Print Thread
Non Profit Hunting Clubs #7768004 03/11/20 12:59 AM
D
DWB Montana Offline OP
Outdoorsman
OP Offline
Outdoorsman
D
Hello, David in Montana, myself and a couple friends are leasing a large ranch here in Montana, 45,000 deeded acres . We are considering beginning our own non profit hunting club, which are very rare here in Montana. I am looking for advice on starting a club and being part of one. Thinking we would have 10-14 members . The club would also be part of hosting youth mentor hunts and veteran hunts here in Montana. I would appreciate positive comments, thank you. [Linked Image]

Re: Non Profit Hunting Clubs [Re: DWB Montana] #7768240 03/11/20 12:15 PM
P
Pitchfork Predator Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
P
I have been in one and the negatives were:

Coordinations with other members; limited access; limited sleeping/overnight options.

I believe they can work with the right agreement with the landowner and strong organizational leadership.

I’d be interested......

Marc C. Helfrich
Retirement Planner

www.insured-wealth.com
469-323-8920
Re: Non Profit Hunting Clubs [Re: DWB Montana] #7768934 03/11/20 10:13 PM
D
DWB Montana Offline OP
Outdoorsman
OP Offline
Outdoorsman
D
Does a non profit hunting club then register with the IRS as a 501c7?

Re: Non Profit Hunting Clubs [Re: DWB Montana] #7768964 03/11/20 10:45 PM
D
don k Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
D
Seems like something similar comes about every year.

Re: Non Profit Hunting Clubs [Re: DWB Montana] #7769210 03/12/20 02:25 AM
D
DWB Montana Offline OP
Outdoorsman
OP Offline
Outdoorsman
D
we are not looking for members actually, sorry. Actually would like info, realizing there are a lot of hunting clubs in Texas.

Re: Non Profit Hunting Clubs [Re: DWB Montana] #7769383 03/12/20 12:02 PM
M
Mr. T. Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
M
Originally Posted by DWB Montana
, realizing there are a lot of hunting clubs in Texas.

I guess there are. I just never thought about it that way. For 60 years, I've been on various leases,
I've never been in a Hunting Club. lol

Cabin rental in Pagosa Springs, Co.
Sleeps 10, If interested please PM me.
Re: Non Profit Hunting Clubs [Re: Mr. T.] #7769466 03/12/20 01:26 PM
B
bear64 Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
B
I've noticed folks in texas say "went to the lease this weekend " etc.etc.
in the midwest we say "went to the farm" this weekend
in the south and eastern seaboard they say "killed a good 8 at the club this weekend"

it doesn't matter what you call it, just be sure to get out there as much as possible lol

Re: Non Profit Hunting Clubs [Re: DWB Montana] #7771205 03/13/20 08:53 PM
E
Exiled Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
E
It seems like a huge property to have only that few members, unless I'm missing something. I have a friend who looked into doing something like this in a different state and the biggest obstacles he came across were liability insurance and working out dues/quotas that aligned to state and federal requirements.

Earlier this year I visited the Horn, Fin & Feather club in South Texas while on a Nilgai hunt and those folks run a slick operation, you might want to reach out to them for advice/guidance.

"Who Dares, Wins"
Instagram: @HCConnected
Re: Non Profit Hunting Clubs [Re: Exiled] #7771266 03/13/20 09:35 PM
D
DWB Montana Offline OP
Outdoorsman
OP Offline
Outdoorsman
D
Originally Posted by Exiled
It seems like a huge property to have only that few members, unless I'm missing something. I have a friend who looked into doing something like this in a different state and the biggest obstacles he came across were liability insurance and working out dues/quotas that aligned to state and federal requirements.

Earlier this year I visited the Horn, Fin & Feather club in South Texas while on a Nilgai hunt and those folks run a slick operation, you might want to reach out to them for advice/guidance.

We are not looking to invite the public in to be honest like I mentioned, we plan 10 11 members, perhaps in the future we may add a few. Our goal would be to provide quality hunting experience for members, in addition we would have the opportunity to host other non profits involved with youth and veterans, and host hunts for them. I have been involved for several years hosting wounded warrior groups here in Montana, and I would like that to be a main focus of the club. I realize members want to enjoy it and take game, which they would have ample opportunity to do, but I am a big believer in giving back, especially to our fine veterans, and getting youngsters into hunting.

Re: Non Profit Hunting Clubs [Re: Mr. T.] #7771303 03/13/20 10:17 PM
dogcatcher Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
Originally Posted by Mr. T.
Originally Posted by DWB Montana
, realizing there are a lot of hunting clubs in Texas.

I guess there are. I just never thought about it that way. For 60 years, I've been on various leases,
I've never been in a Hunting Club. lol

Actually you were, but it was an informal one, without a lot of the paperwork. An informal club can operate on a simple set of rules between friends and or relatives. .

Combat Infantryman, the ultimate hunter where the prey shoots back.
_____________"Illegitimus non carborundum est"_______________

[Linked Image]
Re: Non Profit Hunting Clubs [Re: DWB Montana] #7771318 03/13/20 10:30 PM
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
To set up a "formal" club, you could set up an informal partnership, or set up a corporate like structure without going through the gyration of incorporating or filing partnership papers. I wouldn't consider a hunting club as a non profit.

Now if you and the rest of the group want to donate hunts to veterans or special needs children, and create a non profit, you have a lot of hoops to jump through. Especially if you have fundraisers to raise money for these donated hunts. A lawyer to set up the non profit corporation is your first step. Both the most states and the IRS want this, you also have to file paperwork with the IRS for non profit status. Without the IRS 501 status any fundraising is not deductible to the donor and the "gift" is probably income to the recipient.

I think you need a lawyer and an accountant, both need to be familiar with organizing non profits. Screw this up, and your nightmares might just be starting.

[Linked Image]
Re: Non Profit Hunting Clubs [Re: dogcatcher] #7772078 03/14/20 05:59 PM
D
DWB Montana Offline OP
Outdoorsman
OP Offline
Outdoorsman
D
Originally Posted by dogcatcher
To set up a "formal" club, you could set up an informal partnership, or set up a corporate like structure without going through the gyration of incorporating or filing partnership papers. I wouldn't consider a hunting club as a non profit.

Now if you and the rest of the group want to donate hunts to veterans or special needs children, and create a non profit, you have a lot of hoops to jump through. Especially if you have fundraisers to raise money for these donated hunts. A lawyer to set up the non profit corporation is your first step. Both the most states and the IRS want this, you also have to file paperwork with the IRS for non profit status. Without the IRS 501 status any fundraising is not deductible to the donor and the "gift" is probably income to the recipient.

I think you need a lawyer and an accountant, both need to be familiar with organizing non profits. Screw this up, and your nightmares might just be starting.

Thank you. I actually have reached out to an accountant and a lawyer the past few days. We are not trying to get into trouble in anyway. I want everything the club would do to be above board and beyond reproach. I will say this, obviously , most of the hunting will be by members and there family or friends. But we do want to be involved with hosting perhaps 2, 3,4 hunts a year for youth or veterans groups as a main focus of the club. We would not seek donations to pay for club expenses or to help pay for the lease, but if possible, legally, ethically we would like to consider seeking donations or sponsors to commit to the hunts for veterans and youth. I have been fortunate to be part of , and host hunts for our veterans the last several years, and I wish to continue to do so if possible. That is my main focus for , and one I want the hunting club to embrace.

Re: Non Profit Hunting Clubs [Re: DWB Montana] #7772425 03/15/20 12:27 AM
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
This is just a suggestion,leave the club part out of it. Treat your lease as you do now, which is a club, but an informal one.

Create a non profit 501 for helping veterans hunt. You will need bylaws, an elected board of directors, and both state and IRS approval as a nonprofit. The creation of the nonprofit will allow for charitable deductions tp be deductible. The 501 adds legitimacy to non profits/ Some people me included search the 501 status before making a donation. Also no 501 status can make the donations income. As a non profit, your operation is subject to public inspection,

If you and your lease group donate hunts, the value is your actual cost of the hunt, not the value, this can be tricky, personally I would consider it a donation, and forget about monetary value.

My disclaimer, I have been out of the realm for almost 20 years, but I doubt if I have misspoken or the laws have changed much.

[Linked Image]
Re: Non Profit Hunting Clubs [Re: dogcatcher] #7773970 03/16/20 04:53 PM
D
DWB Montana Offline OP
Outdoorsman
OP Offline
Outdoorsman
D
Dogcatcher, I appreciate the reply and thoughts. Like I mentioned, I am turning to people here in Montana, that not only know the IRS laws but also attorney here in Montana that is familiar with what we can do as far as the state. Once again, thank you.

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide