Print Thread
Deer Jail #7818693 04/25/20 03:06 AM
E
Espy Online Content OP
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
E
I had hogs starting to show up on a hay field.I placed a small hog trap and tied open the trap door. Had at least 6 different bucks and several doe enter the trap. I ended up building a large circle trap that the deer could jump out of and never used this trap. [Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Re: Deer Jail [Re: Espy] #7818908 04/25/20 02:06 PM
L
landsurveyor Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
L
curious fellas

"A hungry dog hunts best." Lee Trevino

www.prospectlandsurveying.com
Re: Deer Jail [Re: Espy] #7818929 04/25/20 02:40 PM
JimBridger Online Content
Veteran Tracker
Online Content
Veteran Tracker
Deer beat the heck out of themselves in those box traps. I took the advise from another member and sprayed the entrance with WD 40. Never caught another deer and the hogs entered it freely.

Last edited by Pappybear; 04/25/20 02:41 PM.

All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing. Edmund Burke
Re: Deer Jail [Re: Espy] #7819119 04/25/20 05:03 PM
R
Ringtail Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
R
I know where you're coming from! About thirty years ago, my brother had a similar hog trap on our deer lease and he had the door set all the way open out in a brushy pasture. One morning as I'm riding down the lease road I glance out toward the trap and think to myself, "Wow, that bull is standing right next to the trap." All of a sudden the trap moves and I realize the bull is IN the trap with the door closed! Not only that but he has bounced the trap around and the trap is upside down with him inside and he is pissed off. He was so crammed in there I cannot believe that he got in the thing! Guess he wanted that sour corn.

I was alone at the lease so I called my brother at work and he rushed over there in about 30 minutes. He had a 4 wheel drive that could get to where the trap was and the plan was for him to back up to the trap and I would be in the back and put a hooked chain on the door and we would try to rip the door off since the trap was upside down and the locking mechanism was messed up.

Just as we got within about 30 feet of the trap the bull who was getting more and more agitated rocked the trap and the welded rebar trap literally exploded into pieces and the bull sauntered out. He was still pissed but he didn't seem to have any cuts or be limping so I checked on him over the next week and he seemed non the worse for wear. Needless to say we, learned to keep the rebuilt traps door partially closed so only smaller animals could go in and out!

Re: Deer Jail [Re: Espy] #7820025 04/26/20 06:21 PM
D
don k Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
D
We normally put road kills in the traps for hogs.

Re: Deer Jail [Re: Ringtail] #7820774 04/27/20 01:04 PM
T
TKandMike Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
T
Originally Posted by Ringtail
I know where you're coming from! About thirty years ago, my brother had a similar hog trap on our deer lease and he had the door set all the way open out in a brushy pasture. One morning as I'm riding down the lease road I glance out toward the trap and think to myself, "Wow, that bull is standing right next to the trap." All of a sudden the trap moves and I realize the bull is IN the trap with the door closed! Not only that but he has bounced the trap around and the trap is upside down with him inside and he is pissed off. He was so crammed in there I cannot believe that he got in the thing! Guess he wanted that sour corn.

I was alone at the lease so I called my brother at work and he rushed over there in about 30 minutes. He had a 4 wheel drive that could get to where the trap was and the plan was for him to back up to the trap and I would be in the back and put a hooked chain on the door and we would try to rip the door off since the trap was upside down and the locking mechanism was messed up.

Just as we got within about 30 feet of the trap the bull who was getting more and more agitated rocked the trap and the welded rebar trap literally exploded into pieces and the bull sauntered out. He was still pissed but he didn't seem to have any cuts or be limping so I checked on him over the next week and he seemed non the worse for wear. Needless to say we, learned to keep the rebuilt traps door partially closed so only smaller animals could go in and out!

That's a story

Re: Deer Jail [Re: Espy] #7820782 04/27/20 01:14 PM
maximus_flavius Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
A Game warden told me that every deer he’s ever gotten out of traps dies.

A hog trap that doesn’t let deer out will kill deer.

No telling how many deer are killed bunhog traps every year.

Re: Deer Jail [Re: Espy] #7820810 04/27/20 01:35 PM
D
Dalroo Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
D
A few years ago I had a doe in one of my traps. She tore herself up trying to get out, and then it got worse while I was working to get the door held open. Eventually she ran out and away, but I suspect she didn't make it long. Since I have been baiting with diesel soured corn, no problems with deer and the hogs don't seem to mind a little kerosene with their corn.

Dalroo
Deep in the Heart of Texas
How about that Brandon!
Re: Deer Jail [Re: Espy] #7820891 04/27/20 02:41 PM
D
Dave Davidson Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
D
I had a nice buck in a trap. When I show d up it went nuts and broke its neck

Without a sense of urgency, nothing ever happens.

Boy, if I say "sic em", you'd better look for something to bite. Sam Shelley, Rancher Muleshoe Texas 1892-1985 RIP
Re: Deer Jail [Re: Espy] #7820939 04/27/20 03:17 PM
Creekrunner Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
I finally cut the top out of mine. I had a couple of doe rodeos years ago. 'Waiting on a large, portable, welded up pen from Ramball.

Love the bull story. 'Sounds like something I'd be involved in.

...and have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over every living thing that moveth upon the earth. Gen. 1:28
Re: Deer Jail [Re: Ringtail] #7820970 04/27/20 03:34 PM
O
Old Shakie Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
O

I have caught a couple of calves but never a full grown cow. After catching the calves I make it a point to check traps every day.

Re: Deer Jail [Re: Espy] #7825660 05/01/20 03:17 PM
E
Erathkid Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
E
I caught a calf once. Luckily I wasn't in town. Heard him bawling from a half mile away. Went and checked, sure enough, the rascall got in for the corn. Also caught a 10pt buck in one. He didnt survive, darnit. I ended up cutting the top off with bolt cutters.

Life is too short, as is. Don't chance it.
Don't text and drive.
Re: Deer Jail [Re: Ringtail] #7825796 05/01/20 05:16 PM
I
ILUVBIGBUCKS Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
I

HOLY CRAP!

Glad he busted that rebar before either of you got hurt! WOW

High fence, low fence, no fence, it really doesn't matter as long as you're hunting!
Re: Deer Jail [Re: Espy] #7837555 05/12/20 09:39 PM
H
Halfadozen Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
H
May have been mentioned but a round pen with a swing gate. Deer can jump out but hogs stay inside. Plus they have feed in case you are gone a couple of days

Freedom is a fragile thing ...Those who have known freedom, and then lost it, have never known it again.
-- Ronald Reagan

Re: Deer Jail [Re: Espy] #7837842 05/13/20 01:13 AM
S
Simple Searcher Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
S
I caught three calves once. They get a bit agitated but have been freed unharmed

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

"Man is still a hunter, still a simple searcher after meat..." Robert C. Ruark
Re: Deer Jail [Re: Espy] #7837849 05/13/20 01:17 AM
S
Simple Searcher Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
S
Found the picture

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

"Man is still a hunter, still a simple searcher after meat..." Robert C. Ruark
Re: Deer Jail [Re: Espy] #7838090 05/13/20 12:27 PM
S
snake oil Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
S
A 6pt. and a 4pt. got in my hog trap, the 4 pt. killed the 6pt. bang

"You may all go to hell and I will go to Texas".
Re: Deer Jail [Re: Espy] #7838159 05/13/20 01:29 PM
D
dlrz71 Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
D
We had one stuck in a lease members trap this last season. He showed up on my cams with a busted up nose and split lip. I don't know how he managed not to break his rack but he was wore out and looked like he had just gone 12 rounds with Mike Tyson. Ok, ok, maybe one round rofl

Re: Deer Jail [Re: Espy] #7838202 05/13/20 02:32 PM
H
HogBranch Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
H
I strung up pvc pipe hanging down across the entrance to mine. No more deer in the trap. Doesn’t slow down the pigs but stops the deer.

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide