S
Sneaky Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
S
Originally Posted by BOBO the Clown
Originally Posted by Sneaky
And another question goes unanswered.

His economics opinions are as about as tolerant as some’s evangelical beliefs, minds are made, lines are drawn, no opinions are changing.

Better question why aren’t you in the mountains shed hunting?

Man, I’d love to be, but I’m taking every bit of overpaid work I can get while I can get it.

Re: Gas Prices [Re: Sneaky] #7781437 03/22/20 07:24 PM
BOBO the Clown Offline
kind of a big deal
kind of a big deal

His economics opinions are as about as tolerant as some’s evangelical beliefs, minds are made, lines are drawn, no opinions are changing.

Man, I’d love to be, but I’m taking every bit of overpaid work I can get while I can get it.

I get it, I hope work stays steady.

Donate to TX Youth hunting program.... better to donate then to waste it in taxes

https://secure.qgiv.com/for/gtgoh/mobile
Re: Gas Prices [Re: Sneaky] #7781468 03/22/20 07:38 PM
S
Sniper.270 Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
S

Maybe you’re just not smart enough to see the answer.

Proverbs 2
Re: Gas Prices [Re: rolyat.nosaj] #7781477 03/22/20 07:50 PM
S
Sneaky Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
S
I’m smart enough to know when someone is dodging questions like a politician. You certainly never answered mine.

Re: Gas Prices [Re: BOBO the Clown] #7781516 03/22/20 08:14 PM
S
Sneaky Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
S

I get it, I hope work stays steady.

Thank you, sir.

Re: Gas Prices [Re: rolyat.nosaj] #7781583 03/22/20 09:10 PM
D
ducknbass Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
D
Anyone who doesn't think they benefit from a healthy oil market is more naive than a performing arts major is about pretty much anything useful.

Re: Gas Prices [Re: ducknbass] #7781596 03/22/20 09:25 PM
S
Sneaky Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
S
Originally Posted by ducknbass
Anyone who doesn't think they benefit from a healthy oil market is more naive than a performing arts major is about pretty much anything useful.

They could explain the pushback. Maybe some folks payed a lot of money for a worthless degree and feel slighted than others have done better than them with good old fashioned labor.

Re: Gas Prices [Re: rolyat.nosaj] #7782035 03/23/20 03:43 AM
R
RedRaider13 Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
R
Folks, y’all have but on quite a show. Thanks for the entertainment.

I don’t know anything about oil markets, but I’m saving between $3-400 per month on my fuel bill with the lower prices (I drive allot). The lower price allows me extra money to drop in 401k while stock market is low. It allowed me to go on the oryx hunt I couldn’t have before. Low gas prices are all positives from where I’m sitting.

But then again I’m just an average joe who don’t work in the oil industry.
Have a great evening and stay healthy.

Re: Gas Prices [Re: RedRaider13] #7782144 03/23/20 11:45 AM
bill oxner Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Originally Posted by RedRaider13

I don’t know anything about oil markets, but I’m saving between $3-400 per month on my fuel bill with the lower prices (I drive allot). The lower price allows me extra money to drop in 401k while stock market is low. It allowed me to go on the oryx hunt I couldn’t have before. Low gas prices are all positives from where I’m sitting.

cheers

Quail hunting is like walking into, and out of a beautiful painting all day long. Gene Hill

[Linked Image]

Re: Gas Prices [Re: RedRaider13] #7782191 03/23/20 12:50 PM
U
unclebubba Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
U

The oil industry employs a very large number of people...and an even larger percentage in Texas. When prices are up, the industry employs truckers, drillers, riggers by the thousands. The industry buys water, rock, pipe, tools, etc. Those employees buy RV's, boats, cars and trucks, toys for their kids, jewelry for their wives, etc. A healthy oil industry helps us all.

At the same time, if Oil goes too high, it starts to negatively affect us all. Trucking and industry is more expensive due to high fuel costs. People can't afford to fill their tanks to go to work. $100 a barrel oil is clearly bad for the economy. But so is $20 a barrel oil. For the last year, oil had been hanging around $50-60 a barrel. Low enough to keep gas prices reasonable, but high enough to keep the oil industry employed.

No, I am not in the oil industry, and I am not an economist. But I did stay at a Holiday inn last night, and this is how I understand it.

Re: Gas Prices [Re: rolyat.nosaj] #7782278 03/23/20 02:00 PM
T
TLew Online Content
Veteran Tracker
Online Content
Veteran Tracker
T
popcorn

Hope everyone is well, can sit with their coffee or other chosen drink this morning, and reflect on life itself. If you haven't figured it out, there are almost always opportunity costs. I'm sure there are folks on here that have preached main street over wall street, however some of those same are saying money back in people's pockets isn't a good thing. Are there other ripples in the water that come from that benefit (low gas)? Absolutely, but same could be true on the main street over wall street conversation.

In no way am I advocating lower gas > higher gas or vice versa, I'm just saying with most positives there is a negative and vice versa -- interrelation at its finest. I'm sure that some will want to argue the point and that's their choice. Maybe to bring the whole thing back together, oil hands -- the true grunts putting life and limb on the line -- work hard and get paid for it. I hope that we can all same the same however in different respects for our individual lines of business. However, we'd be dumb not to learn some skills that can be leveraged across different types of jobs in case things don't get better. I think that's the point that Sniper is trying to make, and I'd say that oil field workers are going to be better off on that front than a bunch of middle to upper white collar management during the down times as long as they have put some money away for a rainy day

Re: Gas Prices [Re: unclebubba] #7782309 03/23/20 02:38 PM
Grizz Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Originally Posted by unclebubba

The oil industry employs a very large number of people...and an even larger percentage in Texas. When prices are up, the industry employs truckers, drillers, riggers by the thousands. The industry buys water, rock, pipe, tools, etc. Those employees buy RV's, boats, cars and trucks, toys for their kids, jewelry for their wives, etc. A healthy oil industry helps us all.

At the same time, if Oil goes too high, it starts to negatively affect us all. Trucking and industry is more expensive due to high fuel costs. People can't afford to fill their tanks to go to work. $100 a barrel oil is clearly bad for the economy. But so is $20 a barrel oil. For the last year, oil had been hanging around $50-60 a barrel. Low enough to keep gas prices reasonable, but high enough to keep the oil industry employed.

No, I am not in the oil industry, and I am not an economist. But I did stay at a Holiday inn last night, and this is how I understand it.

This is how I feel as well. If you break the population down into oil industry workers and non oil industry workers, both groups need to contribute a lot of money to the economy to keep it going strong. Really high oil prices severely reduce the contributions of one group, really low oil prices reduce the contributions of the other. I makes sense to me that a good balance that keeps the oil industry hiring and maintaining a solid work force with good wages but doesn't keep everyone else from cutting back would be ideal. There is no denying that bottoming out oil prices hurts our economy overall. When tens of thousands of people who have been contributing to the economy lose their jobs, it can't do anything but hurt the economy. The same thing goes for the other side having to tighten their belts when gas prices go up too much. I think when we stay more toward the middle of the scale and off of the extreme ends, it works out better for everyone. If anyone thinks the oil and gas folks aren't absolutely critical to our economy, they're fooling themselves.

As far as Sneaky and Sniper270, I'll violate one of my personal rules and wade right into the middle of it. If you strip the emotion out of both arguments and get down to the sterilized content, you're both making factual statements about oilfield workers' pay. The average oilfield worker with a high school education or less is making a lot more money with that education than they could in just about any other industry. However, they are absolutely not getting over paid for the work they do when you consider the hard work, hazards, long hours, etc. (some may actually be under paid from that perspective). From the cheap seats it appears you guys are arguing two different facts as if they're the same. Just my 2cents.

[Linked Image] [Linked Image]
Re: Gas Prices [Re: rolyat.nosaj] #7782590 03/23/20 06:13 PM
1860.colt Online Content
emoji colt.45
Online Content
emoji colt.45
Said it before :

"Not everyone pays the same at the pumps"
pappy

Gas prices here are $191.00 i drive 22 miles one way for 4 hours work...
So lower prices help, Gas Companies will get tax breaks... People with gas guslers they gonna enjoy it, hummers get 6mpg, warmer weather, people do more camping, traveling, then things simmer down, have ta increase drilling, & prices will sky rocket again, just like the 70's gas shortage, & again it will be the low-income workers just trying ta make a living paying the price ...
With this virus scare, people staying home... Dont need ta have an A in grammer ta figure dis out...

flag

i'm postaddic
Re: Gas Prices [Re: 1860.colt] #7782608 03/23/20 06:27 PM
T
TonyWornick Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
T
Originally Posted by colt.45
Said it before :

"Not everyone pays the same at the pumps"
pappy

Gas prices here are $191.00 i drive 22 miles one way for 4 hours work...
So lower prices help, Gas Companies will get tax breaks... People with gas guslers they gonna enjoy it, hummers get 6mpg, warmer weather, people do more camping, traveling, then things simmer down, have ta increase drilling, & prices will sky rocket again, just like the 70's gas shortage, & again it will be the low-income workers just trying ta make a living paying the price ...
With this virus scare, people staying home... Dont need ta have an A in grammer ta figure dis out...

flag

$191 is pretty darn expensive. Up in Sherman this past weekend and Sam's had gas for $1.53

Re: Gas Prices [Re: TonyWornick] #7782701 03/23/20 07:32 PM
1860.colt Online Content
emoji colt.45
Online Content
emoji colt.45
My bad $1.91 a gal..
cheers thanks for pointing out the mistake..

flag

i'm postaddic
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide