Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Re: CHEAPER THAN DIRT BACK IN THE NEWS [Re: dlrz71] #7796985 04/06/20 01:17 AM
M
Marc K Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
M
It is not a complicated issue for me.

I made my decision about CTD and other companies back in 2012. My memory regarding "who treats me how" is lifelong and my personal integrity runs very deep.

For the record: IMHO the state, local and the federal government have absolutely no business getting involved in this. We are not talking about food, water, shelter, medication, energy, etc. I have a very low tolerance for nanny state tactics.

A Democracy is when two wolves and a lamb vote on the dinner menu. That is why this country was specifically not designed as a Democracy. We are a Constitutional Republic.
Re: CHEAPER THAN DIRT BACK IN THE NEWS [Re: patriot07] #7796988 04/06/20 01:18 AM
L
LFD2037 Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
L
Originally Posted by patriot07

I'm saying they'll sell less. They'll still sell some. I'm saying why wouldn't they increase price so they have more inventory during a panic? What good is a gun store with few or no guns?

There's not a manufacturing slow-down, as of now. I'd rather sell more @ regular price & restock than sell less @ a higher price & piss people off.
That's how I see it. cheers

R.I.P. CPO Matt Mills-(DEVGRU)- You will NEVER be forgotten!
10-25-75 / 8-6-11 *K.I.A.*
Re: CHEAPER THAN DIRT BACK IN THE NEWS [Re: dlrz71] #7796990 04/06/20 01:22 AM
DeRico Offline
Mobius 1
Mobius 1
Not surprising. This time they will get whip since the price gouging is under the magnifying glass

[Linked Image]
Re: CHEAPER THAN DIRT BACK IN THE NEWS [Re: patriot07] #7797130 04/06/20 03:36 AM
R
Roughneck913 Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
R
Honest question - how are gun stores supposed to keep supplies during panics like this? If they don't increase price, they won't have any inventory. And for a dedicated gun store, I'd think priority #1 is having some type of stock available. Maybe not?

Simple, push higher volume. Order more from distributors. Cheaper than Dirt has played the short game on every crisis, then benefitted from the fact that as soon as its over, the vast majority of consumers don't care that 6 months before they were price gouging, they just want the cheapest price possible THAT DAY.

Re: CHEAPER THAN DIRT BACK IN THE NEWS [Re: jhenderson] #7797163 04/06/20 04:11 AM
T
Tin Head Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
T
Originally Posted by jhenderson
And nothing has changed. Same reason I wrote them off a long time ago.

[Linked Image]
Re: CHEAPER THAN DIRT BACK IN THE NEWS [Re: jsteve] #7797258 04/06/20 11:59 AM
T
texfork Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
T
Originally Posted by jsteve
Too many dumb people out there for them to not survive. Sad but true. They will never, and have never, gotten a dime out of me.

Prayer is the "ultimate" wireless connection .
Re: CHEAPER THAN DIRT BACK IN THE NEWS [Re: dlrz71] #7797326 04/06/20 01:12 PM
D
Dave Davidson Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
D
Haven’t shopped there in a long time and won’t.

However, it’s their goods and they can charge whatever they want to. Their objective is to maximize profits and ROI.

Remember The Godfather? “Nothing personal. It’s just business.”.

Without a sense of urgency, nothing ever happens.

Boy, if I say "sic em", you'd better look for something to bite. Sam Shelley, Rancher Muleshoe Texas 1892-1985 RIP
Re: CHEAPER THAN DIRT BACK IN THE NEWS [Re: dlrz71] #7797335 04/06/20 01:20 PM
D
Dalroo Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
D
I quit CTD back in 2007 or 08 based on the way I was treated in the store. It was close to my office at the time, so I went in regularly and when I had questions, the guys behind the counter were downright rude. Just decided life it too short to deal with these jerks, so haven't shopped with them for years now.

Dalroo
Deep in the Heart of Texas
How about that Brandon!
Re: CHEAPER THAN DIRT BACK IN THE NEWS [Re: dlrz71] #7797347 04/06/20 01:37 PM
F
fmrmbmlm Offline
Tracker
Tracker
F
Never saw anything I wanted reasonably priced since the first flier I got in the mid 90's.

Re: CHEAPER THAN DIRT BACK IN THE NEWS [Re: Roughneck913] #7797352 04/06/20 01:48 PM
P
patriot07 Online Content
Extreme Tracker
Online Content
Extreme Tracker
P
Originally Posted by Roughneck913
Honest question - how are gun stores supposed to keep supplies during panics like this? If they don't increase price, they won't have any inventory. And for a dedicated gun store, I'd think priority #1 is having some type of stock available. Maybe not?

Simple, push higher volume. Order more from distributors. Cheaper than Dirt has played the short game on every crisis, then benefitted from the fact that as soon as its over, the vast majority of consumers don't care that 6 months before they were price gouging, they just want the cheapest price possible THAT DAY.

Distributors don't always have more volume. My LGS goes completely out of stock every time there is a panic. It's frustrating when I'm trying to go to the gun range and can't get anything.

Again, I'm not defending them. But I also understand the logic of having inventory at all times. I don't understand cancelling orders - that should be a crime if they do have the inventory.

Re: CHEAPER THAN DIRT BACK IN THE NEWS [Re: LFD2037] #7797354 04/06/20 01:49 PM
J.G. Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
Originally Posted by LFD2037

I'm saying they'll sell less. They'll still sell some. I'm saying why wouldn't they increase price so they have more inventory during a panic? What good is a gun store with few or no guns?

There's not a manufacturing slow-down, as of now. I'd rather sell more @ regular price & restock than sell less @ a higher price & piss people off.
That's how I see it. cheers

^^That is how you either build, or maintain a good reputation. Treat customers right, and you get more customers. Treat customers like chit, and eventually you won't have any customers. CTD is maintaining their BAD reputation.

[Linked Image]
800 Yard Steel Range
Precision Rifle Instruction
Memberships and Classes Available
Re: CHEAPER THAN DIRT BACK IN THE NEWS [Re: dlrz71] #7797367 04/06/20 02:07 PM
U
unclebubba Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
U
After the first run on ammo and the way they responded, I vowed that I would never do business with them again. I didn't even realize that they were still in business! LoL. I'll still keep my vow.

Re: CHEAPER THAN DIRT BACK IN THE NEWS [Re: unclebubba] #7797622 04/06/20 05:30 PM
T
Tin Head Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
T
Originally Posted by unclebubba
After the first run on ammo and the way they responded, I vowed that I would never do business with them again. I didn't even realize that they were still in business! LoL. I'll still keep my vow.

[Linked Image]
Re: CHEAPER THAN DIRT BACK IN THE NEWS [Re: patriot07] #7797723 04/06/20 07:06 PM
R
Roughneck913 Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
R

Distributors don't always have more volume. My LGS goes completely out of stock every time there is a panic. It's frustrating when I'm trying to go to the gun range and can't get anything.

Again, I'm not defending them. But I also understand the logic of having inventory at all times. I don't understand cancelling orders - that should be a crime if they do have the inventory.

I have access to basically all of the major distributors, and a lot of ammo manufacturers directly, and they aren't cumulatively out of anything, except occasionally 5.56. I've been able to source that through distribution 2-3 times a week the last couple of months, which is plenty if I order even 1/2 smart.

CTD uses most of the same people, they simply do it because they know they can, not because they feel some business need to due to supply drying up.

Re: CHEAPER THAN DIRT BACK IN THE NEWS [Re: LFD2037] #7797732 04/06/20 07:11 PM
R
Roughneck913 Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
R
Originally Posted by LFD2037

Say you sell all the guns in your inventory. Does it matter if you do it in 1 day or 25 days? Nope. You make the same amount of money regardless of how long it takes you to sell them.

This is spot on. Raising prices increases your margin, NOT YOUR INVENTORY. If they raise their price to delay selling as the previous post suggests, that gains them nothing, except a few extra margin points. more inventory doesn't magically appear by raising prices, they just make $150 on a gun instead of $100. so if they sell it day one, they make $100. if they raise the price and sell it day 25, they make $150, but it took much longer to sell, so they cant turn their inventory as quickly. That's the balance retailers have to make. what some gun stores are doing is reading the price to where they make $500 on that gun (or ammo) instead of $100, because they know they can take advantage of peoples fear

Re: CHEAPER THAN DIRT BACK IN THE NEWS [Re: Marc K] #7797735 04/06/20 07:12 PM
R
Roughneck913 Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
R
Originally Posted by Marc K
It is not a complicated issue for me.

I made my decision about CTD and other companies back in 2012. My memory regarding "who treats me how" is lifelong and my personal integrity runs very deep.

For the record: IMHO the state, local and the federal government have absolutely no business getting involved in this. We are not talking about food, water, shelter, medication, energy, etc. I have a very low tolerance for nanny state tactics.

100% agree. It's on us as consumers to punish businesses for this type of behavior, not the government

Re: CHEAPER THAN DIRT BACK IN THE NEWS [Re: celtic okie] #7797780 04/06/20 07:59 PM
skinnerback Online Content
THF Celebrity Chef
Online Content
THF Celebrity Chef
Originally Posted by celtic okie
Have not bought from them since their first price gouging.

Re: CHEAPER THAN DIRT BACK IN THE NEWS [Re: patriot07] #7797881 04/06/20 09:48 PM
E
Earl Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
E
Also, CTD has a history of marking prices up on the exact same inventory they held before the crisis. In fact, they have a history of canceling orders placed before the crisis and saying hey if you still want it the price is now 2x what you paid. I am not lying. There is no greater crooks in the firearms industry than CTD. These actions are why their brick and mortar businesses shuttered.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Re: CHEAPER THAN DIRT BACK IN THE NEWS [Re: dlrz71] #7800085 04/08/20 08:01 PM
B
booradley Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
B
Around 2009 I discovered they were charging 8.5% sales tax in Texas instead of 8.25%. It may seem trivial but cheating is cheating. I wish Doug Paymer would open a chain of gun stores in Texas.

Don’t roll those bloodshot eyes at me.
Re: CHEAPER THAN DIRT BACK IN THE NEWS [Re: Roughneck913] #7800530 04/09/20 02:31 AM
P
patriot07 Online Content
Extreme Tracker
Online Content
Extreme Tracker
P

I have access to basically all of the major distributors, and a lot of ammo manufacturers directly, and they aren't cumulatively out of anything, except occasionally 5.56. I've been able to source that through distribution 2-3 times a week the last couple of months, which is plenty if I order even 1/2 smart.

CTD uses most of the same people, they simply do it because they know they can, not because they feel some business need to due to supply drying up.

Weird. Wonder how my gun store runs out every time but CTD and others always have supply.

Another one that does this is B&S Guns in Garland. I don't shop at CTD or B&S. Ammo Depot in Caddo Mills has always been good to me and that's where I shop. If I buy online, I have guns sent there so at least they can get the FFL fee, and I don't sweat the $25-$30 because of how they've treated me.

Good info though - thanks for the civil discussion.

Re: CHEAPER THAN DIRT BACK IN THE NEWS [Re: dlrz71] #7800657 04/09/20 11:06 AM
GasGuzzler Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
There are still gun enthusiasts that don't know about the things CTD has done in the past. That and each happening bears new guns owners keeps places like that open.

Pass the gravy.

Re: CHEAPER THAN DIRT BACK IN THE NEWS [Re: GasGuzzler] #7800806 04/09/20 02:35 PM
E
Earl Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
E
Ain't that the truth...the one thing different with this scare then all the others is the amount of people that went out to buy guns and ammo that never have before. I can't count how many times I was in gunshops at the beginning of this mess with individuals in there buying their first gun. If the NRA wasn't such a screwed up damn organization now and still focused on what it needed to do, it could have grown significantly due to this crisis.

Originally Posted by GasGuzzler
There are still gun enthusiasts that don't know about the things CTD has done in the past. That and each happening bears new guns owners keeps places like that open.

Last edited by Earl; 04/09/20 02:35 PM.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Re: CHEAPER THAN DIRT BACK IN THE NEWS [Re: dlrz71] #7801429 04/10/20 12:14 AM
R
Roughneck913 Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
R
[/quote]
Weird. Wonder how my gun store runs out every time but CTD and others always have supply.

Another one that does this is B&S Guns in Garland. I don't shop at CTD or B&S. Ammo Depot in Caddo Mills has always been good to me and that's where I shop. If I buy online, I have guns sent there so at least they can get the FFL fee, and I don't sweat the $25-$30 because of how they've treated me.

Good info though - thanks for the civil discussion. [/quote]

My guess would be that your local store orders much more conservative, because they can't afford, or don't want to take the risk of bulking up, then the demand going away and them being stuck with a bunch of inventory they cant afford

Re: CHEAPER THAN DIRT BACK IN THE NEWS [Re: dlrz71] #7803567 04/12/20 12:11 PM
GasGuzzler Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
PSA is doing the same thing on a smaller scale. Their uppers went up 20-30% and the ammo at least 15-20%. I guess that's in the reasonable zone as opposed to CTD ???

Pass the gravy.

Re: CHEAPER THAN DIRT BACK IN THE NEWS [Re: dlrz71] #7803667 04/12/20 02:27 PM
T
TAB Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
T
CTD was ok, just ok when they were off 820 back when, every once in a while you could pick up cheap ammo..
They have always been on the high side for ammo in my opinion. I have never been to the newer store up both of Dallas or wherever they relocated to. The partner that opened that Fort Worth gun that opened and closed really quickly wasn’t terrible on the prices but it was in a weird location down off 30..

No surprise that CTD is doing what they are doing, I can garantee they won’t get any $$$ from myself.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide