Feb 12th, 2024
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: Who and Why [Re: TCM3] #7804732 04/13/20 02:50 PM
JimBridger Online Content
Veteran Tracker
Online Content
Veteran Tracker
In addition to gun lobbying, the NRA also supports Sportsmen’s efforts to petition Fish and Game Agencies throughout the United States to expand hunting opportunities.

All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing. Edmund Burke
Re: Who and Why [Re: TCM3] #7804788 04/13/20 03:38 PM
Gumbeaux Online Content
Extreme Tracker
Online Content
Extreme Tracker
What I've learned is that for every $50 I send the NRA, they send me $75 in junk mail and pay people another $75 in salary to call me non-stop, so I figure they are financially better off without my money. And I can't stand Wayne LaPierre.

I donate to other pro-2A organizations, but not them.

[Linked Image]
Re: Who and Why [Re: TCM3] #7804848 04/13/20 04:48 PM
R
RedRaider13 Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
R
I’m a Patron Life member of the NRA, have been for several years. We need a strong NRA because they are the face of the Second Amendment fight. That being said, I do not like Wayne, and feel several of the board of directors are corrupt (example, Marion Hammer). The stunt they pulled last year at the annual meeting has troubled me and caused me to direct my donations elsewhere.

GOA, talks a good talk but does not fight in the courtrooms like I feel is needed. My opinion.

I have elected to send the funds I would normally give to the NRA to the Second Amendment Foundation. They are the most active 2A group in the courtroom right now. I know several other NRA life members that are doing the same.

Re: Who and Why [Re: TCM3] #7805612 04/14/20 12:12 PM
P
Pitchfork Predator Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
P
I support the NRA. Not supporting them because of their inefficient fund raising is a cop out IMO. If you truly feel that way then you shouldn’t vote for any election candidate.......

Last edited by Pitchfork Predator; 04/14/20 12:16 PM.

Marc C. Helfrich
Retirement Planner

www.insured-wealth.com
469-323-8920
Re: Who and Why [Re: Pitchfork Predator] #7805986 04/14/20 06:55 PM
dogcatcher Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
Originally Posted by Pitchfork Predator
I support the NRA. Not supporting them because of their inefficient fund raising is a cop out IMO. If you truly feel that way then you shouldn’t vote for any election candidate.......

rofl

Combat Infantryman, the ultimate hunter where the prey shoots back.
_____________"Illegitimus non carborundum est"_______________

[Linked Image]
Re: Who and Why [Re: TCM3] #7806783 04/15/20 02:25 PM
F
Flashprism Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
F
I'm not arguing that the NRA doesn't have issues however you have your head in the sand if you aren't aware how effective they are. Giving money to any other organization is like tits on a boar hog useless. As noted we gun owners are becoming less and less of the population and splintering our efforts is the last thing we need at this time. Your false sense of satisfaction that we are some how at a high point of our 2 nd amendment liberties with what's happening around us is foolish to say the least.

Last edited by Flashprism; 04/15/20 02:28 PM.
Re: Who and Why [Re: TCM3] #7806893 04/15/20 04:00 PM
G
garyrapp55 Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
G
mickeyhft, have you considered the rights we have already lost?

Anti-gun politicians mention 1 name above all others when it comes to obstacles in there way of making sheep of us. That name is NRA.

Re: Who and Why [Re: garyrapp55] #7807072 04/15/20 06:40 PM
skinnerback Offline
THF Celebrity Chef
THF Celebrity Chef
Originally Posted by garyrapp55

Anti-gun politicians mention 1 name above all others when it comes to obstacles in there way of making sheep of us. That name is NRA.

That's the truth, like it or not. I support other organizations as well, but the NRA is stronger than all of the others combined. They're not perfect, ol' Wayne's not perfect, but as long as they continue to be on the front line of every anti-2'nd attack they will continue to get my support. The left hates the NRA for a reason.

Re: Who and Why? [Re: Double Naught Spy] #7807235 04/15/20 08:38 PM
G
GreenAggie Online Content
Pro Tracker
Online Content
Pro Tracker
G
Originally Posted by Double Naught Spy
I donate to the Second Amendment Foundation. I no longer want anything to do with the NRA.

I joined the NRA in 2000, was promised a baseball cap (being bald, that is what I wanted) and never received it. For my 5 year membership, they sent me piles of garbage I didn't want or need (2 of the same video, 4 silver bullets, stickers, and other promotional goodies, but never the baseball cap), probably 2 reams' worth of paper asking me to extend my membership starting, no kidding, starting within a month of signing up for 5 years, and were always keeping me up to speed with current events such as critical legislation about 3 weeks after it made news and a couple of times after it had been voted on by Congress.

I honestly would not be surprised if they spent 1/2 the money or more that I paid for joining in trying to entice me to extend my membership. When I contacted them and asked that they stop sending me stuff, they politely explained that such matters were outsourced to another company and it might take a while for them to make that happen. It never happened.

I understand that the NRA fights (when convenient) for our rights. I also understand based on my experience with them that they spend a tremendous amount of money, my money, on trying to get me to give them more money.

As it turns out, my membership money doesn't go toward legislative efforts. Apparently, it can't. You have to make other donations to pay for lobbying to fight for our rights. Maybe had I known that to start with, I would have just given them a donation for that purpose and not actually joined. My money would have been better spend.

I didn't get the cap either. I've renewed since and don't think I've received as much as a window sticker from them as a gift. Still get the renewal notices though. It's not a big deal, but the no cap deal stills irks me. Bald head here too.

Re: Who and Why? [Re: TCM3] #7807998 04/16/20 02:54 PM
G
garyrapp55 Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
G
I asked em not to send me "free" stuff. I'd rather they use my money to represent me in fighting stupid gun laws. I have enough cheap Chinese knives already, somewhere. If I want NRA stuff I buy from the NRA store. I get what you are saying about the hat you were promised and it sucks but there's a greater cause here than covering that smooth head.
I recently brought it to Hornady's attention I got some of their ammo with a primer in backwards, just to be helpful in case that run was in question. I told em I didn't want replacement or anything else, just assisting a company that assists me. They sent a hat anyway, you want it? I have a full head of hair. It's slowly turning white but I still got it.

Re: Who and Why? [Re: garyrapp55] #7808497 04/16/20 09:51 PM
M
mickeyhft Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
M

As someone who has made a living that involves guns for most of my entire life, I am aware of absolutely zero gun rights that I have lost. Maybe others have, and in my awareness that is probably good.

I'm not a sheep and never will be, I'm sorry you are so afraid you might become or have become one. I mean we aren't going to solve this debate here, and really I don't believe there is one. And again, I want to remind you, I have personally sold hundreds of guns to hundreds of people back in retail sales decades ago. So it might be hard to understand someone who knows what they are talking about from the inside that isn't freaking out and never has about gun laws. Anyway....

DFW Roofing Contractor - Priority Roofing
HuntFishThrive.com

We are all in this together!
Re: Who and Why? [Re: mickeyhft] #7808515 04/16/20 10:11 PM
BOBO the Clown Offline
kind of a big deal
kind of a big deal
Originally Posted by mickeyhft

As someone who has made a living that involves guns for most of my entire life, I am aware of absolutely zero gun rights that I have lost. Maybe others have, and in my awareness that is probably good.

I'm not a sheep and never will be, I'm sorry you are so afraid you might become or have become one. I mean we aren't going to solve this debate here, and really I don't believe there is one. And again, I want to remind you, I have personally sold hundreds of guns to hundreds of people back in retail sales decades ago. So it might be hard to understand someone who knows what they are talking about from the inside that isn't freaking out and never has about gun laws. Anyway....

In Texas (out side federal restrictions on CEO properties), so far none, yet.....but that will soon change, especially as one county at a time turns blue with refugees from failed political ideologies, unfortunately they bring those same ideologies with them.

But to answer your question, first tell me what laws your state has preserved in your defense vs those states where the NRA failed at their legal injunction? Maybe NRA dollars and voice is actually working preserving your rights here in TX since you haven’t lost rights like other states....

All it takes in America for us to loose our gun rights, is a blue majority government, and a scaled back military to where there are no veterans young enough to still want to fight for a cause.....

I’m not a sheep because I’m not blind to changing world around me ...

Donate to TX Youth hunting program.... better to donate then to waste it in taxes

https://secure.qgiv.com/for/gtgoh/mobile
Re: Who and Why? [Re: TCM3] #7808590 04/16/20 11:17 PM
W
Wilhunt Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
W
It has been said 2nd amendment rights are going away slowly. That is with many donated dollars going to the NRA, so they are losing the battle? Perhaps we need the NRA without Wayne and his method of operation.

Re: Who and Why? [Re: Wilhunt] #7808600 04/16/20 11:24 PM
M
mickeyhft Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
M
Originally Posted by Wilhunt
It has been said 2nd amendment rights are going away slowly. That is with many donated dollars going to the NRA, so they are losing the battle? Perhaps we need the NRA without Wayne and his method of operation.

Lots on here have complained about Wayne. Now if Con Conahger or Monty Walsh were president, that could be interesting, hmm.....

DFW Roofing Contractor - Priority Roofing
HuntFishThrive.com

We are all in this together!
Re: Who and Why? [Re: mickeyhft] #7809970 04/18/20 02:00 AM
G
garyrapp55 Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
G

As someone who has made a living that involves guns for most of my entire life, I am aware of absolutely zero gun rights that I have lost.

Did you know you used to be able to legally buy and sell full auto rifles same as any bolt gun today? You've lost that right.
Did you know prior to the Brady Bill you could buy a firearm without the documentation required today? You've lost that right.
Did you know from 1994 to 2004 certain popular rifles were illegal to buy? For a time, you had lost that right.
Anyone who thinks our rights are not being chipped away slowly is not willing to accept the truth, in my opinion.

Re: Who and Why? [Re: garyrapp55] #7810059 04/18/20 03:30 AM
skinnerback Offline
THF Celebrity Chef
THF Celebrity Chef

As someone who has made a living that involves guns for most of my entire life, I am aware of absolutely zero gun rights that I have lost.

Did you know you used to be able to legally buy and sell full auto rifles same as any bolt gun today? You've lost that right.
Did you know prior to the Brady Bill you could buy a firearm without the documentation required today? You've lost that right.
Did you know from 1994 to 2004 certain popular rifles were illegal to buy? For a time, you had lost that right.
Anyone who thinks our rights are not being chipped away slowly is not willing to accept the truth, in my opinion.

Roger that. Best start paying attention. Our gun rights are most definitely under attack today, nonstop.

If you don’t defend your rights, who will? Oh yeh, the NRA. Good luck with your elected officials. Are you prepared to initiate violence on those that want to do away with or severely restrict our 2’nd Ammendment rights in order to protect them? Most on this forum will not. There are those that will. Our Country needs more sheepdogs, less sheep. My ancestors would roll over in their graves if they saw how pussyfied America has become.

We are getting too comfortable. It will bite us.

Re: Who and Why [Re: TCM3] #7819136 04/25/20 05:30 PM
J
JJH Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
J
From what I have seen Biden is currenttly ahead of Trump in national polls. Below is what Joe says he will do regarding the second amendment. Better hope the NRA (or GOA) has enough clout!! (IMO, if you don't think your 2A rights are at risk, you have your head in the sand.)

The Biden Gun Agenda continues with these points:
* Ban the manufacture and sale of assault weapons and high-capacity magazines.
* Regulate possession of existing assault weapons under the National Firearms Act.
* Buy back the assault weapons and high-capacity magazines already in our communities. (This would be mandatory, making it total confiscation.)
* Require background checks for all gun sales. (Ending private gun sales and criminalizing gifting or loaning a gun without the permission of the FBI.)
* Put America on the path to ensuring that 100% of firearms sold in America are smart guns

There are many more, and I encourage you to read the entire list.

Here's my bottom line. I have seen folks online chiding that President Trump really isn't pro-gun. I get it. He's certainly not where I would want him to be. Then again, no politician is.

But there is one fact, and it requires us all to be adults and face the reality. He is the best we are going to get. And in fact, he's pretty darn good on guns. Not perfect, but pretty darn good.

Last edited by JJH; 04/25/20 05:31 PM.
Re: Who and Why [Re: JJH] #7820798 04/27/20 01:25 PM
R
Ramhorn Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
R
Originally Posted by JJH
"The enemy of your enemy is your friend"

Yep

Re: Who and Why [Re: Grizz] #7821859 04/28/20 04:58 AM
P
pigplinker Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
P
Originally Posted by Grizz
Oh man, I'm probably going to get it, but I'll answer because to be honest I've always wanted to tell this story in a more public format. I used to guide a couple of high ups in the NRA every year. We were working on doing some official business with the NRA too. This was around 10 years or so ago. I asked them once if they really truly believed we were going to loose our 2A rights and they quite simply said "No." So I asked why they acted as if we were going to loose them at any second and they said "to keep the other side at bay." I asked something like what if they other side is just mouthing off for any and or all of the myriad of reasons that people mouth off about stuff, I wondered aloud if what if the other side is just going to always be mouthing off but we are never, as they had said, actually loose any 2A rights, (at some point I noted that when I was a kid there were no concealed carry allowances, defense of self and home laws even in Texas were very limited, no easy ownership of assault class rifles (a big reason I joined the Army cause I wanted to play with that stuff) etc...basically noting that not only had we not lost 2A rights but that they had greatly expanded even during an age of the other side mouthing off ALOT) and they said "then we wouldn't need to exist." Bingo, I did not renew my NRA membership, did not end up doing business with them (for a number of reasons), and have never worried since about my 2A rights.

So, in short, hell if I know, I'm just telling a story, not saying anyone should say, think, do or anything based off of it, just a story, now I'm going to duck.

I'm not going to hurl any rocks, but I will say this:
I agree in many ways we're much better off now (2A wise) than we were years ago. However, how much of that is because of the efforts of the NRA over the years? We will probably never really know where we would be without their efforts, but I suspect we wouldn't be too happy about it. No doubt there are a lot of greedy douchebags in the organization, but I'll take that over the alternative.

I agree with Grizz. I know they spend a lot of money and continue to ask for more, but what is coming out of the mouths those running for office does scare the hell out of me for my family. I have been a life member for over 35 years. I will spend my money there and worry about bail money later. Just my two cents.

Re: Who and Why [Re: TCM3] #7833117 05/08/20 01:17 AM
F
Flashprism Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
F
Anyone who feels that we haven't lost gun rights would be better of not demonstrating their ignorance, All over this nation limitations on gun ownership is rampant and Texas fortunately is not a prime example. California, Colorado, New Jersey, Virginia etc. have all had unreasonable restrictions on what you can posses from the number, type magazines etc.

Re: Who and Why [Re: TCM3] #7833149 05/08/20 01:43 AM
D
DH3 Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
D
Just like a number of posters on this thread, I am not particularly fond of the junk mail solicitations for donations and Emails I receive from the NRA. I personally believe that there are some individuals in the power structure of the organization that are in it for the money and not the firearms freedom mantra.
I understand the states with (in my opinion) "Big Brother" rules that go against our rights as Americans to keep and bear firearms as guaranteed in the U.S Constitution
What I do not see (YET) is the knock on the door with "Open up, we want to collect your firearms" situations occurring.
Until they begin on a widespread basis, I will not lose any sleep or formulate any contingency plan.

Old age and treachery beats youth and stupid every time!
Re: Who and Why [Re: TCM3] #7833370 05/08/20 01:22 PM
pertnear Offline
"Demolition Man"
"Demolition Man"
I'm a simple guy & a member of the NRA-ILA. I hate the way I'm bombarded with doom & gloom mail. I hate the way they attempt to get more money by offering cheap trinkets as bribery. I hate those questionnaires with obvious gun rights answers. The last NRA phone call I received I was pretty rude to the guy. Like large, successful organizations the NRA suffers from some corruption & squandered funds. Sadly that seems to be the new American way. I know there are other pro-2A organizations, BUT the NRA is the best we got. I sent another check this week in their provided prepaid envelope.

"Who controls the past controls the future. Who controls the present controls the past.” - George Orwell
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide