Page 1 of 2 1 2
Well I messed up #7792109 04/01/20 12:53 PM
_
_Lee Offline OP
Pro Tracker
OP Offline
Pro Tracker
_
I’ll start by saying I messed up. The family and I have been going on walks In the neighborhood and I have not been carrying. I live in a nice golf course neighborhood and have never felt the need to carry while going on walks.
Saturday we started out on our walk, 3 year old daughter on her scooter, wife pushing the stroller Incase she gets tired, me with the lab on a leash.
We arnt too far from the house and I notice a neighbor we’ve been talking to more since this virus started was in his garage across the street so I start to cross the street to go talk to him and my wife and daughter continue strait. I’m all the way across the street barely in his yard when I hear this aggressive dog bark/growling nearby and as I turn to see where it’s coming from I see 2 dogs headed strait towards my daughter and wife and them screaming hysterically.
I sprint (with the dog from habit) back across the st and get in front of them before the dogs have made it there thinking the dogs are just going to stop in their tracks when they see me, I soon realize they arnt, I get ready and as soon as the first one is within reach I kick it square in the face and the 2nd one grabs onto my dog, I kick that one off and the 1st one has had time to recover and it hits my dog. I continue to kick one off at a time but I’m not making progress and my dog doesn’t have an aggressive bone in her body she’s not fighting back just trying to hide behind me which is making it hard to kick them.
Luckily the neighbor I was going to talk to runs out with a wooden dow and starts smacking these f”@$&@ dogs and they finally let up.
Shortly later the owner walks up real non calmly and is like “what happend?”
And I respond “your f”$@$& dogs just tried to attack my family and ended up attacking my dog”
And he almost shrugs us off and starts to walk off ...........in dismay I yell at him something else and he keeps walking.....
Luckily my dog only ended up with one scratch on her and animal control came out Monday and talked to him, I’m not sure what happened there as I need to follow up with them.
What really is bothering me now is my daughter is really shook up and scared of dogs now, she keeps worrying “the mean dogs” are going to get in the house. We went for a walk yesterday (carrying of course) and anytime
She saw or heard a dog she started screaming. I’m really pissed off now that she had to see that and I hope animal control puts those f=^#* dogs down but I doubt anything substantial happens and hopefully I see them again one day.

Re: Well I messed up [Re: _Lee] #7792121 04/01/20 01:03 PM
H
Hudbone Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
H
I get it - that would be tough to deal with, but you have to deal with it. There is no way (zero) I would allow that to happen a second time.

Re: Well I messed up [Re: _Lee] #7792149 04/01/20 01:33 PM
bill oxner Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
POS neighbor. hanged

Quail hunting is like walking into, and out of a beautiful painting all day long. Gene Hill

[Linked Image]

Re: Well I messed up [Re: _Lee] #7792156 04/01/20 01:38 PM
R
rickym Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
R
You’ve got to report it, I doubt the dogs days will end as they didn’t attack a person, though if you report the negligence of the owner he will likely be given a citation. Bout all you can do.

Re: Well I messed up [Re: _Lee] #7792167 04/01/20 01:47 PM
S
SnakeWrangler Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
S
Prayers for your wife and especially for your little girl.....

Originally Posted by Sneaky
I believe in science and I’m an insufferable [censored]
Originally Posted by beaversnipe
Actually, BBC is pretty damn good

"You Cannot Simultaneously Be Politically Correct And Intellectually Honest!"
Re: Well I messed up [Re: _Lee] #7792173 04/01/20 01:48 PM
S
Stub Online Happy
THF Celebrity
Online Happy
THF Celebrity
S
Sorry that happened and frightened your daughter. Sometimes I think about carrying while walking my dog even though he is a good size mutt.

Last edited by Stub; 04/01/20 01:49 PM.

texas flag

Re: Well I messed up [Re: bill oxner] #7792176 04/01/20 01:50 PM
TCM3 Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
Originally Posted by bill oxner
POS neighbor. hanged

whip

Do not forget to entertain strangers, For by so doing some have unwittingly entertained angels
Hebrews 13:2
Re: Well I messed up [Re: _Lee] #7792191 04/01/20 02:01 PM
U
unclebubba Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
U
Lee, that really sucks and I hate to see that happen. I carry everywhere, every day, even if I am going somewhere that I don't think I will need my pistol. I live in a very nice, very low crime neighborhood, and I even carry around the house. My pants go on, by belt goes on, the holster and gun goes on. It has just become part of getting ready in the morning just like brushing my teeth. Some people might say I am paranoid or whatever, but I can assure you that I am not. I carry a pocketknife because it is a useful tool. I treat my pistol the same. I do it that way exactly because of the type of situation that you found yourself in the other day. Don't be hard on yourself. Other than a scared little girl (that will pass), it sounds like your family are just fine. Learn from it and keep protecting your family. God Bless.

Re: Well I messed up [Re: _Lee] #7792197 04/01/20 02:05 PM
J
jrgocards Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
J
Sorry to hear that - however your daughter might have been more traumatized had you shot a couple dogs. Either way the owner needed to own up.

JR

Re: Well I messed up [Re: _Lee] #7792198 04/01/20 02:05 PM
S
S.A. hunter Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
S
I'm sure she'll get over it, and It wont be long till she's asking you for a puppy.

Re: Well I messed up [Re: _Lee] #7792258 04/01/20 03:03 PM
P
pegasaurus Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
P
Had something similar happen but it was just me and my lab.
A dog came running right at us, aggressively growling and tried to attack my dog. I was able maneuver my dog out of the way and kick the dog in the throat. It gave me time to draw my pistol. At the same time, the owner started yelling at his dog and noticed I had my pistol in my hand.
We exchanged a few words and he gathered his dog.
Never seen them before this incident and have not seen either of them since.

Funny thing about getting older:
Your eyesight starts getting weaker but your ability to
see through people's BS gets much better.
Re: Well I messed up [Re: _Lee] #7792277 04/01/20 03:15 PM
R
reeltexan Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
R

I have a similar story.
I walk my dogs every morning. Lots of people in this area jog, walk and cycle, all the time.
One neighbor has a lab. It's the biggest Lab I've ever seen, well over 100 lbs.
This dog was once friendly but no longer. He has bit numerous people in the neighborhood. Attacked one man in his yard. Nipped my wife on two occasions, even attacked a neighbor that they asked to feed the dog while one of them was hospitalized. He had to have stiches on his hand. No offer of covering his expenses either.

One morning as I walked the dogs, here comes the brute, bolting from the back yard.
The wife is following in pursuit of him.
I started yelling at the dog to get back.
She's calling him back and finally he turns away.
I told her that I would be carrying protection from now on and that I would not allow her dog to bite me or my dogs.

I guess they finally got the message.
The Lab has been kept in the backyard since.

[Linked Image]

"Give me an Army of West Point graduates and I'll win a battle... Give me a handful of Texas Aggies and I'll win a war." - General Patton

Re: Well I messed up [Re: _Lee] #7792362 04/01/20 04:51 PM
H
hook_n_line Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
H
My neighbor had to come pick his dog up from my porch one day. It climbed the fence into my yard and charged my dog through the doggie door. Bad move, Killer! I called the neighbor to come retrieve his dog off my porch since he wasn't able to leave on his own. No problems he knew his dog was aggressive.

Sometimes it's hard being me! But somebody has to do it.
Re: Well I messed up [Re: _Lee] #7792369 04/01/20 04:58 PM
Superduty Offline
"The Regulator"
"The Regulator"
So here is the question,..can you legally shoot the dog within city limits? I get the justification to protect your daughter and possibly your dog as well, but what about just yourself out and about?
Then there is the civil side as well.

Opinions? LEO's?

Thanks

'It's Only Treason if You Lose."
Re: Well I messed up [Re: _Lee] #7792379 04/01/20 05:07 PM
T
Tin Head Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
T
Originally Posted by _Lee
I’ll start by saying I messed up. The family and I have been going on walks In the neighborhood and I have not been carrying. I live in a nice golf course neighborhood and have never felt the need to carry while going on walks.
Saturday we started out on our walk, 3 year old daughter on her scooter, wife pushing the stroller Incase she gets tired, me with the lab on a leash.
We arnt too far from the house and I notice a neighbor we’ve been talking to more since this virus started was in his garage across the street so I start to cross the street to go talk to him and my wife and daughter continue strait. I’m all the way across the street barely in his yard when I hear this aggressive dog bark/growling nearby and as I turn to see where it’s coming from I see 2 dogs headed strait towards my daughter and wife and them screaming hysterically.
I sprint (with the dog from habit) back across the st and get in front of them before the dogs have made it there thinking the dogs are just going to stop in their tracks when they see me, I soon realize they arnt, I get ready and as soon as the first one is within reach I kick it square in the face and the 2nd one grabs onto my dog, I kick that one off and the 1st one has had time to recover and it hits my dog. I continue to kick one off at a time but I’m not making progress and my dog doesn’t have an aggressive bone in her body she’s not fighting back just trying to hide behind me which is making it hard to kick them.
Luckily the neighbor I was going to talk to runs out with a wooden dow and starts smacking these f”@$&@ dogs and they finally let up.
Shortly later the owner walks up real non calmly and is like “what happend?”
And I respond “your f”$@$& dogs just tried to attack my family and ended up attacking my dog”
And he almost shrugs us off and starts to walk off ...........in dismay I yell at him something else and he keeps walking.....
Luckily my dog only ended up with one scratch on her and animal control came out Monday and talked to him, I’m not sure what happened there as I need to follow up with them.
What really is bothering me now is my daughter is really shook up and scared of dogs now, she keeps worrying “the mean dogs” are going to get in the house. We went for a walk yesterday (carrying of course) and anytime
She saw or heard a dog she started screaming. I’m really pissed off now that she had to see that and I hope animal control puts those f=^#* dogs down but I doubt anything substantial happens and hopefully I see them again one day.
we all have stupid neighbors that let their dogs run loose. I se no problem with carrying a gun but you can also carry pepper spray.

[Linked Image]
Re: Well I messed up [Re: _Lee] #7792383 04/01/20 05:09 PM
603Country Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
I’ve shot them in the city, allegedly. And shot em in the country too. Was it John Wesley Hardin that said he never shot anyone that didn’t need it? Well, I’m with him.

Way back when, my grandfather delivered newspapers in small town Louisiana. He carried a squirt gun with ammonia or an ammonia/water blend. He said that worked great on dogs.

Not my monkeys, not my circus...
Re: Well I messed up [Re: _Lee] #7792397 04/01/20 05:21 PM
S
SherpaPhil Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
S
There's not much to worry about on the civil side. Dogs are property, despite how many people feel. Your liability would be limited to the value of that property.

Re: Well I messed up [Re: Superduty] #7792849 04/02/20 01:29 AM
_
_Lee Offline OP
Pro Tracker
OP Offline
Pro Tracker
_
Originally Posted by Superduty
So here is the question,..can you legally shoot the dog within city limits? I get the justification to protect your daughter and possibly your dog as well, but what about just yourself out and about?

Opinions? LEO's?

Thanks

Per a State Trooper and city officer they said I could and my only worry would be a civil suite.

Re: Well I messed up [Re: unclebubba] #7792851 04/02/20 01:30 AM
_
_Lee Offline OP
Pro Tracker
OP Offline
Pro Tracker
_
Originally Posted by unclebubba
Lee, that really sucks and I hate to see that happen. I carry everywhere, every day, even if I am going somewhere that I don't think I will need my pistol. I live in a very nice, very low crime neighborhood, and I even carry around the house. My pants go on, by belt goes on, the holster and gun goes on. It has just become part of getting ready in the morning just like brushing my teeth. Some people might say I am paranoid or whatever, but I can assure you that I am not. I carry a pocketknife because it is a useful tool. I treat my pistol the same. I do it that way exactly because of the type of situation that you found yourself in the other day. Don't be hard on yourself. Other than a scared little girl (that will pass), it sounds like your family are just fine. Learn from it and keep protecting your family. God Bless.

I will be doing the same from now on.

Re: Well I messed up [Re: SnakeWrangler] #7792852 04/02/20 01:30 AM
_
_Lee Offline OP
Pro Tracker
OP Offline
Pro Tracker
_
Originally Posted by SnakeWrangler

Thank you

Re: Well I messed up [Re: _Lee] #7792860 04/02/20 01:37 AM
Grizz Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Originally Posted by _Lee

Opinions? LEO's?

Thanks

Per a State Trooper and city officer they said I could and my only worry would be a civil suite.

Yep, protection of life and limb trumps city ordinance.

[Linked Image] [Linked Image]
Re: Well I messed up [Re: _Lee] #7792865 04/02/20 01:46 AM
R
rolyat.nosaj Online Content
Veteran Tracker
Online Content
Veteran Tracker
R
I would've pulled a Jack Black

Re: Well I messed up [Re: jrgocards] #7792972 04/02/20 04:13 AM
S
Sneaky Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
S
Originally Posted by jrgocards
Sorry to hear that - however your daughter might have been more traumatized had you shot a couple dogs. Either way the owner needed to own up.

JR

Great googley moogley...

Re: Well I messed up [Re: SnakeWrangler] #7792980 04/02/20 04:52 AM
dogcatcher Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Originally Posted by SnakeWrangler

Combat Infantryman, the ultimate hunter where the prey shoots back.
_____________"Illegitimus non carborundum est"_______________

[Linked Image]
Re: Well I messed up [Re: Superduty] #7792992 04/02/20 05:22 AM
N
N.La.Beagler Offline
Tracker
Tracker
N

Opinions? LEO's?

Thanks

My man. I'm an LEO and several years ago a pit had a kid in my driveway pinned up against my car and looked like he was going to attack. I got my pistol and was about to "put an end to an imminent threat". The dog heard my door shut and decided to find safer ground. Each city has it's own ordinances as to firing in the city. However state law says that it's justified to protect people or your livestock. Regardless of what the law says, I will kill a dangerous dog thats about to attack someone. I feel it's justified and I'm sure most juries will too.

Page 1 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide