Print Thread
Nightforce NX8 issue (re)setting zero. #7810055 04/18/20 03:26 AM
S
Son of a Blitch Online Content OP
Extreme Tracker
OP Online Content
Extreme Tracker
S
Ok, so I picked up a NX8 4x32x50 months about, and while FiremanJG was doing some work on the rifle it was going to go on, I topped my buddy’s rifle off with my NX8 for a weekend hunt. Zeroed at 100 and we were golden.

I get my rifle back from Jason (and everything is perfect), and I slapped my NX8 on my rifle (7-08AI) with a EGW 20MOA rail and set of Seekins mediums. Started to dial it in last week and hit a weather delay. Fast forward to today and I’m putting two shots right next to each other at 2.4Mils high and for whatever reason, I can not make any downward adjustments. When I take the cover off the elevation turret and unscrew the 4 set screws that work with the cam, I try to make adjustments but when I turn that piece that gives you the adjustments for the zeroing, it moves the reticle and “clicks” audibly. When I see videos of people “setting the zero stop” there doesn’t seem to be an audible “click” on some videos. I’m at a loss. I can’t dial it down. Did I bottom it out? It’s driving me mad.

I’m sure there is something I am doing wrong, or perhaps my set up is not right for this...I’m just not sure. Any help would be GREATLY appreciated! Thanks!

Last edited by Son of a Blitch; 04/18/20 03:34 AM.

George Blitch
george@mapmyranch.com
www.SonofaBlitch.com
www.MapMyRanch.com
www.YouTube.com/@sonofablitch
"Keep your aim as true as your word" - GB
Re: Nightforce NX8 issue (re)setting zero. [Re: Son of a Blitch] #7810074 04/18/20 03:55 AM
duckhunter175 Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
It sounds like you have already set the zero stop and the upper clutch plate has been rotated down to set it. When you loosened the four set screws did you turn the clutch counter clockwise to raise it and give yourself the ability to 'dial down'?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O4rqWoW3wR8

Re: Nightforce NX8 issue (re)setting zero. [Re: Son of a Blitch] #7810108 04/18/20 04:49 AM
J
jeffbird Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
J
Remove the turret cap.

Loosen the four screws on the stop, "unscrew" the stop up at least 1/2 rev. or look at the turret marks and guesstimate about 3 mils to give yourself some cushion from what you describe.

Tighten the four screws.

Replace the turret cap and tighten.

Correct elevation as needed.

Remove turret.

Loosen four screws, turn down the stop.

Rather than turning the stop all the way down, I adjust the stop to leave 3 MOA or 1 Mil depending on the scope units of spare room below the zero so it is easy to dial below zero as needed.

Tighten the four screws.

Just make sure to observe how far below zero the stop is set in case adjustments are needed in pitch black conditions.

Re: Nightforce NX8 issue (re)setting zero. [Re: duckhunter175] #7810141 04/18/20 06:23 AM
S
Extreme Tracker
OP Online Content
Extreme Tracker
S
Originally Posted by duckhunter175
It sounds like you have already set the zero stop and the upper clutch plate has been rotated down to set it. When you loosened the four set screws did you turn the clutch counter clockwise to raise it and give yourself the ability to 'dial down'?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O4rqWoW3wR8

That is exactly what I did. However when I “dial down” I’m bottomed out at 2.4mils high of a 100 yard zero. confused2

George Blitch
george@mapmyranch.com
www.SonofaBlitch.com
www.MapMyRanch.com
Re: Nightforce NX8 issue (re)setting zero. [Re: jeffbird] #7810142 04/18/20 06:27 AM
S
Extreme Tracker
OP Online Content
Extreme Tracker
S
Originally Posted by jeffbird
Remove the turret cap.

Loosen the four screws on the stop, "unscrew" the stop up at least 1/2 rev. or look at the turret marks and guesstimate about 3 mils to give yourself some cushion from what you describe.

Tighten the four screws.

Correct elevation as needed.

Remove turret.

Loosen four screws, turn down the stop.

Rather than turning the stop all the way down, I adjust the stop to leave 3 MOA or 1 Mil depending on the scope units of spare room below the zero so it is easy to dial below zero as needed.

Tighten the four screws.

Just make sure to observe how far below zero the stop is set in case adjustments are needed in pitch black conditions.

That’s precisely what I am trying to do...wanted to leave some room “below zero”, as you described.

George Blitch
george@mapmyranch.com
www.SonofaBlitch.com
www.MapMyRanch.com
Re: Nightforce NX8 issue (re)setting zero. [Re: Son of a Blitch] #7810166 04/18/20 11:32 AM
J.G. Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
Mail it to me.

[Linked Image]
800 Yard Steel Range
Precision Rifle Instruction
Memberships and Classes Available
Re: Nightforce NX8 issue (re)setting zero. [Re: J.G.] #7810183 04/18/20 12:11 PM
S
Extreme Tracker
OP Online Content
Extreme Tracker
S
Originally Posted by FiremanJG
Mail it to me.

Sending PM

George Blitch
george@mapmyranch.com
www.SonofaBlitch.com
www.MapMyRanch.com
Re: Nightforce NX8 issue (re)setting zero. [Re: Son of a Blitch] #7810355 04/18/20 03:05 PM
S
Extreme Tracker
OP Online Content
Extreme Tracker
S
Jason - if I can’t get it sorted out here, I might pack it up and send it. Would love to be able to figure this out from here, however. That’s my goal at least.

I tried to upload pics, but it isn’t going through for some reason...but the rifle is shooting amazingly accurate! So that part is going well at least! rifle

George Blitch
george@mapmyranch.com
www.SonofaBlitch.com
www.MapMyRanch.com
Re: Nightforce NX8 issue (re)setting zero. [Re: Son of a Blitch] #7811064 04/19/20 03:03 AM
S
Extreme Tracker
OP Online Content
Extreme Tracker
S
Went through the process one more time tonight and made sure I unscrewed the clutch screws almost all the way. When I went to rotate the clutch counter clockwise, it would click each time I would move it. I saw a few videos and there is no audible “click” when others do this. It moves the reticle when I do it. Tightened the 4 clutch set screws in, screwed on the cover and I am still bottoming out at 2.4mils high of center when I “dial down”.

bang

Last edited by Son of a Blitch; 04/19/20 03:08 AM.

George Blitch
george@mapmyranch.com
www.SonofaBlitch.com
www.MapMyRanch.com
Re: Nightforce NX8 issue (re)setting zero. [Re: Son of a Blitch] #7811152 04/19/20 05:22 AM
S
Extreme Tracker
OP Online Content
Extreme Tracker
S

Video below references my issue in the post above.

Edit: for reference (if it helps anyone to help make sense of this) I still have about 20mil off upwards travel as the scope sits right now.

Last edited by Son of a Blitch; 04/19/20 06:51 AM.

George Blitch
george@mapmyranch.com
www.SonofaBlitch.com
www.MapMyRanch.com
Re: Nightforce NX8 issue (re)setting zero. [Re: Son of a Blitch] #7811368 04/19/20 02:29 PM
J.G. Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
Call Night Force in the morning. 100% sure they will take care of you.

Of course it is EXTREMELY rare for a Night Force to malfunction, but it is going to happen. The handful of times I've spoken to people that needed Night Force customer service, they had nothing but high praise for them.

[Linked Image]
800 Yard Steel Range
Precision Rifle Instruction
Memberships and Classes Available
Re: Nightforce NX8 issue (re)setting zero. [Re: Son of a Blitch] #7811417 04/19/20 03:09 PM
S
Extreme Tracker
OP Online Content
Extreme Tracker
S
Thanks! I shot them an email yesterday. Will follow up with a call tomorrow for sure. They have been extremely helpful when I’ve had questions in the past. I know I’m in good hands. Just eager to get this rig set up! smile

Last edited by Son of a Blitch; 04/19/20 03:11 PM.

George Blitch
george@mapmyranch.com
www.SonofaBlitch.com
www.MapMyRanch.com
Re: Nightforce NX8 issue (re)setting zero. [Re: Son of a Blitch] #7813273 04/20/20 11:34 PM
S
Extreme Tracker
OP Online Content
Extreme Tracker
S
Spoke with NF - tech said they have seen this issue - and it is rare (as FJG mentioned), but serviceable. They are having me send it in to be fixed or replaced. Great support from NF, so far!

Last edited by Son of a Blitch; 04/20/20 11:36 PM.

George Blitch
george@mapmyranch.com
www.SonofaBlitch.com
www.MapMyRanch.com
Re: Nightforce NX8 issue (re)setting zero. [Re: Son of a Blitch] #7813330 04/21/20 12:21 AM
J
jeffbird Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
J
Originally Posted by Son of a Blitch

Video below references my issue in the post above.

Edit: for reference (if it helps anyone to help make sense of this) I still have about 20mil off upwards travel as the scope sits right now.

In the video, the guy is turning the plate the wrong direction to loosen it.

Now I understand your issue better. I just pulled the turret cap off mine. The stop plate unscrews opposite of a water faucet i.e. turning the stop plate clockwise unscrews/loosens the stop plate. There is a small tab protruding from the stop plate, which can be used to help the fingernail push the stop plate. Try dialing the turret clockwise all the way to the end of its range, so it provides resistance. Then with the four screws on the plate loosened, very gently use the tab to push in a clockwise direction to see if the plate will free up. The four screws may have been overtightened causing a friction bind. If that does not free it up, then send it on. Those four screws take very much pressure to tighten, very little.

BTW - the NX8 4-32 is my favorite of all of my scopes. You'll like it.

Re: Nightforce NX8 issue (re)setting zero. [Re: Son of a Blitch] #7814385 04/21/20 09:51 PM
J
Judd Online Confused
#1 Creedmoor Fan
Online Confused
#1 Creedmoor Fan
J
Should've just bought the Vortex if you have to worry about sending it in rofl

Seriously - That was a joke and meant to be funny. NF makes an awesome scope and you will be happy with it...but with all the NF leg humping I just couldn't resist.

Originally Posted by Phil Robertson
Don't let your ears hear what your eyes didn't see, and don't let your mouth say what your heart doesn't feel
Re: Nightforce NX8 issue (re)setting zero. [Re: Judd] #7814491 04/21/20 11:31 PM
Adchunts Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
Originally Posted by Judd

Seriously - That was a joke and meant to be funny. NF makes an awesome scope and you will be happy with it...but with all the NF leg humping I just couldn't resist.

clap

Re: Nightforce NX8 issue (re)setting zero. [Re: Judd] #7814868 04/22/20 04:22 AM
S
Extreme Tracker
OP Online Content
Extreme Tracker
S
Originally Posted by Judd

Lol! Totally funny! I’m very excited to get it back and get it running! It’s an incredible scope!

George Blitch
george@mapmyranch.com
www.SonofaBlitch.com
www.MapMyRanch.com
Re: Nightforce NX8 issue (re)setting zero. [Re: J.G.] #7825547 05/01/20 01:39 PM
B
Buzzsaw Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
B
Originally Posted by FiremanJG
Call Night Force in the morning. 100% sure they will take care of you.

Of course it is EXTREMELY rare for a Night Force to malfunction, but it is going to happen. The handful of times I've spoken to people that needed Night Force customer service, they had nothing but high praise for them.

+1,million.

SPACE FOR RENT

Re: Nightforce NX8 issue (re)setting zero. [Re: Son of a Blitch] #7844836 05/19/20 09:41 PM
S
Extreme Tracker
OP Online Content
Extreme Tracker
S
Nightforce delivered my scope back to me today. They replaced the zero stop. All in all, they had phenomenal customer service, got my scope back within 2 weeks and it is ready to roll! I was extremely impressed. I already loved their scopes, but their customer service is just as quality. Maybe I had something malfunction. Maybe I caused it. Either way, they took great care of me, and I just wanted to follow up to mention that.

George Blitch
george@mapmyranch.com
www.SonofaBlitch.com
www.MapMyRanch.com
Re: Nightforce NX8 issue (re)setting zero. [Re: Son of a Blitch] #7844892 05/19/20 10:36 PM
J
Jgraider Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
J
Excellent news. I'm lusting over that exact NF model you have.

Re: Nightforce NX8 issue (re)setting zero. [Re: Son of a Blitch] #7845052 05/20/20 12:39 AM
J
Judd Online Confused
#1 Creedmoor Fan
Online Confused
#1 Creedmoor Fan
J
Regardless, it’s a great scope backed by a great company. Now go run a bullet through something.

Originally Posted by Phil Robertson
Don't let your ears hear what your eyes didn't see, and don't let your mouth say what your heart doesn't feel
Re: Nightforce NX8 issue (re)setting zero. [Re: Son of a Blitch] #7845809 05/20/20 06:53 PM
S
Extreme Tracker
OP Online Content
Extreme Tracker
S
Judd - I’m on it! smile

George Blitch
george@mapmyranch.com
www.SonofaBlitch.com
www.MapMyRanch.com