Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Re: price of leases [Re: brokenpole] #7799220 04/08/20 01:56 AM
Txhunter65 Online Content
Veteran Tracker
Online Content
Veteran Tracker
Originally Posted by brokenpole
As a landowner I will say this, I don’t want you on my land but you are willing to pay a ridiculous price so I will take your money, if you don’t like it there is another to take your place at even a higher price, thanks

Wow.

Re: price of leases [Re: brokenpole] #7799281 04/08/20 02:38 AM
W
Wilhunt Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
W
As a landowner I will say this, I don’t want you on my land but you are willing to pay a ridiculous price so I will take your money, if you don’t like it there is another to take your place at even a higher price, thanks

So it is not always the hunter with the attitude.

Re: price of leases [Re: Wilhunt] #7799353 04/08/20 03:31 AM
68rustbucket Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
Originally Posted by Wilhunt

So it is not always the hunter with the attitude.

I concur

Re: price of leases [Re: brokenpole] #7799455 04/08/20 11:10 AM
H
HWY72 Offline
Tracker
Tracker
H

If you would invest a bit of effort to find some hunters you may actually want on your land, those that would help improve the place, then you may look on it differently.

Re: price of leases [Re: brokenpole] #7799493 04/08/20 12:35 PM
H
Hudbone Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
H
"As a landowner I will say this, I don’t want you on my land but you are willing to pay a ridiculous price so I will take your money, if you don’t like it there is another to take your place at even a higher price, thanks" Perfect words, well said. Nothing wrong with 'em. This isn't an attitude, it's true fact. There's a price for everything. If LO's didn't want or otherwise need the $, they wouldn't be letting others on it.

Some seem to think that because we have a nice kitchen we should be wiling to let others come rent it and do as they please. Few things more powerful or coveted than ownership.

Re: price of leases [Re: booskay] #7799511 04/08/20 12:57 PM
F
fishdfly Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
F
"As a landowner I will say this, I don’t want you on my land but you are willing to pay a ridiculous price so I will take your money, if you don’t like it there is another to take your place at even a higher price, thanks"

Any chance this was an attempt at "satire"?

Re: price of leases [Re: fishdfly] #7799517 04/08/20 01:06 PM
D
don k Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
D
Originally Posted by fishdfly
"As a landowner I will say this, I don’t want you on my land but you are willing to pay a ridiculous price so I will take your money, if you don’t like it there is another to take your place at even a higher price, thanks"

Probably more truth to it than most think. If it wasn't for the money probably very few would let others on their land to hunt.

Re: price of leases [Re: booskay] #7799531 04/08/20 01:25 PM
D
dr_pepp Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
D
A deer lease is just a financial transaction. Most financial transactions are simple and straight forward. Others can be more complicated. Emotional attachment on either side of a transaction can add to a lot of drama. In my experience, deer leases tend to have a lot of drama (on both sides of the transaction) when compared to most other transactions. Whether satire or not, the landowner comment and hunters reaction to it illustrate this. Ironic that most of us want to go to the lease to get away from drama, but on some leases the drama factor can be pretty high. Life is too short for a lot of unnecessary drama. My current lease is on a ranch owned by a foreign investment group, so there is no landowner drama. They may raise the price or change the terms, but it is strictly business to them. They are emotionally attached to money, not the land.

Re: price of leases [Re: booskay] #7799606 04/08/20 02:24 PM
F
fishdfly Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
F
"Probably more truth to it than most think. If it wasn't for the money probably very few would let others on their land to hunt."

I have to agree.

My Father typed a set of rules for the place for friends of his to follow when hunting, i.e, 5 points or more, no loaded guns in vehicles, no loaded guns in the house, no walking around in the woods, stay in the blind unless trailing a deer, etc. There were some who did not come back. One said he had missed a deer, I found it gutted and laying over a log, it was a 3 point.

When I worked, I worked in a blue collar industry, petrochemical.

It was interesting to sit in the control room and listen to the guys talk about their leases and the interaction of the members of the different leases. The leases ranged from "guys" only lease, to adults only, to family's.

The guys would talk about the different rules on their leases, for the most part the rules set by the landowners seemed reasonable.

Some of the rules set by the "lease boss" went from reasonable to the absurd. On one lease the members were not allowed to talk with the landowner. Most had work days and if a person did not attend they were assessed a penalty fee. One lease, the "lease boss" hunted free, the other embers paid his way.

Leasing has changed a lot from the 60's to what it is today, some for the better and some for the worse.

Re: price of leases [Re: brokenpole] #7799616 04/08/20 02:32 PM
M
majekman Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
M
Not trying to be a smart arse but...Yep...golden rule theory. Those that have the gold make the rules. Don’t like it? It’s very simple, buy your own place.

Re: price of leases [Re: booskay] #7799617 04/08/20 02:32 PM
Txhunter65 Online Content
Veteran Tracker
Online Content
Veteran Tracker
It’s unfortunate leasing land is no different than any other transaction in life, you encounter every aspect of human being across spectrum on both sides of the transaction.

Re: price of leases [Re: fishdfly] #7799701 04/08/20 03:34 PM
T
Txduckman Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
T
Originally Posted by fishdfly

I assume he is a new landowner so it is all about the money as he just bought it to hunt himself. He never intends to ever lease it out in the first place so they are mouthing off.

Our landowner has free and clear land thats been in family for a few generations so he rather lease to good guys like us and not douche bags who have offered him 2 to 3x what we pay. We have been there almost 20 years now so must be doing something right. Price changed 3 times in that time. Our kids do all the hunting now. Our price is not going down though.

Re: price of leases [Re: booskay] #7799941 04/08/20 06:07 PM
W
Wilhunt Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
W
Like Txduckman our landowner has 4 or 5 other ranches that have hunters on some of them. In conversations with him I know that all is not perfect with all hunters. He has mentioned making hunters leave the property immediately when they have broken a rule or simply just used poor judgement.
By the same token he is not unreasonable at all and has respect for hunters as well. Having been on the same lease for going on the 19 th year with only two price increases is an indication of the fairness on his part. Without a doubt he could get more money for our lease but I think it is worth something to him to have hunters he can depend on to do the right thing.

Which landowner is going to have the best overall operation. The one I have described are the one who has no respect for his hunters?

Re: price of leases [Re: Wilhunt] #7799957 04/08/20 06:15 PM
F
freerange Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
F
Originally Posted by Wilhunt
Like Txduckman our landowner has 4 or 5 other ranches that have hunters on some of them. In conversations with him I know that all is not perfect with all hunters. He has mentioned making hunters leave the property immediately when they have broken a rule or simply just used poor judgement.
By the same token he is not unreasonable at all and has respect for hunters as well. Having been on the same lease for going on the 19 th year with only two price increases is an indication of the fairness on his part. Without a doubt he could get more money for our lease but I think it is worth something to him to have hunters he can depend on to do the right thing.

Which landowner is going to have the best overall operation. The one I have described are the one who has no respect for his hunters?

^^^Very similar to my experiences.

At some point in life its time to quit chasing the pot of gold and just enjoy the rainbow. FR
Keep your gratitude higher than your expectations. RWH
Re: price of leases [Re: dr_pepp] #7800105 04/08/20 08:15 PM
H
Halfadozen Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
H
Originally Posted by dr_pepp
A deer lease is just a financial transaction. Most financial transactions are simple and straight forward. Others can be more complicated. Emotional attachment on either side of a transaction can add to a lot of drama. In my experience, deer leases tend to have a lot of drama (on both sides of the transaction) when compared to most other transactions. Whether satire or not, the landowner comment and hunters reaction to it illustrate this. Ironic that most of us want to go to the lease to get away from drama, but on some leases the drama factor can be pretty high. Life is too short for a lot of unnecessary drama. My current lease is on a ranch owned by a foreign investment group, so there is no landowner drama. They may raise the price or change the terms, but it is strictly business to them. They are emotionally attached to money, not the land.

Agreed sir, we have a large lease with a lot of members. Drama is inevitable so our small group stays away from all of that.

Freedom is a fragile thing ...Those who have known freedom, and then lost it, have never known it again.
-- Ronald Reagan

Re: price of leases [Re: booskay] #7800173 04/08/20 09:21 PM
tlk Online Happy
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Happy
THF Trophy Hunter
I serve as lease boss on a large lease. The deer lease is a place to go to get away from drama. Anyone brings it to our place and they will not last long.

This is why we carefully spell out everything to prospective members. Very straight forward and logical written rules that each hunters signs off on up front. Keeps us a happy camp.

Our LO expects us to act like mature, grown adults and we do. Been a great long term relationship.

Last edited by tlk; 04/08/20 09:21 PM.

You can't fix stupid
Re: price of leases [Re: tlk] #7800208 04/08/20 09:47 PM
M
majekman Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
M
Originally Posted by tlk
I serve as lease boss on a large lease. The deer lease is a place to go to get away from drama. Anyone brings it to our place and they will not last long.

This is why we carefully spell out everything to prospective members. Very straight forward and logical written rules that each hunters signs off on up front. Keeps us a happy camp.

Our LO expects us to act like mature, grown adults and we do. Been a great long term relationship.

tlk...I know the size and cost of your lease from your postings. IMO 10 people that pay say $15k per gun on a 10Kac lease are much more likely to have more personal self restraint and less drama than say 10 people on a $2k per gun lease....in the end it’s all about fun but the fellows paying 15K are in it for very different reasons than the fellows paying 2K.....Jmo

Re: price of leases [Re: booskay] #7800219 04/08/20 09:55 PM
R
Russ79 Offline
Tracker
Tracker
R
With all the drama that seems to be associated between land owner and lease members I am glad that I lease timber company land in east Texas. My landowner is a "nameless", faceless entity who's rules are simple- don't cut down a pine tree, don't trash the place up, and don't break the game laws Follow those rules and you will have it pretty much as long as you want it. And no worries about getting that "call"- the land has been sold or the landowner has died and you have a month to get your stuff off.

Re: price of leases [Re: majekman] #7800237 04/08/20 10:07 PM
F
freerange Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
F
Originally Posted by majekman
Originally Posted by tlk

tlk...I know the size and cost of your lease from your postings. IMO 10 people that pay say $15k per gun on a 10Kac lease are much more likely to have more personal self restraint and less drama than say 10 people on a $2k per gun lease....in the end it’s all about fun but the fellows paying 15K are in it for very different reasons than the fellows paying 2K.....Jmo

Majekman, there is a lot of logic to your comments. However, you would probably agree that paying a lot of money for a lease does not necessarily eliminate drama. Paying large sums of money to hunt is going to mean very high expectations. If, for whatever reason, those expectations arent met or if someone jeopardizes another members opportunity then the drama could get real high real quick. That is in theory, but I know a fair amount about tlks situation as well and from what I can surmise he has to work at it to insure no drama. Recruiting the right guys in the first place, and then as he said, having rules and enforcing them. Slip sliding off topic a little, but an interesting thread. Anything to keep me outa the Off Topic section.

At some point in life its time to quit chasing the pot of gold and just enjoy the rainbow. FR
Keep your gratitude higher than your expectations. RWH
Re: price of leases [Re: booskay] #7800269 04/08/20 10:34 PM
B
brokenpole Offline
Tracker
Tracker
B
LOL, I like the way the way this thread has went, understand this! You guys are additional income, nothing more, if you think that I would give you access to my land in the good ole boy shake your crazy, that’s a thing of the past, land is expensive and only going higher, we can talk about family times and all that, or the guys that get falling down drunk because they are at the “deer lease”, population continues to grow,this little outbreak that we just had proves that you would rather be on your deer lease than in Dallas, guess what I would rather you be in Dallas

Re: price of leases [Re: brokenpole] #7800279 04/08/20 10:39 PM
M
majekman Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
M
LOL, I like the way the way this thread has went, understand this! You guys are additional income, nothing more, if you think that I would give you access to my land in the good ole boy shake your crazy, that’s a thing of the past, land is expensive and only going higher, we can talk about family times and all that, or the guys that get falling down drunk because they are at the “deer lease”, population continues to grow,this little outbreak that we just had proves that you would rather be on your deer lease than in Dallas, guess what I would rather you be in Dallas

Lol...need to change your screen name to Butter....cause you on a roll
cheers

Re: price of leases [Re: majekman] #7800301 04/08/20 11:01 PM
tlk Online Happy
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Happy
THF Trophy Hunter
Originally Posted by tlk

No argument with your post at all - that is why I have always said on this forum - find a lease that fits what you are looking for - if it is meat then get a cheap hill country lease - nothing wrong with that at all - I was there in my earlier life.

If you want to hunt trophy deer then find that place - it is all relative. But think about it - most folks willing and able to pay top dollar for a quality lease are usually those who are self employed, run businesses, and experienced hunters. They are use to calling the shots -

So finding the right fit of members who agree with and buy into the program is not easy - believe me. So I spend hours upon hours trying to find the right fit for our particular lease. Not complaining - I love it.

Last edited by tlk; 04/08/20 11:06 PM.

You can't fix stupid
Re: price of leases [Re: booskay] #7800316 04/08/20 11:10 PM
E
Erny Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
E
I would be surprised if lease prices drop. But, I am expecting there to be more leases/spots available normal. I am already seeing some pretty good deals on guided hunts.

Re: price of leases [Re: majekman] #7800414 04/09/20 12:43 AM
W
Wilhunt Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
W

Lol...need to change your screen name to Butter....cause you on a roll
cheers

Majekman, you are too nice. I think many owners enjoy and appreciate a good relationship with hunters to insure a good continued business relationship.
If not good then either party can make a change.

Re: price of leases [Re: booskay] #7800421 04/09/20 12:50 AM
W
Wilhunt Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
W
I don't know that I would appreciate a 15,000 dollar lease more than the one I have, I think both have great pleasure for those involved. Can see where it is difficult to find hunters for a high dollar lease. Good times regardless of cost.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide