Print Thread
installing fence post on concrete drive? #7772070 03/14/20 05:54 PM
T
Tin Head Offline OP
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
T
I guess best would be to core the drive way and set post any other options for a wood fence on a concrete slab? The is not a new drive and the concrete is probably about 30 yrs old.
Dealing with neighbors and their 5 cars and two dump trucks using the drive.

[Linked Image]
Re: installing fence post on concrete drive? [Re: Tin Head] #7772095 03/14/20 06:17 PM
S
SnakeWrangler Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
S
How long is the span and is it straight....can you anchor a post at either end and stretch a cable over the span?

If it's that old I would core and cmt posts if I couldn't span the length of it.....

Might try painting a line first....if they cross file trespassing charges.... confused2

Originally Posted by Sneaky
I believe in science and I’m an insufferable [censored]
Originally Posted by beaversnipe
Actually, BBC is pretty damn good

"You Cannot Simultaneously Be Politically Correct And Intellectually Honest!"
Re: installing fence post on concrete drive? [Re: Tin Head] #7772118 03/14/20 06:53 PM
Cast Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
You could bolt a 4x6 down using Strong Ties on the 4” face and secure posts to it.

Cast

[Linked Image]

I have a short attention spa
Re: installing fence post on concrete drive? [Re: Tin Head] #7772159 03/14/20 07:26 PM
B
BigPig Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
B
Best way would be to core it and set the post, but knowing a person who does this, he says digging dirt from anything smaller than 12 inch hole absolutely sucks. Plus it’s expensive.

Bolting to the concrete would be sketchy with even a 6 foot tall fence with the amount of wind it will catch.

Wade Dews, REALTOR ®
Rendon Realty, LLC
Frontline Real Estate Team
www.RendonRealty.com
WadeDews@gmail.com
214-356-2410
Up to 1% for closing costs for First Responders & Veterans
Proudly partnered with Assist The Officer Foundation https://atodallas.org/
Re: installing fence post on concrete drive? [Re: Tin Head] #7772168 03/14/20 07:33 PM
D
Dalee7892 Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
D
Could you core the size hole for a metal round post and drive it into the soil under the concrete. If the hole is a little larger use non shrink concrete to fill in around the post.

Re: installing fence post on concrete drive? [Re: Cast] #7772206 03/14/20 08:26 PM
T
Tin Head Offline OP
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
T
Originally Posted by SnakeWrangler
How long is the span and is it straight....can you anchor a post at either end and stretch a cable over the span?

If it's that old I would core and cmt posts if I couldn't span the length of it.....

Might try painting a line first....if they cross file trespassing charges.... confused2

The span is roughly 120' , straight, that I want to install new. Will be connecting into another straight fence at back of house, span combined will be a couple hundred feet of straight fence. It would have a corner at the street and go across the front of the house.
I was thinking of painting a line also but that seems a little petty. Thought also about putting a post at entrance dividing the drive. They are good folks but need a little help thinking every know and then. roflmao Its just now they are costing me money and I do a great job of that myself. peep The issue comes from a bad design from who ever poured the drive originally. They didn't fully create the neighbors entrance. My side is the entrance for both houses then about 20 feet from the street their drive widens up to normal , if that makes sense. For them to fully use their side they would have to pour about twenty feet of concrete at the street . If they continued to use my side I would have to replace about 40 feet by 12 feet of concrete. The old guys big work truck was a issue but now the sons seems to be working with him and now there's two trucks. loco_too At this point though besides the concrete breaking and the asphalt at the street breaking off in chunks that we drive over , I would like the privacy from a fence. Ill be having a talk with them here in the near future..... I know thats a lot of info for a fence grin , just kinda thinking out loud.

Originally Posted by BigPig
Best way would be to core it and set the post, but knowing a person who does this, he says digging dirt from anything smaller than 12 inch hole absolutely sucks. Plus it’s expensive.

Bolting to the concrete would be sketchy with even a 6 foot tall fence with the amount of wind it will catch.

I believe you are correct , coring would be best

Originally Posted by Cast
You could bolt a 4x6 down using Strong Ties on the 4” face and secure posts to it.

thanks for the help , Ill keep this in mind

[Linked Image]
Re: installing fence post on concrete drive? [Re: Dalee7892] #7772211 03/14/20 08:32 PM
T
Tin Head Offline OP
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
T
Originally Posted by Dalee7892
Could you core the size hole for a metal round post and drive it into the soil under the concrete. If the hole is a little larger use non shrink concrete to fill in around the post.
I think this might be the cheapest route for the post and I think is doable.
I guess another issue with that is will the holes being drilled on the edge of the slab, will they lead to cracking at those points in the future. Im going to look into this. The slab is divided separately so a fence would go down the edge of the slab.

[Linked Image]
Re: installing fence post on concrete drive? [Re: Tin Head] #7772292 03/14/20 10:15 PM
L
LonestarCobra Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
L
Coring and setting would be best, but you could use a Simpson base.

Re: installing fence post on concrete drive? [Re: Tin Head] #7772299 03/14/20 10:28 PM
L
Lazyjack Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
L
Just throwing this out there. Some city's code restrict the weight of trucks in a residential neighborhood. If they are damaging street, a call to city asking for repair of approach could trigger code enforcement involvement.

A privacy fence could be addressed later.

If the 2nd amendment was written just to include guns for hunting, why is there not an amendment to protect fishing poles?
Re: installing fence post on concrete drive? [Re: Tin Head] #7772595 03/15/20 03:13 AM
B
Bildo Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
B
Cut a 10x10 square out where the posts will go. Dig out set and pour. Your spinning your wheels trying to core a circle and then dig it out.

Re: installing fence post on concrete drive? [Re: Bildo] #7772712 03/15/20 01:14 PM
J.G. Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Originally Posted by Bildo
Cut a 10x10 square out where the posts will go. Dig out set and pour. Your spinning your wheels trying to core a circle and then dig it out.

^^This

Rent a gas powered circular saw, buy a couple of spare blades, cut it wet.

I had to pour a pier below an existing concrete pad at home and did this. Intersect your cuts, have two wonder bars handy, and lift out the block you just cut. You can even pull a blue chalk string line and get them perfectly in line. The blue chalk is less permanent than red.

[Linked Image]
800 Yard Steel Range
Precision Rifle Instruction
Memberships and Classes Available
Re: installing fence post on concrete drive? [Re: Bildo] #7772720 03/15/20 01:23 PM
68A Online Content
Extreme Tracker
Online Content
Extreme Tracker
Originally Posted by Bildo

This

[Linked Image]

And this.

Re: installing fence post on concrete drive? [Re: Tin Head] #7772742 03/15/20 01:44 PM
B
BigPig Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
B
How wide is the driveway currently and how wide will it be after installing a fence? I understand the want for privacy, but what are the chances of the neighbors damaging the fence? And will they repair it if they damage it?

Also, with the way you are describing the driveway entrance, and where you want to put the corner post, would you be eliminating their access to their driveway? If so, they could take you to court. I know it sounds stupid, but there are a lot of homes in Dallas with separate driveways and a shared entrance.

Wade Dews, REALTOR ®
Rendon Realty, LLC
Frontline Real Estate Team
www.RendonRealty.com
WadeDews@gmail.com
214-356-2410
Up to 1% for closing costs for First Responders & Veterans
Proudly partnered with Assist The Officer Foundation https://atodallas.org/
Re: installing fence post on concrete drive? [Re: BigPig] #7772937 03/15/20 04:57 PM
T
Tin Head Offline OP
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
T
Originally Posted by BigPig
How wide is the driveway currently and how wide will it be after installing a fence? I understand the want for privacy, but what are the chances of the neighbors damaging the fence? And will they repair it if they damage it?

Also, with the way you are describing the driveway entrance, and where you want to put the corner post, would you be eliminating their access to their driveway? If so, they could take you to court. I know it sounds stupid, but there are a lot of homes in Dallas with separate driveways and a shared entrance.

wow, thanks for the ideas and possibilities that I didn't see. Thanks to all that have posted .

The chances of the neighbors damaging the fence and repairing it are slim to none. I had a window busted out on my truck a couple months back and the played stupid. I didn't see it happen but the shared drive no one has access to that side of the truck but them, parked about 50 yards back from the street. bang The lady was out cutting the grass in the rocks the day before hammer

Looking at the plan view of the drive , technically I would not be eliminating their access . They have a U shaped drive in the front of their house (and straight drive along the side that is shared with mine) . Technically they have 1-1/3 entrance in to their lot. The 1/3 of their drive is what I am considering the main entrance, its my main entrance.
At this point , with the ideas the guys posted , Im going to get the weights of the trucks . Then find out the city code on weight limits. Contact the city to repair the asphalt part that transition from concrete to street (city will probably make me pay for it since its technically on my side). Start playing tit for tat and park my vehicle closer to the street and we will start using their drive duel I am going to talk to them but dont see them spending a couple grand to cut down their bushes and pour more concrete. Heck might even end up with a bright yellow stripe down the drive for time being also. roflmao

[Linked Image]
Re: installing fence post on concrete drive? [Re: Tin Head] #7774178 03/16/20 08:39 PM
onlysmith&wesson Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
I've seen these in use, my neighbor tried them. I know they were good for a few years, before I moved.

[Linked Image]

An unethical shot is one you take, that you know you shouldn't.
Re: installing fence post on concrete drive? [Re: Tin Head] #7775036 03/17/20 04:26 PM
P
PMK Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
P
I would think a Beltec with a good rock bit would drill right thru the concrete, set steel post with a shovel of concrete.

They drilled into solid limestone (I do mean solid, 5' thick where they put in our septic system) at my house to put in ~400' of chain link fence and 80' ornamental fence across the front. Guy came with a tractor with Beltec and had all the holes done in about 1/2 day, seems like it was around $10-12 per hole.

"everyone that lives dies but not everyone who dies lived..."

~PMK~
Re: installing fence post on concrete drive? [Re: Tin Head] #7814583 04/22/20 12:45 AM
P
Phlash Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
P
You can core it, then rent a hydrovac to excavate the holes, or poorboy it and use a pressure washer and a shop vac to collect the water and dirt. You will end up with a hole larger under the slab larger than the core hole.

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide