Print Thread
Good and bad at the same time. #7784839 03/25/20 04:56 PM
F
flintknapper Online Content OP
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
F
Petroleum Company is just getting around to clearing off a pad for a couple of new Gas Wells on our property.That's 'good' (extra income) but there will be a lot of activity for the next 5-6 months just a few hundred yards from my most productive (and comfortable) dedicated hog stand.

I have other places to hunt them of course, but not nearly as comfortable and usually not as productive as my favorite site.

This might also cause some of the hogs to take up residence on the neighbors property (for a time) and they don't hunt (anything) or take any measures to control the hogs. So....if that happens, they (hogs) will be able to multiply unmolested ....only to return to our property later when the wells are in and all the commotion has ceased.

I'll probably be covered up in hogs by late summer. frown

[Linked Image]

Spartans ask not...how many, but where!
Re: Good and bad at the same time. [Re: flintknapper] #7787058 03/27/20 06:35 PM
F
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
F
Well.....maybe I spoke too soon.

Might have time to go knock off a few before too much commotion begins. Right now...there are still some hogs visiting my favorite Bait Site.

And one Boar coming late at night:

But they are just starting to doze off a pad site. Once the drilling starts (24/7) it will surely drive the hogs off. The bait site is just 300 yds. away. My house is a bit over 1-1/2 miles away and it will be noisy even there.

Re: Good and bad at the same time. [Re: flintknapper] #7787064 03/27/20 06:39 PM
S
SnakeWrangler Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
S
Your other sites may become more productive as the pigs are pushed off of your best stand...

Originally Posted by Sneaky
I believe in science and I’m an insufferable [censored]
Originally Posted by beaversnipe
Actually, BBC is pretty damn good

"You Cannot Simultaneously Be Politically Correct And Intellectually Honest!"
Re: Good and bad at the same time. [Re: flintknapper] #7787069 03/27/20 06:45 PM
CharlieCTx Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
I'm sure you'll tell us when you see firsthand, but corn is corn and a hungry hog is a hungry hog. I would bet it's not going to be as big of an impact as you're thinkin'. I think they'll get used to that activity pretty quick.

Charlie

Kel-Tec RFB + Griffin Sportsman Ultra Light 300 + Pulsar Apex XQ-50
M&P-10 + AAC Cyclone
Remy 700 + Leupold VX3 3.5x10x50 CDS
Re: Good and bad at the same time. [Re: SnakeWrangler] #7787322 03/27/20 11:18 PM
F
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
F
Originally Posted by SnakeWrangler
Your other sites may become more productive as the pigs are pushed off of your best stand...

Possibly, but the next nearest stand is about 3/4 mile from this one and the neighbors property (quite thick with plenty of bedding and water) is very close. My prediction is they will simply move over to my neighbors place while the drilling is going on and possibly visit my other sites late night or the wee hours of the morning. I've seen both hogs and deer completely ignore new disturbances (noise/activity) after a couple of weeks too...so that could happen. We will see.

Re: Good and bad at the same time. [Re: flintknapper] #7788130 03/28/20 06:50 PM
T
TKandMike Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
T
They'll stay around, it's inevitable

Re: Good and bad at the same time. [Re: flintknapper] #7788202 03/28/20 08:15 PM
Double Naught Spy Online Happy
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Happy
THF Trophy Hunter
Yeah, I don't think the hunting is in too much danger of going away, LOL. The hogs will get used to the commotion.

Hogdalorian - Si vis pacem cum sus, para bellum.
My Videos https://www.youtube.com/user/HornHillRange
Re: Good and bad at the same time. [Re: TKandMike] #7788331 03/28/20 10:58 PM
F
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
F
Originally Posted by TKandMike
They'll stay around, it's inevitable

Already a group of four young boars at another bait site ( a few hundred yards behind my house). They 'lined up' real nice there for a moment. Wind is wrong this evening for that stand though. Maybe tomorrow night.

They seem pretty comfortable back there.

Re: Good and bad at the same time. [Re: flintknapper] #7788694 03/29/20 11:06 AM
O
Old Stony Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
O
I doubt they will end up very far away. Hogs just seem to me to be able to adapt to about any situation and make the best of it.

Re: Good and bad at the same time. [Re: Old Stony] #7788902 03/29/20 04:09 PM
F
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
F
Originally Posted by Old Stony
I doubt they will end up very far away. Hogs just seem to me to be able to adapt to about any situation and make the best of it.

You may be right. But even if they don't...it looks like I have plenty of others over at another stand.

Re: Good and bad at the same time. [Re: flintknapper] #7789389 03/29/20 11:57 PM
dogcatcher Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
Plenty of targets.

Combat Infantryman, the ultimate hunter where the prey shoots back.
_____________"Illegitimus non carborundum est"_______________

[Linked Image]
Re: Good and bad at the same time. [Re: dogcatcher] #7789733 03/30/20 04:16 AM
F
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
F
Originally Posted by dogcatcher
Plenty of targets.

Storm clouds and lightning ended my hunt early this evening. I can take a little rain...but I don't do lightning.

Maybe try again the next night or two.

Re: Good and bad at the same time. [Re: flintknapper] #7792215 04/01/20 02:18 PM
F
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
F
Hah, busted TWICE last night. Went and sat on a stand that I don't use all that often...but has activity right now by a group of hogs a pair of young boars. A cool fron t blew in the day before and dropped temperatures. It being the second day after the front...the wind was going to be calm to non-existent after dark.

Got on stand about 7:15 and not 15 minutes later I could hear the sounds of something crossing the creek which is about 75 yds. behind (and downhill) of the stand. Soon thereafter I could hear soft 'grunts' and the sounds of several animals working their way through the thick brush. These would be pigs....no doubt.

Trouble was....I expecting them to come out from in FRONT of me like the game camera videos had suggested they were doing. There wasn't any wind...BUT the temperature was dropping and creating a 'thermal' I could feel. And of course it was settling on the ground and flowing straight downhill to the hogs. They got within 25-30 yds. before stopping and I could hear several of them start sniffing. Then it got very quiet and I could hear them slipping away through the brush.

Oh well...you can't control their movement or where they might approach from, just go with your best guess. It still being early...I wasn't too discouraged knowing that another group or perhaps a lone hog could still show up.

Nothing but Coons and one rabbit until 9:45 when I heard hogs over on the neighbors property. Sounded like they were headed my way and this time would approach from in front of me (Upwind from the settling thermal). The stand I was on this time (one of two for that site) is just 25 yds. from the bait and I use a shotgun or pistol on that stand. I have a second stand about 90 yds. away for rifle use, but these pigs have been bunching up on the corn and I wanted to get several with one shot.

Anyway, the pigs continued to come in. I could hear them now (still in the brush) maybe 40 yds. out. I had already slid the safety off the shotgun and was waiting for them to come out and settle in on the corn. But instead...they moved off to my right and then went in BEHIND me (same group possibly)? Well CRAP...they are going to wind me just like before.

To my surprise, they kept coming toward the bait site but were directly behind me. They would stop frequently and sniff the air. Then a small 75 lb. hog popped out and went directly to the corn. It was standing there 25 yds. away.... all lit up, crunching away on the corn.

So...at this point I'm thinking maybe that hog will draw the others in. The rest of the group amazingly kept coming until several of them were no farther than 15 feet from my stand. They just stood there testing the air for probably 5 minutes. I couldn't move a muscle. Then... I guess the faint scent they were detecting (I always get squeaky clean before hunts) was too much for them. One the pigs let out an alarm grunt and the pig that was out on the corn trotted off into the brush. The others slowly and quietly slipped away.

At one point before the others got too close to for me to move...I could have shot the one pig (bird in hand), but I didn't want to pull the trigger on a load of 'Dixie Tri-Ball' to kill one small pig. I'll just have to let things settle down for a night or two and go back in there. If they continue to come in from behind me, I'll have to switch to the rifle stand.

So...last night the pigs won.

Last edited by flintknapper; 04/01/20 02:31 PM.

Re: Good and bad at the same time. [Re: flintknapper] #7792284 04/01/20 03:23 PM
L
LeonCarr Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
L
That Dixie Slugs Tri-Ball would have put a smackdown on him no doubt.

Have you shot an animal with Tri-Ball yet?

Just my .02,
LeonCarr

"Whitetail Deer are extinct because of rifles with telescopes mounted on them." - My 11th Grade English Teacher
Re: Good and bad at the same time. [Re: flintknapper] #7792566 04/01/20 08:21 PM
H
Hunt Dog Online Content
Veteran Tracker
Online Content
Veteran Tracker
H
It doesn't take too long to drill a well in the sandy soils of East Texas and animals get used to the activity pretty quick.

Re: Good and bad at the same time. [Re: LeonCarr] #7792893 04/02/20 02:09 AM
F
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
F
Originally Posted by LeonCarr
That Dixie Slugs Tri-Ball would have put a smackdown on him no doubt.

Have you shot an animal with Tri-Ball yet?

Just my .02,
LeonCarr

Yes. A few hogs caught in my pen traps is all.

Honestly...it's just WAY too much for one hog. But good for shooting through several in a bunch (close range) I figure. But I have yet to prove that theory.

I usually hunt from stands about 100 yds. away and use either my .458 SOCOM or a 7mm-08. But this one stand site is perfect for shotgun or pistol (when you don't get busted of course). I've shot pigs with both pistol and shotgun (00 buck)...from the stand in the past, but haven't tried the Dixie Tri-Ball before.

[Linked Image]

Last edited by flintknapper; 04/02/20 02:19 AM.

Re: Good and bad at the same time. [Re: Hunt Dog] #7792902 04/02/20 02:17 AM
F
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
F
Originally Posted by Hunt Dog
It doesn't take too long to drill a well in the sandy soils of East Texas and animals get used to the activity pretty quick.

True, once they punch through the Iron Ore it will be mostly sand after that... until they hit the Shale Play (Haynesville/Bossier). But that will be at around 13,000- 14,000 ft. then they have to go lateral. So it will take awhile to put in two wells. But I agree....I've seen animals adjust to quite a bit of 'noise'. It's just that they drill 24/7 until it's completed and this will not be very far from my bait site. We will see. I have plenty of hogs right now at other spots, so I'll just harass those and see how it all goes.

Last edited by flintknapper; 04/02/20 02:22 AM.

Re: Good and bad at the same time. [Re: flintknapper] #7796704 04/05/20 09:20 PM
F
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
F
Hoping to catch them bunched up like this:

Perfect set up for the shotgun and Dixie Tri-Ball.

Might go sit this evening, weather permitting.

Re: Good and bad at the same time. [Re: flintknapper] #7796817 04/05/20 11:02 PM
M
mikei Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
M
Originally Posted by flintknapper

Perfect set-up for a "skillet shot" if your blind is close enough to the bait site. Let us know how it goes!

Re: Good and bad at the same time. [Re: mikei] #7797168 04/06/20 04:27 AM
F
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
F
Originally Posted by mikei

Perfect set-up for a "skillet shot" if your blind is close enough to the bait site. Let us know how it goes!

25 yds. so very close. Hogs were a 'No-Show' tonight, just one raccoon that sat around eating corn for about an hour. I like having a raccoon or two show up before the hogs do...since they make really good Sentry's.

Re: Good and bad at the same time. [Re: flintknapper] #7818388 04/24/20 10:56 PM
F
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
F
Well....so far I've been right. Hardly any activity at all at my favorite bait site. They've been busy putting in a new service road and 5 acre 'pad'. I spoke with our Land Man and he tells me instead of putting in two wells they have decided to put in FOUR, (after looking at the seismographs again).

I asked him if he knew about how long it would take to put in four wells, he just said "Awhile'.

So I went ahead and shut down that feeder for now. They will start drilling pretty soon and its going to get very busy and noisy back there.

I'm going to have to concentrate on the other bait sites. They usually are not as productive.

[Linked Image]

Re: Good and bad at the same time. [Re: flintknapper] #7818409 04/24/20 11:18 PM
Creekrunner Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
I spoke with our Land Man and he tells me instead of putting in two wells they have decided to put in FOUR, (after looking at the seismographs again).

'Second time I've heard of an impressive amount of wells in one area. The wife's old boss contacted me 'cause he saw our name on some drilling permits. He has family property north of San Augustine, like we do. (I sold our share of the surface a little while ago, so we just have a piddlin' of minerals left - 1/4 on 120 ac.) He said 16 wells right next to one another. 'Somethin' goin' on in the Haynesville. (Current oil price be damned.) 2 horizontal gas and one oil before we sold the surface, no pads on our tract. But I haven't been contacted or informed 'bout nuthin'.

...and have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over every living thing that moveth upon the earth. Gen. 1:28
Re: Good and bad at the same time. [Re: Creekrunner] #7818604 04/25/20 01:34 AM
F
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
F
Originally Posted by Creekrunner
I spoke with our Land Man and he tells me instead of putting in two wells they have decided to put in FOUR, (after looking at the seismographs again).

'Second time I've heard of an impressive amount of wells in one area. The wife's old boss contacted me 'cause he saw our name on some drilling permits. He has family property north of San Augustine, like we do. (I sold our share of the surface a little while ago, so we just have a piddlin' of minerals left - 1/4 on 120 ac.) He said 16 wells right next to one another. 'Somethin' goin' on in the Haynesville. (Current oil price be damned.) 2 horizontal gas and one oil before we sold the surface, no pads on our tract. But I haven't been contacted or informed 'bout nuthin'.

We are somewhat West of there. For several years... most of the production has been in the San Augustine area...but is now moving Westward as the petroleum companies are drilling new wells miles apart to see what production is like. The Bossier/Haynesville play (shale layer) in our area is only about 200' thick but heavily saturated just about everywhere they have drilled to date. Of course it's all at a depth roughly twice of what our other 5 wells are.

They must be pretty confident these will be profitable....because they are currently about $500K into just the service road and pad. We will see.

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide