Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Re: Sitka worth it? [Re: TBS12] #7784159 03/24/20 11:21 PM
R
Roughneck913 Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
R
Originally Posted by TBS12
I just find it funny when the die hard brand dudes get so triggered when someone doesn't want to dress like them. No matter how much you spend on gear it's not going to make you a better hunter. If your gear works for your situation then that's all that matters.

I just find it funny you think anyone here is triggered because they are trying to answer the question the OP asked...

And while buying high-quality gear might not make YOU a better hunter, it can certainly make other peoples' hunt better, or longer, or more comfortable, or more likely to be successful.

Last edited by Roughneck913; 03/24/20 11:22 PM.
Re: Sitka worth it? [Re: Roughneck913] #7784187 03/24/20 11:51 PM
R
rickym Online Content OP
THF Celebrity
OP Online Content
THF Celebrity
R
Originally Posted by Roughneck913
I just find it funny when the die hard brand dudes get so triggered when someone doesn't want to dress like them. No matter how much you spend on gear it's not going to make you a better hunter. If your gear works for your situation then that's all that matters.

I just find it funny you think anyone here is triggered because they are trying to answer the question the OP asked...

And while buying high-quality gear might not make YOU a better hunter, it can certainly make other peoples' hunt better, or longer, or more comfortable, or more likely to be successful.

Roughneck, you like many others, wouldn’t have replied to him if it didn’t some how trigger you. roflmao

Re: Sitka worth it? [Re: BOBO the Clown] #7784192 03/24/20 11:54 PM
R
rickym Online Content OP
THF Celebrity
OP Online Content
THF Celebrity
R
Originally Posted by BOBO the Clown
Originally Posted by Herbie Hancock
Originally Posted by BOBO the Clown
FYI don’t buy the yukon roto cooler from Bucees, it’s suxs compared to RTIC, Yeti, and grizzly

As in save your money, pretty sure igloo has more insulation

I have the soft side cooler, I haven't had any issues with it in regards to it having the longevity of holding ice.

Good to know. The roto is terrible at ice retention, as in I want my money back

Must be an issue with the new ones, my father has one that’s 6 years old and holds ice with our rtic.

Re: Sitka worth it? [Re: Roughneck913] #7784293 03/25/20 01:41 AM
68A Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
Seeing as this is posted in the "Migratory bird" page, I'll start with my response specifically about the WF line. "Worth it" is a subjective standard, meaning it cannot be definitively answered. I own a LOT of Sitka gear (35ish pieces
across their lines) because I think it is the best stuff on the market in the waterfowl category. The waders are technically very similar to Simms, just with slight adjustments to make them more hunting friendly. I grew up hunting out of neoprene waders, and the last 3 seasons before buying Sitka waders, I used the Banded Red Zone waders. Due to my employment, I can get just about any neoprene wader or the red zones for a SUBSTANTIAL discount, but I still chose to pay retail for the Sitka ones. I usually get 2-3 seasons out of a pair of neoprene waders or Banded's before they break down.

Why?
The Sitka waders (and this applies to the whole WF line) won't directly help you kill more ducks. People who act like that's reasonable, or like that is the metric that matters are dumbasses. You can see it in this thread already. "oh my cheapo waders don't flare ducks, so they are fine." If that is your standard, good for you. That isn't my standard. What I want is a product that helps me kill ducks more COMFORTABLY. The Sitka WF line does that a number of ways.

Specifically on why I got their waders
-lightweight waders that don't feel like I'm fighting a bunch of rubber bands every time I lift my leg. I am REGULARLY less tired than the people I hunt with because of this, and it makes the walk in a hell of a lot more comfortable when we do it
-breathability, so that when I set decoys or walk, It doesn't feel like I'm wrapped in a trash bag and soaked in sweat when Im ready to take a seat and get to the fun part
-repairable which means I can send my waders in during the offseason and have them checked for leaks and patched on the off chance there is a leak I don't know about. This also means less downtime in season
-Durability that allows me to walk through flooded corn and be confident I'm not going to poke or tear a hole and end up wet after laying in a blind that might be super wet or muddy on soft ground.

Most of Sitka's WF line is incredibly well thought out and well constructed. I don't love Banded or Drake, because almost every piece I see from them has a pretty major flaw, whether it be fit, taped seams, pocket placement or anything else. Sitka just seems to get it "right" more often. Their baselayers are fine, but their insulation pieces and shells are spot on in my opinion. If you have any specific questions on specific products, let me know, I'm happy to help!

Can you pass along that substantial discount?
Also gonna go ahead and guess you’re either not from Texas or hunt out of state quite a bit. We don’t have flooded corn, unless you’re dumping bags in the tank you lease.

Re: Sitka worth it? [Re: rickym] #7784296 03/25/20 01:44 AM
E
Erny Online Content
Extreme Tracker
Online Content
Extreme Tracker
E
I my opinion yes, it’s expensive but very good gear. If you mountain hunt or hunt in extreme conditions it’s worth every penny. If you hunt out of a box blind with a buddy heater it’s an absolute waste of money.

Re: Sitka worth it? [Re: rickym] #7784539 03/25/20 12:32 PM
D
ducknbass Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
D
Only question I've got is can you pass that discount along? roflmao

Re: Sitka worth it? [Re: ducknbass] #7784618 03/25/20 01:54 PM
K
KWood_TSU Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
K
Originally Posted by ducknbass
Only question I've got is can you pass that discount along? roflmao

Check this guy out, a lot of people use him to buy new Sitka gear, he's a dealer and offers good discounts.

Also on facebook there are a few buy/sell Sitka groups where you can get some stuff cheaper than new. But always always pay with payapl goods and services. If they ask for friends or family payment, or venmo, nope out of that and report them, there is a 99% chance that person is a scammer.

Amat Victoria Curam - Victory Loves Preparation
Re: Sitka worth it? [Re: 68A] #7785332 03/25/20 11:13 PM
R
Roughneck913 Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
R
Originally Posted by 68A
Seeing as this is posted in the "Migratory bird" page, I'll start with my response specifically about the WF line. "Worth it" is a subjective standard, meaning it cannot be definitively answered. I own a LOT of Sitka gear (35ish pieces
across their lines) because I think it is the best stuff on the market in the waterfowl category. The waders are technically very similar to Simms, just with slight adjustments to make them more hunting friendly. I grew up hunting out of neoprene waders, and the last 3 seasons before buying Sitka waders, I used the Banded Red Zone waders. Due to my employment, I can get just about any neoprene wader or the red zones for a SUBSTANTIAL discount, but I still chose to pay retail for the Sitka ones. I usually get 2-3 seasons out of a pair of neoprene waders or Banded's before they break down.

Why?
The Sitka waders (and this applies to the whole WF line) won't directly help you kill more ducks. People who act like that's reasonable, or like that is the metric that matters are dumbasses. You can see it in this thread already. "oh my cheapo waders don't flare ducks, so they are fine." If that is your standard, good for you. That isn't my standard. What I want is a product that helps me kill ducks more COMFORTABLY. The Sitka WF line does that a number of ways.

-lightweight waders that don't feel like I'm fighting a bunch of rubber bands every time I lift my leg. I am REGULARLY less tired than the people I hunt with because of this, and it makes the walk in a hell of a lot more comfortable when we do it
-breathability, so that when I set decoys or walk, It doesn't feel like I'm wrapped in a trash bag and soaked in sweat when Im ready to take a seat and get to the fun part
-repairable which means I can send my waders in during the offseason and have them checked for leaks and patched on the off chance there is a leak I don't know about. This also means less downtime in season
-Durability that allows me to walk through flooded corn and be confident I'm not going to poke or tear a hole and end up wet after laying in a blind that might be super wet or muddy on soft ground.

Most of Sitka's WF line is incredibly well thought out and well constructed. I don't love Banded or Drake, because almost every piece I see from them has a pretty major flaw, whether it be fit, taped seams, pocket placement or anything else. Sitka just seems to get it "right" more often. Their baselayers are fine, but their insulation pieces and shells are spot on in my opinion. If you have any specific questions on specific products, let me know, I'm happy to help!

Also gonna go ahead and guess you’re either not from Texas or hunt out of state quite a bit. We don’t have flooded corn, unless you’re dumping bags in the tank you lease.

Haha, if I could pass on the discount I would! You are correct, Im not native to Texas. I lived in Spring (north of Houston) for about 5 years, moved home to the midwest for a couple years, and in January moved to the north DFW area. Though Ive never hunted flooded corn in Texas, I'd say my point applies to a lot of the walk in hunting Ive done around Somerville Lake, as well some cow-pasture ponds Ive hunted around the Houston area.

Re: Sitka worth it? [Re: rickym] #7785335 03/25/20 11:17 PM
R
Roughneck913 Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
R
Originally Posted by rickym

Roughneck, you like many others, wouldn’t have replied to him if it didn’t some how trigger you. roflmao

I wouldn't consider myself "triggered" at all by his comments, just hoping to inform those who are actually here seeking knowledge (or opinions). I'm hardly a die-hard brand guy like his original comment is aimed at in the first place, and I don't make money off of Sitka selling more stuff, so Im not sure why you think his comment would "trigger" me, or what about my replied sounded triggered.

Re: Sitka worth it? [Re: Roughneck913] #7785371 03/25/20 11:43 PM
68A Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
Originally Posted by 68A

Why?

Haha, if I could pass on the discount I would! You are correct, Im not native to Texas. I lived in Spring (north of Houston) for about 5 years, moved home to the midwest for a couple years, and in January moved to the north DFW area. Though Ive never hunted flooded corn in Texas, I'd say my point applies to a lot of the walk in hunting Ive done around Somerville Lake, as well some cow-pasture ponds Ive hunted around the Houston area.

Well, welcome back to Texas.

Re: Sitka worth it? [Re: rickym] #7785467 03/26/20 01:08 AM
K
KWood_TSU Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
K
https://www.facebook.com/clete.burkemper

The sitka dealer, realized I didn't post link earlier

Amat Victoria Curam - Victory Loves Preparation
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Previous Thread