Re: Traeger vs Green Egg [Re: ducknbass] #7810879 04/19/20 12:11 AM
J
jskin Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
J
Originally Posted by ducknbass
If you'll settle for a Joe I think Walmart sells an off-brand for like $200 too

You’re on crack! Joe is not much if any cheaper than BGE but has better features! Do you research!

"While we are postponing, life speeds by"

Re: Traeger vs Green Egg [Re: Brother in-law] #7810901 04/19/20 12:32 AM
G
GusWayne Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
G
BGE by far of the choices

All those electric smokers suck

Some won’t admit because they paid out the azz for a cheaply made pos

Or buy a stick smoker

Re: Traeger vs Green Egg [Re: Brother in-law] #7811003 04/19/20 01:48 AM
topwater13 Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
What about the Pitts and spitts pellet smoker? I have been considering this as they are fabricated from steel plate not sheet metal. Higher than giraffe junk though.

Last edited by topwater13; 04/19/20 01:50 AM.
Re: Traeger vs Green Egg [Re: jskin] #7811069 04/19/20 03:08 AM
Superduty Online Content
"The Regulator"
Online Content
"The Regulator"
Originally Posted by jskin
Originally Posted by ducknbass
If you'll settle for a Joe I think Walmart sells an off-brand for like $200 too

You’re on crack! Joe is not much if any cheaper than BGE but has better features! Do you research!

This, BGE had its time, and got passed.

'It's Only Treason if You Lose."
Re: Traeger vs Green Egg [Re: Brother in-law] #7811082 04/19/20 03:26 AM
Greg Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Didn’t realize how expensive these things had gotten. My neighbor a couple doors down gave me his XL bge before he moved out of state because he said he didn’t want to hassle with moving and unloading it and he knew I liked a good steak. I cooked with it maybe 7 or 8 times and it did a great job. Just not as fast/easy as my gas built-in, so I ended up giving it to my buddy. He loves it and cooks pizzas, steaks, & brisket on it all the time.

Re: Traeger vs Green Egg [Re: Greg] #7811084 04/19/20 03:28 AM
Bee'z Offline
The Beedazzler
The Beedazzler
Originally Posted by Greg
Didn’t realize how expensive these things had gotten. My neighbor a couple doors down gave me his XL bge before he moved out of state because he said he didn’t want to hassle with moving and unloading it and he knew I liked a good steak. I cooked with it maybe 7 or 8 times and it did a great job. Just not as fast/easy as my gas built-in, so I ended up giving it to my buddy. He loves it and cooks pizzas, steaks, & brisket on it all the time.

You screwed the pooch on that deal ya moron bang

[Linked Image]
Re: Traeger vs Green Egg [Re: Bee'z] #7811093 04/19/20 03:40 AM
Greg Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Originally Posted by 2Beez

Well, I sure wasn’t using it and I didn’t pay anything for it. Passed it on to my best friend since high school and he really put it to use. (Dax, you met him at the shoot). Wouldn’t feel right charging him for something that was just given to me.

Re: Traeger vs Green Egg [Re: Greg] #7811094 04/19/20 03:43 AM
Bee'z Offline
The Beedazzler
The Beedazzler

Well, I sure wasn’t using it and I didn’t pay anything for it. Passed it on to my best friend since high school and he really put it to use. (Dax, you met him at the shoot). Wouldn’t feel right charging him for something that was just given to me.

roflmao I see why Dax keeps you around you hooligan.

[Linked Image]
Re: Traeger vs Green Egg [Re: Brother in-law] #7811100 04/19/20 03:53 AM
kry226 Online Content
The General
Online Content
The General
For pellet smokers, Rec Tec is where it's at. Definitely not cheap, and definitely not cheaply made. It's built like a tank. A stainless steel tank. And the meat tastes fabulous.

P.S. I've won a couple of small competitions on a stick burner. I no longer own the stick burner.

[Linked Image]
Re: Traeger vs Green Egg [Re: Brother in-law] #7811127 04/19/20 04:35 AM
R
Rowney Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
R
have my stick smoker that makes a great brisket. when i have time and a good pile of wood on hand i fire it up. otherwise i use my traeger, and make damn good brisket. Doesnt matter to me how its cooked, i care about what it looks and tastes like. Plus I do reverse sear steaks quite often, way easier to fire up the traeger when i get home from work, smoke for an hour, sear and eat.

As to the species of exercises, I advise the gun. While this gives moderate exercise to the body, it gives boldness, enterprise and independence to the mind...Let your gun therefore be your constant companion of your walks--Thomas Jefferson
Re: Traeger vs Green Egg [Re: Bee'z] #7811163 04/19/20 06:00 AM
B
BigPig Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
B

roflmao I see why Dax keeps you around you hooligan.

Greg, don’t listen to the this degenerate, he has a nice stick burner that I sold him and he hasn’t used it in at least 2 years.

Re: Traeger vs Green Egg [Re: Brother in-law] #7811267 04/19/20 01:05 PM
M
Mako My Day Offline
Tracker
Tracker
M
Picked up a Kamado Joe a few years ago, and absolutely love it. Once you get your temp stabilized it will burn well for 12-18 hours without needing any additional charcoal added. Everything has turned out awesome steaks, pulled pork, ribs, pizza. You won’t regret it

Re: Traeger vs Green Egg [Re: Brother in-law] #7812268 04/20/20 02:57 AM
J
JCO Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
J
Love my BGE. I’ve had it a few years and unless I break it somehow, it’s made to last a long time. Can’t speak for the KJoe but I’m sure most ceramic cookers do a similar job. Like everything else, they add features as the years go by. I bought for longevity (friend has had one for years), and flexibility. Smoke at 225 to 250 range and steak or pizza as high as you want it. Everything that I’ve cooked on it comes out good and brisket is exceptional. I like the consistent temperature without having to babysit. The pellet style caught my attention but I settled on the ceramic for all the reasons above.

NRA Life Member (Master of Poor Decisions)
Re: Traeger vs Green Egg [Re: snake oil] #7812389 04/20/20 08:52 AM
B
Bandit 200 XP Online Content
Tracker
Online Content
Tracker
B
Originally Posted by snake oil
I never could get the smoke taste I wanted on my Traeger so I sold it. I do better on a stick smoker.

up

Re: Traeger vs Green Egg [Re: Brother in-law] #7812478 04/20/20 12:30 PM
P
Paluxy Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
P
For brisket go with a pellet smoker. I have them all and each has it's place but I prefer the long smokes on the pellet smoker.

Re: Traeger vs Green Egg [Re: Brother in-law] #7812616 04/20/20 02:45 PM
B
Buzzsaw Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
B
best stick smoker is your neighbors

Egg cookers have worn out their welcome

re-tec pellet good, would buy over the egg

good bbq depends on meat quality and prep

go cheap like me 22" WEBBER Kettle

SPACE FOR RENT

Re: Traeger vs Green Egg [Re: Brother in-law] #7812662 04/20/20 03:15 PM
C
Chopped54 Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
C
Ceramic for sure, any of them are more than fine. People will get into brand name pissing matches, overall concept is the same on all of them. I have had a BGE for 8-9 years now and serves multiple purposes and serves them all well.

Wealth is of the heart and mind and not of the pocket
Re: Traeger vs Green Egg [Re: Chopped54] #7812976 04/20/20 07:32 PM
Superduty Online Content
"The Regulator"
Online Content
"The Regulator"
Originally Posted by Chopped54
Ceramic for sure, any of them are more than fine. People will get into brand name pissing matches, overall concept is the same on all of them. I have had a BGE for 8-9 years now and serves multiple purposes and serves them all well.

There are a lot of differences between a BGE and A Big Joe.

Here are some examples. I did my homework before shelling out close to 2K

Last edited by Superduty; 04/20/20 07:33 PM.

Re: Traeger vs Green Egg [Re: Superduty] #7813016 04/20/20 08:11 PM
C
Chopped54 Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
C
Originally Posted by Superduty

The biggest problem I have with the Joe is it is made in China out of lesser quality ceramics, the features of it are nice. I bought a truckload of China made Kamado grills, and again, they work about the same, even the video you posted says that.
I would own any of them, Primo being a contender for me against the BGE. One thing BGE has all others beat for me is the support network. My platesetter got some grease on/ in the ceramic and next time I used it it cracked. Local dealer swapped it for free, no questions asked.

Re: Traeger vs Green Egg [Re: Buzzsaw] #7813018 04/20/20 08:12 PM
M
Mickey Moose Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
M
Originally Posted by Buzzsaw
...22" WEBBER Kettle

I like my Weber kettles but rarely use them.

My Weber Smokey Mountain 22" smoker is great and I use it often.

My botnet is bigger than yours.
Re: Traeger vs Green Egg [Re: Chopped54] #7813022 04/20/20 08:17 PM
Superduty Online Content
"The Regulator"
Online Content
"The Regulator"

The biggest problem I have with the Joe is it is made in China out of lesser quality ceramics. I bought a truckload of China made Kamado grills, and again, they work about the same, even the video you posted says that. Honestly the only other option for me VS. the BGE would be Primo.

You cannot prove KJ it is lesser ceramic materials. BGE is made in Mexico.

Plus the better build qualities of the KJ better than the outdated BGE hands down. You are correct like the video says tastes the same, but I want more features and durability. Hence the belting, gasket, hinge, aluminium air escape top, and the easy clean ash drawer for cleaning.

Read about KJ wattanty as well unprecedented. My ceramic smoke deflector was missing and sent KJ bill of sale and they sent me 2 the next day.Easy Peasy, free.

But hey, YMMV.

Last edited by Superduty; 04/20/20 08:19 PM.

Re: Traeger vs Green Egg [Re: Brother in-law] #7813027 04/20/20 08:19 PM
M
Mickey Moose Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
M
To answer OP's question - not a Traeger.

My botnet is bigger than yours.
Re: Traeger vs Green Egg [Re: Brother in-law] #7813048 04/20/20 08:48 PM
Superduty Online Content
"The Regulator"
Online Content
"The Regulator"
These are awesome!

No way, though. $$$$$

https://komodokamado.com/

Re: Traeger vs Green Egg [Re: Superduty] #7813074 04/20/20 09:06 PM
C
Chopped54 Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
C

Plus the better build qualities of the KJ better than the outdated BGE hands down. You are correct like the video says tastes the same, but I want more features and durability. Hence the belting, gasket, hinge, aluminium air escape top, and the easy clean ash drawer for cleaning.

Read about KJ wattanty as well unprecedented. My ceramic smoke deflector was missing and sent KJ bill of sale and they sent me 2 the next day.Easy Peasy, free.

But hey, YMMV.

I can probably do some digging, it has been some time, but someone did a side by side cut away and showed the differences in ceramics. BGE was solid where as the Joe was porous, almost spongelike. And yes, BGE is made in Mexico, BUT they are made in Mexico by DalTile who has been a leader in ceramics for over 70 years. I will give the accessories a leg up to Joe, BGE doesn't include anything, everything is a la carte. The Chinese ones I had for sale, sold a few on here even, had great accessories as well, all were stainless steel.

Re: Traeger vs Green Egg [Re: Chopped54] #7813098 04/20/20 09:19 PM
Superduty Online Content
"The Regulator"
Online Content
"The Regulator"

But hey, YMMV.

I can probably do some digging, it has been some time, but someone did a side by side cut away and showed the differences in ceramics. BGE was solid where as the Joe was porous, almost spongelike. And yes, BGE is made in Mexico, BUT they are made in Mexico by DalTile who has been a leader in ceramics for over 70 years. I will give the accessories a leg up to Joe, BGE doesn't include anything, everything is a la carte. The Chinese ones I had for sale, sold a few on here even, had great accessories as well, all were stainless steel.

I actually had a Vision grill (China I believe) Costco special 499.00 worked great and no worries. I just wanted a larger Kamado.

This KJ I have had about 2 months is on point. Hold perfect temp for a looong time. Time will tell. I really like the "ceramic inserts as well, held n]by the metal ring up top. Let's the Kamado disperse heat better than my old Vision grill. So far taste is same as long as I used lump oak.

Either way I am happy.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide