Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
Re: Covid-19 percentages... [Re: mattyg06] #7792341 04/01/20 04:24 PM
J.G. Offline OP
THF Celebrity
OP Offline
THF Celebrity
Originally Posted by mattyg06
Originally Posted by FiremanJG

The point of this really is more to suggest everyone carefully watch and listen to what the media is feeding them day ti day, week to week. Lots of people do that already anyway. But we can watch what numbers they feed us. Not he said, she said.

The issue is we don't exactly know the numbers but we do know how fast it spreads. I appears to be deadlier than the seasonal flu but not nearly as deadly as SARS or MERS, and for certain segments of the population maybe on par with the 1918 Flu epidemic.

The issue is the current rate of spread and incubation period.

If we do nothing then the economy most likely gets shut down by itself in a completely unorganized fashion, which makes matters worse.

We will get through this and in the long run the economy won't be effected. If you look at economic tables you can hardly register the 1918 global epidemic. It will be interested to see how the private sector handles the short term economy. Even if millions go 'bankrupt' corporations will still need the masses to fill out the work force.

I have been shut down since March 12 and we just got another directive from Abbott that indicates we will be shut down for another month. If I got bankrupt I am still necessary to re-open the office, so short term economic downturns don't really come into my consideration, since we will all be in the same boat.

What I am concerned about is if a large number of first responders, truckers, doctors, etc go down too quickly too close together then we really have a problem.

It is like a bullpen. Ideally you want to save these essential people so you can effectively manage 'rolling blackouts' for a long duration and not go into game 7 with all your top arms used up.

I hope you are right about the economic standpoint.

I can tell you we are taking drastic measures to protect ourselves from infection while answering calls to people with respiratory symptoms. Things I never expected to see, we are now being told to do by the chiefs and medical director. People are still get fast, and quality care, but we are having to play the long game and really watch out for ourselves at the same time.

[Linked Image]
800 Yard Steel Range
Precision Rifle Instruction
Memberships and Classes Available
Re: Covid-19 percentages... [Re: Marc K] #7792352 04/01/20 04:32 PM
S
S.A. hunter Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
S
Originally Posted by Marc K
The mortality rate is how many deaths vs how many infected people.
The numbers being thrown around do NOT include the actual number of infected people. We do not know how many people are infected.

We do know that there are many "silent/mild" cases that will never be reported.

Dig into the numbers and you will find a sudden and dramatic fall in reported flu cases and deaths - when they should be peaking now. It is highly likely that Covid 19 has been running through our population since December/January.

Flu peaks in March? Are you sure? Also if covid 19 has been running wild since December, shouldn't there be a body count? CDC heard about the virus in Dec. I'm pretty sure they would of had their ear to the ground. They would of know about any clusters of pneumonia.

Last edited by S.A. hunter; 04/01/20 04:33 PM.
Re: Covid-19 percentages... [Re: S.A. hunter] #7792413 04/01/20 05:35 PM
J.G. Offline OP
THF Celebrity
OP Offline
THF Celebrity
Originally Posted by S.A. hunter
The numbers being thrown around do NOT include the actual number of infected people. We do not know how many people are infected.

Dig into the numbers and you will find a sudden and dramatic fall in reported flu cases and deaths - when they should be peaking now. It is highly likely that Covid 19 has been running through our population since December/January.

Flu peaks in March? Are you sure? Also if covid 19 has been running wild since December, shouldn't there be a body count? CDC heard about the virus in Dec. I'm pretty sure they would of had their ear to the ground. They would of know about any clusters of pneumonia.

There were lots of people that had flu like symptoms in November and December. Went to the doctor, and tested negative for Flu A and Flu B. Mild fever and a cough for 10 days. Nothing was diagnosed, so it could have been Covid-19 and they just got over it. I know several people that got sick like this, in those months. But they're in their 30's and 40's and in very good physical condition.

[Linked Image]
800 Yard Steel Range
Precision Rifle Instruction
Memberships and Classes Available
Re: Covid-19 percentages... [Re: J.G.] #7792426 04/01/20 05:44 PM
S
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
S
Correlation does not imply causation.

Re: Covid-19 percentages... [Re: J.G.] #7792433 04/01/20 05:52 PM
R
Rustler Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
R
Those that think they had or possibly had covid 19 months ago can be confirmed or denied via serum testing ( blood test) and if proven true could be a source of antibodies that would lead to rapid production of covid 19 treatments and a vaccine.

So if you probably had it, possibly, coulda had it, step up.

If you went to a doctor with symptoms of covid 19 months ago the doctor will have records that can be passed along to the CDC, a simple blood test will tell the story of either you did or you didn't, the info could possibly help others.

Keeping in mind the typical influenza tests are only considered 50% - 70% accurate.
So more likely you could've been one of the 30% to 50% that get a false negative flu test.

Re: Covid-19 percentages... [Re: J.G.] #7792448 04/01/20 06:19 PM
T
Tin Head Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
T
Immediately after hearing the number of deaths on the news. This is the number of total deaths in the U.S. THEY REPORTED I wrote this down in another form.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Re: Covid-19 percentages... [Re: Tin Head] #7792463 04/01/20 06:28 PM
S
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
S
Originally Posted by Tin Head
Immediately after hearing the number of deaths on the news. This is the number of total deaths in the U.S. THEY REPORTED I wrote this down in another form.

[Linked Image]

I like how she rolls into the earth is flat thing! Lol

Re: Covid-19 percentages... [Re: J.G.] #7792467 04/01/20 06:31 PM
P
Paluxy Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
P

Re: Covid-19 percentages... [Re: Paluxy] #7792630 04/01/20 09:16 PM
D
Duck Buster Offline
Tracker
Tracker
D
Originally Posted by Hancock

Thanks for that. It was a good read regarding trust and misinformation.

I just want to throw it out there...that the number of deaths would likely rise from the 1.7% as calculated above, or 2% to higher if we weren't doing social distancing, or taking precautions to slow the spread and just went on as business as usual. Those are numbers based on when these precautions are put in place, and can now be expected where healthcare is relatively accessible. The numbers will differ regionally. I am sure in areas where healthcare is less accessible, that number would also be higher.

I don't have the time to do it, but I'd be more interested to see what percentage of people are hospitalized due to this, versus how many beds there are in the US, how many ventilators there are in the US, and then see how quickly it would take to overload the entire US healthcare system. Then calculate/model what the death rate may be if we went on as business as usual- because those really are the limiting factors (that I see) and the things keeping the death rate low right now. For those of you wondering what the big deal is, this is the real number that should be calculated- not using numbers being calculated during drastic social measures- because they wouldn't be valid anymore since transmission rates are currently lower.

For example on regional effects: where I live in rural Alaska there a 58 villages that are serviced by 1 hospital. The estimated people population is 25,000 people in our region. None of the villages have ventilators because all they have are clinics run by a nurse or CNA, so anyone that contracts it that needs a ventilator has to go to the hospital. The hospital has 5 ventilators. 5 ventilators for a population of 25000 people. And no actual ICU. And the staff is already re-using masks and PPE because of the shortage. When the coronavirus gets here, the death toll will be much higher than 2% without these drastic measures put in place. I suspect other rural areas in the lower 48 would have similar issues- but I don't know for sure. In all of Alaska, there are estimated only 200 ventilators in the entire state. If someone is on a ventilator for 14 days...there aren't many ventilators available for others. It wouldn't take long to overload the healthcare system here.

Plus as someone has mentioned, what happens when/if our healthcare staff come down with it because social precautions aren't being taken (which may happen anyways without proper PPE), and they can no longer treat the people that subsequently come down with it? I wouldn't expect that number to stay at 1-2% if the number of people contracting it and needing healthcare overloads a dwindling staff and medical supplies. Right now there are affects being seen in the hotspots of New York and Chicago.Travelling nurses are being offered $10K a week (my wife got an email offer) to put themselves in known danger and help with covid patients in New York. Because there is shortage of healthcare workers due to them getting sick themselves, and so many patients. If this occurred all over the US...theres not enough healthcare workers in the US to go to all the places needing more help, and death percentages would likely increase in all age groups due to lack of available care.

Whether you believe the coronavirus is a real threat or not to you personally, whether you think it is a way to control everyone's civil liberties, or you believe sacrificing yourself is worth it for our economy, or just don't trust any sort of government organization: when the consensus among health care professionals, scientists, pathologists, and everyone else all over the WORLD looking at this thing puts out warnings- you should probably be concerned, conspiracy theory or not.

I dont think it is just our economy taking a hit. Every major country around the world being affected because they are all social distancing, shutting down factories, shutting down businesses- but some others are being affected less because they took early action, tested more people, and have been able to deal with it better. And some countries citizens are complying better than we are- so it is more effective. Whether you agree or not on our countries implementing drastic social actions was timely or slow or too far reaching...those countries that acted early and tested more people do have a lower death count, and have a lower amount of spread, and will (may) be able to recover economically faster than us because their workforce is healthy and ready. And until this coronavirus has taken its course across the world, all countries economies will be affected from tourism, from months of being a stagnant economy, and from the lives lost.

but thats just my 2cents. Most of you don't know me in person, so my opinion likely carries the same weight as a grain of sand. Just felt compelled to share it.

Re: Covid-19 percentages... [Re: J.G.] #7792710 04/01/20 10:43 PM
J
JCB Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
J
Originally Posted by S.A. hunter

There were lots of people that had flu like symptoms in November and December. Went to the doctor, and tested negative for Flu A and Flu B. Mild fever and a cough for 10 days. Nothing was diagnosed, so it could have been Covid-19 and they just got over it. I know several people that got sick like this, in those months. But they're in their 30's and 40's and in very good physical condition.

Last time I got really sick with "flu like symptoms" and went to the doctor I tested negative for Flu and Strep as well. They called it a upper respitory infection of some kind and gave me a bunch of goodies that didn't work. That was in 2007. Im pretty sure I didn't have Wu Flu in 2007.

My point is everyone has a story like that but just because it was close to the beginning of Wu Flu doesn't make it Wu Flu. Look at all the tests that are being done right now. Way less than half come back positive for Wu Flu and they wont even test you unless you have the symptoms. I haven't heard anyone with any kind pandemic expertise say this stuff has been floating around the U.S. for that long undetected.

Re: Covid-19 percentages... [Re: Duck Buster] #7792799 04/02/20 12:24 AM
B
Big Fitz Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
B
Originally Posted by Duck Buster
Originally Posted by Hancock

I just want to throw it out there...that the number of deaths would likely rise from the 1.7% as calculated above, or 2% to higher if we weren't doing social distancing, or taking precautions to slow the spread and just went on as business as usual. Those are numbers based on when these precautions are put in place, and can now be expected where healthcare is relatively accessible. The numbers will differ regionally. I am sure in areas where healthcare is less accessible, that number would also be higher.

I don't have the time to do it, but I'd be more interested to see what percentage of people are hospitalized due to this, versus how many beds there are in the US, how many ventilators there are in the US, and then see how quickly it would take to overload the entire US healthcare system. Then calculate/model what the death rate may be if we went on as business as usual- because those really are the limiting factors (that I see) and the things keeping the death rate low right now. For those of you wondering what the big deal is, this is the real number that should be calculated- not using numbers being calculated during drastic social measures- because they wouldn't be valid anymore since transmission rates are currently lower.

For example on regional effects: where I live in rural Alaska there a 58 villages that are serviced by 1 hospital. The estimated people population is 25,000 people in our region. None of the villages have ventilators because all they have are clinics run by a nurse or CNA, so anyone that contracts it that needs a ventilator has to go to the hospital. The hospital has 5 ventilators. 5 ventilators for a population of 25000 people. And no actual ICU. And the staff is already re-using masks and PPE because of the shortage. When the coronavirus gets here, the death toll will be much higher than 2% without these drastic measures put in place. I suspect other rural areas in the lower 48 would have similar issues- but I don't know for sure. In all of Alaska, there are estimated only 200 ventilators in the entire state. If someone is on a ventilator for 14 days...there aren't many ventilators available for others. It wouldn't take long to overload the healthcare system here.

Plus as someone has mentioned, what happens when/if our healthcare staff come down with it because social precautions aren't being taken (which may happen anyways without proper PPE), and they can no longer treat the people that subsequently come down with it? I wouldn't expect that number to stay at 1-2% if the number of people contracting it and needing healthcare overloads a dwindling staff and medical supplies. Right now there are affects being seen in the hotspots of New York and Chicago.Travelling nurses are being offered $10K a week (my wife got an email offer) to put themselves in known danger and help with covid patients in New York. Because there is shortage of healthcare workers due to them getting sick themselves, and so many patients. If this occurred all over the US...theres not enough healthcare workers in the US to go to all the places needing more help, and death percentages would likely increase in all age groups due to lack of available care.

Whether you believe the coronavirus is a real threat or not to you personally, whether you think it is a way to control everyone's civil liberties, or you believe sacrificing yourself is worth it for our economy, or just don't trust any sort of government organization: when the consensus among health care professionals, scientists, pathologists, and everyone else all over the WORLD looking at this thing puts out warnings- you should probably be concerned, conspiracy theory or not.

I dont think it is just our economy taking a hit. Every major country around the world being affected because they are all social distancing, shutting down factories, shutting down businesses- but some others are being affected less because they took early action, tested more people, and have been able to deal with it better. And some countries citizens are complying better than we are- so it is more effective. Whether you agree or not on our countries implementing drastic social actions was timely or slow or too far reaching...those countries that acted early and tested more people do have a lower death count, and have a lower amount of spread, and will (may) be able to recover economically faster than us because their workforce is healthy and ready. And until this coronavirus has taken its course across the world, all countries economies will be affected from tourism, from months of being a stagnant economy, and from the lives lost.

but thats just my 2cents. Most of you don't know me in person, so my opinion likely carries the same weight as a grain of sand. Just felt compelled to share it.

Very well articulated Duck Buster. A couple of other points to consider on mortality rate...I believe the correct calculation method is #dead/#cases resolved (i.e. the disease has run its course and the patient either healed or passed away) and not just those who have tested positive since the disease takes so long to run its course. Of course, we will never truly know the total number infected since so many appear to have little or no symptoms and, therefore, did not get tested.

Originally Posted by onlysmith&wesson
I was wrong...on anything technical.

Originally Posted by Sailor
Fitz............. is right, ya know............
Re: Covid-19 percentages... [Re: J.G.] #7793000 04/02/20 09:19 AM
B
beaversnipe Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
B
Philippine President Rodrigo Duterte has warned violators of coronavirus lockdown measures they could be shot for causing trouble and said abuse of medical workers was a serious crime that would not be tolerated.

www.TexasPondPoppers.com
Originally Posted by bill oxner
Loved my 4 inches. Well needed.

Hate Russians. Love happy endings. I saw snot fly. cheers

Re: Covid-19 percentages... [Re: J.G.] #7793001 04/02/20 09:36 AM
N
NORML as can be Online Content
^^Cut the Cord^^
Online Content
^^Cut the Cord^^
N
Lots of things Aren't Tolerated in country's Your Not From...

(R-TX) .-- " TCNN CURL CRLB VFF VRNO AYR SNDL CGC TLRY MSOS "

_=====___=________==-

Re: Covid-19 percentages... [Re: Duck Buster] #7793041 04/02/20 12:05 PM
C
Chopped54 Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
C
Originally Posted by Duck Buster

One of the best posts I have seen on here regarding the situation.

I suppose I am more concerned than most cause right now I am living it every day. People that are on leave or working from home get comfort in the fact that them and their family are safe once they go past the two week critical period. I don't get that luxury, my two weeks starts over everyday I walk through these doors. I spent most my day yesterday converting OR rooms to a make shift ICU cause at our rate we will be out of ventilators by the weekend. It's unfortunate, but if you didn't contract it early on if and when you do at this point just hope a vent is not needed as they will be mostly unavailable.
Walking into work this morning I got choked up at the chalk drawings on the parking lot below the patient room windows from family members that can't see, touch, or hug their love ones. [Linked Image]

Wealth is of the heart and mind and not of the pocket
Re: Covid-19 percentages... [Re: J.G.] #7793069 04/02/20 12:50 PM
B
beaversnipe Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
B
Georgia governor @BrianKempGA just found out asymptomatic people can shed the virus. What planet has this guy been on the last couple months? How could he just be learning this? How?

www.TexasPondPoppers.com

Re: Covid-19 percentages... [Re: beaversnipe] #7793236 04/02/20 03:28 PM
Duck_Hunter Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
Originally Posted by beaversnipe
Philippine President Rodrigo Duterte has warned violators of coronavirus lockdown measures they could be shot for causing trouble and said abuse of medical workers was a serious crime that would not be tolerated.

That was walked back as hyperbole by the top chief of police in the Philippines.

I just turned it on . I was looking bird dogs in the butt this morning.

[Linked Image]
Re: Covid-19 percentages... [Re: Duck_Hunter] #7793762 04/03/20 12:51 AM
B
beaversnipe Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
B
Originally Posted by Duck_Hunter
Originally Posted by beaversnipe

That was walked back as hyperbole by the top chief of police in the Philippines.

The entire country is hooked on shabu

Shabu is killing more people by the thousands compared to corona

Dog would have an absolute field day in Manilla. Well, maybe not, he would have been shot within 72 hrs by them gangs. Them gangs would drop you for six fitty.

https://www.theatlantic.com/interna...es-dead-rodrigo-duterte-drug-war/595978/

Last edited by beaversnipe; 04/03/20 01:00 AM.

www.TexasPondPoppers.com

Re: Covid-19 percentages... [Re: J.G.] #7794921 04/04/20 01:03 AM
T
Tin Head Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
T
Harvey Weinstein has 'no issues' related to coronavirus, spokesperson says it's unclear if he was ever tested
https://www.foxnews.com/entertainme...s-related-spokesman-unclear-test-results

roflmao

[Linked Image]
Re: Covid-19 percentages... [Re: J.G.] #7794951 04/04/20 01:22 AM
B
beaversnipe Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
B
India will be horrifying.
Corona just hit Mumbai.
1 million people live in the slum, less than 1 square mile.
Healthcare workers were stoned by the population for trying to screen a patient today.
India has one of the worst health care system in the World, Italy was second best.
They have 10.6 ventilators per 1 million inhabitants and are forced to hook 2 patients to one machine.
It will hands down be the country with the most death.

www.TexasPondPoppers.com

Re: Covid-19 percentages... [Re: J.G.] #7794971 04/04/20 01:36 AM
Guy Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity

[Linked Image]

You don't get it. The concern is that our health system could get over overwhelmed. It is why we are trying to flatten the curve. Now I do not agree with how we are doing it, but I do understand why, but you don't is my point.

Re: Covid-19 percentages... [Re: J.G.] #7795075 04/04/20 03:26 AM
S
Sneaky Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
S
Why are people so afraid to die?

Re: Covid-19 percentages... [Re: Sneaky] #7795078 04/04/20 03:31 AM
dogcatcher Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
Originally Posted by Sneaky

Human nature,

Combat Infantryman, the ultimate hunter where the prey shoots back.
_____________"Illegitimus non carborundum est"_______________

[Linked Image]
Re: Covid-19 percentages... [Re: dogcatcher] #7795080 04/04/20 03:42 AM
S
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
S
Originally Posted by dogcatcher

Human nature,

I'm grateful I was able to get my two children to adult hood. Cherry on top would be to get 10 years of retirement. Fingers crossed.

Re: Covid-19 percentages... [Re: Sneaky] #7795081 04/04/20 03:46 AM
Guy Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity

I think people are more worried about others than themselves. I know if my mother gets this she is a gonner...But she will tell you she is not afraid.

Re: Covid-19 percentages... [Re: J.G.] #7795082 04/04/20 03:48 AM
Roll-Tide Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
Ventilators.

I don’t know why this is such a big deal, I’ve heard they are the kids of death. Little chance of recovery.

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide