Forum Statistics
Forums46
Topics537,925
Posts9,730,749
Members87,051
Most Online25,604
Feb 12th, 2024
Print Thread
New to Texas (sort of), looking for quality upland leads for this fall. #7782938 03/23/20 11:22 PM
R
Roughneck913 Offline OP
Bird Dog
OP Offline
Bird Dog
R
Hello Everyone!

I just recently moved to the North DFW area after living in the midwest for a few years. Can anyone give me a couple of pointers on a good lease to get on for upland? Not necessarily a lead on a specific property itself, but what to look for in the lease agreement. This whole lease-hunting thing is totally foreign to me- Ive been lucky enough to hunt public ground or get permission from farmers for basically my whole life, so this is really a learning experience for me. How do I make sure Im not getting ripped off? How do I know if the property has a decent chance of producing birds down here without scouting it?

Thanks for the help!

Re: New to Texas (sort of), looking for quality upland leads for this fall. [Re: Roughneck913] #7782947 03/23/20 11:28 PM
R
RayB Offline
red bone Bob
red bone Bob
R
Last year North TX stunk, So. TX is always better but much pricey er, good luck.

There is time, and you must take it, to lay your hand on your dog's head as you walk past him lying on the floor or on his settle, time to talk with him, to remember with him, time to please him, time you can't buy back once he's gone" GBE
Re: New to Texas (sort of), looking for quality upland leads for this fall. [Re: Roughneck913] #7783254 03/24/20 02:27 AM
dogcatcher Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
welcome

Combat Infantryman, the ultimate hunter where the prey shoots back.
_____________"Illegitimus non carborundum est"_______________

[Linked Image]
Re: New to Texas (sort of), looking for quality upland leads for this fall. [Re: Roughneck913] #7783355 03/24/20 04:38 AM
B
booskay Offline
Tracker
Tracker
B
Plan on spending 3K --4K to get on a lease ----- there is no way to gauge the quail population at the time that you pay your $$ --------- also a lot of deer leases will lease to you after deer season -------- as a rule the quail population is 1/2 to 1/3 in Jan compared to what it was in Nov . The last 2 yrs the quail pop in Tx has been miserable ------ I hate to admit this,, but quail hunting is evolving into shooting pen raised birds.
How do you know if the property has a decent chance of having quail --------- well you ask the other hunters on the lease, you will not be able to find a lease by yourself, you will have to find an open spot to merge onto.

Re: New to Texas (sort of), looking for quality upland leads for this fall. [Re: Roughneck913] #7783426 03/24/20 11:45 AM
bill oxner Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Location? welcome

Quail hunting is like walking into, and out of a beautiful painting all day long. Gene Hill

[Linked Image]

Re: New to Texas (sort of), looking for quality upland leads for this fall. [Re: Roughneck913] #7783457 03/24/20 12:41 PM
M
mickeyhft Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
M
Based on this year, I'd be looking towards South Texas or West Texas, the former for bob's the later for blue's, those are where the most quail were this year. Who knows for next year, but those places will have the best brood carry over. Southern New Mexico was really good, they say I didn't go, for blues, lots of public land out there too.

Welcome to Texas. I'm in the north DFW area too, west of Frisco. Good luck to you in your search!

DFW Roofing Contractor - Priority Roofing
HuntFishThrive.com

We are all in this together!
Re: New to Texas (sort of), looking for quality upland leads for this fall. [Re: bill oxner] #7783741 03/24/20 05:21 PM
R
Roughneck913 Offline OP
Bird Dog
OP Offline
Bird Dog
R
Im in the Plano area. If I plan to hunt a property that has multiple leasees, what sort of gun/acreage ratio should I be looking for? Sorry if that's a silly question, but Im not used to sharing ground with people I don't know. Is it standard or likely to be able to actually look around a property before signing a lease?

Re: New to Texas (sort of), looking for quality upland leads for this fall. [Re: Roughneck913] #7783876 03/24/20 06:41 PM
C
Chet Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
C
You bet you need to look at it. How much is hunt able, good cover or grazed down etc. Unless a good friend would vouch for the place you need to take a look.

Re: New to Texas (sort of), looking for quality upland leads for this fall. [Re: Roughneck913] #7784436 03/25/20 05:04 AM
M
Mundo Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
M
Originally Posted by Roughneck913
Im in the Plano area. If I plan to hunt a property that has multiple leasees, what sort of gun/acreage ratio should I be looking for? Sorry if that's a silly question, but Im not used to sharing ground with people I don't know. Is it standard or likely to be able to actually look around a property before signing a lease?

Best bet. Make friends with some local quail hunters who need a gun on their lease. Deer hunters and quail hunters often don't get along so you are better off with a quail hunter only lease --very hard to find. (Deer hunters will do things like put feeders around the lease causing the birds to move near the feeders, then demand that you don't hunt near their feeders.) Most better leases have been leased by the same group for years. Also, many s. texas leases are hunted out of vehicles with multiple dogs. (It is possible to walk hunt Texas leases tho). Unfortunately most leases are signed before or as birds begin to pair so you may end up with a lease with few birds due to weather conditions. Last several years best leases are south of San Antonio. North Texas had very few birds. Don't sign a lease unseen--it may be unhuntable. (Too much brush.) Plan on 1,000 acres per gun on a multiple member lease. 4-6 grand is actually on the light side for a good s. texas lease with partners. Accommodations may be an issue--leases not near your home require you to stay on the lease or nearby with your dog or dogs. You can find unleased land by doing a lot of homework but it is very time consuming and involves a lot of time and local feed stores and fsa offices near where you want to lease. Your fallback--drive to Kansas. Lots of walk in areas and it has had a good quail pop in certain areas the last several years. Sorry I can't be more encouraging.

Re: New to Texas (sort of), looking for quality upland leads for this fall. [Re: Roughneck913] #7784650 03/25/20 02:34 PM
68rustbucket Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Mundo, check your PM

Re: New to Texas (sort of), looking for quality upland leads for this fall. [Re: Mundo] #7785365 03/25/20 11:39 PM
R
Roughneck913 Offline OP
Bird Dog
OP Offline
Bird Dog
R
Originally Posted by Mundo
Originally Posted by Roughneck913

Best bet. Make friends with some local quail hunters who need a gun on their lease. Deer hunters and quail hunters often don't get along so you are better off with a quail hunter only lease --very hard to find. (Deer hunters will do things like put feeders around the lease causing the birds to move near the feeders, then demand that you don't hunt near their feeders.) Most better leases have been leased by the same group for years. Also, many s. texas leases are hunted out of vehicles with multiple dogs. (It is possible to walk hunt Texas leases tho). Unfortunately most leases are signed before or as birds begin to pair so you may end up with a lease with few birds due to weather conditions. Last several years best leases are south of San Antonio. North Texas had very few birds. Don't sign a lease unseen--it may be unhuntable. (Too much brush.) Plan on 1,000 acres per gun on a multiple member lease. 4-6 grand is actually on the light side for a good s. texas lease with partners. Accommodations may be an issue--leases not near your home require you to stay on the lease or nearby with your dog or dogs. You can find unleased land by doing a lot of homework but it is very time consuming and involves a lot of time and local feed stores and fsa offices near where you want to lease. Your fallback--drive to Kansas. Lots of walk in areas and it has had a good quail pop in certain areas the last several years. Sorry I can't be more encouraging.

I appreciate your honesty and feedback. I think my best bet might be to try to meet a group of guys already on a lease or who own land through my work and see if I cant join their lease.

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide