Most Online25,604
Feb 12th, 2024
Print Thread
Marvin Heemeyer, hero or villian? #7770714 03/13/20 02:06 PM
bigbob_ftw Online Content OP
Big Sprocket Bob
OP Online Content
Big Sprocket Bob
When Marvin Heemeyer of Granby, Colorado, reached a dead end in his fight with the zoning commission, the logical response would have been to petition them again and await a future response. After all, Marvin Heemeyer was said to be a logical man, so it makes sense that he would take a logical approach.

Killdozer!

"I was always willing to be reasonable until I had to be unreasonable. Sometimes reasonable men must do unreasonable things." - Marvin Heemeyer.

[Linked Image]

Ultra MAGA '24.
Re: Marvin Heemeyer, hero or villian? [Re: bigbob_ftw] #7770715 03/13/20 02:06 PM
S
SnakeWrangler Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
S
Hero.... 2cents

I read an article years ago that a couple people had a personal vendetta against him and used the power of local government zoning to harass him and prevent him from profiting from selling his property for the new concrete plant. He used the legal system as far as he could take it then decided to strike back at those who railed against him....

Kinda surprised that he didn't harm anyone but himself....just damaged property.

There is some good video of his rampage out there somewhere....

Originally Posted by Sneaky
I believe in science and I’m an insufferable [censored]
Originally Posted by beaversnipe
Actually, BBC is pretty damn good

"You Cannot Simultaneously Be Politically Correct And Intellectually Honest!"
Re: Marvin Heemeyer, hero or villian? [Re: bigbob_ftw] #7770726 03/13/20 02:22 PM
N
NORML as can be Online Content
^^Cut the Cord^^
Online Content
^^Cut the Cord^^
N
A Real manly man.

(R-TX) .-- " TCNN CURL CRLB VFF VRNO AYR SNDL CGC TLRY MSOS "

_=====___=________==-

Re: Marvin Heemeyer, hero or villian? [Re: bigbob_ftw] #7770732 03/13/20 02:27 PM
T
TexasKC Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
T
He went out on his own terms. up

In the end, it's not the years in your life that count, it's the life in your years.
Re: Marvin Heemeyer, hero or villian? [Re: bigbob_ftw] #7770744 03/13/20 02:40 PM
P
Paluxy Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
P
He sold the land to the concrete company and then fought them on building a plant? Did I read that right? This was all over a shortcut that was being taken away?

He’d purchased the land on which his shop was built in 1992, and over the years had agreed to sell the land to a concrete company to build a plant. The negotiations hadn’t been easy, and he’d been having trouble agreeing with the company on a suitable price.

In 2001, the city approved construction of a concrete plant, zoning the land next to Heemeyer’s for the use. Heemeyer was furious, as he’d used the land for the past nine years as a shortcut between his home and his muffler shop. He petitioned the city to have the property rezoned to prevent the construction of the plant, but was rejected on multiple occasions.

Re: Marvin Heemeyer, hero or villian? [Re: Paluxy] #7770750 03/13/20 02:43 PM
Big Sprocket Bob
OP Online Content
Big Sprocket Bob
Originally Posted by Hancock
He sold the land to the concrete company and then fought them on building a plant? Did I read that right? This was all over a shortcut that was being taken away?

He’d purchased the land on which his shop was built in 1992, and over the years had agreed to sell the land to a concrete company to build a plant. The negotiations hadn’t been easy, and he’d been having trouble agreeing with the company on a suitable price.

In 2001, the city approved construction of a concrete plant, zoning the land next to Heemeyer’s for the use. Heemeyer was furious, as he’d used the land for the past nine years as a shortcut between his home and his muffler shop. He petitioned the city to have the property rezoned to prevent the construction of the plant, but was rejected on multiple occasions.

In 1992, Heemeyer purchased 2 acres (0.8 ha) of land from the Resolution Trust Corporation, the federal agency organized to handle the assets of failed savings and loan associations. He purchased the land for $42,000 to build a muffler shop and subsequently agreed to sell the land to Cody Docheff to build a concrete batch plant, Mountain Park Concrete. The agreed price was $250,000. According to Susan Docheff, Heemeyer changed his mind and increased the price to $375,000, and later demanded a deal worth approximately $1 million. Some believed that this negotiation happened before the rezoning proposal was heard by the town council.[5]

In 2001, Granby's zoning commission and trustees approved the construction of the concrete plant. Heemeyer attempted to appeal the decision but was unsuccessful. It was claimed by Heemeyer that the construction blocked access to his shop. He was subsequently fined $2,500[6] by the town council and a city judge for various violations, including "not being hooked up to the sewer line;" he had initially been unable to connect to the new sewer line as the line ran some sixty feet away from his property and the city expected him to pay the nearly $80,000 cost of laying the connector, and after the concrete plant was built the city council denied him the easement necessary to join to the new line underneath the plant.[7]

[Linked Image]

Ultra MAGA '24.
Re: Marvin Heemeyer, hero or villian? [Re: bigbob_ftw] #7770751 03/13/20 02:44 PM
S
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
S
The city rezoned the property next to him. They put the cement plant there instead of on his property. He bought the dozer to make a new shortcut to his shop since the plant was on his old shortcut. He decided to use the dozer to other means.....

Re: Marvin Heemeyer, hero or villian? [Re: bigbob_ftw] #7770767 03/13/20 02:56 PM
H
Hudbone Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
H
I cannot believe, in any way, anyone would perceive these actions to be acceptable in any civilized society. The evil which can fester within the weaker minds among us behooves me.

Re: Marvin Heemeyer, hero or villian? [Re: Hudbone] #7770782 03/13/20 03:02 PM
S
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
S
Originally Posted by Hudbone
I cannot believe, in any way, anyone would perceive these actions to be acceptable in any civilized society. The evil which can fester within the weaker minds among us behooves me.

I guess it depends on how far you are pushed....

Re: Marvin Heemeyer, hero or villian? [Re: SnakeWrangler] #7770783 03/13/20 03:03 PM
Big Sprocket Bob
OP Online Content
Big Sprocket Bob
Originally Posted by SnakeWrangler

see Randy Weaver.

[Linked Image]

Ultra MAGA '24.
Re: Marvin Heemeyer, hero or villian? [Re: bigbob_ftw] #7770839 03/13/20 03:43 PM
H
HuntnFly67 Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
H
Originally Posted by bigbob_ftw
Originally Posted by Hancock

In 1992, Heemeyer purchased 2 acres (0.8 ha) of land from the Resolution Trust Corporation, the federal agency organized to handle the assets of failed savings and loan associations. He purchased the land for $42,000 to build a muffler shop and subsequently agreed to sell the land to Cody Docheff to build a concrete batch plant, Mountain Park Concrete. The agreed price was $250,000. According to Susan Docheff, Heemeyer changed his mind and increased the price to $375,000, and later demanded a deal worth approximately $1 million. Some believed that this negotiation happened before the rezoning proposal was heard by the town council.[5]

In 2001, Granby's zoning commission and trustees approved the construction of the concrete plant. Heemeyer attempted to appeal the decision but was unsuccessful. It was claimed by Heemeyer that the construction blocked access to his shop. He was subsequently fined $2,500[6] by the town council and a city judge for various violations, including "not being hooked up to the sewer line;" he had initially been unable to connect to the new sewer line as the line ran some sixty feet away from his property and the city expected him to pay the nearly $80,000 cost of laying the connector, and after the concrete plant was built the city council denied him the easement necessary to join to the new line underneath the plant.[7]

Wait, wait, wait.

The guy bought dirt for $42,000. Found a prospective buyer for roughly 600% over his initial purchase price, but then decided to bulldoze his potential buyer stating he wanted 25 times more money ($1,000,000) than his original purchase price.

Then the 'reasonable' individual ultimately sold and was mad because HIS TRANSACTION cut himself off from getting access to sewer service AND lost his shortcut to work?

Are those facts correct?

He then threw a tantrum of epic proportions and destroyed his community when he couldn't have his cake and eat it, too?

Yes, Heemeyer "...was always willing to be reasonable until I had to be unreasonable. Sometimes reasonable men must do unreasonable things." There is no reasoning with a man with a mentality like that. I am sure he was a peach of a human.

Just save and except an access and utility easement take the quarter million, reinvest it in a modest growth vessel for 20 years at 10% and you've got over $1.5 mil. A reasonably humble man could then live off the interest and never touch the principal.

But, I get it. Going on a rampage that ends with sucking buckshot out of a twelve gauge like a straw is the reasonable legacy to pass down to your subsequent generations. THAT IS COMPLETELY REASONABLE.

Last edited by HuntnFly67; 03/13/20 03:54 PM.
Re: Marvin Heemeyer, hero or villian? [Re: Hudbone] #7770841 03/13/20 03:52 PM
E
Erathkid Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
E

No kidding. Drop mic.

Life is too short, as is. Don't chance it.
Don't text and drive.
Re: Marvin Heemeyer, hero or villian? [Re: bigbob_ftw] #7770842 03/13/20 03:52 PM
N
NDN98 Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
N
Not a hero!

Re: Marvin Heemeyer, hero or villian? [Re: bigbob_ftw] #7770844 03/13/20 03:55 PM
E
Erathkid Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
E

see Randy Weaver.

Totally different. Feds shot Weavers dog, then killed his wife who was holding their baby. I would have shot back too. No comparison to the old man who got pizzed over a real estate deal.

Life is too short, as is. Don't chance it.
Don't text and drive.
Re: Marvin Heemeyer, hero or villian? [Re: bigbob_ftw] #7770885 03/13/20 04:28 PM
hetman Offline
"Trash Master"
"Trash Master"

[Linked Image]

"Lesser mortals are pitied for the misfortune in not being born Texan."

Re: Marvin Heemeyer, hero or villian? [Re: bigbob_ftw] #7770923 03/13/20 04:52 PM
dogcatcher Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
He had a few loose nuts, and was short a few bricks of a full load.

Combat Infantryman, the ultimate hunter where the prey shoots back.
_____________"Illegitimus non carborundum est"_______________

[Linked Image]
Re: Marvin Heemeyer, hero or villian? [Re: Erathkid] #7770965 03/13/20 05:23 PM
C
Choctaw Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
C
Originally Posted by Erathkid

see Randy Weaver.

Totally different. Feds shot Weavers dog, then killed his wife who was holding their baby. I would have shot back too. No comparison to the old man who got pizzed over a real estate deal.

I almost always agree with Bob and SW, but not on this one. Randy Weaver was targeted by the feds and was the victim of wrongful persecution. The kill-dozer guy was just nuts.

Re: Marvin Heemeyer, hero or villian? [Re: bigbob_ftw] #7771377 03/13/20 11:33 PM
H
Hudbone Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
H
Randy Weaver never shot himself. The dozer operator was nothing more than a swarmy lil [censored] who chose not to stick around and pay for the consequences of his own behavior.

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide