn’t have a clue about college athletics. It’s what I ran when I played in college.. With that said I still lift and could probably get close to my old core lifts if I specifically trained that way. Still squatting 400plus, bench in 300’s and clean jerk 225. My 40 I could probably still get break 5 with not to much effort, significantly less I just don’t have ability to get there with current ligaments issues and joints.

What I actually said, “was” easier for me to decrease my 40 time then then break a 6 min mile. and it is, 40 is fundamentals and mile plus is all aerobic exercise. You don’t go run 40’s everyday and expect to significantly reduce your 40, like you do for your mile.

Previously being JJ watts speed at 6” shorter and 60lbs lighter isn’t really all that impressive, but thanks for the compliment. Shows how clueless you are

Again If you think Peyton Manning is the epi center of Athletic especially amongst his peers, you have romantic view of NFL players, He is tall, slow and weak. He has an arm and a second to none read ability. He isn’t outrunning any on around a corner, up the middle it, etc. His athleticism isn’t beating anyone.

Also I mean this sincerely and have said this before you call someone a liar on a forum, you might want to meet them first...

Donate to TX Youth hunting program.... better to donate then to waste it in taxes

https://secure.qgiv.com/for/gtgoh/mobile
Re: Favorite professional athlete of all time. [Re: H2O Seeker] #7820915 04/27/20 03:02 PM
kind of a big deal
Online Content
kind of a big deal
Originally Posted by H2O Seeker
Originally Posted by BOBO the Clown
[quote=BOBO the Clown][quote=Duck_Hunter]

You’re confusing athleticism as a whole and downplaying athletes to fit your definition. Goggins is an athlete - and a great one - just like Peyton Manning was an athlete and a great one.

Oops I missed up my googling on NFL players #, I was wondering how there where more in NFL then college lol my bad.

I didn’t run that far because I wanted to. It’s not absurd to know you can increase you 40 time with a) learning how to run the 40 b)plyometrics based of you progression in the 40.

Per second knee surgery, I ran 4.44 and 4.46 for Avezzano two different years. And 4.43 electric off the pad. Post knee surgery I still ran 4.51 with for combine with only two months to prepare and at my heaviest weight ever.

I still push press 225 now in my 40’s, but ya I’m full of [censored] lol. Not ridiculous, I wasn’t even in top 4 at my position strength wise, or top 10 on team. Played outside linebacker/safety.

most NFL players outside of skills would struggle with a 6 min mile. Just different ideology muscle wise.

You look at physical spectrum as far as size as athletic, when they do not necessarily go hand and hand. I know guys that got a NFL camp tryouts just of physical size, one didn’t even start.

Before you tell someone they are full of [censored] might want to meet them first. Just a thought

I’m very aware of how to increase your 40 time (or your mile time, or your five mile time, etc).

I claimed your full of it, because you said “it would be easier...” which means you, today, could train to run a 4.4 40 yard dash, which is absurd. I didn’t say you couldn’t ever run a 4.4 40. I read what you wrote, which meant you could train to do all of those things TODAY. You’re in your 40s and you’re running the fastest 40 yard dash for all the running backs in the 2019 combine? And benching 400 pounds and cleaning 315?

I mean this sincerely, if you can do all that in your 40s, you are my favorite athlete of all time. That’s the most impressive thing I’ve ever heard.

I can't find the beginning of this but it did catch my attention. Athleticism, Strength, Speed, Movement, and Conditioning are all aspects that can be trained/improved but have a ceiling dependent upon many factors. I highlighted in red the comment about the 40. The most important factor is mechanics. You can "learn how" to run the 40 and do plyos until your legs fail but if your mechanics are poor your time will not improve.

On another note...the 40 yard dash is the worst 'test' in any sport and the reason it is kept around is for show. I tell athletes if you are running 40 yards in 1 direction on the field something really good is happening or something really bad. You either are beating everybody; got beat; or runing off the field for halftime.

By saying learning how, I’m referring to mechanics, just like learning how to run the shuttle, mechanics make the significant decrease in time. First time some one runs electric off a pad it’s terrible because it’s exposes their lack of mechanics and fundamentals.

I don’t disagree on the 40 but it’s what combines draw as a line item

Donate to TX Youth hunting program.... better to donate then to waste it in taxes

Re: Favorite professional athlete of all time. [Re: Jgraider] #7820927 04/27/20 03:09 PM
H
H2O Seeker Offline
Tracker
Tracker
H
Originally Posted by Jgraider

I can't find the beginning of this but it did catch my attention. Athleticism, Strength, Speed, Movement, and Conditioning are all aspects that can be trained/improved but have a ceiling dependent upon many factors. I highlighted in red the comment about the 40. The most important factor is mechanics. You can "learn how" to run the 40 and do plyos until your legs fail but if your mechanics are poor your time will not improve.

On another note...the 40 yard dash is the worst 'test' in any sport and the reason it is kept around is for show. I tell athletes if you are running 40 yards in 1 direction on the field something really good is happening or something really bad. You either are beating everybody; got beat; or runing off the field for halftime.

How else would you recommend determining how fast someone is? You can have the greatest mechanics in the world, but you can't teach,coach, workout your way to a 4.5 second 40 if you are a 5.5 second forty guy. Won't happen. You also can't work your way to a 36" vertical if you're a 20" vertical guy. You can see improvement, but there's a limit. That's why elite level athletes are capable....they have elite level ability.

Why do you recon they (scouts, etc) make baseball guys run a 60 yd dash at camps?

60 yd test for baseball players is the same as the 40 yd for FB. Give me their 10 yard split and the last 30/50 yds are moot.
How do you test how fast someone is? Film does not lie. Good scouts don't rely on a 40/60 time to tell them if a kid can play.

Your point about the 40 and vert are true and accurate as each can be improved via many proven scientific methods and physiologic triggers. Elite level athletes do have elite level ability...and elite level genetics...and elite level work ethic.

[Linked Image]
Grateful for every sunrise and sunset I get to witness. - Jason
Re: Favorite professional athlete of all time. [Re: Sneaky] #7820935 04/27/20 03:13 PM
H
H2O Seeker Offline
Tracker
Tracker
H
[quote=Duck_Hunter][quote=BOBO the Clown][quote=Duck_Hunter]

You’re confusing athleticism as a whole and downplaying athletes to fit your definition. Goggins is an athlete - and a great one - just like Peyton Manning was an athlete and a great one.

By saying learning how, I’m referring to mechanics, just like learning how to run the shuttle, mechanics make the significant decrease in time. First time some one runs electric off a pad it’s terrible because it’s exposes their lack of mechanics and fundamentals.

I don’t disagree on the 40 but it’s what combines draw as a line item

Not arguing with you at all as I knew where you were going. The start is what gets most athletes. They may be explosive but have never been taught a track start to maximize potential in the initial 5 & 10 yard split or acceleration phase.

[Linked Image]
Re: Favorite professional athlete of all time. [Re: Sneaky] #7820941 04/27/20 03:18 PM
kind of a big deal
Online Content
kind of a big deal
I was just clarifying, then the get to a college program that lasers out 5-10 yard increments and specifically train for those areas and it gets very interesting.

Re: Favorite professional athlete of all time. [Re: Sneaky] #7820961 04/27/20 03:30 PM
H
H2O Seeker Offline
Tracker
Tracker
H
Originally Posted by KWood_TSU
[quote=Jgraider]http://sportsmedforthemasses.com/10-tests-measuring-athletic-functional-performance/

1. Subjective/Objective Self-Assessment (Questionnaire, Body Measurements
2. Posture Assessment
3. Functional Movement Screen/Biomechanical Analysis
4. Single-leg squat:
5. Vertical Jump Tests – Double Vertical Jump (DVJ) for technique, Vertical Jump (VJ) for height
6. Med Ball Chest Pass
7. Acceleration and Agility testing: 10-Yard Sprint, Spider Test, & 5-10-5 Pro Agility
8. Push-up/Pull-up Challenge
9. Core Endurance testing (plank, side plank R & L, prone double leg raise)
10. Sprint Endurance Testing

Keep linking to your personal blog. Nobody cares. Show me where today’s pro golfers can’t do that. Show me where someone on this forum can’t do that? Edit, I already read and responded to that list.

Athleticism is a spectrum, for crying out loud.

Being the best exerciser doesn’t make you the most athletic. Being the least athletic doesn’t make you not an athlete. Insanity.

Oh yes, bc he was trying to slam dunk a basketball lol. He didn't need to jump high, he jumped from excitement. Why do you think that was his best effort at a vertical?

Mickelson is jello soft, any idiot can tell that by looking at him.

Mickelson also suffers from Psoriatic Arthritis and will turn 50 in 2 months. He never was a 'hard body' type but a highly skilled athlete none the less.

The list of 10 tests posted are good markers however even if an athlete can perform all 10 there are no hard and fast indicators they are an elite athlete. I have performed so many FMS/FMA (#3 in your list) on elite, professional, and Olympic athletes who failed but could perform at the highest level of their given sport. Their given off season prescription was geared toward areas of deficiency and potential markers for injury.

Last edited by H2O Seeker; 04/27/20 04:25 PM. Reason: Typo

[Linked Image]
Re: Favorite professional athlete of all time. [Re: BOBO the Clown] #7820967 04/27/20 03:32 PM
H
H2O Seeker Offline
Tracker
Tracker
H
I was just clarifying, then the get to a college program that lasers out 5-10 yard increments and specifically train for those areas and it gets very interesting.

Absolutely and then they have a pro day and scouts from 32 teams and the Canadian league bring chairs and ladders to huddle with a handheld watch at the finish line. hammer

[Linked Image]
Re: Favorite professional athlete of all time. [Re: H2O Seeker] #7821017 04/27/20 04:13 PM
J
Jgraider Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
J

The list of 10 tests posted are good markers however even if an athlete can perform all 10 there are no hard and fast indicators they are an elite athlete. I have performed so many FMS/FMA (#3 in your list) on elite, professional, and Olympic athletes who failed but could perform at the highest level of their given sport. Their given off season prescription was geared toward areas of deficiency and potential markers for injury.

I agree. I got paid to play baseball for a short 5 years. I saw elite level pitchers for example that won 20 games in the Big Leagues but couldn't even bunt a baseball, or get down to first base in under 5.5 seconds. Highly skilled as pitchers though, their records proved it, but very non-athletic. It proved to me that you can excel at your sport but still not be very athletic. The 10 levels of testing I linked show that there is a grading scale, and elite level athletes would score more toward the top, below avg ability folks towards the bottom. How would you know if you're winning or losing if you didn't keep score?

Re: Favorite professional athlete of all time. [Re: Sneaky] #7821019 04/27/20 04:16 PM
H
Hudbone Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
H
I think being an athlete and then being an all around athlete are two different things. Athletes can excel at a particular, singular function.

For example, the hand eye coordination needed for darts is extremely high level.

Re: Favorite professional athlete of all time. [Re: H2O Seeker] #7821020 04/27/20 04:16 PM
J
Jgraider Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
J

60 yd test for baseball players is the same as the 40 yd for FB. Give me their 10 yard split and the last 30/50 yds are moot.
How do you test how fast someone is? Film does not lie. Good scouts don't rely on a 40/60 time to tell them if a kid can play.

Your point about the 40 and vert are true and accurate as each can be improved via many proven scientific methods and physiologic triggers. Elite level athletes do have elite level ability...and elite level genetics...and elite level work ethic.

This is NOT a personal attack, but I'm curious as to what you know that the hundreds of professional scouts and coaches in professional football and baseball don't know?

Re: Favorite professional athlete of all time. [Re: Jgraider] #7821038 04/27/20 04:29 PM
H
H2O Seeker Offline
Tracker
Tracker
H

This is NOT a personal attack, but I'm curious as to what you know that the hundreds of professional scouts and coaches in professional football and baseball don't know?

Nothing personal taken. I don't know anything more or less than a scout or coach but I do and have been fortunate and blessed to have collaborated to help in the decision making process.

[Linked Image]
Re: Favorite professional athlete of all time. [Re: Hudbone] #7821114 04/27/20 05:08 PM
H
H2O Seeker Offline
Tracker
Tracker
H
Originally Posted by Hudbone
I think being an athlete and then being an all around athlete are two different things. Athletes can excel at a particular, singular function.

For example, the hand eye coordination needed for darts is extremely high level.

Let's put axe throwing and corn-hole in there too.

[Linked Image]
Re: Favorite professional athlete of all time. [Re: Hudbone] #7821127 04/27/20 05:19 PM
S
Sneaky Online Content OP
THF Celebrity
OP Online Content
THF Celebrity
S
Originally Posted by Hudbone
"Now his drive is freakish, but that’s obtainable by anyone that truly wants it." Flat out wrong. Lots want it, but few have the gumption & backbone to acquire it.

Then they don’t really want it. hammer

Re: Favorite professional athlete of all time. [Re: Sneaky] #7821170 04/27/20 05:57 PM
H
Hudbone Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
H
"Let's put axe throwing and corn-hole in there too." Good - SIL #3 is excellent at corn-hole and he would look dashing in a Johnsonville Brats jersey.

Re: Favorite professional athlete of all time. [Re: Sneaky] #7821248 04/27/20 06:49 PM
T
txtrophy85 Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
T
So speed knitters and beer pong players are now athletes according to the OT brain trust.

Maybe the list of who isn't an athlete would now be shorter

For it is not the quarry that we truly seek, but the adventure.
Re: Favorite professional athlete of all time. [Re: Sneaky] #7821282 04/27/20 07:07 PM
B
badger2b Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
B

"The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public's money."
-Alexis de Tocqueville
Re: Favorite professional athlete of all time. [Re: txtrophy85] #7821283 04/27/20 07:08 PM
H
H2O Seeker Offline
Tracker
Tracker
H
Originally Posted by txtrophy85
So speed knitters and beer pong players are now athletes according to the OT brain trust.

Maybe the list of who isn't an athlete would now be shorter

Webster says...

I'll leave this here and folks can think for themselves. Of the named athletes listed referencing the OP all qualify in my humble opinion....including the golfers.

[Linked Image]
Re: Favorite professional athlete of all time. [Re: Jgraider] #7821337 04/27/20 07:54 PM
Duck_Hunter Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity

Keep linking to your personal blog. Nobody cares. Show me where today’s pro golfers can’t do that. Show me where someone on this forum can’t do that? Edit, I already read and responded to that list.

Athleticism is a spectrum, for crying out loud.

Being the best exerciser doesn’t make you the most athletic. Being the least athletic doesn’t make you not an athlete. Insanity.

It's not my blog, quite obviously. There are numerous sites where you can go to test a person's athleticism. I didn't write any of them. I can't help it if you can't fathom what it takes to determine whether someone is athletic or not. I keep remembering Mickelson's famous leap at the Master's when he won his first. Must have soared to at least a 5" vertical.

Yes, he was always pudgy. Have you seen him lately? He has a six pack and his calves were the talk of golf for two weeks last year.

Being pudgy doesn’t mean you don’t have athletic ability, and that was my point originally. Like I said yesterday, 70% of the 10 things listed apply to golf. Power, fast twitch muscle, explosiveness, overall strength, body control all go into swinging a golf club. Are they as strong and fast as an edge rusher? They’re still athletic. That’s what I’m saying.

(And vertical is one facet of athleticism. Plenty of nba centers have had poor verticals historically.)

Originally Posted by bill oxner
I just turned it on . I was looking bird dogs in the butt this morning.

[Linked Image]
Re: Favorite professional athlete of all time. [Re: Sneaky] #7821719 04/28/20 02:06 AM
R
Ramball36 Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
R
BOBO is the best athlete on THF and if you don’t agree he will beat you up

Re: Favorite professional athlete of all time. [Re: Sneaky] #7821722 04/28/20 02:08 AM
skinnerback Online Content
THF Celebrity Chef
Online Content
THF Celebrity Chef
Nolan Ryan, because I wanted to be him.

Re: Favorite professional athlete of all time. [Re: Ramball36] #7821793 04/28/20 03:06 AM
kind of a big deal
Online Content
kind of a big deal
Originally Posted by Ramball36

you are still mad about that autograph signing and me leaving early before I signed your little league baseball jersey? Come on Baseballs not a sport anyway....

Somethings you just go to...

Let it go, let it go
Be one with the wind and sky
Let it go, let it go
You'll never see me cry
Here I stand, and here I'll stay
Let the sore elbow rage on

Re: Favorite professional athlete of all time. [Re: skinnerback] #7821839 04/28/20 04:13 AM
S
Sneaky Online Content OP
THF Celebrity
OP Online Content
THF Celebrity
S
Originally Posted by skinnerback

That’s as fine an answer as I’ve seen yet.

Re: Favorite professional athlete of all time. [Re: BOBO the Clown] #7821846 04/28/20 04:20 AM
Bee'z Online Happy
The Beedazzler
Online Happy
The Beedazzler
Originally Posted by Ramball36

you are still mad about that autograph signing and me leaving early before I signed your little league baseball jersey? Come on Baseballs not a sport anyway....

Somethings you just go to...

Let it go, let it go
Be one with the wind and sky
Let it go, let it go
You'll never see me cry
Here I stand, and here I'll stay
Let the sore elbow rage on

rofl

[Linked Image]
Re: Favorite professional athlete of all time. [Re: Sneaky] #7821965 04/28/20 12:49 PM
P
pdr55 Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
P
Originally Posted by Sneaky
Originally Posted by skinnerback

That’s as fine an answer as I’ve seen yet.

Hell, I still want to be him.

If you`re running down my country, man,
You`re walking on the fighting side of me. (Merle)
Page 10 of 11 1 2 8 9 10 11
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide